Tomorrow's BPP

The Rundown for Thursday

Comments

Request: DVD of a mashup of all the Rundown openings.
And B4 you go - which you're not - please, Tricia and Matt - be Casey McCall and Dan Rydell.

Sent by Glenn Wonacott | 6:47 PM | 7-16-2008

i agree! a dvd of rundowns, complete with deleted scenes, alternate endings, commentary tracks, outtakes, etc. would be fantastic!

Sent by Joe | 7:17 PM | 7-16-2008

This is a great show. It's been four months since I began podcasting it daily and I feel like I just discovered it. What's the deal?

Sent by Todd | 7:28 PM | 7-16-2008

@Glenn Wonacott: Casey and Dan. Perfect.

There was a great line in the final episode of Sports Night when the network had canceled the show-within-a-show. It was something like "Anybody who can't make money off a show as good as Sports Night should get out of the money-making business."

Enough said.

Sent by Maura | 9:37 PM | 7-16-2008

The obnoxious part inside me feels the need to point out that NPR is not a money-making business.

Still, it's good to see I'm not the only one comparing the BPP's cancellation with the last time broadcast media ripped my heart out. I'm more machine now than man.

"We have the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat, and because we have soccer highlights, the sheer pointlessness of a 0-0 tie."

Sent by kevsmirk | 2:55 PM | 7-17-2008

@kevsmirk - Agreed 100%. But it seemed a little too on-the-nose to add "Anybody who can't meet their underwriter and listner funding goals off a show as good as the BPP shouldn't be in the underwriter and listner-funded radio business."

Sent by Maura @m_a_u_r_a | 4:25 PM | 7-17-2008

@maura - On the nose, yes. But also 67% more awesome.

Sent by kevsmirk | 5:41 PM | 7-17-2008

@Maura "Anybody who can't make money off a show as good as Sports Night should get out of the money-making business"
Perfect, Maura. I have had many parallels running through my mind recently between Sports Night and the BPP both in how they thrived and the pressures that eventually killed them.

Capable and brilliant, but never too far from the edge of hysteria Matt is nearly ideal for Dana. I can totally see Mike Pesca as Danny and not just because of the Jewish thing. Ever the consummate professional Alison would stand well as Casey. Another gender bender with the multi-faceted expert yet slightly unsure Tricia as Jeremy. Bright, lap-dog eager and more than a little twisted Ian makes a credible Natalie. Ever ready with the snappy comeback Dan could gain 100lbs or so and be Elliot tomorrow. If Dan keeps on making up half his diet from bacon this may yet become a reality. Nearly silent but awesomely capable Jacob serves well as Dave. I can just see Jacob walking into the studio and delivering the line "I will kill you both with my hands..."

Was I into this show? Yeah; just a little. For other fans of Sports Night the Anniversary Edition DVD is coming out this fall with commentaries and other goodies. Hopefully they ash-canned the first-season laughtrack as well.

Maybe the BPP will get the last minute reprieve that Sports Nights show within a show got. Here's hoping.

Sent by Dave Wiley | 6:59 PM | 7-17-2008

I hadn't thought of the Sports Night parallel...Man I loved that show! People fear brilliance, especially when it is not their own.

Sent by m.rawlins | 11:29 AM | 7-20-2008