Inside The BPP

FAQs About 'The Bryant Park Project'

What is 'The Bryant Park Project'?
On the radio, The Bryant Park Project is a morning drive-time news show that will change your life, speed up your commute, and jack your test scores 50 points — in whatever order you choose. On the Web, The Bryant Park Project is a glorious digital river of podcasts, videos, photos, blogging, debating, and giblets so cool we're afraid to name them.

Do I belong here?
You bet. Look, they let the rest of us in. Our gang aims to make you feel at home, with surprising interviews and tasty segments soaked in fully carbonated NPR smarts. So pull up a chair, will ya?

Why 'The Bryant Park Project'?
NPR New York is right across the street from Bryant Park — which is where they have Fashion Week, which is sort of like the center of the universe, which is sort of like us. Plus, the boss liked it.

What's the purpose of 'The Bryant Park Project' blog?
Think of it as a combination laboratory, cocktail party, and invitation to take this outside. We'll use the blog to experiment with nifty stuff, from story ideas to multimedia wowees. You might catch a glimpse of what's coming up on the show. You might catch a glimpse of what happened after a story aired. Most importantly, you'll get a chance to have your say — about The Bryant Park Project in particular, or about the wider news of the day.

Watch the blog for stories to love, sites to get stuck on, songs to set on "repeat," and true confessions from Bryant Parkers like you ... whatev, whenev.

Who can comment?
Everyone except your imaginary friend. You don't have to sign up to comment, but that could change as we add new features.

Do you have rules about what people can or can't say in the comments?
Uh, yeah. Discussion rules arehere, in language we can all understand.

Will you read blog comments on the show?
Yes. We live for call-outs.

What if I have a question or comment that I don't want the world to see?
Use the "Contact Us" form. It'll be our secret.

Can I suggest stories on the blog?
We wish you would. Use the "Contact Us" form.

Can I link to your blog?
Absolutely!

Will you link to my blog?
Maybe, maybe not.

Comments

I'm already laughing my ass off... thanks for telling communications to f*** off. It will be nice to know that someone is finally conquering the bureaucratic obstacles that often prevent NPR from doing anything new and interesting (let alone funny)... I look forward to much more from you guys.

Sent by Tim Hoal | 11:31 AM | 4-6-2007

The Bryant Park Project sounds like a pretty interesting and compelling concept: melding audio, text, and perhaps video in a web-accessible, anytime format (as well as via traditional broadcast media). I'm excited about the potential and will be watching to see how this develops. Good luck, guys,

Sent by Gary | 2:15 PM | 4-7-2007

What's your problem with my mom? She's a nice lady and makes good cookies. And she loans me money.

Sent by Wolf | 11:41 AM | 4-8-2007

Good idea, best of luck but one pointer: stick to the meat of the story like NPR has continually championed through the years. In my late 20's, I find that NPR stands apart from other news outlets in that it is straightforward: comprised of factbased, expert findings that leaves the opinion to the listener. Please keep it balanced and amicable.

Sent by Dave | 1:12 PM | 4-9-2007

more ladies pushing 2 dogs in a stroller but this time make em angry rotwiellers straining to get out

Sent by wizzy | 2:33 PM | 4-9-2007

Dude, "Eye in the Sky!" What a rockin' tune.

Good luck with the project!

Sent by Nathan Cone | 10:04 AM | 4-10-2007

I personally am a super excited 26-year old. A fan of NPR and all its shows for as long as I can remember, it pains me to see that there are often people my age who have a misinformed opinion that NPR is generally boring. It also is a great source of frustration that the Alan Parsons Project reference is lost. Congrats and good luck!

Sent by Leah | 4:34 PM | 4-11-2007

What a fabulous concept; this 50-something will definitely be checking in with the BPP regularly (as well as with the Alan Parsons Project.)

Sent by Dena | 8:19 PM | 4-11-2007

As a NPR addict in his mid-20s, I'm excited for the Bryant Park Project -- a program geared towards me, but so far my feelings are mixed. As I've scanned through the blog posts so far, I find them funny, but it seems that Matt and Luke are trying too hard to be hip. While I've never met them before, I reckon they're hip, but the appearance of trying too hard will cause a project to fizzle.

Sent by Steve Petersen | 10:36 PM | 4-11-2007

You guys are a fresh delight. I'm a 40-something (nearly 50-something), avid NPR listener for many years, as well as a neophyte web junkie, and I thank you for potentially sprucing up the morning show. I admit to having cut down on my am/pm NPR listening since the war started and I could no longer listen to the straight news without beating my steering wheel, so I hope Bryant Park will give me a way back.

Sent by Emily | 6:16 PM | 4-13-2007

I actually like the Bryant Park Project as a name for your new show!

Sent by lr | 5:52 PM | 4-28-2007

morning gang!

any moms out there? here! these are for you!

