Farewell Tom Terrell

Tom Terrell

1950-2007 Jeff the Purple hide caption

itoggle caption Jeff the Purple

A friend of mine — and a friend to so many others — passed away.

I met Tom Terrell so many decades ago, I was in a band, and he was DJing at the 9:30 Club in Washington, D.C.
His love of music spanned a world of tastes. Recently, Tom was writing for NPR: wonderful bits of personal thoughts, eloquent and funny essays, like the time he and his friends went to see Yes. Back in their early days, you didn't see many black folks at a Yes concert. You can hear his essay here.
Tom managed the band Steel Pulse and was a terrific reggae DJ on WHFS, as well as an inspired music journalist and publicist. He loved to spread to the word about all music great and small. I will miss his smile and his positive force — oh, and that wonderful, wonderful voice.

I've asked some friends who knew Tom Terrell to pass along some thoughts.
If you knew Tom Terrell, please add your memories.

—————————————————————————————————
The greatest cheerleader and friend I've ever known. Tom on the surface was a people magnet —- that infectious smile, quick fire humor, the hours upon hours of chatter, will all be missed. Beyond the surface he was a wealth of knowledge and well of genuine enthusiasm. I remember many occasions when he would describe a music or musician that I had never heard. I would always find myself feeling like I had just tasted the juiciest music on the planet —- just from his words. Tom's sister called him a "promosexual" on the day he died and I laughed and laughed.

Bill Warrell
producer ...or DCI Production

———————————————————————————————-
I never once spent time with Tom Terrell that I did not feel better for having been in his company. He was bright as a whip, funny as hell, and able to communicate his deep love for and knowledge of music to people from all walks of life. And whenever life or the biz were getting me down, he would grin and say in that gorgeous, radio-ready voice, "...but you're Christina Roden!" in a tone that had me convinced that this actually meant something, if only to him, which was more than enough. This was typical of his unstinting professional generosity and solidarity. You see, we were in the trenches together and we had each other's "back." I'll always miss him.
Christina Roden
Journalist, Producer, Publicist

————————————————————————————————-
First met Tom when he worked at a record store that an acquaintance ran on Capitol Hill sometime in the mid- to late 1970s. He was somebody I immediately liked. I imagine that was most people's experience with him. He talked me into writing a few record reviews for free for a newsletter the store put out. It was so much fun just to talk about music with him. We fell in and out of touch over the subsequent years. From time to time, he would pitch stories he wanted to do for NPR, but nothing ever panned out. This year, we got to work together on his last record reviews for NPR. His enthusiasm for music had not dimmed one bit, despite his health. And, at a time when I was going through a rough spot at work, he helped me feel that our work together was important and fun and interesting. He rekindled my enthusiasm. He gave me new life when his was slipping away. He was an inspiration, and I imagine he was for a lot of people.
Tom Cole
Editor
National Public Radio

—————————————————————————————————-
For me, he was our own "First Man About Town" — every place he went, Tom not only knew the owner, but anyone else there that mattered. Not only that, but they were glad to have his own brand of joy in the house. My life, and our city, is less without him.
Michael Jaworek
Promoter for The Birchmere

—————————————————————————————————

Tom Terrell was a lovely human being with a huge smile and a warm hug. His love of music was deep and infectious, and he used his prodigious knowledge and great writing skills to spread the word to people far and wide. He was much loved in the music community and will be sorely missed.
Tina Pelikan
ECM Records

————————————————————————————————-
I have this picture in my mind of the original long bowling-alley bar at dc space, way before we smashed through the wall to the barber shop that became the back bar, way before new wave and punk rock made its way to the loft (and nearly brought the ceiling down) when dc space was only open for lunch unless there was an avant-garde jazz concert or a performance art piece on a Friday or Saturday night, and that odd mix that inhabited our "cosmic neighborhood" bar is swilling down Harp lager or Whitbread Ale and there sits Tom Terrell, laughing and smiling and talking with everyone.
Michael Barron
friend, guitarist (Tiny Desk Unit)

Comments

Please keep your community civil. All comments must follow the NPR.org Community rules and Terms of Use. NPR reserves the right to use the comments we receive, in whole or in part, and to use the commenter's name and location, in any medium. See also the Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Community FAQ.

