The logo for the Center City Jazz Festival — provided it launches.
The logo for the Center City Jazz Festival — provided it launches. CCJF
Swing, Swang, Swingin': verb conjugation a la Jackie McLean.
- The Center City Jazz Festival is being started up by a Philadelphia musician, trombonist Ernest Stuart. It's being crowdfunded in large part through Kickstarter. David Adler reports more details here.
- RIP Jimmy "Junebug" Jackson, drummer with Jimmy Smith and D.C. hero.
- Ahmad Jamal interview at All About Jazz. Terell Stafford too.
- Jose James interview at The Revivalist.
- Chris Albertson has been posting some hip recordings lately — Bud Freeman, Howard McGhee, etc.
- A Michel Petrucciani documentary, which premiered at Cannes, is out.
- L.A. jazz clubs need more loud drunks, apparently.
- Pro Sonny Rollins, anti Kennedy Center Honors.
- "Jazz, Max Weber, and the Breakdown of the Protestant Ethic."
- Trombone Shorty is on this year's New Orleans Jazz Fest poster.
- The Jazz Bakery is getting a permanent home in Culver City, designed by Frank Gehry. Apparently, he is working pro bono.
- The Village Vanguard on Yelp. What people who don't revere the place think.
- Destination: Out has a guest post on low brass man Bill Lowe, from Taylor Ho Bynum.
- JazzWax spoke with vocalist/pianist Meredith d'Ambrosio, whose new recording has a rather powerful story behind it.
- The Jazz Session spoke with saxophonist Noah Kaplan and pianist Tom Wetmore.
- The Checkout spoke with Benny Golson.
Elsewhere at NPR Music: