Courtesy of the artist
Julian Lage. Courtesy of the artist
As a child, Julian Lage was quickly recognized as a guitar prodigy. He recorded with David Grisman and toured with Gary Burton before he was old enough to drive. Since then, Lage has evolved into a composer with a deep understanding of the scope of American music, as evidenced by his fine 2011 album Gladwell. But Lage also continues to challenge himself as a musician by writing etudes that stretch his technique.
"I wanted to write a series of guitar pieces that basically challenged me and pushed me to refine some of these things that I hear other players do, but don't quite know how to practice them," Lage says. "Each one embodies a different skill set that I want to get better at."
Lage solos in his "Etude No. 1" and "Alone Together," and joins host Jon Weber for "Just Friends."
- "Alone Together" (A. Schwartz, H. Dietz)
- "Welcoming Committee" (J. Lage)
- "Greylighting" (J. Lage)
- "I Remember You" (V. Schertzinger, J. Mercer)
- "Sleepy Time Gal" (R. Egan)
- "The Prince & The Pauper" (E. Korngold)
- "Etude No. 1" (J. Lage)
- "Just Friends" (J. Klenner, S. Lewis)