Too Beautiful to Live

Let Me Tell You About My Good Friends

description

The cast of the BPP. Zena Barakat hide caption

itoggle caption Zena Barakat

These are just a few of the people who made the Bryant Park Project such an amazing place to work. Last night I left our office knowing that I had just one day left with everyone here, one more day to make the show that we all love so dearly. I was depressed, and I knew there was only one thing I could do — bake.

There is something about measuring, mixing, and frosting that I find incredibly soothing. My mom always baked for me when I was young, and I remember watching her take the time to paint the food coloring on the apple cut-outs on top of her pie. It was like edible proof of how much she loved us. Last night when I was carefully mixing and coloring my third batch of homemade butter cream frosting, I was just overwhelmed with feelings for this group. I leave the BPP with a final batch of baked goods, 24 ice cream cone cupcakes filled with all my love.

Comments

It's probably proof that you don't know what you've got until it's gone, but I have never enjoyed the BPP more that I have this week. I am really sad to see you go.

The BPP was a great show and it sounds like it meant a lot to all of you. Thank you for sharing that passion with all of us.

Sent by Alan | 12:36 PM | 7-25-2008

I miss you BPP and I haven't even downloaded today's (or yesterday's) podcast.

Sent by Jack F. | 12:52 PM | 7-25-2008

I am making those doggone cupcakes and naming them BPP cupcakes. Not ice cream cone cupcakes, not anything else but BPP cupcakes. Awesome.

Oh, and growing up in the Dayton, OH, area, the tributes via WKRP are EXTRA SWEET! I want to work in an office that cool ...

Sent by T. Weiss (Maple_Fan on Twitter) | 12:52 PM | 7-25-2008

That's freakin' hilarious. Where on earth did Ian find the Herb Tarlek jacket?

Sent by Cinder Conlon | 12:59 PM | 7-25-2008

Well done! (sigh...sniff...tear...) Perfect use of one of the greatest theme songs ever.

Sent by Glenn Wonacott | 1:04 PM | 7-25-2008

I am missing you guys already. Everyday we have a conversation that you don't even know I'm part of it. I will miss this show daily.

Sent by Lesley | 1:10 PM | 7-25-2008

"I thought I shook myself free
You see I bounce back quicker than most
But i'm half delirious, Is too mysterious
You walk through my walls like a ghost
And I take everyday at a time
I'm as proud as a Lion in his Lair
Now there's no denying it, a note to crying it
Your all tangled up in my head

Old habits die hard
Old soldiers just fade away
Old habits die hard
Harder than November rain
Old habits die hard
Old soldiers just fade away
Old habits die hard
Hard enough to feel the pain"

Sent by Mary Moore | 1:12 PM | 7-25-2008

I'm over here in tears. I can't believe you guys are actually gone.

Sent by Keo | 1:23 PM | 7-25-2008

I miss you guys already.

Sent by Amy | 1:50 PM | 7-25-2008

I really hope to hear you all again in some other form...but, it won't be the same!

*tear* *tear*...i will miss the show! How am i going to stay awake from 7-9am at work?!?!

Sent by amonster | 1:57 PM | 7-25-2008

Thank you for getting me through my work day for the past 9 months. I am really going to miss you guys and this amazing program. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

Sent by Katie | 2:25 PM | 7-25-2008

Sad. Good luck to all of you. I surely will miss the BPP.

Sent by Drew | 2:29 PM | 7-25-2008

Thank you all! This was a great show and have raised the bar for NPR and all related media.

Sent by Greg Clark | 2:41 PM | 7-25-2008

The loss of your show will undoubtedly leave a hole the size of something very large, like a grand canyon for example.

Thank you for giving your devoted listeners a wonderful show which was both informative and entertaining. You will sorely be missed.

Sent by Ryan | 2:47 PM | 7-25-2008

Please let us know where ya'll land after this. I would gladly follow you to other shows.

Sent by Liz | 3:02 PM | 7-25-2008

I've listened to every show since the beginning, and I'm so sad to see it go. I'm not happy that I cried at work listening to the last show, but it was worth it. I've loved every stage of the show (the Luke Burbank days, Mike Pesca after I got used to him, etc.), and I even forgave after the original AWESOME theme music changed. That's dedication. I loved that song. Best of luck to all of you.

