Personal/Private

Look, Ma! I'm In The Paper!

description

That's me, right behind the taxi. From the New York Times hide caption

itoggle caption From the New York Times

On Thursday, I tried to pedal home by heading toward the West Side bike path. Traffic was so lousy that I ended up turning south down Broadway, taking the direct route.

This was not the easiest choice. I'd just been interviewing a guy who takes care of a memorial Ghost Bike around the corner. It was full rush hour, and Broadway's rarely a pleasant go. But the city has been up to something major there, reworking the road surface in a project that has seemed endless, mysterious and promising.

So there I was, pedaling along behind a taxi, when I heard the distinct click of a shutter. It turns out I wasn't the only one curious about what the city's up to. A New York Times photographer was taking pictures for a story about the rehab of Broadway — a whole lane for cyclists! another for people to hang out on! — and now I was part of it. That smudge up there, behind the yellow cab, is me.

Comments

Be careful Laura!

Sent by annashoup | 3:06 PM | 7-11-2008

Thanks, Anna. I'd be over in the bike lane except it's closed off for painting. Gonna go check it out now.

Sent by Laura Conaway, NPR | 3:10 PM | 7-11-2008

Holy cow, Laura. I'll never complain about traffic again. It would be nice to get bike-cam, helmet-cam video of this for the blog sometime. I'm intensely curious how you big-city folks get around.

"Look, Ma! I'm In The Paper!"

I think this is quite funny coming from someone who is on national radio most weeks. :-)

Sent by Dave Wiley | 3:26 PM | 7-11-2008

Wow. Now I've actually started to worry about the safety of someone whom I've never met. You are one courageous soul Ms. Conaway!

Sent by Jonathan | 3:36 PM | 7-11-2008

Now you're not just a Twitter celebrity, you're also a MSM celebrity!

Sent by Cynthia J. Jackson | 3:41 PM | 7-11-2008

Whoo, I know someone famous! :-) Lord girl, and I thought it was bad in FL. I stand corrected. So you are cool and... crazy!

Sent by Kerstin Upmeyer (Kittydew) | 4:44 PM | 7-11-2008

I'm glad you're wearing a helmet. I downloaded the picture and zoomed in. Maybe Pashman should add that to the list of things that show you've been on the BPP too long.

Sent by Matthew C. Scallon | 5:05 PM | 7-11-2008

Y'all, it's hard to tell from the picture, but it was actually one of the better rides I've had down Broadway. There was traffic (it was about 5:15 p.m.), but I came home saying how peaceful it was.

And today, it was a DREAM -- the big bike lane was open enough to use. Bike lanes all the way home.

Sent by Laura Conaway, NPR | 5:39 PM | 7-11-2008

Aww. This is like seeing one of my pals in the NYT. So cool. Yay for you.

Sent by bb | 10:27 PM | 7-13-2008