Media

NBC's Tim Russert Dead at 58

Tim Russert, host of NBC's "Meet the Press," died today of a heart attack. He was 58.

Russert has been the host of NBC's popular Sunday morning political talk show since 1991.

Tom Brokaw, the former anchor of Nightly News, came on the air this afternoon to make the announcement. Brokaw called Russert "one of the premier political journalists and analysts of his time." "The news division will not be the same without his strong, clear voice," said Brokaw.

Comments

He will be truly missed by friends and colleagues. I had the pleasure of talking politics with him professionally and personally. Everything everyone says about his love of family is true. In fact I still have a text on my phone from Bill that says "Tim Russert sends his congratulations on Isaac". My heart goes out to his family.

Sent by Alison Stewart-NPR | 4:29 PM | 6-13-2008

I was Googling Tim Russert (don't pretend you didn't too) when I heard about his passing.

It's a telling sign of his impartiality that, by my count, just as many pro-life groups complained about his bias against them and for the other side as the abortion side complained in canonical fashion. Now, that's good journalism.

Right now, I'm feeling sorry for St. Peter. I see it going something like this: "Mr. Barjonah, you said in your second letter that,..., but, in Matthew's gospel, it says that you,..., now how can you justify yourself? And before you get cute, remember that I've interviewed your successor." I can't put the facts together like Mr. Russert, thus the ellipsis.

I have a bottle of white zinf in the frig. My house will put on a good-ole Irish wake in your honor, sir.

Sent by Matthew Scallon | 7:00 PM | 6-13-2008

Im not happy he's dead or anything. I'm not going to dispute people's sadness for his passing.

But didn't Cheney use Tim Russert and "Meet the Press" becuase the reporter and his show were a safe place from where to "control the message"?

And didn't Russert spend an ungodly amount of time hanging out with Sean Hannity?

Go back to the mediamatters archives, or the crooksandliars archives, or other media watch dog groups.... and look up Tim Russert.

Yes Tim Russert died, but how many people died, are dying, in Iraq? A war which the media is complicit in, by distributing propaganda.

Sent by Brian | 12:03 AM | 6-15-2008

@Brian, the Washington Times and American Spectator have the same critics of him pussy-footing with the left-wing. That's the point of the idealogues from both sides claiming he was biased against. Your "eulogy" proves my point.

BTW, in some branches in Buddhism, it's considered bad karma to speak ill of the dead until they are buried or cremated. Something to think about in the future.

Sent by Matthew Scallon | 12:00 PM | 6-16-2008

I am going to miss Tim Russert so much. He had the best show on TV as far as I am concerned.

Sent by Amy | 1:01 PM | 6-16-2008

I'm truly sad at the passing of Tim Russert. I took it for granted that he would be around for this election and I was excited to see the candidates on his show- to see them get asked the tough questions.

I liked the fact that he was smart and not just a pretty boy who read a teleprompter.

I haven't seen anyone out there, on TV anyway, who can replace him.

My thoughts are with his family.

Sent by April | 12:04 AM | 6-17-2008