Election 2008

Open Thread: Is Wright Trying to Hurt Obama?

Jeremiah Wright

The Rev. Jeremiah Wright addresses the National Press Club on April 28. Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images hide caption

itoggle caption Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

Torpedo. That's the word I keep hearing to describe what the Rev. Jeremiah Wright is or is not trying to do to Barack Obama's presidential bid. Yesterday, the Democratic senator's former pastor spoke at the National Press Club — affirming his positions on the root causes of AIDS and 9-11 and decrying criticism of his sermons. "This is not an attack on Jeremiah Wright," Wright says. "It is an attack on the black church."

Obama told reporters that Wright doesn't speak for him or for the campaign. "Some of the comments that Rev. Wright has made offend me, and I understand why they offend the American people," the frontrunner said. Judging from opinion pages, that may not be enough. Obama and Wright's hometown paper, the Chicago Tribune, headlined an editorial "Wright's Curious Mission," writing:

By the end of Wright's performance, you had to wonder if he was trying to torpedo Obama's bid for the Democratic presidential nomination. He surely didn't seem troubled by that possibility. "Nothing can get in the way if God wants Obama to be president," Wright said. Maybe not. But the pastor seemed interested in testing the theory.

Bonus reads:
WaPo's Eugene Robinson: Where Wright goes wrong
EbonyJet's Monroe Anderson

Comments

Wright is right

Sent by Janice | 9:26 AM | 4-29-2008

Absolutely not. I agree with Rev. Wright that if GOD is going to bless Senator Obama with the Presidency of the U.S., then no man is going to stop that. Here is my assessment of the speech below:

I was able to view the entire speech delivered by Rev. Jeremiah Wright last night as he was honored by the Detroit NAACP and I was impressed. I knew a lot about him before the speech due to viewing his sermons on TV, but this speech was informative, dynamic, funny and real. This speech was an opportunity for the world to hear his words in its entirety without being edited by the media. So CNN must be commended on showing this speech along with its commentary afterwards. Rev. Wright articulated what those of us who attend "the African-American" church feel on each Sunday. He spoke of the differences between cultures and how some people view those differences as being difficient. As he stated, "its just different", no one is superior. The only area that I think that there might be a debate is how he generalized the differences in how those of African decent and European decent learn. I believe that 90% of what he said in those statements was true, however he should have stated that 'some' us learn differently than whites. We do have some in our community who are just straightforward and analytical, while others are very creative and vice versa for Europeans. There are some white kids that cannot analyze a thing, but they can create art or sing. That broad brush that was painted as it relates to the learning styles is the only thing that I do not agree with 100%.

With being that said, I admired what he said and how he said that he is "running for JESUS"; that statement was very powerful. In essence, he was saying that the media cannot make him shut up because GOD is first in his life. He was able to differientiate himself from Senator Obama while also supporting him.

For those who say that he should just shut up I say: I believe that he doesn't have to duck and hide for anybody because his sermons are used to uplift a people who have been downtrodden since the day we have been here. Look at the ministries that they perform to serve the community.

To the Republican commentator that said that he is capitalizing on this media coverage to write a book and make money I say: It doesn't matter if Senator Obama was running for President or not, Rev. Wright would still be making his rounds and performing revivals and attending functions. That is an indication that the 'world' does not know nor understand the African-American church. Ministers are always on the road delivering sermons and being that he is retiring, I would think that he has already planned to write a book that talks about his 40 years in the ministry.

In conclusion, I would like to say that Senator Obama does not have to answer every question about everything that Rev Wright has said, and especially about last night's speech. He was not angry nor devisive, so if Senator Obama chooses to be POLITICAL and dismiss the speeech as divisive or racist, then he has lost a vote from me. It means that has sold out his soul to get the Presidency. You don't have to agree with every word the man said but let's be real and agree that most of what he said was right on point. Just look at the responses from the CNN staff Tony Sanchez, Soledad O'Brien and Roland Martin.

Sent by Glenn Anderson | 9:32 AM | 4-29-2008

I so tired of this guy, now of course he's trying to blame the whole incident of the whites attacting the black community.. Why am I not surprised!

Sent by Rick Corral | 9:34 AM | 4-29-2008

Rev Wright is speaking for himself. He wasn't being funny at the press conference, he was being foolish. I initially felt sorry for Rev Wright, seeing his face splashed all over most of the news channels damming America. Now, I am infuriated that he thinks he is speaking for my "black" church. I admire Rev Wright for the work he has done in the past, but now I am becoming more and more concerned about his mental health. His bitterness toward those who he believes has wronged him (the white man, Obama, etc.) is not the Christian way. He is speaking for himself, not for me (a black woman) and not for the black church.

