Simeon Morales-Füss/Courtesy of the artist
Many have weighed in this week on the influence of the late valve trombonist and composer Bob Brookmeyer.
Many have weighed in this week on the influence of the late valve trombonist and composer Bob Brookmeyer. Simeon Morales-Füss/Courtesy of the artist
Happy Holidays all. The blog will be active with fresh content early next week, though I will be away. Thanks for reading, and see y'all in 2012.
- Too many year-end lists. Peter Hum files, and points out more. The definitive year-end consensus list, as compiled by Francis Davis, moves from the Village Voice to Rhapsody.com this year — hang on for that.
- Some more Bob Brookmeyer tributes: John Hollenbeck. Ben Ratliff's old Times piece. Carole Sloane. Clark Terry. Darcy James Argue is keeping track of all the links. Go back for the JazzWax interview.
- Sam Newsome, soprano saxophone specialist (especially solo), has been blogging. Here's an interesting piece about "Post-Dave-Douglas Syndrome" and the struggle to keep a project going.
- Wadada Leo Smith is the subject of this epic narrative from Lyn Horton.
- Stefon Harris, vibraphonist, gives a TED talk/performance themed "There are no mistakes on the bandstand." Lyle Mays, keyboardist, on performing quite literal math-jazz at TEDxCaltech, via Jazz Online.
- "How jazz pierced the Iron Curtain": on Vaclav Havel and music.
- A nice story about a young musician who learned to play trumpet without full fingers.
- Booker Little: an old profile from 1961.
- New Jazz Consumer Guide, now independent.
- Washington D.C. jazz best-ofs! Capitalbop on the top five and the honorable mentions. The Post features records with D.C. ties. The local alt-weekly hands out awards. Always nice to see Not-New-York folks caring about the scenes they live in. (Yes, I live here too, but still.)
- Paul McCartney will release a standards album, backed by Diana Krall's band.
- A very Satchmo Christmas, 2011 edition.
- Destination: Out has posted some Okay Temiz and Johnny Dyani bits (I actually know this record!) and a Sam Rivers contest.
- JazzWax on Sonny Stitt's "Varitone" and more.
- The Jazz Session spoke with trombonist James Hirschfeld and percussionist Andrew Cyrille.
- The Checkout presents a Holiday Spectacular with the Matt Wilson Christmas Tree-O.
Elsewhere at NPR Music: