Links From the Show

Video: The Most

Slave records, political posters and a lock of hair from 1801 were discovered in the attic of a Maryland plantation, where a family kept military documents alongside laundry bills.

It's the BPP's Most.

A life saver called "plumpynut" / Edith Macefield, 1921-2008: Ballard woman held her ground as change closed in around her / Male blackbirds intent on protecting turf / Tiny Shetland Island declares independence

Comments

Tricia's reaction to Peter's song is rather amusing.

Sent by Leigh Cutler | 12:34 PM | 6-23-2008

So what does the BPP have against Kevin Smith's "Dogma"? Twice now you've had people on who participated in this masterpiece of satirical religious fiction and fart jokes and failed to mention it. George Carlin was hysterical as Cardinal Glick. And a couple of weeks ago it was Alanis Morissette and her seminal role in the same film as God. People toss this word around a lot. "Jim Morrison is God." "John Lennon is God." But Alanis actually was God! One would think it would rate a mention. It's not like her filmography is so extensive you had to do a lot of pruning.

Now I'm off to go an invent a good conspiracy theory to explain this blatant prejudice.

Sent by Dave Wiley | 2:00 PM | 6-23-2008

@Dave Wiley, the only thing I found remotely funny about "Dogma" was that Kevin Smith protested his own movie.

Hysterical? No, pedestrian. Same old characterature of Catholic clergy that goes back to Henry VIII, and the jokes are about as old.

And Alanis Morrissette wasn't God; she played Him in a movie. "Dogma" was a work of fiction, Dave, not a documentary.

Good luck with the conspiracy theory. Throw in the "Da Vinci Code" and "The Magdalyn Sisters" into the theory while you're at it.

Sent by Matthew C. Scallon | 2:15 PM | 6-23-2008

@Dave Wiley,

I will totally cop to prejudice against that movie. I like the idea of it, I like some parts of it (the evil skaters with the buzzing fly sounds are actually really creepy), but man is that film a slog to sit through. Way heavy on expository dialogue. Flame away!

Sent by Tricia, NPR | 2:28 PM | 6-23-2008

@Tricia, NPR, Thank you. I'm glad it's not just me.

I may be the only one who think it not funny to refer to Jesus by the n-word, even if an African-American is using the term. That may not be Carlin's or Morrisette's problem, but, if you have Chris Rock on the show, I wouldn't mention this as one of his gems either.

And, as for the "loophole?" An indulgence? That's what we waited for after all this time? OMG.

And, for all the supposedly critical chase-scene backdrop to get to those fallen angels, they sure waste a lot of screen time just sitting around and talking. It reminded me of some of the worst episodes of "Passions." Yes, I compared the movie to a cancelled soap opera.

I don't mind fiction which critiques my religion, even if said fiction be bigoted. After all, we read "The Faerie Queene" in Catholic high school English class. But, even there, we had a pay-off at the end, and that tome took me a month and a half to read. This movie? Umm. I'm still waiting....

Sent by Matthew C. Scallon | 3:11 PM | 6-23-2008

Some people like Kevin Smith movies and others don't. That's all there really is to it.

Sent by Sarah Lee | 3:29 PM | 6-23-2008

@Tricia: "I will totally cop to prejudice against that movie."

Ah truly the editor has all the power. Dogma gone with the stroke of a DEL. . As to whether people should like this movie or not, well, that's a pointless exercise. Wit and cleverness can be explained, but that won't make someone else find it funny. One of my favorite comedies of all times is "Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead", but I've more than one person get mad me for recommending that film. So I stopped. Now that I think back on it one of those people got even by making me sit through "Waiting for Godot." Revenge is a dish best served boring.

Sent by Dave Wiley | 3:46 PM | 6-23-2008

Dave Wiley-
LOL. If you want to make more people annoyed at your movie recommendations, throw Bubba Hotep in there. Apparantly not everyone thinks Bruce Campbell is as awesome as I do. (he is awesome, though)

Sent by Sarah Lee | 5:59 PM | 6-23-2008

@Sarah Lee, that's not uniformly true. I thought "Clerks" was interesting. Not groundbreaking, but it was a fun movie.

I don't dislike Kevin Smith movies because they are Kevin Smith movies. It's just that "Dogma" was bad. Worse still was how apologists dressed up as movie critics for Holloween glommed onto this movie because it "raises new issues about the role of religion in society." If it did, those new issues must have come on after the final credits, because I didn't see them.

Most importantly, unlike "Clerks," it wasn't funny. That's a bad thing to miss in a comedy.

Sent by Matthew C. Scallon | 8:37 PM | 6-23-2008

Thank you for the gratuitous Family Guy. Anything is better with Family Guy clips, even the Most.

Sent by Maura | 8:57 PM | 6-23-2008

I loved Bubba Hotep! I'm not an ardent follower of Bruce, but he sure shows up a lot in the stuff I like. This reminds me that I've been meaning to add Brisco County to my Netflix queue.

Fodder for tomorrows most? http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008/jun/23/sports-bra-saves-colorado-hiker-alps/
It's near the bottom of the Daily Camera's most, but climbing fast. (Please to forgive the pun.)

Sent by Dave Wiley | 9:53 PM | 6-23-2008