Book Club

Listener Checks In: Read That Book

Listen

David Hollis of Hamilton, N.Y., read the book when he had the flu.

description

Hisham Matar's In the Country of Men hide caption

itoggle caption

If you haven't yet read the BPP Book Club selection for March, Hisham Matar's In the Country of Men, it's time to get cracking.

We're having the online meeting on Tuesday, April 1, with Hisham Matar himself soon to follow on the show.

Meanwhile, Dave Hollis of of Hamilton, N.Y.'s Radio Free Hamilton, checks in to say that he read the book while lying in a fever state. And he liked it a lot.

Catching a bug for a couple of days might or might not work for you, as a strategy. Me, I'm hoping to read it on the plane to Nevada later this week.

Hey, we're official! The BPP Book Club now has its own e-mail address.

Comments

for me it took almost half way into the book to get hooked...i think it's like careful persistent safe cracking...you twist, you turn and then voila...you're in!!!

Sent by jayn | 5:04 PM | 3-24-2008

Bummer. My husband's birthday is April 1 and it's probably not a good idea to blow it off for a book club discussion. I look forward to being able to join in on the next BPP Book Club discussion. Assuming this first one is successful :)

Sent by Sarah Lee | 9:39 PM | 3-24-2008

it took a few extra hours this weekend for me.
i started awhile ago, and was intrigued from the beginning. but was finally hooked just after the midway point, and then finished it from there this weekend.

Sent by eli | 9:53 PM | 3-24-2008

In the country of "old" men? Is that a country where you pay with everything in change and drive down the highway with your blinker on? I'd live there!

Sent by Cee | 10:52 PM | 3-24-2008

@cee -- Ack! I did call it "In the Country of Old Men." Lucky thing I didn't call it "In the Country of There Will Be Blood." Those two movie titles melded into one for me, and then we added the book.

Sent by Laura Conaway, NPR | 6:19 AM | 3-25-2008

Sarah Lee,

If you want to send in a comment ahead of time, I'll post it for you on the day of the discussion...sgoodyear[at]earthlink[dot]net.

Happy birthday in advance to your husband!

Sent by Sarah Goodyear | 8:55 AM | 3-25-2008

Just finished and pleased I read it. Glad to have a couple days to reflect before the online discussion.

I'm a little freaked that Hisham, Suleiman and I are almost exactly the same age. It's remarkable; I can imagine (maybe even remember?) thinking and feeling so many of the same things at that age. At the same time, I was living in a strikingly different environment. Anxious to hear what others experienced in reading the book.

Sent by Seth in Kansas | 2:38 PM | 3-30-2008

What time is the online discussion tomorrow?

Sent by Amy Chin | 10:40 PM | 3-31-2008

The BPP Book Club is now in session. Come on over.

Sent by Laura Conaway, NPR | 11:33 AM | 4-1-2008