Too Beautiful to Live

Customer Service

Thank you, all of you, for the blog comments you've posted in support of the show. We've been reading all of them... and I can't overstate what it's meant to us on a profoundly sad day. As fans of this show know, we are passionate believers in what we've been doing here, and it's heartening to see that you all got it.

A lot of you have asked where you can write to register your unhappiness with NPR's decision. Here's the answer: Go to npr.org/contact/. Click on the "I want to contact a program" option and pick Bryant Park in the drop-down menu. I've been assured that NPR has set up a special folder for these so they'll be separated quickly from the rest of the audience e-mail and directed to the right person. Don't send it to "contact an NPR office/management," since it will go into the general pool of incoming mail and will take longer to be forwarded.

You can also write to our Ombudsman, Alicia Shepard. She can be reached here.

Comments

I wrote to both.

Sent by lisa | 2:26 PM | 7-14-2008

Thank you all for your kind support. It means quite a bit to all of us. I'll be back on Monday. I really hope you'll stick with us until July 25th!

Sent by Alison Stewart-NPR | 2:27 PM | 7-14-2008

NPR is slowly removing all capacity for interaction and communication between its listeners/readers and its "journalists"

This coincides with a serious dumbing down of its content, and coverage. Just go back a couple years and you'll find that the quality of NPR's journalism was much much better.

NPR is fast becoming an irrelevance, just another corporate news source, avoiding and ignoring anything of any importance going on in the world, and flooding the marketplace of ideas with mind numbing white noise.

Wake up people.

Sent by Jody Sol | 2:27 PM | 7-14-2008

Not only have I already commented online at "Contact Us", I also have some snail-mail headed to the DC office!

Sent by Addis | 2:28 PM | 7-14-2008

For what it's worth, here's my sad missive to NPR (sent via the Contact Us link you posted):

I discovered the BPP about 5 months ago via Twitter. I'd just signed up for Twitter and thought it'd be nice to get an NPR news feed. I didn't realize that I'd be connecting to a radio show that connected to its listeners in a new and profound way. And I became one of those listeners - albeit via podcast since I live in Wisconsin.

The news that the BPP has been cancelled has affected me in a way that no media cancellation ever has. First, the show is part of my daily life, not just when it's on the air, but throughout the day. BPP tweets are a mainstay of my Twitter feed. They've allowed me to feel as if the show is a two-way conversation with a very smart group of friends.

Second, as a part of the web design business, the BPP has genuinely made me (a bit of a skeptic) understand and believe in the power of social media. It made me understand how important Twitter and Facebook and Podcasts are to the future of communication and media.

Finally, the show itself is an excellent source of news and analysis and entertainment. It's smart, funny and educational. The staff of the show seem like an extension of my own creative and smart and funny workplace. It appeals to me a in a way that no other NPR show does for all the above reasons.

The BPP is the only show of its kind, and taking it off the air leads me to believe that NPR doesn't really understand how valuable and strong the BPP community - both staff and listeners - is. That's a shame.

Please give the BPP another year to ramp up and find a financial model that can sustain it. Please?

Thanks so much for listening.

Sent by bb | 2:39 PM | 7-14-2008

Since Tricia taught us that effective complaint letters should go to the top of the chain of command, I'll be writing to Mr. Klose http://snurl.com/2yhqz and Mr. Stevenson this week. And I'll be reminding them that I'm (a) under 40 and (b) a volunteer at and sustaining member of my local station.

I won't be telling them about my longtime crush on Alison Stewart, even though it's why I first tuned in.

Sent by Seth in Kansas | 2:42 PM | 7-14-2008

@Addis, maybe we should try Western Union or Pony Express. The way that NPR management is treating its on-line listeners, Amish communities are more in touch with the Internet than they are.

Sent by Matthew C. Scallon | 2:51 PM | 7-14-2008

This was what I just sent to the ombudsman: it may be a point worth making.

-------------

With the shortsighted decision to cancel the Bryant Park Project, NPR has finally fully lost me as both a listener and a contributor. I have long since disengaged from Morning Edition and All Things Considered, shows with formats I find stale and uninvolving, but The Bryant Park Project was smart, funny, engaging and always interesting. I bought a Sirius satellite radio and installed it in my bedroom so I could wake up to the BPP every morning. Without it, I have little reason to ever listen to NPR Now again. With the cancellation of the BPP, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me is the only NPR show I listen to, and frankly, even it's on the bubble now.

By canceling this show, you have lost a member of the demographic you were trying to reach with it: young, affluent, web-savvy, forward-looking. This means that NPR's audience will continue aging and shrinking. I trust this is not what you wanted.

If you feel you must cancel the BPP, I have a humble suggestion: I hate your show Day To Day, an hour-long show that's so boring it seems to last all afternoon. Why not fire the people responsible for THAT radio atrocity and install Sharon, Matt, Ian, Tricia, Laura, Dan and Alison in that time slot, so they can make something people actually want to listen to? And I wish you would note something: I am so connected to the BPP as a listener that only the last of the people I mentioned in that last sentence is a true on-air personality, and yet I feel close enough to them that I referred to ALL of them by their first names! That should tell you something about how devoted the audience of this show is, and how angry we are at this terrible decision.

Sent by Stewart | 2:56 PM | 7-14-2008

Linked to Contact us BPP and commented, Linked to Contact Ombudsman and commented, called the Ombudsman Alicia Shepard's phone number and commented!

I hope that Matthew Scallon's comments about NPR that "Amish communities are more in touch with the Internet than they are" is not true, but I'm beginning to believe he's on to something ...

Sent by T. Weiss | 2:58 PM | 7-14-2008

I have had my arguments with different shows, and the BPP has been no exception. The BPP, however, argued it out within the family. As far as other shows go, both on NPR and commercial stations, the complaints went out into the ether, and nothing came of it.

The BPP has been the only show where, IMHO, we the listeners were helping the show. How many times have story ideas come from a twitter friend or a blog comment? Name another show that does that. I can't think of one.

I'm sticking it out til the end. I look forward to Alison returning to the show --although I doubt Isaac is too thrilled. Maybe Isaac can use those strong lungs to express how the rest of us feel about NPR's axing of the BPP.

Sent by Matthew C. Scallon | 2:59 PM | 7-14-2008

While I don't fit the demographic for The Bryant Park Project (I am 59), I find it relevant, interesting and entertaining. I listen to it EVERY morning on SIRIUS Satellite radio during my very long drive to work. I am sure there are many others in my age group who also find the show informative and current. Please reconsider removing the show from the virtual air waves...I for one will sorely miss it.

Sent by B.Cowen | 3:19 PM | 7-14-2008

I have sent my emails...and plan to send more. If NPR does not listen to all of us who love and trust the BPP as our resource for arts, entertainment, politics, current events, pop culture, music and much, much more then I can no longer listen to NPR.

Here's to the BPP! We'll keep fighting for you!

Sent by Not Giving Up! | 3:20 PM | 7-14-2008

I've added my $.02 to the chorus of voices asking for a way to fund the show through directed listener donations. Let's hope that the idiots in the corporate office will stop listening to their Grateful Dead records long enough to respond.

(sorry, still pissed about this).

Sent by Sleestax | 3:27 PM | 7-14-2008

We'll see how well the Complaining 101 works... http://www.npr.org/blogs/bryantpark/2008/07/complaining_101.html

Sent by Javier | 3:34 PM | 7-14-2008

Call the Ombudsman. She was not taking voice mails earlier, but if you hit 0 (for the operator) they will put you through.
Fight for what you want, as the brass at NPR probably didn't realize the amount of fans that adore BPP.

Sent by DSMaloney | 3:51 PM | 7-14-2008

No, no, no! Why does this always happen? I find a news show I can relate to, and it gets cancelled? BULL! I'm writing in.
I love the BPP! Don't do it, NPR! Don't do it!

Sent by Erica | 3:59 PM | 7-14-2008

I wrote this...Mike can correct the usage of the last sentence...I even used some of Laura's g-ma's hints (or was it aunt?)...

I am really disappointed to find that Bryant Park Project is getting cancelled. I have been a local NPR member in the past and have been listening to BPP via the internet since the beginning. I am a 25 year old male from Kansas and find this program to connect like none of the other NPR offerings. I have told many of my friends about the show because it is a new, fun, refreshing style of news. It is troubling that NPR has decided to take such a short term view of such great potential and leads me to wonder what the future holds for such near-sighted actions. Consider listener funding for the show, as I would sooner revitalize my monetary support through "BPP-full" NPR than a "BPP-less" NPR.

Sent by Tyler | 4:00 PM | 7-14-2008

I'm very upset at the decision to cancel BPP. I'm a 32 year old theatre professor in Georgia. While I've listened to NPR off and on since I was a college student, it wasn't until I heard the Bryant Park Project on Sirius (it wasn't available with my local NPR station) that it became a part of my morning commute and two of the Sirius NPR channels became locked in as presets on my radio. BPP led me to Tell Me More and Wait wait don't tell me, Fresh air, and Talk of the Nation. In fact, I listen to NPR more than the music channels at this point. I found it both entertaining and intellectually engaging and am simply broken hearted that it won't be a part of the NPR lineup anymore.

Sent by Tony Pearson | 4:08 PM | 7-14-2008

I can't believe NPR is canceling The BBP! It has become a staple show that I listen to every moring. NPR should take into consideration that us 30 sometihngs REALLY enjoy listening to it. It's edgy, engaging, funny, and at the same time educational. It's nice to listen to a show where the host is upbeat, close in age and isn't the typical Monotone voice that you here on other NPR show. It's sad to say that if NPR really cancels this show then I will no longer be a listen

Sent by Erin | 4:37 PM | 7-14-2008

help save bpp.

Sent by Trevor | 4:39 PM | 7-14-2008

I just went back and listened again to how to write a good complaint letter. See how useful the BPP is? You can't shut down that kind of public service!!!

Sent by Drew | 4:49 PM | 7-14-2008

politians change their minds, presidential candidates change their minds, intelligent people change their minds.....when they realize they're either wrong or it's in their best interest to do so...npr, your turn.

Sent by janet | 5:12 PM | 7-14-2008

@Drew, this is how the BPP is different. Other shows can have their "driveway moments." He have "blog tweets."

Sent by Matthew C. Scallon | 5:29 PM | 7-14-2008

I just received a reply back from the NPR Ombudsman, Alicia Shepard, to a message I sent in March asking how to support the BPP given that my local stations didn't carry it: "It is not possible to donate to support one particular show at NPR because they all are financed out of one big pot." So instead of sending money to my local station, I sent money to two stations elsewhere that carried the BPP.

Well, the implication of the "one big pot" comment is clear: my only choice if the BPP in cancelled is to stop contributing to the "big pot", i.e., stop supporting NPR completely. It would break my heart to do so, but apparently that's the choice NPR's management has decided to give us.

Like Seth, I, too, am following the recommendations from the http://www.npr.org/blogs/bryantpark/2008/07/complaining_101.html piece--I'm writing snail mail (since clearly NPR doesn't get the concept of "new media") and sending it via registered mail to Kevin Klose. I'm going to explain how loyal I've been to NPR for over a decade, how the BPP is the first NPR program that's really spoken to me (and lots of other people in my age group and who aren't afraid of technology), and how betrayed I feel to have that program ripped away like this--after I, and others, TRIED to support it directly but were told we couldn't!

I'm also going to show I'll put my money where my mouth is, and I hope others will do the same: In my mail I'm personally going to pledge $1000 if NPR will save the BPP. I know everyone can't afford that much, but write a letter to Mr. Klose and pledge whatever you can. I know we're not going to raise $2 million that way, but maybe it will show NPR management that we're serious here, that we love the BPP, and we'll support it if NPR will just LET US.

This is the part that's really infuriating me and making me feel so betrayed: here's a show I loved, that I wanted to support, that I asked how to support, and NPR wouldn't give me a way. I hope they'll see that if they just give us avenues to support you, we'll step up.

Sent by Trey | 6:25 PM | 7-14-2008

I hit NPR as suggested, and also wrote to Sirius (where I hear BPP). I hope other Sirius subscribers do the same.

NPR announced today that The Bryant Park Project will be canceled as of July 25. It is currently being broadcast on Sirius 134 from 7 - 9 am and 10am -12pm This is a fabulous news program skewed to the 18-49 demographic and NPR is crazy to cancel it. Regardless, this would be a great opportunity for Sirius to pick up significantly more subscribers in this key demographic. Check out their blog at http://www.npr.org/blogs/bryantpark/ or their Twitter presence at http://twitter.com/bryantpark and http://twitter.com/bpp. NPR's loss could be a huge gain for Sirius and a perfect fit to either Indie 110 or maybe create a new channel for similar type shows.

Consider this - a built in audience, the potential of new subscribers, your staff all used to working together and located in Manhattan (Bryant Park to be exact) and ready to continue this amazing show.

Sent by Ellen | 7:48 PM | 7-14-2008

The BPP will be badly missed. I've written you a requiem on my blog, and I hope the show makes it back in some incarnation.

Sent by Ames | 8:05 PM | 7-14-2008

I will miss this program and hope that NPR will reconsider. It not only informed and entertained me but it caught and maintained the interest of my 15 year old son. So much for catching the next generation of NPR supporters. BPP is/was a smart and quirky show - just what NPR needs. My morning commute will be terrible without it. No more listening to interesting stories that prompted conversation. I sent a comment and I hope it makes a different! I support KCRW my local station and would support the BPP if it makes a difference!

Sent by Lori Carney | 8:53 PM | 7-14-2008

BTW, the press release http://www.npr.org/about/press/2008/071408.BPP.html cites Ellen Weiss, NPR Vice President for News http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6461426

You might want to write to her, with a real snail mail letter, to NPR HQ, in addition to Kevin Klose. (Remember the complaint letter piece linked above, heh.) The Ombudsman was a position neglected for a while, and Alicia has only been there since January. I get the impression the position is not as strong as it should be.

Snail Mail:

National Public Radio
635 Massachusetts Ave., NW
Washington, D.C. 20001

Sent by Greg | 9:13 PM | 7-14-2008

Re: Trey's comment about the 'big pot' and not being able to contribute to an individual show:

It seems that NPR took a chance and created a new type of show without understanding that they would also have to find a new way to support it. With a younger target demo, they should have expected more people would listen online/podcast than their traditional shows. Therefore, no reason to support an specific station, so no way to show our support where it counts (monetarily).

With new media comes new revenue methods and opportunities. Give us the chance to show our support to a particular show (that is more than just a show to so many of us), and you might be surprised what you get!

Sent by G | 10:30 PM | 7-14-2008

Another for what it is worth...my letter to NPR.

This is the first complaint letter I have ever written, and I am incredibly surprised that it is to NPR. I normally let idiotic efforts roll off my back, as it does not make sense to complain about a miniscule element in life that may not affect our future. However, I firmly believe that the cancellation of the Bryant Park Project will profoundly affect both the future success of NPR, as well as the future success of this country.

I have a journalism background, and cannot tell you how many conversations I have had surrounding the topic of current media antics. We are force fed the same content over and over based on what a few people deem newsworthy, all without an ability to process it. People, especially younger citizens, are anxious to react to notable events in our world, but do not have an outlet. For years, NPR has offered both an ability to become part of our current events, as well as seek a deeper truth than the superficiality of most mainstream media sources. The BPP sought to do the same thing by bringing in the younger audience through an intelligent and effective manner. The future of media is changing radically, and with the creation of BPP, I assumed NPR was doing what they always did -- proving they were ahead of the curve. However, the untimely cancellation of a barely year-old show shows the complete opposite.

The reactions to the cancellation on the BPP blog exemplify just what a mistake it was to cancel the show -- you are losing listeners who have lost faith in you. By not allowing time for the younger fan base to grow, you have lost more listeners now and in the future than you could possibly gain through (albeit great) programming such as Morning Edition.

The responses also prove another thing -- that we are active participants in our society, and are eager to help create the change that is so desperately needed. Within 24 hours of the cancellation news, there are already sites set up to "SAVE BPP." If there is any possible way, we will do our part to save a fantastic, and so desperately needed show.

Sent by Leah | 1:30 AM | 7-15-2008

Arriving a bit late to this party, but I too sent an email (using the NPR: Contact NPR link mentioned above) asking them to reconsider the decision to cancel the show. I think the format of the show, and BPP's use of social networking tools really created a new and interesting show format that fostered a strong sense of community and conversation with the audience. This concept should be given more of a chance to build and thrive. NPR needs shows like The BPP to remain relevant to a new generation.

Sent by Brent (@groovybrent) Altomare | 3:17 AM | 7-15-2008

I have been what some might call a "lurker" on the BPP, never posting. Though with this news I felt I had better come out at least once. I too have sent NPR an email (via the contact link). For the record, here is what I sent:

I have grown up on NPR, my parent's listened to it as I was growing up, and
now I, at 31, listen to NPR myself. I have always enjoyed the balanced and
diverse views and stories you have carried. When I discovered the BPP back in
November 2007, I thought the show had promise. Now over seven months later, I
can't think of going through a weekday without listening to the BPP. It is my
primary source of national and international news, not to mention my source
for humor, art, and culture.

The BPP is a bold experiment that is working, even by your own admission. I
understand the economic times are difficult, and that media is in a time of
transition. The BPP is just the type of show you need to make that transition,
and canceling it will only compound your problems, financial and in terms of
relevancy to the younger demographics.

Do what belt tightening is necessary to make the budget balance, but find
someway to keep the BPP going, in some form! Thank you.

Sent by Ryan Kirkpatrick | 7:24 AM | 7-15-2008

Great letter Leah, really hits on all the reasons this is shortsighted.

Sent by Greg | 7:53 AM | 7-15-2008

This is what I've decided to write this morning. I hope Tricia's Aunt Mo would be proud.

Dear (NPR Bigwig):

You should be embarrassed.

Your announcement today of the cancellation of "The Bryant Park Project" should chagrin you. Why? Because it demonstrates that NPR, the much vaunted news organization, doesn't have its priorities straight.

Over the past several months, "The Bryant Park Project" has grown into its role quite well. You still get the news, of course, but in a live show with a witty, conversational style (in contrast with, say, the highly produced and polished style of "Morning Edition"). More importantly, this show has attracted the younger listeners and the web interaction you were shooting for. What a success! How fantastic that NPR has been able to achieve this!

But instead of celebrating and continuing to nurture this new audience, the audience of your future, you choose to cancel the show that brought them in. This leaves me scratching my head. NPR has been and needs to be at the forefront of new developments in the way people get their news. You've done well with "The Bryant Park Project," growing a loyal audience from the younger generations. Many of these listeners already depend upon the show as their main source of news. Given more time, this audience would grow even more.

You see, if this isn't the time to buckle down and keep these new listeners instead of casting them away, when will it be? Older NPR listeners can only be a shrinking audience. The younger generations will get older, sure, but they will get older with their newfangled preferences for how they get and interact with their news. Will NPR meet this challenge? If so, why not meet it NOW, when you already have gathered a good chunk of willing audience?

Your answer to this is apparently funding problems. If that is the case, then it is the funding issues that need to be addressed. Think about it again. You are set to cancel an already successful show, the show that is bringing in the audience of your future just as you hoped. This after a too-short run measured in months. Something is clearly very wrong. It's embarrassing.

Canceling "The Bryant Park Project" now seems short-sighted indeed, given that you need to attract this new audience. You'll be throwing away the great work already done towards this goal. You say NPR can't afford to keep producing the show. I say, how can you afford NOT to keep producing it?

Sincerely,
GJP

Sent by GJP | 9:19 AM | 7-15-2008

I listen to the BPP online every day. I feel as though I was just told a close friend is dying of cancer. I think this is the worst decision NPR has ever made. NPR has plenty of other programs that contain half the relevant content and 1/10th the entertainment factor of the BPP (Day to Day, News and Notes, etc.) As a relativly young stay at home mom with little contact with the outside world, the BPP is my watercooler- the way I keep up with what's happening and what's happenin' in the world. I feel this is a very shortsighted decision and that NPR will lose a huge chunk of it's next generation of listeners.

Sent by Janelle Alvstad-Mattson | 9:40 AM | 7-15-2008

This is so sad! Although I have only had satellite radio since January, I can honestly say that the BPP saved me from giving up news completely...I had decided to cut out Morning Edition because I found that after a semester of regular listening, I was meeting more and more of the criteria for clinical depression by listening to "striaght up news" (this is a self-diagnosis as a Counseling Psych Ph.D. student). I found the BPP and finally I was able to get the news, as well as maintain my interest and hope in humanity. To those who said it was "dumbed down" I disagree...infused with a glimmer of joy? Yes. Composed with elements of humor that help us, as humans, cope? Yes. Self-aware and approachable? Yes. Dumbed down? Not so much. My next stop is a comment to NPR and it will include a resounding BOO!!

Sent by Teresa | 9:42 AM | 7-15-2008

Sorry to hear this about your show. I am 61 old male who listens to your show every morning on my way to work. I loved the contents of the show and I felt that I was being kept abreast of things that I would not have heard or read in any other format.

Sent by SAM REIBER | 9:55 AM | 7-15-2008

I am sad to just have discovered the BPP only a few weeks ago.

The Bryant Park Project has an energy to it that no other NPR program matches. It feels more live, more human than any other NPR content.

Though it is a new friend, it is one that will be sorely missed.

Sent by Amy Renaud | 10:22 AM | 7-15-2008

This is horrible. The BPP is an awesome program that combines news, information about the world, and reviews of new quality entertainment. You can get all these things free over the internet. This is a good idea that deserves to survive.

Sent by Robert R | 10:53 AM | 7-15-2008

I am shocked and in mourning for this awesome show. And I'll be passing my feelings along to NPR just like everyone else.

Sent by Susie | 10:53 AM | 7-15-2008

@GJP....i'm with you almost all the way in your very fine letter except i was a bit (overly)sensitive to the part about old people "shrinking"..well...yes and no...demographically speaking, no and orthopedically speaking, yes....but mentally speaking, we're still alive and rooting for the BPP...and many of us are savvy enough to nurture and even monetarily support something positive, new and different...and we can still make a lot of (intelligent) noise....fooey with same-old, same-old...NPR, STOP SHRINKING FROM YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO HELP LEAD THE WAY...SAVE THE BPP, TODAY!!!

Sent by janet | 11:01 AM | 7-15-2008

No offense meant :-) Just trying to bolster the main argument: the show is already a big success at its mission, and they're going to throw it out instead of letting it flourish further. Short-sighted. Several of the NPR execs are going to get my letter.

Sent by GJP | 11:29 AM | 7-15-2008

I don't think the BPP is even on the drop down menu for comments anymore. The show isn't even over yet and they took it away! Why are you guys only broadcasting one hour?

This is very very sad...

Sent by Shachar | 12:48 PM | 7-15-2008

I was all "ashock" yesterday! I am on the west coast, so i get to listen to the BBP on Satellite on my commute. I normally will continue online when i get in to work. I also am a friend on Facebook. I haven't been this outraged since Bob Edwards left.
I will write to NPR. Please save the BPP!!!

Sent by Imani | 1:09 PM | 7-15-2008

One of the most lively and informative shows I listen to all day. Closing it down is a very bad move for NPR. It isn't just for the young audience. I'm 57 and listen online every day. I will miss the show. Hope you change your mind! Thanks for the great show while it lasted.

Sent by Don A. | 1:13 PM | 7-15-2008

Can somebody post the snail-mail address of BPP studios? I want to Cc: my letter to NPR headquarters.

Sent by Trey (treyethan on twitter) | 1:15 PM | 7-15-2008

According to the phone book, it's
National Public Radio, 11 W 42nd St, New York, NY 10036. Please correct me if that's not how to reach you and I'll send another copy, but I'm heading to the post office now.

Sent by Trey (treyethan on twitter) | 1:51 PM | 7-15-2008

help save bpp.

Sent by trevor | 1:51 PM | 7-15-2008

Fellow BPP listeners,
If this is about money then offer money with your requests to keep the show.

Sent by amy | 1:51 PM | 7-15-2008

@amy -- I have pledged $1000 in my message to Kevin Klose (not just for now, but on an annual basis if NPR saves the BPP). I also suggested a "Donate now" button on the BPP website and pages of NPR podcasts.

I'm assuming that It's All Politics is next on the chopping block, if not all NPR podcasts....

Sent by Trey (treyethan on twitter) | 2:01 PM | 7-15-2008

It's still in the comments popup menu, if you use the link in the post. It's several from the top of the list.

