Video: Calexico Part Two

Calexico is marking the release of its new album, Carried to Dust, with a series of videos that include some nice, live performances of their new songs. This is the Second installment:

I've been spending time with Carried to Dust, and think it may be the band's best album. It's an elegantly produced collection of songs, with some wonderfully haunting moments. Joey Burns and John Convertino, the duo behind Calexico's music, draw heavily on their favorite sounds: Portuguese fado, spaghetti westerns, Mexican mariachi, folk and rock. It all comes together on Carried to Dust as a richly seasoned and mature mix.

Here's the first video installment:

Burns and Convertino have long been taken by what they see as the majesty and mystery of the American Southwest, particularly their hometown of Tucson, Ariz. (They talk a lot about this in the videos). The sprawling city, where they've lived since the mid-'90s, has been the subject and inspiration for much of their music over the years, and Carried to Dust continues to drink from that well with ghostly narratives about the "strange people" they've encountered. Calexico colors the scorched landscapes with enough romance and strange curiosities to make you want to linger.

Stay tuned for more!

Comments

Please keep your community civil. All comments must follow the NPR.org Community rules and Terms of Use. NPR reserves the right to use the comments we receive, in whole or in part, and to use the commenter's name and location, in any medium. See also the Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Community FAQ.

I liked both chords on Two Silver Tree.

Sent by Tom Hendricks | 1:17 PM | 8-29-2008

Listening to this story from Indiana made me homesick for Tucson. For me, Calexico's music reflects the essence of the town I grew up in. I can almost feel the warmth of the summer sun.

Sent by Monica | 10:55 PM | 8-29-2008

hmm i counted at least 5 chords
FAIL

Sent by jeremy | 3:04 AM | 9-2-2008

Yeah, it's a good thing that other factors such as lyrics, tone, vocal quality and taste don't really count.

Sent by Jeff | 12:08 PM | 9-2-2008

Correction to Robin. It never gets to 120 degrees in Tucson only Phoenix which averages 7 - 10 degrees warmer than Tucson.

"On average Tucson has 47 days of 100?? or above and less than 1 of those days being over 110??." The record number of 100?? or above temperatures in a year is 99 set in 1994. That same year set a record for the most days reaching 110?? or above. There were a total of 10 days in 1994. The most consecutive number of days with temperatures 100?? or above is 39 beginning on June 4th, 2005. The most consecutive number of days seeing temperatures 110?? or above is 6 beginning on June 24, 2004.
Source: KOLD TV Tucson AZ

Please correct your story thanks.

I meant the southwestern u.s., not phoenix specifically - rh

Sent by az gal | 1:26 PM | 9-2-2008

yipi! Thanks for the post Robin.
looking froward to the new album, being a huge fan myself.
Apparently Calexico finally got tire of playing along with friends (iron & wine, mariachis of Luz de Luna..and others..)
and are getting back to the root of the landscape that's calexico music.

2 chords, but can you play drums like Mr. Convertino?

Sent by dre | 12:10 PM | 9-4-2008

Musica e parole da brividi come sempre

Sent by Massimo | 12:31 PM | 9-5-2008

I'm a huge fan of Burns & Convertino and remember watching them play in the Hotel Congress lobby when they were the Friends of Dean Martin (later Martinez), or on stage with Giant Sand. I spent a year and a half or so slumming around Tucson and much of it inside that old building. Interesting to see that that sweltering summer ('94) still holds the records for the most hot weather. The heat drove everyone I knew completely certifiable at one point or another. The heat wasn't for me but Tucson is a unique place with its own culture and strange energy.

I caught Calexico earlier this summer at a free outdoor festival here in Detroit. They were fantastic. Looking forward to the new album.

Sent by Svengali | 10:14 PM | 9-7-2008

Have worked with these guys at a free concert in Tucson, (Reid Park).

They are a joy to work with and have a generous spirit.

Sent by Jim Klingenfus | 4:14 PM | 9-8-2008

I love Calexico and their music. I'd rather hear Calexico play one chord than hear most bands on the radio playing them all.

