Election 2008

Clinton, Obama Split Pair of Contests: Now What?

description

Clinton and Obama split Tuesday's contests. AFP/Getty Images hide caption

itoggle caption AFP/Getty Images

As expected, Sen. Barack Obama took the Democratic presidential primary in North Carolina by a good margin — some 56 to 42 percent. Obama received more than 90 percent of the African American vote and about 40 percent of the white vote. He won in every age group except voters over 65.

Meanwhile, Sen. Hillary Clinton won in Indiana by about 22,000 votes of the more than 1.2 million cast. She did well among white men and made some inroads into Obama's base, garnering support from younger white voters and those making more than $100,000. Clinton now trails Obama in pledged delegates by 171; she retains a 271-256 lead in declared superdelegates.

So those are the numbers, as NPR reports them this morning. Now comes the jawing — starting with the New York Times analysis piece headlined "Options Dwindling for Clinton." Your turn's in the comments.

Comments

Last Fall no one would have thought the Democratic campaign would look like it does today. It was a given Senator Clinton would be the nominee, now Senator Obama has changed the game. He now has the lead in the popular vote and pledged delegates. Math doesn't lie and Senator Obama is clearly ahead. Senator Clinton should concede. She started out with such a strong lead, advantage, and much more money.... but she has lost.

Sent by Mari | 7:37 AM | 5-7-2008

Yesterday when I walked into the Hampton Heights Baptist Church fellowship hall in Eden, NC to cast my vote, the significance of the moment didn't escape me. The day I turned 18, in 1979, before I had my first legal beer, I registered to vote and I've been exercising that right religiously ever since. I've never missed an election, even the local ones.

Yesterday I made history, I cast my vote in an election where either a black man or a woman will run for president. These are indeed exciting political times!

Sent by Julie | 8:09 AM | 5-7-2008

I voted, here in Indiana, for my mother who died just short of this historic election.

I voted for her mother, my grandma, who is suffering from Alzheimer's and doesn't even remember that there was an election (and has regressed in time to a time when Blacks like her couldn't readily vote).

I voted for all the children in my family who are too young to vote.

I voted for myself.

I've never been prouder to cast a vote.

I'd like to see a commitment to strike the negativity from the campaigns. No more flag pins or Jeremiah Wright--just the candidates and the issues.

How about that?

Sent by Lalita Amos | 9:17 AM | 5-7-2008

The debates have been trivialized, the content of most speeches has become mind numbing and all we can see with more campaigning is more of the same. Barack has won, Hillary needs to concede and the Democrats need to focus on winning in November and actually constructing plans for a forceful campaign that really gives specifics that will cover our biggest concerns and move forward.

Sent by Mel Belding | 9:39 AM | 5-7-2008

This is a vitally important election and I applaud those who take their right to vote seriously. Unfortunately the candidates ran out of new things to say a couple of months ago. I bet there's a groan in the staff meeting every time the producers decide to do another five minutes on the election.

Sent by Dave Wiley | 10:53 AM | 5-7-2008

It would be nice if they would ammend the Constitution (Article 2, specifically) to transform the primaries into a format similar to the general election - one day and the process is done.

Daniel Schorr proposed the idea but noted "Iowa and New Hampshire won't like it. The TV ad salesman won't like it. But it will put some sanity into our electoral system."

Sent by James Cutler | 12:29 PM | 5-7-2008

Many Democrats wish that we had decided the race several weeks ago, "so that we could focus on McCain". I disagree. I'm grateful that virtually the entire country has had a say in who would be our nominee, and that it wasn't decided by just a few early states. Of course, it's a shame that Ohio and Florida couldn't be counted, but they made their own bed.

In a few weeks, the nation will focus in earnest on Obama and McCain, and the long primary season will seem a distant memory. Personally, I hope that we Democrats can turn out like we have for the primaries.

