Too Beautiful to Live

Where To Find Us Now

Over the next few days, we'll be packing up the Bryant Park Project. The last broadcast is Friday morning. As for the other parts of the show:

The last blog post happens on Friday. BPP friend and NPR guy Andy Carvin has agreed to handle comments through the end of Monday, wherever you are.

The Facebook page will remain live. The main Twitter stream will freeze at some point on Friday. Twitter.com/bppdiner will stay live, collecting updates that mention "BPP." We'll also watch for replies through Summize.

And now, thanks to Rob Paterson, we're building a whole new town. It's on Ning, it's free, and all the cool BPP kids are doing it.

Blink three times and we'll have a staff blog. We'll post it on Ning and Facebook and the Twitter Diner account, so you'll know where we are.

But remember, you were always a part of the show. And you still are. Keep the lights on, will ya?

After the jump, a list of places to find BPP staff and friends.

Staff accounts:

Matt Martinez (plus)
Tricia McKinney
Caitlin Kenney
Laura Silver
Laura Conaway

Twitter volunteers

Comments

I've been listening to BPP every morning during my commute and feel like I get to drive to work every day with all of my friends in my back seat... Allison Stewart sounds so much like my best friend I have been known to confuse which person told me a story!

I've never posted on the blog before, but I'm going to miss this show so much and wanted to tell you how much I've appreciated hanging out with you every day.... I loved this show and think I'm still in the bargaining phase.

Best wishes to you all,
-sp

PS. I knew every word to "the humpty dance" the other day, and I'm not going to lie- I was a little shocked and embarrassed.

Sent by sheena | 1:31 PM | 7-24-2008

This really sucks! Finally, a news show with a different focus and attitude and stodgy old NPR cancels it. Real smart! A new audience was forming and all sorts of younger people and even boomers were listening with new interest. I'll miss you guys. I hope to hear you in other formats. Thanks for the past year!

Sent by Stewart | 2:41 PM | 7-24-2008

I loved the show! You did a great job of helping me stay informed while providing an entertaining format. I turned a few friends of mine on to the show and we would talk on a regular basis about the news of the day and how we felt the show really catered to our generation (late 20's) Thank you for opening up the dialouge for me and my generation, and so long to my favorite NPR show!!

Sent by Shaun M Demeter | 2:42 PM | 7-24-2008

your show is/was very cool, fresh, witty, smart, silly, sexy, and fun...I will miss it.

Sent by steven | 3:04 PM | 7-24-2008

whywhywhy!!!!!!!!!

Sent by Nichole | 3:19 PM | 7-24-2008

Just when I found a morning show to love, NPR takes it down. I'm 55 with kids in college, so I'm not the demographic - so I don't get this. I will miss you all very much.

Sent by Ellen | 3:53 PM | 7-24-2008

I don't know if this is any of our business, but I think listeners would like to know where you're going next career-wise. In the next couple of months, can you update us on facebook or twitter?

Sent by Shachar | 4:18 PM | 7-24-2008

I am completely, utterly disappointed in NPR for the first time in my life. I listen on the radio, iTunes and the web. BPP was a fascinatng, new way to present stories of interest. It's an exceptional, outstanding show combining popular radio host formatting (casual interraction in the booth) with the insightful, keen reporting that is NPR's trademark. It will be sorely missed in my world. By cancelling BPP, NPR has destroyed the one offering that had a chance of saving NPR from becoming obsolete in this fast changing world.

Sent by TheBlondeArtist | 4:54 PM | 7-24-2008

i'm still stuck in anger. take your head out of your butt, NPR! This was good stuff, and you're sadly misguided to cancel it!

Sent by candice | 8:17 PM | 7-24-2008

I signed up awhile back to do those periodic NPR listener surveys. They sent me one a couple of days ago. I used the survey as an opportunity to express yet again how very p***ed off I am about the cancellation. I love you guys, and I'm going to miss hearing you every morning more than I can say.

Sent by Cinder Conlon | 8:17 PM | 7-24-2008

@Candice: me, too! I'm so angry & kind of hurt that they would tease us with the quality of BPP, then take it away.

@Cinder: me, too! Also, I agree... I'm going to miss everyone.

Sent by April | 10:36 PM | 7-24-2008

I'm 43 with two kids and an hour long commute. BPP was a joy to listen to. NPR, as a listener for a *long* time, this was a mistake. I think BPP was bridging the offline/online world better than any other radio program, and probably skewing your demographics in the right direction. My vote is to flip this decision.

Sent by James | 12:18 AM | 7-25-2008

I've had a hard time putting into words the sense of loss I feel about the Bryant Park Project being canceled. I know there are many, many things that are more disappointing than losing one's favorite radio show, but I still feel sad, I learned so much from this community and I will miss it deeply. This program really attempted something innovative and fresh. As someone who only dabbles in technology, glances at blogs, and listens only to podcasts and radio that enlightens and entertains me, the BPP did all of that for me.

While I understand the current economic climate, I feel that this show was NPR's opportunity to shine and move forward. The old adage is true, you have to spend money to make money and create a significant reach. If this is done properly and effectively the glow effect will be significant. I truly feel that that this program had the potential to accomplish its intended goals and I disagree with the corporate decision to discontinue this show. This decision, possibly deemed small by NPR corporate will have a long-term affect on my overall opinion of NPR.