Sent by S Miller | 9:59 AM | 4-29-2008

The limelight can do strange things to people who feel they've labored long in a good cause and feel like they've been ignored and overlooked. I think Wright can be forgiven for allowing all this attention to go to his head.

What cannot be tolerated is the ugly politics of guilt-by-association, and the irrational politics of "character formation". If it isn't tirades on Wright's malign "influence", it's Time magazine cover stories on how Obama's mother shaped him.

Sure, I know he's a relative newcomer to the national stage and a lot of people are wondering, "who is this guy?" But what confuses me is, why don't they read one of his speeches or check out the policies he supports or his voting record? Because a man is more than the influences of those close to him, and it's very arrogant of complete strangers to presume that they are competent to gauge the relative importance of those influences.

Sent by Kasreyn | 10:13 AM | 4-29-2008

the problem with people saying true things is often the motivation that brings it forth...EGO can be an obstacle that makes a potential strike veer off course

Sent by jan | 10:19 AM | 4-29-2008

I'm sorry, but this guy is his own biggest fan. His speeches for the NAACP and the National Press Club were just oozing with sarcasm, condescension, and a "boy, you people are stupid" attitude. Frankly, he's just like any other preacher / minister / priest, etc. - he uses a book (yeah, a BOOK) to justify his opinions and then uses the same book to deflect any attacks on his character. I genuinely believe that Jeremiah Wright hates "the Man" (i.e. white folks) and hates this country, and if we dare point that out then it's an attack on the nation's black churches (what?!). I don't care if he's a veteran, I don't care how much good (?) he's done for the black community, I don't care how long he's been a religious scholar - he's a self-aggrandizing, self-pious egomaniac. Senator Obama, if you have any hope of being elected President, dump this guy now!

Sent by B. Jeffcoat | 10:33 AM | 4-29-2008

How can a man of God justify the hurt he is causing to one of his parishioners? Obama somewhere along the way learned "turn the other check" and move forward. I wonder if he credits that to Wright who seems to follow the doctrine of "an eye for an eye"?

It's shameful that Wright isn't able to rise above, find forgiveness and understand ignorance. And, to do this to one of his own, now at this pivotal point in our history is unbelievable!

Surely, he cannot be speaking for all of the Black Church. When will others stand up and defend Obama who represents our first real opportunity to change things for the better? Are we living a self-fulfilling prophecy? Wright represents an excuse to continue to blame and not take responsibility for our own lives. Not now, not again!

Sent by Gina Santana | 10:40 AM | 4-29-2008

It doesn't matter!!! It doesn't matter!!! It doesn't matter!! None of this has anything to do with the eminent demise of this country. Could we please talk about the issues that confront us? Anyone? CNN? MSNBC? NPR?

Sent by Karl Williamson | 10:46 AM | 4-29-2008

White for Wright.
I do not think Wright is trying to hurt Obama, I think they are stirring up some of the same issues, just different styles and speeds. Race and the Black and White divisions in our society.
Obama realizes what small spoons of truth you have to give the public and how to work as a politician. Not to say Obama is not being truthful, I feel he is trying to lead by example and take the focus from race to solutions and heal in the process. Wright doesn't, he is blunt. Words have been his craft. To the vast majority of comfortable whites who don't want to hear the true feelings of minorities, they will use his words for justification of their fears of blacks and other minorities having real equality and equal access in this country.
I am a "middle aged" white woman who is supposed to be for Clinton. I have been for Obama from the beginning because I respect him, his opposition to the invasion of Iraq as many other of his positions, and because I think he would be very healing for this country, partially because of his race/mixed race.
While raised in a rural area and having returned to a conservative rural state, I had the opportunity to have lived in Los Angeles for 20 years and saw successful established people of all races and a more integrated society. Where Mercedes, Bmws and nice houses where not the exclusive right of whites. That isn't the case in most parts of America. (I live in a state where there are still black towns and white towns, for God's sake!)
I feel Obama represents an unfamiliar and unrepresented, to many whites, segment of our society, a successful, intelligent (and better educated) black person than most have ever come to know. And I feel he would be so uplifing to the hopes of minorities who have not had much reassurance of better times in many, many years, especially the last 8.
I am truly saddened by the deterioration of the democratic campaign in the last few months. What started off as so historic and promising, has deteriorated to the basest level. Instead of confronting these real issues, the truth, I am afraid, is going to cause a wider division.
One other note, I hate to use the term "Black" for Obama as he is just as much "White" as "Black." When will we drop this old way of labeling anyone with any black heritage as "Black?" That practice is from the days of slavery, can't we at least shed that?