Sent by Jay Grabow | 12:34 PM | 5-7-2008

It has become clear to me and most Democrats the Clinton campaign has been about the "Clintons" for some time. Maybe it was the comment that McCain would make a better Commander-in-Chief than Obama or the latest flap over the gas tax holiday but it appears Hillary will say or do anything to attract a vote. Now she is openly financing her own campaign as more and more donors realize she represents her interests first. Do something selflessly for once Hillary, concede the nomination you can't win without fracturing the party and support Barack Obama for president!

Sent by Phjillip Blake | 12:43 PM | 5-7-2008

Dems please unite. This process has been rewarding, educating and exciting. I'm in no real big hurry to see it end. however, June 10 seems like it should be the end of the road. I will support the Dem that prevails whoever that may be.

Sent by Tom from Kansas | 3:26 PM | 5-7-2008

E N O U G H !

The political campaign is toooooooo long.
There is nothing exciting about of the campaigns. After you have lived a while you will see and hopefully recognize what is real and what is not.

Sent by pee gee | 4:50 PM | 5-7-2008

Although there has been some good to come out of this very long primary season, it is now absolutely clear that Senator Clinton will not be able to win. Clinton needs to look at what is best for the entire party, the answer is not to keep pressing foward. She needs to drop out.

Sent by Eric Saindon | 5:06 PM | 5-7-2008

Have not registered democratic voters already indicated which of the two senators from New York or Illinois that they prefer to be their party's candidate for president. Democratics have voted in the primaries and have donated monies individually to the candidates of their choice. The democratic voters of average means have voted with their checkbooks overwhelming in favor for the junior senator from Illinois. Why is it that the senior senator from New York is unable to convince her own supporters to contribute to the New York senator's campaign in sufficient numbers or enthusiasm so that the senator need not contribute $6,425,000 in the past thirty days?
Although I have voted for only democratic presidential candidates in the last thirty plus years, this is the first year in which I have contributed money directly to a political campaign. It's time for registered democratic voters to make a financial choice as to whether the Senator from New York or from Illinois should be our next president. Because I am confidant and dedicated, and I can only afford to contribute one hundred dollars for President.

Sent by Antonio Perez | 8:38 PM | 5-7-2008

Barak Obama will be our next President. It took us this long to have an African American to lead our nation. Barak and Michelle are very impressive to me. We need to forget about Pastor Wright. Mr. Obama has separated himself PUBLICLY what more does the media want.
The Clinton's were never anything but trouble, I'm sorry to say, but its true.

Congratulations Mr. Obama! You are one very intelligent man!

White female, 50+
Charlotte, North Carolina

Sent by Cindy | 9:12 PM | 5-7-2008

This is the beginning of the end, a process that work itself out over time and is, in the end, up to Hillary.
She's a tough campaigner and may wait until it's not just improbable, but impossible to win before conceding. That could come sooner if more of the Super Delegates who publicly committed to her before Obama caught on, come forward and do what they will do eventually, which is to support Barack Obama.

Sent by Roger D-W | 9:28 PM | 5-7-2008

I think it would be nice for the Clinton Campaign to brush up on Math with a remedial class. All of her supporters know that she will not be the nominee. Several of the Supers she had have now switched to Obama. They seemed to have taken a side too early on, and now recanted their decision based on the Math. I am just sick of the media egging on this false hope that she will have the Supers overturn the decision of the people. To keep going with all of this nonsense is very arrogant, and just brings up the question of "Just who do the Clinton's think they are?" By this time she should turn and support a fellow party member. I wouldn't be surprised if Obama throws out the idea of having her as a Vice. The Clintons are acting as if they are entitled to the White House, and almost seems as if they will do anything to be back in office again. I think Obama once understood that she would be a great running mate and with her they can smash Mccain. I think the final Democratic ticket should read Obama+Powell for President

Sent by KH | 4:04 PM | 5-8-2008

Pennsylvania Avenue will have a New President for ALL people.

BARACK OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT!

America is ready for CHANGE!

Sent by michelle63 | 5:46 PM | 5-8-2008