News

After Spitzer: The Women in the Powder-Blue Suits

Click for an NPR slideshow, "Standing by Their Men" AP photo of Sen. Edward Kennedy and his wife, 1969 hide caption

itoggle caption AP photo of Sen. Edward Kennedy and his wife, 1969

When then New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer made his unspecified apology on Monday, his wife, Silda, was at his side. She was there again today, when he resigned after two days of headlines about his alleged use of prostitutes.

Silda Spitzer is hardly the first political wife to don the powder-blue suit and that determined gaze, as you can see from this NPR slideshow, "Standing by Their Men." One of the wives in it, Dina Matos McGreevey, provides another take in the New York Times with an op-ed headlined "Stand by Yourself."

Comments

A painful display that threatens to mock the very loyalty and decency that both spouses promised at the altar but which the one ignored or forgot. In marginally questionable taste, but well executed.

Sent by Ruth Sudduth | 9:35 PM | 3-12-2008

How can you stand next to your spuse when he/she has cheated on you!? Being guilty of scandel is disgraceful, but being guilty of having an affair, then having your spouse stand by your side during a public apology, is outrageous! Stand up for yourself!

Sent by JP | 1:54 PM | 3-13-2008

Alternative:
Have the family dog stand in instead of the wife!

Sent by Elisabeth | 2:55 PM | 3-13-2008

your guest misspoke...it was not lebron james. it was kobe bryant that cheated on his wife.

Sent by Steve | 2:57 PM | 3-13-2008

We had a popular politician here in Kansas who was caught in an extra marital affair recently, and as a result resigned from his post. His wife did NOT stand up with him through the public announcements. Quite refreshing!

Sent by CK | 3:00 PM | 3-13-2008

This discussion ignores the absurdity that this kind of story gets the coverage it does. If the media didn't sell it to us, Spitzer would still be fighting corruption on Wall Street (and paying money for sex), which, in my view, is a much more acceptable scenario than his resignation.

Sent by Daniel | 3:25 PM | 3-13-2008

Well, I think the main reason this story is getting so much coverage is that he painted himself as such a holier-than-thou crusader, championing the rights of "the little guy". Most ironically, some of those "little guys" were young women working in the sex trade, which he condemned, and vowed to end the exploitation of women.

This wouldn't be as big of a deal if he weren't so pristine prior to this incident. People didn't vote for a man, they voted for an ideal, and this action shattered that ideal.

As a side note, how was his wife so blissfully unaware of their finances? He spent over $80,000 on prostitutes, and she had no idea?

Sent by Greg | 5:24 PM | 3-13-2008

Is it just me, or does Eliot Spitzer sound a lot like Mike Pesca?

Sent by Glenn Wonacott | 1:48 AM | 3-14-2008

I'm still waiting for the "other shoe to drop" in this case but if the facts are as reported to date and I were in Mrs. Spitzer's shoes, I wouldn't be standing next to my spouse at a press conference unless I had a signed agreement in my pocket regarding our future divorce, property settlement, and monthly alimony check.

Sent by David | 12:30 PM | 3-14-2008