Sent by Mary Wielage | 10:53 AM | 4-29-2008

There is a reason for the separation of church and state. Reverand Wright is sabbotaging his protege by promoting his status without consideration for the effect this has on Sen.Obama's historic campaign. My admiration for Obama is heightened by his chosing to take the high road, not get sucked into making disclaimers about the Rev's ego rampage- however, I am not confident that this statedgy is sufficient to win over the fear-based dems and independents who will be frightened away from voting for Obama in the general election. It is a tragedy of shakspearean proportions playing out. It's mythic.

Sent by Maureen Iversen | 11:24 AM | 4-29-2008

Rev. Wright is not hurting Obama as much as the news media-- redundantly rehashing lapel pins, Rev. Wright comments and other detractions. The people who are tired of these non issues should be writing en mass, demanding that frivolous topics be abandoned.

Sent by Coleen Hardman | 11:28 AM | 4-29-2008

The only reason Wright matters at all is because you schmucks in the media keep shoving it down our throats. Do us a favor, why don't you guys (and I mean all media) sit the rest of the election out so we can get our country back.

Sent by Chris D | 11:38 AM | 4-29-2008

I am sending a quote from Howard Zenn
"Was all this bloodshed and deceit--form Columbus to Cortes, Pizarro to the Puritans-- a necessity for the human race to progress from savagery to civilization? was Morrison right in burying the story of gneocide inside a more important story of human progress? Perhaps a persuasive argument can be made as it was made by Stalin when he killed pesants for industrial progress in the Soviet Union, as it was made by Churchill explaning the bombings of Dresdan and Hamburg, and Truman explaining Hiroshima, But can judgement be made if the benefits and the losses cannot be blanced because the losses are either unmentioned or mentioned quicly?

Sent by Betty Blake | 11:42 AM | 4-29-2008

The media focus on this issue is a slap in the face to every man and woman in military service, everyone who has or will lose their home, job, health care. Every child who's education is being compromised and every senior who cannot afford their medication. I don't care what this man thinks, says or does.

Sent by Rob Sheeran | 11:48 AM | 4-29-2008

Far to much has been made of Wright and of guilt by association.

Yes it remains an interesting window on the beliefs of some Black Americans, one that other Americans don't often see.

As to the relation between church and State, let's blame Obama for bringing his faith into his own presentation of his politics and his public life. That wasn't Wright's doing, nor the media's. Blame it on Obama.

Sent by Marc Naimark | 12:27 PM | 4-29-2008

I was absolutely annoyed by the npr interview this morning with the Black contributor who said that Wright does not speak for the Black church or that his feelings about America are from another generation. If you guys wish to poke your heads in the sand again and again about the reality of Black America then there is no hope for change, no matter who becomes president.
I am 27 years old and I agree with Wright 110% Many of my peers feel the same way, as a matter of fact I have yet to come in contact with one Black person that disagrees. Maybe if I lived in the suburbs or hung out only in starbucks like that guy I heard this morning I might come into more contact with these Black folk who love to butter everything up for their White freinds. But, truly I realize that America is not ready for change because the Media will only accept a docile image of who we are. You would have to be an absolute fool to believe that in Barbershops, Churches, Mosques, Gyms and other places that Black people are not critical of America.

Sent by Kevin Nelson | 12:30 PM | 4-29-2008

Far too much is made of Wright's sermons and interviews. And yet... he offers a window into a certain black America that other Americans don't often see. Certainly African Americans have a better idea of what white Americans think about life and their society than white Americans have about black Americans.

And if Wright is in the conversation about Obama, that's the fault of Obama himself. No one told him he had to make his faith so much a public issue (he even has campaign literature about his religious beliefs...). Wright isn't attacking the separation between Church and State. In this case, it's Obama who can claim full responsibility.

Sent by Marc Naimark | 12:31 PM | 4-29-2008

Oops... tried to stop my first post because of the "to" instead of "too" error. Guess that didn't work... maybe Laura can delete?

Anyway, I did want to post something else. What share of those who are concerned by the positions of Obama's pastor also believe that Obama is a Muslim?

