Music

KT Tunstall Explains It All for You

Listen to KT Tunstall's in studio interview and performance on the BPP

Musician KT Tunstall came into the BPP studio for an interview and live performance, then she stuck around to demonstrate how she uses a loop pedal to layer multiple rhythms and guitar parts on top of each other to create a one-woman band. She's not the only musician to use one of these pedals, but she's definitely made the technique her own. Click here to see her on The Today Show using a loop pedal to perform "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree." And check her out at BPP HQ providing a little tutorial...

Special props go to Zena Barakat, who's helping us out with videos this week while Win Rosenfeld goes to video camp. (It's pronounced ZAY-na. You can't possibly think of a reference to the Warrior Princess she hasn't heard, so don't bother.)

Comments

What happened to Mike Pesca? With all due respect to Alison's husband, Pesca has brought excitement and interest to BPP. What is the hold up in hiring Pesca full time to replace that ingrate Luke Burbank?

Sent by Roberto Eder | 3:13 PM | 1-15-2008

You know I've seen a few performers using these before (Final Fantasy's whole act revolves around them) but seeing how one works is really interesting.

Sent by alice | 5:33 PM | 1-15-2008

Haha. "There's something about Biggie Biggie Bounce in here" Love KT!

Sent by Elaine | 6:49 PM | 1-15-2008

really interesting! it's amazing seeing how this pedal works!

Sent by Paula | 9:29 AM | 1-16-2008

kt is a f*&#$ing genius! we love her!!
GAWN KT!!

Sent by sam | 9:35 AM | 1-16-2008

NPR introduced me to KT Tunstall as my alarm clock sounded one blessed Saturday morning in 2006. I soon picked up "Eye to the Telescope" (which subsequently became the soundtrack to a memorable cross-country road trip), and I've been a huge fan ever since. I recently had the opportunity to see KT perform live in Chicago. Her passionate vocals and guitar playing on "Miniature Disasters" are still "looping" through my head (may it never stop). Rock on, KT!

Sent by Johnny | 3:39 AM | 1-17-2008

Nothing against KT, but what is up with the "Spinal Tap" moment? Did anyone else catch that? "...and this is called, akai headrush 2, akaiheadrush 1 was grey, headrush 2 is blue, it's a cooler looking device..."

"...These go to eleven." -Spinal Tap referring to amps that normally only go to ten

Sent by Eric | 8:44 AM | 1-17-2008

This is beyond easy to do. You can also just throw it into a mixer and loop it that way. Hrm...although having it in the context of a mix is always better. Weak riff, too simple, should double up the strings on a few parts. I could do better in less time. Thanks.

Sent by MusicMan | 12:36 PM | 1-17-2008

Eric, as much as I'd like buy into your "Spinal Tap" reference (great movie), perhaps you're not buying into KT's sense of humor? After all, she is talking about a "hundred dollar loop pedal, which you can find on the Internet." This is not Nigel Tufnel's customized Marshall amp by any means.

MusicMan ... "I could do better in less time"? I know you. You're that annoying music store guy, the one who plugs in and plays everything he knows in 30 seconds, then looks up to see if anyone is paying attention. Real musicianship ain't all chops, dude. Oh, I'm sorry ... when's that new album coming out?

Sent by Johnny | 2:59 AM | 1-18-2008

heh heh johnny...im with you
sam