To share your sounds, use a smartphone or similar device to record a voice memo and follow these steps:
1. Introduce yourself, say where you live and the local time.
2. Describe the scene at daybreak.
3. Record at least one minute of the natural sounds you hear at this time. "Non-natural" sounds are OK — like the clank of a coffee maker or the rumble of traffic — but try to focus on the sounds of creatures outside.
4. Send the recording to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to include your location in the subject line and spell out your full name in the body of the email.
5. If there's a nice photo of your daybreak scene, attach that to the email as well.
We'll broadcast your sounds and stories next week, as part of our Close Listening series. For more information on this project, follow the hashtag #DecodeNature on Twitter and read more of our stories about how scientists are decoding nature through sound.