Book Club

The BPP Book Club Begins!

Listen

description

Hisham Matar's In the Country of Men hide caption

itoggle caption

We think you're so smart that we're starting a Bryant Park Project Book Club. Today.

Here's how it works. We'll pick a book and give you all a month to read it. The book club leader, Sarah Goodyear, will periodically post on our blog to remind us to keep reading, to give us stuff to think about and to field your questions.

One month from today—Friday, March 28th—we'll have our book club meeting online. Sarah will moderate a discussion about the book, and we'll generate some questions for the author.

Then we'll talk to the author on our radio show and give you a chance to have your questions answered.

Our first selection is. .. Hisham Matar's In the Country of Men. It's genius, like you. And it just came out in paperback. Go get it.

Hey, we're official! The BPP Book Club now has its own e-mail address.

Comments

Just added it to my hold list at the library!

Sent by eliz. | 10:31 AM | 2-29-2008

OK, I'm going to join in this month! Just ordered the book on Amazon.

--Bryan Person
@BryanPerson on Twitter

Sent by Bryan Person | 2:29 PM | 2-29-2008

Move over, Oprah! Just emailed my local independent bookstore to get a copy.

Sent by David Hollis, Hamilton, NY | 3:07 PM | 2-29-2008

Just put it on hold at Borders. It looks like this'll be fun

Sent by Ramirez | 3:19 PM | 2-29-2008

This is great! Looking forward to participating.

Sent by Susanna | 3:55 PM | 2-29-2008

Awesome, this book was on my 'to read' list... Just put it on hold at the local library!!

Sent by Fern, San Diego, CA | 7:55 PM | 2-29-2008

Hey, I'm loving looking at all the different sources people turn to for their books. This is going to be a great time, people.

Sent by Sarah Goodyear | 8:18 PM | 2-29-2008

I think this is a fantastic idea ! I am an avid reader and have never participated in a book club that will interview the author . How exciting !

Sent by Jason | 8:27 PM | 2-29-2008

super idea...you all keep bringing tears to my eyes...you're doing such creative, good work that if i had it to do again, i'd wanna be just like you when i grew up...

Sent by jayn | 8:05 AM | 3-1-2008

Hey, guess what? It's an audio book, too! I just bought it on itunes. That's how I read these days, because if I sit down with a book I just fall asleep. I would have made sure we mentioned the audio book on Friday, but the publicist I worked with didn't know there was one!

Sent by Tricia, NPR | 12:19 PM | 3-1-2008

This is my first book club ever. I just ordered the book from Amazon. It sounds like a good pick.

Sent by Jo Hickman | 10:38 PM | 3-1-2008

I just ordered it on amazon.de and put a note about BPP on my google group at work.

Sent by Rebecca | 8:11 AM | 3-3-2008

I'm looking forward to this group and the book.

Sent by Jessica Z | 8:12 AM | 3-4-2008

I love people telling me what books are good reads. Saves me time just picking books based on the cover. Thanks Bryant

Sent by gRetchen | 10:02 AM | 3-4-2008

It arrived today and I am already on page 24. Read it in the subway and during my bubblebath :-) Cute kid. Wacko mom.
(Am I allowed to talk about the book contents yet?)

Sent by Rebecca | 6:30 PM | 3-5-2008

@Rebecca:

I think it's OK to talk very generally about themes, characters, etc. In fact, I welcome it. But try not to reveal plot points. This is another aspect of things we'll have to be working out over time.

Sent by Sarah Goodyear | 7:03 PM | 3-5-2008

I really enjoy your program everyday. I usually have to listen to the podcasts, but I catch up! The shows are always witty and relevant. I'm definitely buying this book to participate in your book club!!!

Sent by Kendrea | 2:09 PM | 3-6-2008

just heard your podcast about this - found the book available for Kindle on Amazon. looking forward to the discussion.

Sent by Ron | 12:07 PM | 3-10-2008

In the beginning the plot seems very straightforward and simple, but it gets more complicated as the story unfolds. After his father disappears the boy's behaves even more strange, to his monther, his neighboring boy friends, his father's friends, even to the man from the Revolution Committee. It seems he is heading to darkness. I have covered 2/3 of the book and am very interested in what all these lead to.

Sent by Yinghuochong | 11:37 AM | 3-12-2008

Glad you're enjoying, Yinghuochong.

One of the things that intrigues me about the book is the way it shows how growing up in a society dominated by fear can initiate a young person into betrayal and hypocrisy.

Sent by Sarah Goodyear | 8:25 PM | 3-12-2008