Sent by Marc Naimark | 12:34 PM | 4-29-2008

i believe that Rev. Wright is hurting Obama. not that im gonna vote for Obama or anything but if i was Obama i wouldnt be going to that church anymore and i wouldn't call Rev. Wright my spirtual adviser.

Sent by Emily | 12:44 PM | 4-29-2008

Obama exploited Wright's influence to launch his political career. Now, as Wright might say, Obama's "chickens are coming to roost."

Hey, Barack Hussein, did someone put a gun to your head and make you join this madman's church, stay in it for 20+ years, and donate over $60,000 to it?

Sent by Bradley | 1:08 PM | 4-29-2008

Rev: Wright does not represent the black Church as a whole; we do not all believe the way he believes.

Sent by Dee | 1:35 PM | 4-29-2008

Wright now displays a naked opportunism.

He is another polarizing figure in our polarized culture.

He is now attempting to parlay his 15 minutes of fame into becoming a fixture personality within our culture wars.

His aim in this current PR tour is to establish himself on the book-tour circuit, to grab a seat on cable TV as another talking head, to grab the mantle of racial ambulance chaser.

How interesting that the preacher was unable to discern the critical lessons in Obama's Philadelphia speech.

This Obama supporter is now curious to see if Obama has the backbone to cut loose this shameless bottomfeeder.

Sent by ivs | 3:18 PM | 4-29-2008

Obama's candidacy has been like fresh air, and I think has moved many causes forward. The black cause is one of them, but in politics, incremental change is how it happens. Black community concerns will never be center stage if people like Wright and Leon Willis insist that Obama "act black enough" to pay dues to a black culture that they also both say the MAJORITY of Americans can't understand. A majority is what it will take to get Obama in. He needs the votes of the Americans that are failing to understand many facets of black culture. What I say is let's have Obama bring change. It will help many causes, including those of Wright and Willis. Step aside for the political process to get your best hope in to the oval office.

Sent by P A Richards | 3:27 PM | 4-29-2008

Oh dear. Just heard bits of Wright's speech in Detroit, and read the transcript. How sad. I'm just glad he wasn't around to provide an amicus brief in Board v Board of Education. We might still have "separate but equal" school systems. After all, different isn't deficient.

But what do I know. I'm just writing here with my left brain.

Sent by Marc Naimark | 4:04 PM | 4-29-2008

I think Rev. Wright may be hurting Obama.
However, I think this harm may only manifest itself when it comes to voters who were on the fence about Obama to begin with.
Its intellectually dishonest to attempt to link Obama to everything that comes out of Rev. Wright's mouth. The Reverend is not a part of the Obama campaign and voters should keep that in mind when deciding whom to vote for.

Sent by Jerry | 4:15 PM | 4-29-2008

After reading some of these strings, I've got to post. To Mary Wielage - we are "black" and "white" (and "brown" and "yellow" and "red" and any other color you can come up with). Sorry, but that's just the truth. We don't look alike, OK. Only a fool would sit there and say we're all the same. Why would we want to be the same? I would hope that no one wants one, big, homogeneous country where everyone looks and acts the same way. You've got to take some pride in who you are, regardless of your color. To Kevin Nelson - I'm going to be frank with you: I don't care about the "reality" of Black America. The reality I see isn't pretty, and I don't feel it's my role or place to improve it. Whether or not Black America sinks or swims is entirely up to you all; I don't suffer from "white guilt" and I don't feel any responsibility for Black America's present (sorry) state, nor do I feel I should make any concerted effort to improve it. You seem like a strong Black man, Kevin, so kick your brethren in the butt and let them know that the clock is ticking on your people. If something drastic doesn't happen soon, Black America will be nothing but a memory. Oh, and by the way, I've never been in a Starbucks in my life (and, to be candid, you've got to be an idiot to pay $5 for a cup of coffee).

Sent by Jeff W. | 5:09 PM | 4-29-2008

There are those who skew information and breed tension(if not hate)in the name of their holy church and God. We need only to look at the middle east to see what pain and anguish some of their "holy" leaders have accomplished. Rev. Wright may be making a point as to how things were in the past and perhaps to a lesser degree still occurring. However, his comments have not udder ed one constructive word ... only accusations and complaints. Sen. Obama is in a far more difficult position of addressing these sensitive issues and trying to develop a solution. And for this he is being portrayed as an uncaring "Politician". I think the bible best puts this in perspective: "Blessed are the peacemakers,for they shall be called the sons of God"

Sent by David Chavez | 5:17 PM | 4-29-2008

Obama is human after all! Go Hillary

Sent by Nelson | 5:18 PM | 4-29-2008

Write about separation of Church and State...that is why Rev. Wright is destroying Obama's campaign.

Sent by Patrick J. Balcazar | 8:25 PM | 4-29-2008

I think this is a carefully orchestrated show by the Obama camp and the DNC. Sen. O can now show how "principled" he is and distance himself from this radical. And appear to be more centrist than he really is. The Rev. is "taking one for the team".

Sent by Al | 8:56 PM | 4-29-2008

I think he is hurting the campaign and the people that support Obama's campaign by sending their hard earned money. How could not have been a minister speaking the way he does.

Sent by K R | 9:48 PM | 4-29-2008

Reality check please!

According to Rev. Wright, an "attack" on him is a attack on the Black church. Rev. Wright, however, is not a minister in a Black church; he is a minister in the United Church of Christ, a Protestant denomination which, according to demographics I've read, is one of the WHITEST Protestant denominations in the country. He is no more a minister of the Black church than the Pope is. Come to think of it, given the number of Catholics in Africa, the Pope, in fact, is MORE of a minister in the Black church than Rev. Wright is.

Speaking of His Holiness, it amazes how media like NPR can come down so hard on the Pope's short quotation of an eleventh-century emperor in a one-and-a-half lecture --not even a sermon-- yet will humor wide apologia for this man who continues to stick his foot in his mouth. Rev. Wright may have done great works at one time at Trinity U.C.C., but it'll be his own fault if no one remembers him for them.

I've also heard him called "the greatest scriptural scholar of our time." Such superatives naturally raise the question, "Then who's the SECOND greatest?" I tried, however, to find any peer-reviewed exegetical or strochastic publication with Rev. Wright's authorship. I couldn't find any. All I could find were transcripts of his sermons, which his church is happy to sell. Such publication may be worthwhile --may even be scholarly-- but, on its own, such work doesn't merit its author the title of "greatest scriptural scholar of our time."

Again, I'm not a fan of Obama, and I'm not going to vote for him should he become the Democratic nominee. I don't, however, blame him for the "prophetic" blathering of this one-time holy man.

P.S., if that's your best attempt at a Boston Irish accent, Rev., you need a speech therapist and a Prozac. I would accuse of the very kind of bigotry you claim to oppose, but you're simply not worth my time.

Sent by Matthew Scallon | 12:14 AM | 4-30-2008

At the end of this day filled with pointing and accusations, I just feel like this is all some political self-promoting theater. It is pointless, the world need more than this right now, and these publicly broadcast personal tiffs just take away from what is really important. Can we please just re-focus!

Sent by nina c | 12:56 AM | 4-30-2008

Shame on NPR for asking such an asinine question.

The real debate America should be having is whether American is become more divided along so-called "race" lines.

Sent by e.e.goodmea | 1:57 AM | 4-30-2008

I find myself considering a question more and more. The question was asked early in the presidential campaign. Initially I thought the answer was "possibly." Now I am not so sure. The question suggests serious issues about America's collective consciousness and historical baggage that go beyond any possible answer. I think we are now seeing those issues brought to the forefront. And I believe the trend will continue.

The question?

"Is America 'ready' for a black president?"

Sent by Phillip | 8:19 AM | 4-30-2008

Is Rev Wright TRYING to hurt Sen Obama's campaign? Who knows? These men have known each other at some level or another for 20 years and now that Rev Wright continues to make controversial statements, Sen Obama is stating that maybe he doesn't know him as well as HE thought he did. Is he sincere about this or is his statement merely political expediency. Who knows? If this wasn't a political campaign season the answer would most probably be, "Who CARES?" Trying to determine the current condition of racism in this country in the middle of political hyperbole and self-serving posturing of all the particicpants during a national political campaign (Whether directly or indirectly involved.) is an exercise in futility. The basis of political campaigning is to exploit differences and to point out how YOUR differences make you worse than ME! Not exactly an atmosphere for dialogue and reconciliation. I doubt that Rev Wright has suddenly changed his rhetoric. He just has a wider forum for expressing his theology. Ironically, that forum has been provided by Sen Obama who, if he is being sincere in his renunciations, appears to be as surprised as the rest of America about the controversial statments by the man he has claimed as his pastor for the last 20 years! Sen Obama is in a very uncomfortable position. The best way out is to denounce Rev Wright, but that then implies that he really has NEVER known much about the beliefs of Rev Wright and that he used his marginal involvement in Rev Wright's church for political gain. SOUNDS like politics as usual, not politics of change! Unfortunately, all this controversy is political campaign fluff compared to the racial problems this country continues to face. The fluff will go away in a few months and the problems will continue, regardless of color or economic status. As usual, there are those who make lots of "NEWS" and those who are actually involved in making a difference quietly, behind the scenes, in ways that very seldom create enough turbulence to gain the attention of the media in this country, regardless of liberal or conservative bias. It is NOT rocket science to point the finger at some group or individual and blame them/him/her for your own problems. Bigots, idealogues, despots and politicians have been doing that for a VERY long time for their own gain. There is enough inhumanity in ANY group for such opportunists to exploit. FORTUNATELY, there are also those (regardless of race or creed) who selflessly reach out to the oppressed of every race and nation in a sincere effort to improve their conditions and seek justice to those who are oppressed. Perhaps we should be asking if all this divisive rhetoric is hurting THEIR efforts. Since they are busy on the front lines actually doing the work, maybe some news organization should take the time to talk to them to see how all this hype is hurting them! (Hint, hint)

Sent by Craig | 1:14 PM | 4-30-2008

It is amazing to me that when people of color comment on things that are commented at large by others in this country, it is categorized as devisive or shameful. Is it that only criticism of policies and politicians are reseved for those who are "assumed" to have more insight into such matters? Whenever a person of color makes similar comments they are immediately branded unpatriotic or dismissed as dillusional. My question to those in the media who call Rev. Wright unpatriotic is did they serve their country and if not why? And to further elaborate on this theme, when people "wax" about this so called "Global War on Terror" why does the media nor politicians bring up the point that we are having a personnel problem in both theaters and to alliviate the problem all able bodied Americans 18-45 should be conscripted? Is the term so shunned because it would bring an end to the political careers of any uttering the word and have this country out of Iraq by nightfall? Why has the national media not asked this question? And to those who I term "Paper Patriots", put up or shut up.

Sent by Stanley L. Cobb | 2:59 PM | 4-30-2008

To whom it concern,
Pastor Wright's statements do reflect the belief of many African/Americans.When is white america going to come clean.What Pastor Wright says should not affect Obama run for President. White America is using the Pastor's Communications to muniplate, the effortless power of the people obtained by Obama, for control of the presedential run. Obama is my brother and I'm feeling his pain.

Sent by Joseph Young | 5:04 PM | 4-30-2008

Funny how people who calle themselves Christian actually believe that the Almighty God has ever endorsed a man made government. Seems to me that the central theme of the Bible is a Heavenly Kingdom with Christ as ruler and that that Kindgom would put an end to all other governments. Plus there is this thing called Armageddeon which talks about the destruction of the world. Christians need to ask themselves if America is part of the world? Has America or any government on Earth ever committed any crimes against it's people or other people or better ye pursued goals that were outside of God's goals or commandments given to us? War, Murder, Genocide, Lies, I can go on and on about the crimes governments have committed in the name of Patriotism. These things are exactly the reason why the Bible states that the world is worthy of destruction and that God is making a new Heavens and a new Earth. As far as Wright is concerned, he's no more a man of God than Obama is or any other politician cause they seek their own glory not God's. The only leader worthy of following is Jesus Christ, he has been appointed by the only authority in the Universe, Almighty God, his Father. Thats fact not fiction. Notice I speak like Jesus and God as two distinct individuals. Thats cause they are. Read your bible, its all in there.

Sent by Real Talk | 9:46 PM | 4-30-2008

Scary to think that ANY clear thinking black person could align their views with the Reverend "Kook" All the African American community needs to do is embrace the attitudes of Bill Cosby ( it is called personal accountability ) and everything will be fine. Living in the past does nothing to help a race move forward. Funny how the dems claim to be the party of black America, why was Hillary not invited to speak at the NAACP when "the radical rev" was???? hmmmmmm You watch what I am telling you, if she wins the nomination, their will be mass rebellion at the convention. Hey conservatives, sit back and watch the mayhem.... and enjoy!

Sent by Rob Parks | 7:47 AM | 5-2-2008

A good opinion piece appeared in the SF Chron today that reminds us the problem here is about generational shifts, not racial tension.

Those who lived through one reality simply aren't able to adjust to a new one. They're so resolutely stuck, they refuse to let the rest of us get on with things.

Sent by Leyla Farah | 6:54 PM | 5-4-2008