Sent by Ann Cox | 4:46 PM | 7-25-2008

I totally blew off a vendor today. Maybe because I'm really bummed out.
I had my internet addiction under control with BPP. I
I felt like you guys did the surfing for me while I was working.
I need a new methodone.

Sent by amy | 5:02 PM | 7-25-2008

I was just about to listen to the show and have decided I'm just too sad. I'll listen someday - probably multiple times if NPR sees fit to at least allow your archives to be up a little while.

Sent by Emily | 7:30 PM | 7-25-2008

I feel like I have lost some of my family. What a great nine months.

Sent by Mary Ailis | 8:02 PM | 7-25-2008

This is Ron from Hong Kong. Listening to you had been part of my daily routine, the fun kind of course. Just so you know you going off air affects someone from as far as China.

Sent by ron chan | 9:47 AM | 7-26-2008

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Sent by dave | 11:15 AM | 7-26-2008

You have all done wonderful, inventive, and engaging work. Thank you so much for giving us all a lift and some light. Thanks for a funny and classy goodbye.

your colleague

Scott Simon

Sent by Scott Simon | 2:39 PM | 7-26-2008

The BPP informed the heck out of me every morning with the broadcast, distracted me during the day with the blog, and entertained me with the wonderful Rundowns time after time after time.

This show, and what it represented, will far outlive its run. It has shown us the intellectually joyful heights a multi-platform news program can soar to, and by doing that it gives us hope for the future of radio.

Kudos, all around. You have created something you can unconditionally be proud of. It was a privilege to listen to (and be a part of) the Bryant Park Project.

Sent by Will Gerhardt (Will G) | 6:47 PM | 7-26-2008

You know, I've loved radio since I was old enough to twiddle the knobs and punch the buttons on my parents' 1949 Silvertone console.

To me, radio always has been something magical. When I think, for example, of the soundtrack of my early years in the 1960s, somewhere in my mind's ear lies NBC's Monitor.

When I think of the early '70s, I hear the Top-40 stations of my youth in the Deep South. When I think of high school, I think of my favorite progressive-rock stations . . . and I think of being on the staff of our 10-watt FM station at Baton Rouge High.

When I think about what radio represents at its best, I think of one person behind a mic touching the life of one person in front of a loudspeaker. And I think of that connection -- when everything's working as it should -- empowering ordinary folk to connect with others . . . to strengthen the bonds of community.

When I think of radio today, I rarely think of magic, or of connections made, or even of . . . radio.

The Bryant Park Project was a shining exception. I think the outpouring of love and grief from its listeners the past couple of weeks testifies to that.

If you start out by liking, respecting and serving your audience -- and then, over time, find that you have earned your sudience's trust and love . . . how can anyone achieve any greater success than that?

I mean, isn't that the ultimate point of every traditional media outlet's "New Media" initiative? To make an indelible connection with those they seek to serve?

It seems to me that management types get hung up on the buzzwords and on the technology and on demographics and forget the point of it all. The point of radio . . . of mass communications . . . of life.

I think NPR has forgotten the point of it all. It had the near-perfect product and presentation which it didn't know how to market or promote. Then it kicked it to the curb.

And with it, NPR kicked to the curb all the people who, in effect, had been invited into "the family."

Briiiiiiiight. Probably the second-craziest thing I've seen in radio.

Sent by The Mighty Favog | 4:20 AM | 7-27-2008

Amazing that Ian had that same plaid blazer!
Maybe we could get reruns of the show on Adult Swim. You've already got a theme song. It worked for family guy... I'm just sayin'...
Good luck to all of you and I'll be on the lookout/listen to find where you land

Sent by Steve | 10:49 AM | 7-27-2008

just got home from vacation and thought i'd be happily surprised that someone in the Head office at npr would have located their screw driver to tighten up those loose ones...so sorry, and the very best to you all.

Sent by janet | 7:10 PM | 7-27-2008