NPR National Pet Radio Contest
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. OPEN TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE FIFTY STATES AND D.C., AGE 18 OR OVER. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
1. CONTEST SPONSOR. The NPR National Pet Radio Contest ("the Contest") is sponsored by National Public Radio, Inc. ("the "SPONSOR").
2. HOW TO ENTER. The Contest begins at 7:00 a.m. Eastern Time on January 31, 2013, and entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on February 6, 2013. To enter, send an email to email@example.com with two components: (1) a picture of your pet listening to the radio, and (2) the call letters of your (and your pet's) NPR Member Station. From the valid entries, a panel of NPR pet lovers will select seven (7) finalists. The seven (7) finalists will be open to a public vote on http://www.npr.org/blogs/thisisnpr/ from 4:00 pm Eastern Time February 11, 2013, to 4:59 pm Eastern Time February 17, 2013. The entry with the most votes at 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time, February 17, 2013, will be named the winner and will receive a gift pack of items from the NPR Shop. The three runners-up will receive a prize from the NPR Shop. Only one (1) entry per person. Any attempt to submit more than one (1) entry by using multiple/different email addresses, identities, registrations and logins, or any other methods, may result in all of your entries being disqualified There is no fee to submit an entry. By submitting an entry to the Contest, each entrant agrees to comply with and be bound by these Official Rules and acknowledges that the decisions of the SPONSOR shall be final and binding in all matters relating to the Contest.
3. QUALIFIED ENTRIES. To be qualified for the Contest, an entry must contain (1) a picture of your pet listening to radio programming, and (2) the call letters of your (and your pet's) NPR Member Station, as described in paragraph 2 above. The time of receipt of entries shall be determined by the time in which they appear in the inbox of the firstname.lastname@example.org email account. SPONSOR is not responsible for delays in sending or receiving any entry, discrepancies caused by technological defects, internet speeds, or any other factors that may affect the time at which the entry is received. If there is any dispute as to the time at which the entry was submitted or the correctness of any entry, the validity of the entry shall be determined by the SPONSOR in its sole discretion. Entries not satisfying these criteria in any respect will be disqualified. If the SPONSOR, in its sole discretion, has reason to believe that any entry was manipulated, or violated any law or any rights of a third party, the SPONSOR may immediately disqualify such entry and take any other measures the SPONSOR may deem appropriate.
Entries may not include more than one pet. Any entry that contains multiple pets will be automatically disqualified at the discretion of the SPONSOR. The photo must show a pet "listening" to the radio. For example, a pet may be wearing headphones, sitting near a radio, stereo, phone, tablet, or other listening device, or otherwise appear to be engaged in the act of listening. In addition, the Photo must (a) be the entrant's original idea; (b) not include people or images of people; (c) not be copied from any other source; (d) not have been previously displayed or otherwise distributed or disseminated in any media or format; (e) not be in the public domain; (f) not be in violation of or conflict with the trademark, copyright, rights of privacy, rights of publicity or any other rights, of any kind or nature, of any other person or entity; and (g) not include any language or other content that is indecent, inappropriate, morally objectionable or otherwise unfit for dissemination or broadcast, as determined by the SPONSOR in its sole discretion. Entries not satisfying these criteria in any respect will be disqualified. If the SPONSOR, in its sole discretion, has reason to believe that any entry contains any material that may infringe or violate any law or any rights of a third party, or that the use or broadcast of such entry in the manner described herein may infringe or violate any law or any rights of a third party, the SPONSOR may immediately disqualify such entry and take any other measures the SPONSOR may deem appropriate. SPONSOR reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to prohibit any Entrant from participating in the Contest or to disqualify any individual it finds, in its sole determination, to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest; to be attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, hacking, deception, or any other unfair playing practices; to be acting in violation of the Official Rules; or to be acting in a disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person.