Tom was always there. My earliest recognition of him was his voice on 'HFS. Then his presence at dc space and 9:30 setting the vibe. When I moved to NY it seemed he went right along with me (he did). I'd see his byline and then he'd be calling up to promote an artist. Even this year I still discovered we had similar musical interests. Big hearted, wonderful man. Peace and Blessings Tom!

Sent by andrew lyman | 11:15 AM | 11-30-2007

Tom Terrell was one of the funniest, kindest, most generous and most knowledgeable people I will ever know. His passion for music was infectious, and his unflagging joy and optimism were inspiring. I think it's a safe bet that anyone who had the good fortune to know Tom will miss him terribly.

Sent by Regina Joskow, Verve Music Group | 12:07 PM | 11-30-2007

I loved listening to Tom on WHFS in the 80's. He was truley a great DJ and his love for music and for what he did just came through in such a genuine, cool and inspring way. I did not know Tom personally until a few years ago when I had the opportunity to work with him. It was so great to meet the guy that I knew as an HFS legend and to iind him to be just as cool, smart, funny and warm in person. He will be missed

Sent by Patrick Ferrise | 1:39 PM | 11-30-2007

Oh man, this makes me so damn sad... Tom and I go way back to the mid-eighties when we both were doing radio. We met at a community radio conference in DC where I learned of my mother's passing and I had to leave real fast... We wound up working closely together in 1989 and for many years when he was handling all the radio promo at Mango/Island Records and I was the manager of Boukman Eksperyans (Ha??ti). All I can say is that we spent a lot of time together then and working was only part of it. He even joined us during one of the Africa-F??te tours. After leaving the U.S. for Canada I was able to get Tom to The Montreal International Jazz Festival where I worked as program manager and we'd be able to see each other every summer for a couple of weeks and on an intense basis. I knew he was ill, we spoke about it and other things many times and he even came for a visit in Montreal last August. His stamina, positive energy, good vibes and general outlook on his ailment and on life in general kept me hoping for his recovery and trusting that it was indeed going to happen... All I can say now is that I am so thankful to have had the privilege of meeting him and spending a long time with him and that our world was graced by the presence and the influence of such a wonderful being... I know you're gone Lil Tommy T. but you're always be here as far as I'm concerned. Tonight, I'm dedicating my Radio-Canada program to you and, as our old inside joke used to go, "Don't forget the soap!". Rest in peace bro!
Dan Behrman
Espace musique/Radio-Canada, Montreal

Sent by Dan Behrman | 3:31 PM | 11-30-2007

I worked at a record store in College Park where he sold promos (not revealing any trade secrets am I? LOL) and later I worked at a record store on the campus of the University of Maryland where a co-worker who was in the DC ska band The Now also knew Tom.

By that era, 1989-1990, I think Tom was working for Island Records at the time.

Always a pleasure to talk to or deal with professionally.

So UNLIKE the majority of people who worked for record labels in that Tom genuinely loved music and was an upbeat person.

Most of the people who worked at the old 930 Club were a bit intimidating but not Tom. He will be missed.

Sent by Glenn | 4:47 PM | 11-30-2007

tom was a beautiful brother, a man so full of light, love and genius. he was admired and adored by his friends and those of us lucky enough to have worked with him in any capacity. what a huge loss. god bless his family and his armies of comrades in the music and journalism community, who i'm sure are reeling from his passing ...

goddamn it, it should be raining today.

Sent by sheena lester | 9:50 AM | 12-1-2007

It was nice to share some moments with Tom at the DC Space reunion show at the 930 Club earlier this year. He was the only DJ that would play our album (Tony Perkins and the Psychotics)on the radio. Tom had a full life and didn't waste it. Rock on, dude.

