Courtesy of the artist.
Gerald Wilson. Courtesy of the artist.
- "Sax Chase" (Wilson)*
- "On The Alamo" (Jones, Kahn)
- "So What" (Davis)*
- "Dorian" (Wilson)*
- "Sentimental Mood" (Ellington)
- "Portrait Of Gerald Wilson" (McPartland)
- "Blues For Manhattan" (Wilson)*
- "Lonely Town" (Bernstein, Comden, Green)
- "Jeri" (Wilson)*
* Denotes selections from In My Time by the Gerald Wilson Orchestra.
Composer and arranger Gerald Wilson has charted the course for some of the legends of jazz, including Duke Ellington, Dizzy Gillespie, Ella Fitzgerald and Count Basie. Wilson got his start as a trumpet player with Jimmie Lunceford's group, but was soon recognized as a composer, arranger and big-band leader with a wealth of sophisticated musical ideas and total dedication to the infinite possibilities of jazz. Host Marian McPartland improvises a musical portrait in honor of Gerald Wilson in a session from 2006.
Originally recorded June 19, 2006.