4. ELIGIBILITY. The Contest is open only to individual legal residents of the fifty United States who are age 18 and over. Any individuals who have, within six (6) months prior to the start date of the Contest or thereafter, been employed by or performed services (including but not limited to as employees, consultants, independent contractors or interns) for SPONSOR or any of its subsidiary, affiliated or successor companies, and immediate family and household members of such individuals, are not eligible to enter or win. The SPONSOR reserves the right to verify and confirm entrants' ages and compliance with other eligibility requirements. Entrants may be required to submit further information to assist in the judges' verification of eligibility. Entries will be deemed made by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at the time of entry. The authorized account holder is the natural person who is assigned to the mail address by an internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization that is responsible for assigning an email address or the domain associated with the email address.
5. WINNER SELECTION. Judging will commence at the time the Contest begins and continue until all entries submitted prior to the Contest end time have been reviewed. The Contest judge(s) shall be a panel of three employees of NPR and/or such other person(s) as may be selected by the SPONSOR from time to time in its sole discretion (the "Judges"). From the entries, the Judges will select seven (7) finalists, based on the following criteria, weighted equally: (a) originality; (b) creativity; (c) Photo composition; and (d) representation of NPR's mission. In the event of a tie, tied entries will be re-judged based solely on the criteria of overall quality of the Photo and the Photo's representation of NPR's mission. The seven (7) finalists will be open to a public vote on http://www.npr.org/blogs/thisisnpr/ from 4:00 pm Eastern Time February 11, 2013, to 4:59 pm Eastern Time February 17, 2013. The finalist with the most votes at 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time on February 17, 2013, will be named the winner and will receive a gift pack of items from the NPR Shop. In the event of a tie resulting from public voting, the panel of three NPR employees shall select the winner as the one that, in their judgment, best represents NPR's mission.
The Contest Winner will be notified on or about February 19, 2013. The Contest Winner will be required to sign and return within five (5) business days of receipt a notarized Affidavit of Eligibility and any other documents that SPONSOR may reasonably require. If the Contest Winner does not reply to any notification within forty-eight (48) hours, or fails to return any required documentation within five (5) business days of delivery to the Contest Winner, such Contest Winner may, in the sole discretion of SPONSOR, be disqualified and an alternate Contest Winner may be selected.
6. PRIZES. One (1) Contest Winner will receive a gift pack of items from the NPR Shop, including an NPR Black Logo T-Shirt, NPR Klean Kanteen, and NPR Bottle Sling. The total approximate value of the Prize is $70. Three (3) runners up will receive one NPR Share More Chico Bag from the NPR Shop. The total approximate value of the runners' up prize is $13. No substitution, cash redemption or transfer of right to receive prizes is permitted, except in the discretion of SPONSOR, which reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value. Prize consists only of items expressly specified in these Official Rules.
7. GRANT OF RIGHTS. By submitting a Photo entry, the entrant grants to SPONSOR a non-exclusive, assignable, perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free license to produce, publish, distribute, transmit, exhibit, exploit, publicly display, edit, add to, modify, and license the Photo and any portions thereof in any format by any and all means, uses and media, whether audio, print, audiovisual or otherwise, now or hereafter known, throughout the universe in all languages, for any purpose, whether editorial, commercial or otherwise. Entrant also waives any and all moral rights in the Photo with respect to any use by NPR, its member stations, sublicensees, or assigns.
Each entrant agrees and acknowledges that participation in the Contest, including, without limitation, the Entrant's decision to provide the entrant's submission to SPONSOR for purposes of the Contest, shall not give rise to any confidential, fiduciary, implied-in-fact, implied-in-law, or other special relationship between SPONSOR and entrant, does not place the SPONSOR in a position that is any different from the position held by members of the general public with regard to elements of the entrant's Photo entry, and that the only contracts, express or implied, between the SPONSOR and entrant are as set forth in these Official Rules and the release forms.