To the staff of the BPP those whose voices we heard and those who made those voices sound so good I thank you for your hard work, dedication to the show and allowing us to come along for the ride. I wish you all luck and hope that you will continue in your respective fields to set a standard that we all feel you've achieved with the Bryant Park Project and therefore carrying on its legacy.

Sent by Aparna Choudhury | 12:24 AM | 7-25-2008

All I can say is: I hope another organization, like American Public Media or Minnesota Public Radio, picks up the Bryant Park Project and syndicates it nationwide.

Sent by Matthew Higa | 4:51 AM | 7-25-2008

Will archived shows remain on NPR? I'd like to go back to the beginning and listen to select bits...

Sent by Marc Naimark | 5:06 AM | 7-25-2008

Did NPR finally succumb to the political pressures from the right because BPP cut too deep? Did the bad little boys bruise the big bad bullies? Shades of the Smothers Brothers and Laugh-in! NPR you are making a bug mistake -- When everyone is looking for opportunities for unique positioning and supervalue niches, NPR had it handed to it on a platter and blew it both short and long term -- I'm over 70 and like many of your regular listeners think I'm outside your demographics -- Want to survive? Then get the youngsters like the BPP crowd. -- What a bunch of Dorks!

Sent by Don Wood | 8:30 AM | 7-25-2008

I love you guys! I was always jealous of all of you because I wanted your job. You made my mornings fun. Why do the things we love always go away. I cant help but resent NPR for doing this to you and all of your fans. I am or at least was an avid listener of NPR but I don't know if that will continue. I hope you guys go somewhere else and that I can follow you there. I shed a tear for you and me.

Sent by Ryan M. Kelly | 8:45 AM | 7-25-2008

I've been puzzled by BPP. (though definitely a good show) Was it meant to be an alternative to "Morning Edition" for those stations who wanted something different? And cancelling after less than a year doesn't seem like giving it enough of a chance. I'm sorry about this.
I have a very high opinion of NPR. But the brass have made a few decisions in recent years that seem very questionable. It makes me uneasy. I wonder if I can expect the same level of excellence in the future that I have become accustomed to.

Sent by RWK | 2:52 PM | 7-25-2008

I miss you guys already. I never listened live--always streaming. But I loved the show , the format, topics etc. Best Wishes to all involved.

BTW, for future reference, maybe the trick is to not be on a show with Pashman--what is this, two straight shows that were canceled??? ;) I miss Morning Sedition, too.

Sent by Matt Brown | 9:05 PM | 7-25-2008

I just don't get it...why did this have to happen??? I LOVE THE BPP!

Sent by Suzanne Walsh | 10:29 PM | 7-25-2008

this morning was the first time i heard the bryant park project. i was immensely stunned and excited to hear what Mr. Krulwich had to say about "deciding at some point in your life that the adventure you're on is worth the adventure." that made me smile and also deeply humbled me, as this is an aspect of life i have been thinking about for quite some time, and it was so refreshing to her this hard-won perspective from someone so creative and talented. it is a great pleasure to listen to professionals ply their craft. thank you!

Sent by zenosf | 1:14 AM | 7-26-2008

What the ...? I am devastated. Unlike most of you, I listen to BPP just as I am going to bed every night in Sydney, Australia, and when I first discovered it, it was like striking gold. It has always been a highlight of my day to turn on the internet radio and hear my friends in midtown Manhattan deliver their fast, slick, intelligent, funny, interesting, fresh program. So I was gobsmacked and deeply disappointed to hear it was ending. My deepest admiration and congratulations to all those who put BPP together. A rare quality product in our pretty shallow world.

Sent by Howard | 7:56 AM | 7-26-2008

What to do with a last week's worth of podcasts?
Having a tough time listening to them. I think I'll store them for a few days until I can work up the strength to listen.

Thanks!!!!!!

Will be watching what happens for y'all on the BPP Diner.

Sent by Marc Naimark | 9:03 AM | 7-26-2008

Sorry to see the BPP go dark. Personally I think Mike Pesco was better for the show than Allison Stewart. Don't think I would have stuck with the show anyway after Allison Stewart returned, just not as quick, witty, clever, funny as Mike Pesco.

Sent by Pablo T. | 2:44 AM | 7-28-2008

BPP had me from the moment Alison tossed in a "Doctor Who" reference several months ago...as a 28 year old ex sci-fi nerd, I was instantly in love (with the show, Bill)!

You will be greatly missed! you pulled me through my mornings with style and panache, and while I love Steve & Renee, Morning Edition just won't quite fill the void.

Sent by Buquebus | 6:34 AM | 7-28-2008

I will miss you guy.
It was aprogram that made me look at America and her people in a new light.
You educated me and made me laugh.
So sad that it is over.....
Good Luck

Sent by Ronn Mostat | 12:23 PM | 7-28-2008

I commute 280km each day. Just as I was about to go stir crazy, Italian radio leaves a lot to be desired, I found BPP on Itunes. Thank you for making my last year enjoyable again. I will miss you.
Lee in Sesto Fiorentino (FI), Italy

Sent by Lee Marchman | 3:12 PM | 7-28-2008

day 1 of BPP office withdrawal....I don't think I can handle this.

Sent by Kim | 4:39 PM | 7-28-2008