Election 2008

Gay Editor Says Clinton, Obama Courting His Paper

You guys want to talk about the election?

Mark Segal
, editor of the Philadelphia Gay News, says Democrats Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are each asking for his newspaper's endorsement. Here's what he wants:

"We want to hear what's going on with their positions on Don't Ask, Don't Tell. We just don't want hear a very simple, 'Yeah, I want to get rid of Don't Ask, Don't Tell.' We would like to hear a plan."

Add in a position on the federal bill to end discrimination in employment and some kind of something on civil marriage (word: an awfully big issue at my house), and you've got Segal's take.

Comments

I was encouraged when Obama called out the descrimination that a lot of gay and lesbian people have faced within the black community. Particularly because he did so on MLK day at Ebenezer Baptist. This was not necessarily an audience that would be open to such criticisms and I thought it was bold of him. I've never seen the equivalent from Clinton.

Still, it's just a speech and both democrats will have to talk serious policy before I believe they really support true equality.

Sent by Maura | 12:31 PM | 4-2-2008

I haven't had a chance to listen yet but did Segal have an opinion about the Obama supporter Reverend Meeks? Or Rev. Caldwell?

Sent by Daniel | 12:53 PM | 4-2-2008

I heard him speak at the United Church of Christ General Synod last summer. He was invited as a member of our church to speak about faith and social action. His primary mention of LGBT issues was in a throwaway line about keeping the religious right from narrowing the discussion of faith and public policy to homosexuality and abortion. That was it. In all his wonderful speech about fighting all kinds of injustice, homophobia did not seem to be on his radar. I was disappointed. I'm hopeful that he seems to be more willing to call out this injustice now than he was last summer.

Sent by Chrissy | 10:17 AM | 4-3-2008

I saw a SF Chronicle awhile back talking about how Obama didn't want a photo taken with Gavin Newsome (the SF Mayor who is pro-gay/lesbian marriage). Even Willie Brown, the predecessor to Newsome, said that Obama asked him not to have a photo taken with Gavin during a fundraiser. I was disappointed to say the least. I am not gay, but have many close friends who are. Now, I see an article about Obama's other spiritual advisor, Rev. Meeks, and it's becoming all too clear. Meeks, is anti-gay and very much vocal about this community. I know the argument is that Obama may not hold the same views...but honestly, I am 40 years old and I can say without a doubt that no one in my close circle of friends are racist nor anti-gay...not even the Republican ones. I have a problem with someone who touts unity and then discard certain groups.

Sent by ttv | 4:43 PM | 4-3-2008

Barack Obama, a politician, spoke at a church-sponsored event? And the I.R.S. wasn't contacted by American United for Separation of Church and State? What gives?

Oh, yeah, I forgot. The president of A.U., Barry Lynne, is a U.C.C. minister. Separation of church and state for me but not thee, huh, Reverend Lynne?

Sent by Matthew Scallon | 12:57 AM | 4-6-2008

Obama has spoken in many public and many gay hostile arenas about homophobia, hate crimes and job discrimination. Clinton has never spoken on gay issues outside of a gay news source which means that she is in the closet with her "support" for gay rights. Obama is not, he is open with his stand for equal rights and protections for all of us.

Obama is not in the closet with his support for our community, he strongly believes that every American, including people in the glbt communities have a right to equal rights and protections, no exeptions or conditions. He also has a great track record with legislating laws to end discrimination in the workplace and hates crimes legislation in Illinois. He is not all talk about these issues, he has in fact been working on behalf of us for a long time.
He has even spoken in religious groups about homophobia not being a christian thing to do. He has never run away from speaking againt homophobia and for our equal rights.

A glaring difference between Clinton and Obama is that Clinton "supports" civil unions but does not talk about what rights would be granted with said civil unions. Obama on the other hand supports civil unions that would include ALL the rights, responsibilities, priviledges and protections traditional married people currently get. That is a huge difference! I don't care if our unions aren't called marriages, as long as we get all the same rights, priviledges, responsibilities, benefits and protections who cares about what they are called!

Obama does not discard any group, with his premise of unity comes full equal rights for everyone, meaning that there is little need for "special groups" because under his plan, no person will be disenfranchised regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, sexual identity, religious affiliation, national origin or whatever else you may think makes you "special".

Obama's message of equality for all may be a totally different concept to embrace, and I am sure many don't know what to do with that since many have spent their entire lives being part of a fringe group or community. Well, with Obama, there will be no need for fringe groups or communities, at least under the law.

Remember that Obama was a community organizer and then a civil rights attorney and professor of constitutional law at the University of Chicago School of Law before his 8 year senate teure in Illinois and his current US Senate seat.

He is the only candidate who is actually an expert in constitutional law and civil rights--that is what we need in the White House!

I am sorry Mark Segal has chosen to speak badly of the only candidate who will trully assure all our rights are granted to us simply because his feelings were hurt. Obama's position on glbt issues has been clear all along, he has not wavered like his opponent has.

Oh, and Mark's assumption that the lesbian community is for Clinton is not quite accurate. I am a strong supporter of Barack Obama as are all my friends.

Sent by Beca B | 9:38 PM | 4-8-2008