8. ENTRANT REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, INDEMNIFICATION AND RELEASE. By entering, each entrant represents and warrants to the SPONSOR that his/her entry is (i) completely the original work of the entrant and was created solely by the entrant, (ii) not copied from any other source or previously broadcast or otherwise distributed or disseminated in any media or format, (iii) not in the public domain, and (iv) not in violation of or conflict with the trademark, copyright, rights of privacy, rights of publicity or any other rights, of any kind or nature, of any other person or entity. Entrant agrees to defend and indemnify SPONSOR for any breach of the above representations. By submitting an entry, each entrant agrees to indemnify, defend, release, discharge and hold harmless SPONSOR and its parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, promotional partners and agents, and all others associated with the development and execution of this Contest, and the officers, directors and employees of each of the foregoing, from any and all claims and liabilities arising from or in connection with participation in this Contest, including without limitation (a) claims for injury, loss or damage of any kind resulting from participation in this Contest or acceptance or use of any prize and (b) claims based on rights of privacy, rights of publicity, false light, defamation, copyright and/or trademark infringement relating to the submission or exploitation of the entrant's concept.
9. RELEASE OF CLAIMS. Each entrant acknowledges that the SPONSOR engages and has engaged in the developing, writing, acquiring, producing, publishing, disseminating and/or broadcasting of literary, artistic, and other material, including stories, ideas, themes, plots, titles, treatments, formats, and concepts (collectively, the "Materials"). By submitting an entry in the Contest, each entrant acknowledges and agrees that any Materials that the SPONSOR may hereafter use or exploit may have originated with the SPONSOR or may have been acquired from the SPONSOR's employees or other parties, and that such Materials may duplicate, parallel or resemble the Photo submitted in the Contest by the entrant. By submitting an entry, each entrant acknowledges that he or she understands and agrees that the SPONSOR's use of Materials containing features, ideas, material and/or elements similar to or identical with those contained in their entry shall not entitle the entrant to any compensation whatsoever. As an inducement to SPONSOR to accept the entrant's entry into the Contest, each entrant hereby waives any claim or right of action against any of the SPONSOR or their successors in connection with the SPONSOR's use of any Materials (or any portions thereof) whether or not such Materials contain any features, ideas, material and/or elements similar or identical to those contained in an entrant's entry.
10. GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS. By entering the Contest, each entrant grants permission to the SPONSOR to use his/her name, photograph, likeness, and/or biographical information for SPONSOR's programming, publication, publicity, advertising and all other promotional purposes without compensation, review or approval, unless prohibited by law. The SPONSOR reserves the right to terminate, modify or suspend this Contest due to any of an act of God; unavoidable accident; epidemic; fire; blackout; act of public enemy; war, riot or civil commotion; enactment, rule, order or act of government or governmental instrumentality or tribunal; strike, lockout or other labor dispute; inclement weather; the recapture of any time period scheduled for the live broadcast of a program for an event of national importance or emergency; failure of technical facilities; failure of essential production, or technical personnel to appear or be available for production or broadcast; or other cause beyond its control. SPONSOR is not responsible for lost, late, illegible, incomplete, damaged, mutilated, misdirected, mis-delivered, or delayed entries, or for technical or human errors or failures of any kind in connection with the submission, transmission, processing or judging of entries. SPONSOR SHALL NOT BE OBLIGATED TO AWARD ANY PRIZE THAT RELATES TO OR ARISES OUT OF IMPROPER OR MISTAKEN PRIZE NOTIFICATION, OPERATION, OR FUNCTION OF THIS CONTEST.
11. GOVERNING LAW. This Contest is governed by the internal laws of the District of Columbia without regard to principles of conflict of laws. All cases and claims pertaining to this Contest must be brought in a court of competent jurisdiction in the District of Columbia.
12. WINNER'S NAME. For the name of the Contest Winner, available after February 25, 2013, send a separate self-addressed, stamped envelope to NPR National Pet Radio Contest, NPR, 635 Massachusetts Ave., NW, Washington, D.C. 20001. If the request is made after April 1, 2013, please send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to NPR National Pet Radio Contest, NPR, 1111 North Capitol St. NE, Washington, D.C. 20002. Responses will be provided to all requests made prior to February 25, 2014.