Sent by Carl Cephas | 11:03 AM | 12-1-2007

So much has been said about Tom T., I just don't know what to say. He had an incredible spirit, and has was always all about the music.

I still spin at Nightclub 9:30, and it was always fun being there on a night when Tom was spinning, and of course, he even made the meetings a blast with his stories; always with the stories.

I remember one particular story about Funkadelic at the Howard Theater "back in the day," that's just not NPR safe. Ya had to be there.

Later Tom,

DJ Tommy B

Sent by Tom Berard | 2:25 PM | 12-1-2007

Tom made you feel like your presence mattered, yet the one in the room who had all the knowledge and lived the life in music for all the right reasons was Tom.

Sent by Becca Pulliam, WBGO | 2:57 PM | 12-1-2007

It hit me hard when I learned Tom was gone just a few hours after his passing. We go back to the late 70s when we were music programmers at WPFW and he lived at 54 R St., NE, the site of some legendary parties. Imagine the dance music with Tom as deejay. Imagine the clean up the day after.

I did not even know he was battling terminal cancer for a year. I took for granted Tommy T was doing fine, doing what he loved most. Having moved to Charlotte in 1991, I was out of touch, save once when he turned up as road manager for Thomas Maphumo in Atlanta during a National Black Arts Festival. I only heard Tom once in a blue moon on NPR as I was driving and he was offering his critique on a recording; he knew so much about so many genres.

It hurts me to think that he passed from something that could have been cured if caught in time. I was inconsolable the last few days, thinking that I would never hear his voice again. I remembered, though, that as long as NPR.org had archives, I could hear my friend at his best.

If I could only have one more day to tell you, Tom, how much you have meant to me.

Sent by Jacquelin Peters | 6:35 PM | 12-1-2007

I met Tom at a summer job we had together in the early seventies. Later we shared a house in NE DC. It was there that Tom taught me that is was okay for a DC brother to step outside the boundaries of typical black R&B, and soul music. We listened to WGTB radio station in the mornings as they played Genesis, King Crimson and Yes. I traveled with him to see a Yes concert in Philly. Tom took me numerous concerts and exposed me to all types of music, opening my eyes and ears. Because of Tommy Tee, music became in intergal part of my life and helped sustained me through times of despair and happines.
I wasn't fortunate enough to continue our close relationship throuhout the latter stages of Tom's life. But i will always remember Tom and the influences that he had on me. Tom I love you very much. Rest comfortably my brother. Yours 4ever Kenny.

Sent by Kenny Statom | 12:16 PM | 12-2-2007

Tom was my greatest cheerleader of all..when I thought I could not sit behind a mike and share my love of music, he sat with me and developed a format for my program...I wrote everything down and he said to me "you don't need to write anything down. You know this,just listen." And so it was that I learned to listen keenly, to everything, all the music he introduced to me and more importantly to that little voice inside that told me what Tom always told me 'you can do it.' Thank you.

Sent by Andrea Hutchinson | 3:11 PM | 12-2-2007

As Shirley Bassey sings"..Where do I begin". I met Tom back in the mid 80's when he was DJing at the old 9 (when it was a Mecca) There were three DJs there that really influenced me Tom, Milo & Lamont. I listened to what they spun and absorbed it like a sponge. I had my own style but listening to these particular DJs really made me expand my realm of DJness. I listened to Tom on HFS and he made me laugh and take notice of incredible music. Tom moved into my apt building and told me that he felt that this apt was one of the best ones he moved into and really felt at home. It was special to have three DJs in the building "..Me, Tom & Big "B" The cross section of music between us three is truly out of this world. Some of Tom's friends chipped in and bought him an Ipod. I personally put three CDs on his Ipod -- Juliette Lewis & the Licks, Blunted & me'shell ndege'ocello. Now with me some songs remind me of certain people, so now when ever I hear any song off any of these CDs it will remind me of putting them on Tom's Ipod. There is one song on Me'shell Ndege'ocello's CD where she sings "I'm just a Soul on the Planet trying to feel good and do good" I feel this relates to the essence and being of Tom. For those of you that know him he was a very unique Soul on this planet. It was not easy seeing him lying in bed sleeping peacefully kinda knowing that he was probably not going to wake up. It is not easy going into his apt and knowing that he will never visit it again. It is not easy for me to accept losing a good friend fellow DJ.
Master TGT ...you have etched your notch in my Heart & Soul.
Love Ya,
Teddy George
Aliendjs

