From two great music blogs (I found it at Idolator, who got it from Paper Thin Walls) comes this week's moment of synergy. Follow me here:
A) Last week we had photographer Peter Beste on the show to talk about the Norwegian Black Metal scene he photographed for his book True Norwegian Black Metal. You may remember it from the amazing/terrifying slideshow Win Rosenfeld posted here on Friday.
B) I tried out a recipe for banana cake this weekend, and brought the leftovers in to the BPP office today.
So after today's show, where does the Internet take me? A black metal cooking blog. It's called The Black Oven and features recipes like "frostbitten molasses cookies entombed with ginger," which are described as "Packed full of grim and evil spices, they will leave you feeling despondent and isolated within their stronghold of flavor."
With apologies to the folks at the Black Oven, anyone up for a little 24 Hours of Darkness Banana Cake with Corpse Paint Cream Cheese Frosting?
* 3/4 cup butter
* 2 1/8 cups sugar
* 3 large egg
* 2 teaspoons vanilla
* 3 cups flour
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
* 2 teaspoons lemon juice
* 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 large bananas)
1. Preheat oven to 275.
2. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan.
3. Small bowl: mix mashed banana with the lemon juice; set aside.
4. Medium bowl: mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
5. Large bowl: cream 1 cup butter & 2 1/8 cups sugar till light & fluffy.
6. Beat in eggs, one at a time; then stir in 2 tsp vanilla.
7. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
8. Stir in banana mixture and mix all together.
9. Pour batter into prepared pan & bake in preheated oven for one hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (might take longer).
Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes.
PLEASE DON"T SKIP THIS!!
* 1/4 cup butter, softened
* 1/2 package cream cheese (4 oz), softened
* 1 3/4 cups icing sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Cream the butter & cream cheese until smooth.
2. Beat in 1 tsp vanilla.
3. Add icing sugar & beat on low speed until combined, then on high speed until frosting is smooth.
4. Spread on cooled cake, and sprinkle with walnuts if you like 'em.