IF yer really serious about getting a blog community going this is an excellent article to check out.

7 Tips to Build a Blog Community
By Pachacutec

Pachacutec is a long time poster and spends quite a bit of time over at Fire Dog Lake which is a superb blog community.

Sent by Sunshine Jim | 11:24 AM | 5-13-2007

This is looking like a good thing. I listen to NPR all day long. Hope to hear this new show this fall.

Sent by Alison Swann | 9:32 PM | 6-1-2007

I smile at the target audience description (I'm 42)... isn't 40 the new 30, 30 the new 20...? Yes! So, I'll tune in for quite a while as it sounds like you've got a great show developing.

Sent by Merry Dinant | 8:42 PM | 6-16-2007

Mazel tov. I am delighted about your new program and suspect I am your "target demographic." I am old enough to be flattered when someone asks for my ID, but young enough for friends to apologize for calling me before ten am on a weekend. That said, you might be criticized for ageism or pandering. Why lose a listener who feels young at heart if he/she/it is an old fart?

Sent by Catie | 5:21 PM | 6-19-2007

At 28 I have been listening to NPR for several years now. I have tricked my friends into thinking I am super-smart by opening almost half my sentences with "well, last night on NPR I heard..."
I am excited to see a program like this one being launched. Please, please, do not loose the thing that I love about NPR: Straight facts with easily remembered data. One more thought, I find that almost all news I hear is either about America or about counties directly affecting America. I want more world coverge! Iraq does not count! I wish you the best.

Sent by Emily W. | 1:06 AM | 6-28-2007

I am a SIRIUS Satellite Radio subscriber...will I be able to get this progam on SIRIUS? It sounds like a great idea and really timely (2008 elections) Looking forward...

Sent by Anne | 7:47 PM | 7-14-2007

I love love love the B double P.

My wife and I, both squarely in the sweet spot of your demographic, love Alison from her guest hosting of Countdown (she's the only guest that can pull off Keith's format) and Luke from his guest duties on Wait Wait.
It's about time you are both the headliners.
You are getting it just right. Serious news, great guests, some irreverence. It captures the feeling of listening to friends. Very well-informed friends with the NPR news apparatus at their fingertips.
Keep it up.

Sent by Jim | 10:58 AM | 7-30-2007

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU for recognizing the genius that is Sars!! Those of us who've been members/"Just Lurking" on TWoP for years, or who are StalkerFans of hers through TomatoNation.com, have been praising her and passing her around [cybernetically, that is] [is that a word?] to our friends, but maybe with NPR exposure, Sarah Bunting will get the world-wide attention she so richly deserves.
Oh, and congrats on BPP -- you'd probably consider me too old, but since I'm 24 for the 6th time this year, I too am in your "target demographic" -- and I plan to stay there for the rest of my life!

Sent by Anne Marsh | 1:34 PM | 8-10-2007

After watching humourous Ali on 'Countdown' a few times, i am hooked. Can't wait to hear Peabody Winner A.S. (and Luke) daily with that razor sharp wit and sardonic wisdom that my favorite Brown Univ. grad imparts. Don't forget the progressive minds out here in 'fly-over country.' Bill W. is one lucky VP.

Sent by Spanky O | 10:36 PM | 8-24-2007

I must be getting old. At 41, I've been listening to NPR for 15 years or so, and have enjoyed the alternative to commercial radio, both music and news stations. After listening to a few of the podcasts, it sounds, (at least to me) just like the local commercial stations, the "lite rock" stations that have this male/female morning personalities that have causal conversations on the news.

I've always appreciated NPR for keeping away from this format, and it seems with the changes at Morning edition, and the new project, it feels like the programming is moving more toward commercial info-tainment.

It's a good show, it just feels like it's in the wrong place.

Sent by Scott | 7:25 PM | 9-9-2007

Oh hell...I will MOST definatly be listening to the bryant project. I love npr but lets be honest, it really isn't apealling to 20-somthings and now I think it will be. Praise the lamb, npr is doing something rad!

Sent by christy jensen | 9:43 PM | 9-11-2007

I am looking forward to the advent of the BPP on the airwaves. I am curious if once the broadcast goes out over radio if it will be carried on Sirius and also if the Podcast will continue?

Sent by Bradford Benn | 12:46 PM | 9-19-2007

as a 20 year old and ardent NPR listener, I have yet to be won over by the BPP. trust me, i'm trying. i listen to podcast, and i WANT to like the show--but i'm still strugling. I guess the problem is it just sounds to me like the trashy morning show i have to listen to at my college's on campus job. i feel talked down to. sadly...

Sent by Jane | 11:17 PM | 9-20-2007

as an older listener (and i'm not a mother!), i have noticed or felt that week day morning npr has a tendency to sound like a funeral dirge and/or have hosts with homogenous and serious tonal qualities that have a rather soporific effect...the information is certainly high quality and mentally challenging but sometimes stoic and dry...some emotional exuberance added to the presentation of important current and cultural events is refreshing albeit a bit too frenetic at times...may the heart and soul Human qualities of the bpp continue to develop and grow at npr...i look forward to choosing the high octane of BPP...keep pumpin!!!

Sent by jay | 8:52 PM | 9-21-2007

NPR 2.0. Love it. For more alt radio, check out B-Side Radio (http://www.bsideradio.org).

Sent by Claudine Zap | 6:18 PM | 10-16-2007

I really like BPP so far!! Maybe I shouldn't, since I am way out of your target demographic. I'm a fifty-something who has been listening to NPR since the very beginning. I worked at the radio station in college in 1971 when it joined up with this newfangled thing called National Public Radio. I even got a couple of stories on ATC in the early days. BPP is a lot less formal and structured than the tentpole shows like ATC and ME, but that's ok.

Here's a trivia question that I bet you young whippersnappers won't know the answer to - What was NPR before it was NPR. Answer - It was called National Educational Radio Network or NERN, a loose confederation of educational (that's what they called it then) radio stations. God, I'm old!! Keep up the good work!!

Sent by Jim Foster | 7:59 PM | 10-30-2007

Excellent idea! Finally NPR is using the power that gets from the millions of listeners in the world.
Hope 4 the best!
LuisM
Hoboken NJ

Sent by LuisM | 11:56 AM | 11-2-2007

Sorry folks, but trying to compete with commercial radio with endless bantering and senseless chatter, not to mention the emphasis on tabloid news, does NPR a disservice.

Sent by Marc Russon | 8:48 AM | 11-6-2007

Go back to your original music - the new stuff is awful. It's like SportsCenter lite.

Sent by ileen | 11:42 PM | 11-14-2007

I have to say I like BPP and its fun attitude. However, talking over each other and side comments can be really distracting, even tiring. After a number of shows, it comes off as pretentiously staged.
Alison Stewart has some real skill interviewing people and great political acumen. She can also keep on topic which makes for more content per minute. I'd like the others to take more cues from her. Nothing wrong with a modern NPR show, but it should still be more content than giggles. Thanks for a great show!

Sent by Kurt | 9:01 PM | 11-21-2007

Did I misunderstand? You talked about the big three Xmas shows having a huge audience each year. This year each show had approximately 10 million viewers each. That would be 30 million viewers in a country of 300 million. My math skills are not great but I think that is 10%. What were the other 90% of the country doing if these shows are supposedly so universally watched?

Sent by Dennis Delaney | 11:31 AM | 12-25-2007

Loved the "Jingle Cats" song. Brought a nice lift to a rather drab Christmas.

Sent by Tom Brown | 7:27 PM | 12-25-2007

There is something missing in your web presence. We can only comment on the audio BPP if you (Laura) decide to create a blog entry for a story. You should have a minimal entry for each bit if you really want to be interactive.

Sent by Marc Naimark | 9:35 PM | 1-5-2008

BPP is terrible. I switch to another station as soon as I hear that annoying chatter and noise. It's not what NPR is to me. It sounds like a college student-run local station.

Sent by Mick | 10:52 AM | 1-20-2008

As an ex-NPR affiliate employee (and a 36-year-old), I appreciate the effort by NPR News to get people born after 1965 interested in public media. We are sick and tired of hearing geriatric mass media stories that don't relate to our post-modern, post-corporate Baby Buster lives. I do agree with some of the posted comments here: BPP hosts often do try too hard to be hip -- and the happy-talk a.m. sports segments with Alison and her husband go on WAY too long! That said, best of luck with this effort to grow NPR's audience.

Sent by Dan Hockensmith | 10:07 AM | 1-24-2008

I've been listening since the beginning. I thought what the heck- I'll podcast them and give em a try.
I'm 59 - and never thought the BPP would appeal to me - guess what- I'm addicted to THE BPP. Alison is terrific, and I love her SPECIAL guest host- Bill Wolf- wish he could quit his day job and work with her everyday.
GREAT JOB
GREAT SHOW
Thanks

Sent by Carol | 9:07 PM | 1-28-2008

Assuming BPP is still a work-in-progress: I think Alison is on solid ground with the pop culture and weird news coverage, but wobbly on issues that call for a knowledge of history and foreign cultures. Her hip and happy persona goes clunky in those areas.
Maybe get a co-host who can handle the heavy lifting, just for balance?

Sent by Kim | 9:57 PM | 2-21-2008

funny about the last 2 comments...i am 59 and after listening off and on to the bpp for awhile, i too find it very appealing in an eclectic, amusing, informing and youthful way; semi-colon???: and that said, i've been thinking that alison as the sole/soul host is really working...happy is a good thing and like most of the wonderful npr programming, the bpp brings in guests and recordings as needed...as a recent ny times article suggests; the future of media preference may well be with public radio stations and i think and hope that the bpp is well on its way to grabbing a good chunk of public radio listeners! keep goin and growin bpp!!!

Sent by jan | 9:18 AM | 2-22-2008

is there any word about adding a new co-host?

Sent by maria | 4:08 PM | 2-23-2008

I don't even know where to start ..OMG...Bryant Park rocks. THank you thank you thank you for making my commute in NC bearable. I listen on Sirius radio which I got because I had grown tired and loathsome of radio and even my more progressive WNCW public radio statio which has slid off into something stale. I can't remember the last time I actually wanted to tell somoene about a radio show. Great job. and really..thank you!

Sent by Bill Hutchins | 10:07 AM | 4-20-2008

Isn't it interesting how everyone just loves the show? It seems evident that NPR filters the comments section for positive responses. Let's face it, the Bryant Park Project sucks. It sounds like all the other muck we get on the radio, just a little more smug. Thanks for dumbing down public radio.

Sent by Mark Maymose | 10:35 AM | 5-5-2008

it's so refreshing to read high-brow rhyming words like suck and muck...i'm sure your (oral) expressive and receptive language level is alot more advanced...i hope.

Sent by jayn | 12:03 PM | 5-5-2008

@Mark Maymose: "It seems evident that NPR filters the comments section for positive responses."

The fact that your comment made it through belies your premise. I've made an embarrassing number of comments both pro and con and haven't had so much as a comma changed. I think what you are seeing is mostly selection bias. People who are like the show are more motivated to stick around and figure out how to comment. People who are turned off aren't likely to make it this far.

Sent by Dave Wiley | 3:05 PM | 5-5-2008

dave...your comment about the comment is an obvious and interesting observation...when you say "figure out how to comment" do you mean we are UN diplomats in training??? or, are we camouflaging ourselves to be more acceptable...or, is it like heading south and before you know it, you're talkin like "them".....personally, this babyboomer was always a bbbpper in one form or another!

Sent by jan | 4:52 PM | 5-5-2008

It's "Day to Day" but a little more light-hearted and fun--I like it! If you don't, switch it off, but give up on the whole tired "ruination of NPR" bit--ME and ATC are still there, happily bracketing Fresh Air. And Alison IS the only worthy Keith guest host on Countdown! Keep it up, you're doing great.

Sent by Jeff White | 12:58 PM | 5-21-2008

I also think that BPP is not a good show. Its just that its not very interesting; it is in fact, rather boring. And I WANT to like it. Moreover, the show is all over the place: Yeats', 'the center does not hold' line applies. And I think he would agree that twentysomething coversational drivel, however erudite, is not appealing to most (I'm 31).

Sent by Brian B | 11:22 AM | 6-11-2008

Can you point me to photos (and names) of these really clever people I listen to while I work?

Sent by Jerry Brook | 1:38 PM | 6-12-2008

I feel like all those jilted Hillary Clinton supporters who now want to go vote Republican. I want to punish NPR for canceling my favorite radio show and quit listening to ME and ATC. I think Rush Limbaugh is on my local AM in the morning....

Sent by Ben | 4:53 AM | 7-14-2008

Sorry you guys are getting the ax, and I'm afraid that decision might have been made without enough information. I'm a loyal NPR listener all day long on Sirius (for several years) 47 years old, and I contribute to the local station every year. Bryant Park has become one of my favorites (even more than car talk ;), and I hate to see it go. If I'm not the demographic that NPR wants what is? They should give you some more time to get traction before they abort such an excellent and entertaining show. Internet and new media savvy listeners may be under represented among NPR listeners, but we're sure to be a growth market, and The Bryant Park Project rocks for us.

Assuming you still get the ax despite my 2 cents, don't worry you guys will all go far.

Sent by David LaFerney | 9:58 AM | 7-18-2008

As a Sirius subscriber and listener to BPP from the beginning, I confess to being relieved that the BPP has been canceled. I wanted to like it, but I just couldn't. Hosts talking over each other, cheap pop culture references cut with self-congratulating adoration for obscure bands and indy whatever--this show took the blandest parts of youth culture while leaving out the more hopeful parts, such as an unpretentious commitment to improve the world that is currently re-emerging among increasingly political youth. I wish the BPP could have remained hip and funny while also serving as a lightning rod for this increasing political awareness, which would have made a nice bridge for young people to enter into the land of NPR. As it was, the BPP was too much MTV and not enough NPR.

Sent by Paul | 11:50 AM | 7-25-2008

What is the opening theme song at the top of each hour? I like it and would like to know more.

Sent by George | 12:27 AM | 7-26-2008