Sent by Teddy George | 12:46 AM | 12-3-2007

I worked with Tom at Verve Records back in the early '90's and began a friendship that was long and deep..he was a sensitive soul with an infectious personality. When he became sick, we spoke often about what really matters in this life. He taught me a lot, showed me a deep love and respect and his spirit will live on in my heart. Fare ye well, my friend, have a good trip onwards....i will be thinking of you.

your pal
chris maguire

Sent by christopher maguire | 1:37 PM | 12-3-2007

Was always a fan of the Clone Ranger/Tom T. reggae sets on WHFS in the 80's, and had the good fortune of getting to know Tom better when he and I worked for years at the Record and Tape Exchange in College Park, Md. Tom was a preternaturally energetic, opinionated, intelligent man of distinctly broad musical tastes who turned me on to so much good stuff. He was also a great spinner of tales: about everything from seeing brothers freaking the hell out at Betty Davis' first DC show at Howard U. (?), road stories of his globetrotting tours with Steel Pulse, hanging out with Marley and the Wailers during their awesome run of shows at the Apollo in NY...more besides. For my part, I could always count on cracking Tom up at work with a character I made up, based on all the bottomfeeding music industry locals who'd skulk in to RTX to sell promo lp's. I called him 'Sammy Sleazeball'; Sammy talked like the sprog of Damon Runyan and Tony Soprano and was forever trying to con Tom into working for him at his record co., offering outrageous sums of money and perks, include in his per diem 'an extra ten per cent for the tootski' (Tom never indulged in that sort of thing, of course, but this was the 80's).

After that, our paths diverged, but even after moving to the West Coast I'd see his byline here and there, and always be glad to read his thoughtful and articulate musings on music, culture, even mortality (a column he wrote for the GLOBAL RHYTHM ezine about the funeral of Shirley Horn, who I was surprised to discover was family, was an especially moving latterday TT gem).

Though I was never able to come back East for any of the amazing benefit shows done in his honor, after some detective work I tracked down his sister's phone number, and I seriously cherish the brief chat he and I had that afternoon a few months back...even in his condition at that time, he was still optimistic about the future, cheery, and as he had been from the first, encouraging of my own lit.-crit. career, such as it is.

Now Tom's gone, and I miss him terribly. And somewhere in his bling-encrusted high rise,I'm sure even Sammy Sleazeball is shedding a few tears right now.

Sent by Micahel Layne Heath | 4:14 PM | 12-4-2007

I am deeply saddened to learn of Tom's passing. He was such a passionate supporter of music, a great ally to our artists at Real World and a wonderful guy to work with. His departure is such a loss for the music community in America.

Sent by Cheryl McEnaney | 4:33 PM | 12-4-2007

Tom Terrell's and my life have intersected and intertwined at different crossroads and times over the pass 20+ years.

I first met Tom through my good friend Habte Selassie (WBAI-FM), when I was managing a Reggae artist, "Ras Tesfa" --- the first Reggae artist to record in Spanish. That was followed by the both Tom and I just seeming to be at the same concerts, functions and venues --- and, oddly enough, just knowing the same band of gypsies.

Later on, while working at UniWorld Group advertising agency, I convinced my client, that they could sell a lot more product, if we did a targeted marketing and advertising campaign using reggae and other world music. Amongst the over 5 music groups I chose, was "Steel Pulse" for Reggae. The campaign was hugely successful --- breaking the mold and opening doors for world music talent for advertising and sponsorship deals with major U.S. companies.