Good find Trey. My google-fu indicates the same, and that you might want to add 19th Floor to the address. It's not easy, though. I'm surprised that the address was not edited out of the blog comments, but maybe anything goes at this point. I would have understood if it was removed.

Sent by Greg | 2:02 PM | 7-15-2008

One good thing about the BPP being canceled... I'll be interesting again. See, I used to be the guy who read about some obscure study about octopuses or picked up some strange word etymology. With the BPP (Damn you Mike Pesca!!) my thunder was totally taken. I'd come home from work and try and impress my wife at the dinner table and she'd be uninterested, "I heard that on the BPP today."

Canceling the BPP might have saved my marriage!

Sent by Bob | 2:30 PM | 7-15-2008

just posting positive comments is why you were never credible as broadcasters. So glad to see that you will lose at least one outlet for dumbing down America.

Sent by Bret Cali | 2:39 PM | 7-15-2008

Rachel read my limerick on the air for the Ramble! She butchered the syncopation almost as badly as she butchered her own limerick the previous show. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=90213672
I pointed dozens of people at the web site. My local market does not carry the BPP as the South Florida stations seem to be focused more on replays of Lawrence Welk and Prairie Home Companion (both excellent programs, but a little outside my taste.)
After I found the BPP earlier this year I went back and listened to all the Archived shows, even though some of the news was dated. I have only done this before for Wait Wait (that took a long time).
The No-Duh solution is the Donate Now button on all the program's web sites. That way NPR would finally get some revenue from the web traffic they generate and they would be able to discern people's preferences. After the BPP, I listen to Morning Edition and Fresh Air, then switch to the ol' Hi-Fi for All Things Considered. I would target my support at them as well. But I don't want to give a penny to Car Talk, which is what a general donation to NPR does.

Sent by bppaddictohmy | 2:51 PM | 7-15-2008

BPP could be to public radio what Barack Obama has been to political fundraising. By raising small amounts from millions of donors over the Internet, Obama has fueled a revolution that has the potential to kick out large corporate fundraisers.

If NPR would wake up and create a simple "Support BPP" button on this web site and take donations, my guess is they will be in the same position: raising millions from devoted donors.

Sent by Shoney | 3:06 PM | 7-15-2008

Democracy in action: I wrote to both! I just don't think I can get through my mornings with Ian, Dan, Trish, Matt, Allison, Laura, Marky G...and even Pesca!

And this one hour thing for the 2 last weeks is just salt in the wound! NPR, you pain me so...

Sent by Kristen | 3:31 PM | 7-15-2008

BBP was refreshing program and different than the rest of npr shows. I loved hearing from the whole gang in the morning. Ever since Morning Edition lost one of its hosts and the new one is not a good replacement; I listen to the bpp, which is much more interesting. Then there is the blog, fantastic!!! The people are very knowledgeable people at the bpp.. NPR ask for donations for the bpp!!! npr is always asking for money, why not support your shows!!!!

Sent by Leslie | 4:45 PM | 7-15-2008

sent to both general letters and ombudsman. looking into the snail mail method now.
here's a clip of what i sent:

the BPP has also done an amazing job diversifying and drawing in a web audience. this is the new life for radio as far as my generation is concerned. it's been refreshing to have a show that knew what i was discussing or interested in and that i could keep in touch with on so many different avenues. (my local affiliate does not carry this show... if it did i might listen more often)

please strongly reconsider this decision to cancel. i would recommend thinking of this more as an investment in NPR future and in a new generation of listeners.

~eli
Age: 26
checks out bpp on: the blog, facebook, itunes, occasional twitter

Sent by eli | 7:02 PM | 7-15-2008

I sent my letters out certified with a tiny revision and a handwritten PS (hey, you know it's the most read part of a letter ;-) about being willing to contribute to a BPP fund and why don't they try it. I targeted 5 execs:

Klose-President
Davis-VP Development
Smith-VP Programming
Weiss-VP News
Haarsager-CEO, interim though he may be

Who knows, they may all end up on the same desk with the same assistant reading them anyway, but what the hell. I've never written "Save this show" letters before. A few Aunt Mo-type complaints here and there, most of which got results. But those were easy fixes. This one, not so much. Hugely worthwhile, but can't pretend that it's easy.

