For immediate release
October 3, 2006
Chad Campbell, NPR
NPR SHOP TO OFFER SEVERAL UNIQUE GIFTS FOR THE HOLIDAYS
Highlights at shop.npr.org Include Driveway Moments And NPR Jazz Christmas CD Sets, Hanukkah Lights Book, NPR 2007 Wall Calendar, And Page-A-Day Calendar from Wait Wait…Don’t Tell Me!
Washington, D.C.; October 3, 2006 – For those seeking unique gifts this holiday season, look no further than the NPR Shop (shop.npr.org). The NPR Shop offers several fun items for everyone on the list, including: Hanukkah Lights: Stories of the Season with forward by NPR’s Susan Stamberg, Driveway Moments Complete CD Collection, NPR 2007 Wall Calendar, Wait Wait…Don’t Tell Me! 2007 Page-A-Day calendar and the CD An NPR Jazz Christmas with Marian McPartland and Friends III.
Since 2000, the NPR Shop has been offering a variety of high-quality gifts including many NPR-branded items and gift sets not available anywhere else, including radios, coffee mugs, a cookbook, music collections, and apparel. NPR fans can find branded items from all their favorite NPR shows including Morning Edition, All Things Considered, Wait Wait…Don’t Tell Me!, Car Talk, Talk of the Nation, and Fresh Air from WHYY. All proceeds support NPR programming.
· An NPR Jazz Christmas with Marian McPartland and Friends III ($14.95, available October 2, 2006): For more than 25 years, jazz pianist Marian McPartland and her guests have teamed up for an hour of weekly jazz sessions on Marian McPartland’s Piano Jazz. For the holidays, the NPR Shop offers An NPR Jazz Christmas, the third in McPartland’s holiday CD series, which includes in studio performances of holiday tunes featuring Bill Charlap, Renče Fleming, Michel Camilo, and Blossom Dearie. Also available in box set with all three NPR Jazz Christmas CDs ($35.00).
· Hanukkah Lights: Stories of the Season ($19.95, book with CD): With introductions by NPR Special Correspondent Susan Stamberg and NPR contributor Murray Horwitz, Hanukkah Lights brings together twelve stories from NPR’s beloved "Hanukkah Lights" holiday special, along with a CD of four bonus stories. With a mix of modern folklore, personal memoir, and contemporary takes on the holiday, Hanukkah Lights explores the many facets of Jewish storytelling.
· Driveway Moments Complete Collection ($60.00, 4-2CD sets): The Driveway Moments Collection pays homage to the NPR stories, or "driveway moments," where even after you have reached your destination, you sit in your idling car to hear it all the way through. The Complete Collection includes the first three Driveway Moments two-disc compilations plus this year’s Driveway Moments for Dads two-disc compilation featuring the most popular NPR stories about or by Dads. Individual CDs in the series are now available; the Complete Collection will be available October 6.
· NPR 2007 Wall Calendar ($11.95): For the third year, NPR put a call out to American artists to express what NPR's devotion to the arts, culture, and in-depth news and analysis looks like to them. This year’s theme is photography and features original photographs from several top American photographers.
· Wait Wait…Don’t Tell Me! 2007 Page-A-Day calendar ($11.95): Wait Wait… Don’t Tell Me!, the hit, irreverent news quiz show broadcast weekly on more than 400 NPR stations, offers a Page-A-Day® calendar for news junkies. With a wink and a definite nose for the offbeat, this quiz calendar tests knowledge of politics, pop culture, science, and other items straight from the headlines, plus mystery quotes and limerick challenges. Published by Workman.
In addition to the holiday offerings, the NPR Shop features several books by NPR staff, including the latest from Senior Correspondent Juan Williams, Enough; National Desk Correspondent John Burnett’s Uncivilized Beasts and Shameless Hellions: Travels with an NPR Correspondent; The Kitchen Sisters’ Hidden Kitchens: Stories Recipes and More; Sudoku by Puzzlemaster Will Shortz; NPR contributor Ted Libbey’s The NPR Listener’s Encyclopedia of Classical Music; and This I Believe: The Personal Philosophies of Remarkable Men and Women from independent producers Jay Allison and Dan Gediman (also available as an audio book; October 3).
The NPR Shop also offers several fun gifts sets: "Winter Blues Remedy Set, "Driveway Moments Complete Car Kit," "All Music Considered Collection," "NPR Road Emergency Kit," "Complete Puzzle Lover’s Collection," "The NPR Cooks Gift Set," "I heard it on NPR: The Complete Collection," among many others.
Using the NPR Shop is easy and secure. The NPR Shop accepts Visa, Master Card, Discover and American Express, and can gift-wrap merchandise for a small fee. Standard shipping takes 7-10 business days, and express shipping via UPS takes 2-3 days. Unless noted, all gifts are available now at the NPR Shop.
NPR Shop Website: shop.npr.org