In talking to Tom, I found out that he was "Steel Pulse's" Tour Manager earlier. We had lots of touring stories to share and laugh about until our sides ached :-)

Tom and I became fast friends, and would stay in touch over the years, sharing music, biz tips, the joy of life, summer sunshine and our ever expanding circle of friends who make a difference in life and care. It would not be officially summer for me, until I saw that wide smile and felt that warmth of friendship, from Tom at the SummerStage concert series in Central Park.

Brother Tom was a gift to all of us...

The Ancestors Have Welcomed Our Brother Tom Terrell Home!

Sent by Gill Pessoa | 7:04 PM | 12-4-2007

I met Tom as a young woman and our brief friendship exposed me to another world. It was a lonely path for a black woman who loved progressive music growing up in the hood of DC, but in Tom I found a comrade. Tom was a serious listener of the music - Hammer & Goodman, Genesis, Yes, Mahavishnu, et al. I missed a lot of the '70's soul as I worked my way through British guitarists, rock symphonists and bands. And it was so good to hear a brother on WHFS! Tom introduced me to my future husband but I will never forget his incredible smile, awesome DJ'ing and love of a good time. . . A peaceful transition, Tom, and the best to all of us who sang loudly "mountains come out of the sky and they stand there" . . .

Kathy English Holt

Sent by kathy english holt | 10:35 PM | 12-4-2007

On the first day of my first year at Howard University, the first person that I met was Tom Terrell. He was an upper classman that lived down the hall, and immediately took me to his room to show off his vinyl music collection. The year was 1969, and his collection stands out as the most eclectic, interesting, and extensive I have ever seen.

Tom was special and you instictively knew it. He saw unlimited potential, possibilities, and choices, and never acknowledged any limitations. He had a look in his eye suggesting that he knew something that you needed to know, but it was tempered by a generous spirit that fiercely reserved the right to be an individual and insisted that you do the same.

Tom was a photographer in college, providing visual insights into the lives of college students, while working on the Howard university yearbook staff and the weekly paper titled the Hilltop. His signature jeans and Army surplus jacket were his constant companion, and Tom was in his fifties the first time that I saw him out of uniform!

For many years, one of my perennial stops when in DC was to see my old friend Tom. I knew that I would be the beneficiary of an excellent concert, featuring the latest and the best in music, but also the history, folklore, importance, and the motivation of the artist.

I lost touch with Tom for almost 20 years, and reconnected when I met his sister Mona at a function in New Jersey a few years back. I figured that she was Tom's sister before I asked, but was struck by how proud she was to tell me so. I of course knew his sister Bev who was my classmate, and they are a shining examples of the great Howard University families that defined our school.

I heard one of Tom's reviews on NPR one day, and pulled over the car to listen to the radio. I told my kids that this person was my friend, realized that I harbored the same pride and enthusiasm that I heard coming from Mona.

I will miss my friend, and the way that he helped me believe that I could do anything and have a great time in the process. And for those of you who did not know Tom Terrell, please do yourself a favor and ask somebody who did!

Sent by Albert W. Morris, Jr., M.D. | 9:35 AM | 12-5-2007

Tom was my friend, He had many many friends. He was a great friend. Tom had my back. For as many years as I've been making my particularly (eclectic) changing music(s) Tom was my cheer-leader...always saying YES! That broke my heart, or that inspired me...He shared all his friends... trying to connect the world. We often met for lunch in a dive (a now disappeared diner on Lafayette st. in NYC...) Discussing music, the world and our loves and losses...
I wish I could talk with him about this great loss... for all of us... Tom.

Sent by Nora York | 12:43 PM | 12-5-2007

As Miles Davis noted in "Listen Up: The Lives Of Quincy Jones", "Black children grow up scared." I know I did. So it meant the world to know that brothers like Tom were out there
digging the world's "powerful motley of experience", as Amiri Baraka once wrote. He gave me the confidence to pursue the things I loved. Knowing someone like Tom was out there made me feel less lonely. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a little lonely today.