Sent by GJP | 7:19 PM | 7-15-2008

I wrote to both as well

Sent by Melissa | 7:39 PM | 7-15-2008

another here's what i wrote post -- though i sent a version of it to every board member, as well as the entire corporate team, via email where i could find it, and snail to all. i know the time taken to write one of these might be more than some of us can take. So, i hope anyone here thinking about writing but unwilling to do so will take one of our letters and rework it as their own. maybe we can really make some change.

I am sure that this is merely one in a stream of hundreds of missives protesting the end of the Bryant Park Project next week. As no doubt you have heard, this show has touched its listeners in ways far more profound than any of your other programming. Combining the high standard of news for which NPR is known with the irreverence and humility of its staff, the BPP is an incredible step towards bridging the gap between "new" media and broadcast radio. As a member of the target demographic, I felt understood by a news media program, in a way I'll never find with the (albeit well done) flagship shows of All Things Considered and Morning Edition.

While the phrase, "in this economy," echoes with only mild irony, I do understand the financial considerations you've made. However, this abrupt cancellation contradicts the entire public-financing system from which you benefit via local member stations. With most of Bryant Park's listeners online, on digital FM or via Sirius Satellite Radio, we are not presented with the opportunity to support this programming by donating to our local stations, nor was there at any time an outreach to the community that BPP has obviously amassed to help save the show.

You've seen, I'm sure, the outpouring of support on the web following yesterday's announcement. This community of listeners connects personally to the voices of the show, such that they are no longer voices to us. Just as Peter Jennings proverbially held my hand in the 72-some hours following the nine a.m. hour of September 11th, 2001, Mike, Alison and formerly Rachel, Laura C., Trish, Ian, Dan, Matt, Win, Laura S., Jacob, Sharon - I could list them all, because I feel I know them, but length won't help my point - they have become parts of my life and the lives of my fellow listeners.

Sir, I sincerely hope that our reaction to the prospect of losing the Bryant Park Project has shown you just how many people you reach in this age or new media. And I hope that it is clear just how important a role NPR can play, as we have crossed over the cusp of the Internet era and are firmly entrenched in exploring all the possibilities of digital and virtual life, in bringing news media as far as it can go. I strongly urge you to reconsider canceling this show, and instead, let us, the community of BPP listeners, join you in finding ways to keep it alive.

Sent by meredith | 8:17 PM | 7-15-2008

hi my name is jon and i do not often get on the computer to complain about anything, but, cancelling b.p.p. is just ubsurd.
i am 36 years old and have been listening to n.p.r for about 16 years. i have always loved the programming and must admit that the b.p.p. was a little hard to get used to at first, but i now love it. the show connects with me personally in a way no other show anywhere does. i understand the hosts humor and appreciate the format and the way it is delivered.
the show was a refreshing change to n.p.r.
the decision to cancel the show makes a lack of connection to modernity by n.p.r. sadly obvious.
i must also add that i am a welder and the show helps me keep in touch with what i consider normal people every day before work. a small thread of hope, but a thread nonetheless.
shame on you n.p.r.
and thanks to all the b.p.p. people for a very enjoyable show.
good luck guys.
thanks again,

Sent by jonathan ogle | 10:44 PM | 7-15-2008

Thanks for trying something new. Mike, Rachel and Allison, and team BPP thank you for giving us a great new way to look at the news of the day. While not standard NPR fare, this was a great alternative to the other shows we love from NPR.

You'll be missed on my ipod!

Sent by Tony Repanich | 3:05 AM | 7-16-2008

just wrote to both.

Sent by Marley | 11:17 AM | 7-16-2008

Letters finally sent. Better a couple days late than never.

Sent by Jeremy | 4:51 PM | 7-16-2008

Does anyone know the email format for NPR? ex. first initial last name @npr.org, etc??

Sent by email address? | 4:54 PM | 7-16-2008

Only one hour for the last week!? You're killing me. I understand why, but ... ouch. I was planning to savor every minute of the next two weeks. Insult to injury.

Sent by Allen O. | 10:41 PM | 7-16-2008

Forget NPR. Downsize and go independent. Where do I send my subscription fee? Where's the donate now button?

Sent by Dave Morrison | 12:35 PM | 7-23-2008