We're proud to announce that once again, NPR Music and our public radio partners WGBH Boston and WBGO Newark will be traveling to the CareFusion Newport Jazz Festival for two days of live on-air and online broadcasting, plus archival recording. We'll be covering all three stages of the festival Aug. 7-8, 2010 and hoping to record acts like Wynton Marsalis with Dave Brubeck, Ahmad Jamal and the Maria Schneider Orchestra.
You can hear a stream of festival concerts through free audio webcasts at NPR Music, and also through the radio signal of WBGO at 88.3 FM in the New York City region. NPR Music's coverage will be available at npr.org/newportjazz, where we'll be hosting artist interviews, photo streams and a live chat. Afterward, we'll post the recordings, including select downloadable podcasts, for free listening at our Newport Jazz hub. Already, you can explore the archive from 2009 and 2008.
We'll be streaming live from around midday-7:30 p.m. on both Saturday and Sunday, Aug. 7-8. WBGO's Josh Jackson, host of The Checkout and the Live At The Village Vanguard collaboration with NPR Music, will anchor the coverage live from the mother of all jazz festivals. The previous weekend, NPR Music will also be broadcasting from the Newport Folk Festival.
Here are some of the concerts we are hoping to feature. For a full list, see the official Newport Jazz website.
Saturday, Aug. 7
- Maria Schneider Orchestra
- Jamie Cullum
- Darcy James Argue's Secret Society with Bob Brookmeyer
- JD Allen Trio
- Rez Abbasi Acoustic Quartet
- Julian Lage Group
- Trio da Paz with Harry Allen
- Berklee Global Jazz Institute Septet
Sunday, Aug. 8
- The Wynton Marsalis Quintet with Dave Brubeck
- Jon Faddis Quartet
- Dave Douglas and Brass Ecstasy
- Ben Allison Band
- Gretchen Parlato
- Matt Wilson Double Quartet
- David Binney's Third Occasion Quartet
- Ken Vandermark's Powerhouse Sound
- Amina Figarova Sextet
- Conrad Herwig's Latin Side of Herbie Hancock
- Marshall Allen, Matthew Shipp, Joe Morris