Erich Auerbach/Getty Images
The contemporary composer Gyorgy Ligeti, pictured here circa 1975, was a jazz fan, it turns out.
The contemporary composer Gyorgy Ligeti, pictured here circa 1975, was a jazz fan, it turns out. Erich Auerbach/Getty Images
On Monday, we'll be out-of-office, but we'll leave a little surprise for you here.
- The Grammys were awarded last Sunday. The winners.
- Jazz History Online's newest edition is out, with pieces on the Swingle Singers and Sheila Jordan and a few reviews.
- Gyorgy Ligeti on jazz, as interviewed by Benoit Delbecq for Do The Math.
- Christian McBride on Freedom Suite, the Freedom Now Suite and Black, Brown and Beige, from Alternate Takes.
- RIP Jodie Christian, a Chicago jazz pianist and co-founder of the AACM.
- "Rock Is The New Jazz. Sorry, Rock." in PopMatters. Uh, yeah.
- Chris Tarry: fiction writer, badass bassist.
- Pianist Dan Tepfer on reinterpreting Bach's Goldberg Variations. The interviewer is pianist Lara Downes, who released her own interpretations of the Goldbergs last year.
- Greg Thomas on BAM vs. jazz, part two, with metacritic John Gennari.
- John Coltrane as graphic novel.
- Denzel Washington as Thelonious Monk in a new biopic?
- Dosa Hunt. This is gonna be great.
- Boney James is NOT recording music for an adult film called Riding the Flying Pink Pig.
- Ted Panken has posted a Buddy DeFranco interview and profile.
- Destination: Out has posted Amina Claudine Myers' take on some classic Marion Brown music.
- JazzWax spoke with Rudy Van Gelder.
- The Jazz Session spoke with drummer Aaron Staebell and saxophonist Ben Wendel.
- The Checkout spoke with saxophonist Tim Berne and drummer Johnathan Blake, and recorded the Ben Wendel Group in the studio.
Elsewhere at NPR Music: