Inside The BPP

Behind the Scenes of the BPP: Our Seedy Underbelly

Here's your chance to take a peek into what makes The Bryant Park Project tick. Join Matt, Luke and Alison in the real life misadventures behind the scenes of NPR's newest morning news program. In this 12-minute documentary you'll get a unique look into the stories of ... well, some of our stories. After you watch, go back and give that show another listen — it's guaranteed to blow your mind on a whole new level.

Comments

Loved it. It was raw...which is great. Win, that took talent.

Sent by Steve Petersen | 6:56 PM | 8-6-2007

Matt, don't bang your head against a wall.

Wow, I had a totally different picture of the production process. I have not experienced the full impact of some of the horrors behind live radio. You guys are doing an awesome job! Thanks for posting this behind the scenes segment.

Sent by Sean Powers | 8:52 PM | 8-6-2007

Although I loved watching it, something is missing now, like having just run across a torrent for Cloverfield. As Rummy might say: the known unknown is now a known known.

Sent by purple R | 1:23 AM | 8-7-2007

Interesting perspective. I appreciate the inside look at the inner workings of your show. And I also appreciate the struggles you all face when deciding the direction to take a story. And after listening to the show again, I can understand why you took a story one way. And the time constraints you all are under, in addition, to the limited staff really makes your show all the more admirable. And Matt, I think you're bring a little too hard on yourselves. I think the show is great! Thanks for the inside look.

Sent by Tameika | 10:16 AM | 8-7-2007

It's interesting. The public interface of that show (the pilot program) was a decent bit of radio, but the behind the scenes moments show exactly how alike your work environment is to many of ours.

I'm curious; looking back on that particular edition of 'BPP: the Early Years', what would you have changed about it?

Sent by Drew | 12:35 PM | 8-7-2007

This was really funny. Thanks guys.

Sent by charlie | 3:18 AM | 8-8-2007

I think it is very brave for NPR to allow us to watch the piloting process. The process IS messy, sometimes foolish, sometimes silly, and occasionally brilliant. The purpose of piloting is to try things out, make mistakes, learn, recover and move on. Revealing the inner workings of the creative process can do nothing less than create an environment where listeners and even those in the business who are removed from production -- begin to understand how hard it is to get it right, and how beautiful it is when it works. So, even if you hate what you hear, cut them some slack and let them "find" the show.

Sent by jim | 9:34 PM | 8-8-2007

Hey Jim -- thanks. We're trying to cut ourselves some slack, too -- but were a little obsessive about this. I appreciate the comment. We try something new every time -- sometimes it falls flat on its face, other times we hit moments of brilliance. We love the open piloting process when we do something that works, but every time there's a clunker we question why we should subject ourselves to the criticism. But you can't be too selective about what you pilot, it would crush the spirit of the process -- and people's comments have actually shaped they way we do some things. I think we're going to be thankful for the process in the end and, hopefully, not too bloodied from it.

Sent by Matt Martinez | 9:55 PM | 8-8-2007