Sent by Reuben Jackson | 10:34 AM | 12-6-2007

This all happened so fast.
I was looking up his address today and found this. I hadn't seen the memoriam in the Post, which could have gone on for many pages.
And I hadn't seen Tom in 20 years, but when I heard he was ill back in June, went to the 9:30 Club benefit. He was as sharp as ever, and I thought: "if anyone can beat this, it's Tom." Upon seeing me, Tom immediately hugged me and introduced me to his family, and started telling tales about our old days at Tower, the fun we had, and we vowed to get together again. But we never had the chance.
Tom didn't ever let on that he was hurting, or that he believed he was nearing the end. It was just "See ya soon- love ya, man."
I miss him and will always treasure the happy memories I have of him. He was the real thing, and his friends are legion. Rest in peace, my friend, you earned your spot in rock n' roll heaven.

Sent by Bob Giarrusso | 1:49 PM | 12-6-2007

rather than writing about the deep impression that tom had on me when I met him only some years ago, I'd like to share a video that we recorded working on a documentary film ("sneaker stories"). he was a great inspiration, here, there and everywhere: great wit, energy, humor, insight, words and character. he may have left the building, but his footsteps will always be there.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3xcskMNhy0

Sent by Markus Wailand | 4:16 PM | 12-6-2007

I met Tom in 1989 when he was tour managing Thomas Mapfumo and the Blacks Unlimited of Zimbabwe. This turned out to be a somewhat dramatic, and for Tom, deeply meaningful experience. So last year, as I was working on a book about Mapfumo, I sat Tom down and interviewed him for some two hours about the experience. Tom was, as ever, witty, articulate, intense. It was only a few months later that Tom learned he was sick. So I really treasure those two hours we spent reminiscing about a subject we both felt so passionately about. I've posted a long excerpt of the interview on www.afropo.org. For those who knew Tom, I recommend reading it. For a brief time, he will live again. Tom was one of the nicest guys I've ever known, but tough when it counted as well. All that and more is here. Here's the link:

Sent by Banning Eyre | 4:40 PM | 12-6-2007

It was a priviledge to be a part of the cosmic alignment that put the 9:30 club on the grid.
The dynamic forces of mystery united and the right people showed up at the right time.
Tom was one of them.
Always a smile and an outward energy.
It was an appropriate atonement to have done the benefit this summer.
He soaked it up right good. Surely he has made it comfortably to the other side.
Hey Tom - keep the dance floor warm for when the rest of us make it there!
Love to all of you - Dody

Sent by Dody | 6:33 AM | 12-7-2007

Tom, what do I say about a man I met ove ten years ago, who I hardly saw after I moved to Florida in 1998,other than we were instant friends. He was warm, wonderful, sincere, positvie...when he walked into the room he would light it up with him fabulous smile. I would get a call from Tom every now and then just to see how I was and to tell me he missed me and wanted to come down to Florida for a visit.....unfortunately that day never came. The last time I saw him was at the benefit for him in New York. He was wearing a bright smile and looked great, his positivity is what I keep in my heart...that was his gift to us all. I will miss him, his calls and sincere hugs and smiles....but they will be in my heart sharing a special place with the family and friends that belong there. Thank you to Joy Bell who brought TT into my life. God and the angels are with you now. God Bless you, Tom Terrell and God Bless his wonderful family....Mom, Sisters, etc. who I had the pleasure of meeting in NYC.

Sent by Maria DeVito | 4:28 PM | 12-7-2007

How could one man be so sweet, so funny, so smart and so kind? If you ran into Tom, your day changed for the better. he had the light, and he shared it. You saw he loved life and loved people and nothing got in the way of that. It's so horribly sad to think I won't run into anymore. But he was a lesson in how to live - and I know it would be a mistake to ever forget that. He was giving that lesson every moment. I can't say good-bye.

