Links From the Show

Thanks Arthur!

We cannot stop watching this.

Comments

This reminds me of Monday's rundown.

Sent by Ian Chillag, NPR | 2:20 PM | 3-28-2008

i watched this post-rundown so during rundown, I was like "What?!?"

Sent by lisa | 3:52 PM | 3-28-2008

I believe this entire complex interrelationship between the weather, the weatherman, and the host was best summed up by "SevenSixTwoNato" on Youtube:

Conditions: Hot everywhere.
Jackets needed: 0

Now BPP, here is where you (seriously) get to prove your abilities. Interview someone who can tell us WHY this is so funny and why there will be a few people who don't get it.

Sent by Phillip | 8:46 PM | 3-28-2008

BF (he's French) just asked me why I kept laughing. Played him the video. What, he asked, is funny about that? I did my best... but since I don't really know why it makes me laugh, it's tough. I think it's the pause that kills.

Sent by Marc Naimark | 1:31 PM | 3-29-2008

there was actually an episode of Radiolab a few weeks ago about laughter and they do talk about the contagious aspect to laughter.

here is the link to the podcast.

If someone is really laughing i will usually start laughing too...especially infants, right after they learn how, that really get into a laughing fit. This will always crack me up.

Sent by jeff stiefer | 2:05 AM | 3-30-2008

I keep re-watching this and it just gets funnier every time. It had me in tears.

It's hard to explain why it's so hysterical. Here's my analysis:

1.) The subconscious understanding of the pointlessness of a Haitian weatherman whose only contribution is that "it's gonna be hot"
2.) The forced "typical generic" comment about the jacket (combined with the fact that they are all wearing the same jacket)
3.) The delayed pause + serious look by Arthur
4.) The hyena laugh (and laughter being contagious, as noted above)
5.) The combination of all above factors.

Sent by Jarrod | 11:37 AM | 4-5-2008

i heard that there is a running joke in the news studio about the required jackets. i don't know if it is true, but i think it adds to the mythology of arthur the weatherman.

Sent by kang | 2:54 AM | 7-16-2008