Sent by Mark Greenberg | 10:50 PM | 9-8-2008

Maybe not as good as Feast Of Wire but Calexico will go down in history as one of the truly great bands!

Sent by Henrik | 12:20 PM | 9-9-2008

I saw Calexico the day after they played Calexico California for the first time. At that time, I realized they are an alt-western band, a very good one too.

Sent by jk | 2:23 PM | 9-10-2008

I love the new cd "carried to dust" and I hope to see the whole band in Paradiso Amsterdam on the 15th of october.

Sent by kees bos | 5:53 AM | 9-15-2008

Calexico are fantastic-great album- thank you so much!

Sent by Kiki | 11:09 AM | 9-15-2008

whoa my degree signs turned into ??
copy and paste can bring surprises one never thought!

Sent by az gal | 6:12 PM | 9-16-2008

I don't know, when I saw them on this video's it sounds like they want it and I like it, without a band and a second voice. They used to make music with adventure in it and now it sounds al to beautiful. Please give me only the gitar and drums, the voice and the exiting music pieces as they can produce so well.
greatings from Amsterdam

Sent by HEls | 3:25 PM | 9-17-2008

John Lee Hooker did pretty good with just one chord most of the time. Quantity doesn't always equal quality. Calexico's economical sound is refreshing.

Sent by Craig in Tucson | 12:06 AM | 9-20-2008

Catch the current tour if you can folks. We just saw them in Oxford, the new songs sound great and the band were on top form. Already looking forward to the London gig.

Sent by Graham | 10:52 AM | 9-20-2008

Calexico can be so many things.

The originality of their music, and their ability to play with so many different musicians is amazing.

yes im from Tucson and maybe biased, but not much beats seeing them live, backed by a whole mariachi, Luz de Luna...4 trumptes 4 violins, and much much more...and Lula..Tucson loves you:)

as a matter of fact, that happened last night

cheers

Sent by Jamie | 4:48 AM | 9-22-2008

Is this the same group I watched on Austin City Limits a few weeks ago??I really enjoyed the way you mixed the sounds with Mexican sound. Could you tell me what songs were song or what "CD" you have with these songs on it?

Sent by George Brame | 4:59 PM | 9-23-2008

Ah the Tap Room at Congress... good memories and good bloody mary's!!

I lived in Tucson for 10 years and never saw Calexico play live. Now on my 1 year anniversary of moving to Seattle I'm going to see them play at the Moore Theater, I can't wait.

Sent by josh | 1:24 AM | 9-24-2008

They just put on a great free show in Chicago's Millenium Park for the annual World Music Festival before an attentive, if not overtly enthusiastic (rowdy) crowd. Much as I'd like to see them in a more intimate venue, this show was definitely about the music. The new tracks sounded great and I for one, was moved. Was impressed by their unselfishness onstage as well. Despite the fact that they were the headlining act, they graciously gave much of the spotlight to collaborators, Mariachi Luz de Luna and others. Their music is evidence of the fact that beauty is to be found in economy and simplicity.

Sent by Zachary Ward | 2:05 AM | 9-26-2008

Just met several of them on a flight from Chicago to Seattle. Nice guys and interested in their music, good mexican food and a great mole' to boot.

Sent by Jim Underhill | 8:55 PM | 9-26-2008

I just saw them Thursday at the World Music Fest in Chicago. I was mesmorized by their music. Their sound is unique . Love it! It left me wanting more.

Sent by beca | 12:02 AM | 9-28-2008

You can talk about music but words don't mean a thing. Just listen. I've been waiting so long for this new album, and it was worth it!
I'm looking forward to the concert in Amsterdam.

Sent by Andr?? | 12:47 PM | 9-28-2008

Just saw them last night at the Music Box in Hollywood. It was my birthday, and this could not have been a better present. Consummate musicianship mixed with an egalitarian spirit makes this my very favorite band.

Sent by Dan | 7:26 PM | 9-30-2008