The Dagobah System

BSG Blows Producer's Frakkin' Mind

It's been eight long months since Battlestar Galactica (BSG) fans had anything new to play with.

That all changed this weekend.

On Saturday, the SciFi Channel debuted Battlestar Galactica: Razor, a made for TV movie that follows the disturbing side-story of the Battlestar Pegasus.

I am a huge BSG fan, so I've been flipping out about the movie all weekend. In fact, I was so totally geeked out by it that Alison said, "Why don't we talk about it on the show tomorrow."

And I said, "Okay." Because I do whatever Alison tells me to do. (Also because I'm totally geeked out by it.)

So we called up one of the executive producers of the show, David Eick, to talk about why they decided to make this movie (which is hard to follow if you're not a BSG fan) and to talk a little about his new show, Bionic Woman.

We'll air the interview on tomorrow's show, and he'll reveal who the last cylon is!

Okay, no he won't. But it's still a good interview.

If you've never seen BSG, you'll need a primer. So here's what you need to know ahead of tomorrow's interview: Humans created robots called 'cylons' to do their dirty work. Cylons turned on humans, they go to war with each other. An armistice is reached. Cylons leave to someplace far away. Humans set up a space station for diplomatic relations, but don't hear from them for 40 years. Then, one day, they make contact. They've evolved to look just like humans and they damn near wipe out all of humanity in a nuclear genocide. This fan-made video recap picks up as the destruction begins:

Comments

I didn't know I could love you guys more, then you go talkin' about BSG. Matt, I'm right there with you, all geeked out. Cool-looking space battles are terrific, but the truly great thing about the show is that they keep it fast-paced while touching on big themes like personal and societal identity, the gray area between good and evil, the nature of moral responsibility, etc.

Also, best last minute of a season ever!

Sent by Maura | 5:04 PM | 11-26-2007

OMG, I flipped out over that last minute.

Personally, I think Starbuck is a toaster. No doubt.

And I've totally written the ending of the show (in my head) already. Let me know if you want to know my theory and I'll tell you.

And apologies to everyone if I sound like a silly fanboy in the David Eick interview. I was just so excited to be in the phone presence of anyone associated with the show. I kind of felt like I was hosting a version of the Chris Farley. "Remember that time, when everyone thought Starbuck was dead? But she wasn't? That was cool."

Sent by Matt Martinez | 5:43 PM | 11-26-2007

I want to know your theory, Matt. I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours.

Sent by Maura | 6:36 PM | 11-26-2007

I never got into BSG, but respect it and it's fans.

However I do have other sci-fi related news which is fairly awesome: Blade_Runner is heading back to theaters (limited showings), and getting re-released on DVD. It's Scott's "Final Cut" - the end all and be all of the film.

==========

Oh and check this out:

Mash up of Beastie Boys tracks with Renegade Soundwave tracks. Was done in memory to 2 firemen who died in the first Gulf War.

Sent by Brian | 8:32 PM | 11-26-2007

What was the fanboy question that got edited out? Betcha I'd like to know the answer, too.

Three comments on this one post - can you tell I'm Galactica-starved?

Sent by Maura | 11:16 AM | 11-27-2007

It's the only TV program I've bought each season with my Mac. What/how does the iTunes / Universal contretemps affect non-TV watchers with their online purchases for next season?
More techie than Matt?

Sent by Charles | 11:59 AM | 11-27-2007

What is your theory, Matt?

Sent by Charles, Walla Walla | 1:55 PM | 11-27-2007

Okay, my theory. I'm putting it out there knowing they may have not written the series ending (with the writing strike and all) and this might sound totally corny. But here it goes. I'm thinking big picture here: I don't know what will happen to the major characters, but I think both humans and cylons will colonize Earth. They will inter-marry, there will be half-cylcon half-human children who will then continue to marry among each other until the lines between cylon and human are blurred. The religion of the two species will mutate, meld and remain separate all at once. Monotheism, polytheism -- it will exist just as it does on Earth now. It is the story of humanity that plays itself out over and over again. It is like the hybrid said, it has all happened before and it will all happen again. We can extend the show's metaphor to a future we don't even know: perhaps a sentient robotic life form will create a reality much closer to the show's. But I like to think more practically, I like to think the series' writers are using the show as a didactic tool. History repeats itself. It's all happened before and will happen again. I imagine the the ending of the show will be confusing and messy, much like our own history -- which is all we have to work with, because we know no other thing.

Or, the humans will defeat the cylons or vice versa. But that's way too easy for this show.

Sent by Matt Martinez | 5:04 PM | 11-27-2007

Wow, Matt, you really are taking the long view. I like it - very plausible. All of the lines are blurry on the show and there's no reason to think the blurring won't continue until the end. It will probably turn out to be the whole point.

Call me a pessimist, but I think there's a possibility they will arrive at Earth and the thirteenth tribe will be all "Capriwhonow?". It'll just be us with our Dylan songs and missiles and no interest in making friends with "aliens". Another war then ensues, with Earth fending off the invaders, not distinguishing human from skin job from chrome job. The cylons and human refugees would have to rely on each other for survival and learn to live together.

However it works out, there's no way that the humans and cylons don't end up on the same side.

Sent by Maura | 11:32 PM | 11-27-2007

I think the last remaining humans will be saved from the global warming that has made us a tribe of thousands. Higher interests have never come before profits--until too late. It's all about sharing a common goal?... Yours are both plausible.
Now? Where am I going to watch next season?

Sent by Charles, Walla Walla | 10:57 AM | 11-28-2007

Damn it Matt . . . thanks for ruining the season finale of BSG for everyone. While some of us had been waiting patiently until the third season came out on DVD, so we could experience the revelation for the first time, you just had to go and blow it for everyone, didn't you. (*Growls with anger*).

. . OK. Alright . . . so maybe we already knew that Starbuck "died" after reading the brief episode descriptions from TWoP. And maybe we knew that she really wasn't going away given how the show does not have a soul without her. So what? None of the TV critics spilled the beans? You didn't have to?

Sent by Will G | 8:28 PM | 11-28-2007

Matt, you're my hero! It's good to know I'm not the only Latin BSG geek out there. I'm stockpiling Razor and the last 3 episodes of Season 3 on the TiVo. I'm so scared of watching them and being left with questions that will go unanswered for about 6 more months. That's how frakkin' warped I am with BSG.

Sent by Renee Rabbit | 10:44 AM | 11-29-2007