Sent by valerie gladstone | 7:22 PM | 12-7-2007

Funny, engaging. Out of the haze I remember Tom running into my dorm room at Howard Univesity in the early 1970s with an album which looked like a Zippo lighter. The album was entitled "Catch a Fire". "Man, check this out," he said. The artist was Bob Marley and the Wailers. Such a positive and beautiful force. I will miss him!!!

Sent by Dr. Charles Moses | 10:59 PM | 12-7-2007

Tom was my angel during freshman week at Howard University in 1970. His mission, I would say, was to let all the young, naive freshman women know to beware of upperclass men. Unfortunately, our paths never crossed after he graduated, But I can see from all the positive relationships he's had that he continued to be a blessing to many.

Sent by Kathie (Henderson) Anderson | 11:26 PM | 12-7-2007

Every time I ran into Tom, always at a music event, in the 14 years that I knew him, he had something positive to say. There were no troubles or worries, just music to be savored. I will miss him terribly.

Sent by Nick Charles | 1:14 PM | 12-10-2007

I remembered hearing Tom Terrell's essay about the band Yes when it aired. While a roundabout way of remembering someone so on the inside of the music business, I guess it says something that when I saw this farewell, that I immediately recognized his four minutes of fame on NPR. Great going! Good to see you have a cadre of kindred spirits rallying around you, wherever you are, in the heart of the sunrise, I suppose.

Sent by John Tynan | 6:43 PM | 12-14-2007

Double T man you know I???m gonna miss ya
It was like yesterday, but it was really 1985 on the grounds of the Washington monument that you and Dera Thompkins introduced me to one of my musical heros, the late Augustus Pablo, so I feel blessed to have linked with you for 20 plus years first in D.C., NYC a little UK in between and then DC again as we spoke in late October. You were and still are one of the few guys who had diasporadic taste in music and you always easily knew the either the top or most talked about artists in most any genre.
I remember hanging with you first on R Street Northwest DC, 1st Avenue in the East Villy and lastly on 14 street in DC again. From the girls, to the gigs to knowing the bigs - I feel blessed to have had the "hang time" on all levels with you and see you above Double T.

Iley Brown

Sent by IE Brown | 2:01 PM | 12-19-2007

I never met him, though we shared the same name. For many years in the 80's when I lived in DC I was often "accused" of being on the radio. I would have enjoyed knowing him and am sorry to hear of his passing

Sent by Tom Terrell | 9:55 PM | 1-6-2008

tom was right there ,and i lost out being so caught up in this busy life, that others were able enjoy what i was born into (His Family) luv u scooter!

Sent by dj | 12:01 AM | 3-14-2008

The long tongues tour, the 9:30 club, that party where Mr. Barry was "locked in the bathroom", the cosmic crew, all that promo music you gave me, the lessons, the music, the photos, the brilliant words, the unwavering friendship. you left a mark on my heart and soul.

Sent by darrell shines | 4:41 PM | 5-30-2008

Hi,

I am a program assistant working with the National Association of Black Journalists on the upcoming Unity convention where Tom Terrell will be honored. I wanted to know if a high resolution copy of his photo could be sent to me. I hope to include it in our In Memoriam video. I can be reached at (301) 445-7100 x107.

Krystan Hitchcock

Sent by Krystan Hitchcock | 12:19 PM | 6-9-2008

I met Tommy T first as "that Voice" on 'HFS when I was in junior high school. I met "that Smile" at dc space and the 9:30 Club when I was underage still. And then, a blessing sweet but ephemeral, at SatchmoFest 2005 in New Orleans I let "some Photographer" stand in front of me...and you'd have thought I was his best friend. It took some sleuthing; we recognized the other. And thus, for two short years were connected again. He was supportive, kind, generous. And I am so sad that yet another of "the Favorites" has passed.

Sent by Wendi Berman | 9:20 PM | 6-18-2008