Andrea Hsu

Hear Us Experience the Earthquake

The sound of the earthquake in progress, recorded by Melissa Block

You can hear Melissa's interview interrupted as the building started shaking and we realized it was an earthquake. For the full story go here.

Comments

Please tell us about the conditions in Chengdu. Are businesses open? Will the children be back in school tomorrow? Did any buildings collapse? We are supposed to travel there on the 21st for business. I'm wondering if conditions will permit. Is the airport open?

Sent by Chris | 1:36 PM | 5-12-2008

It's surreal to hear the earthquake during your interview. I am always an All Things Considered fan and Ms. Block was very calm and this live recording of the quake and the chaos was really good and timely reporting. Thanks so much, NPR.

Sent by Matthew | 2:24 PM | 5-12-2008

I live in Las Vegas, Nevada. My daughter works in Macau, but went on a sightseeing tour to Chengdu. I can't reach her. I am so worried for her safety.

Sent by Steve | 2:33 PM | 5-12-2008

I have been extremely impressed by Melissa Block's reporting during and after the earthquake. It is remarkable that she was able to maintain her composure and professionalism during the event itself. Thank you for making this riveting reporting available to us.

Sent by carey | 5:54 PM | 5-12-2008

Glad to hear that Andrea and Melissa were unhurt. It was obvious for all Californians that it was Melissa's first earthquake. I don't envy what she's going through now, because it has to be far far different from what happens in a quake for anywhere in California. We're so prepared, and the building codes are so effective here that damage from earthquakes is limited to older buildings, all of which are unreinforced masonry.

Melissa has experienced a bigger earthquake than I've ever been in. I can distinctly remember where I was for all 4 major earthquakes I've been in, and there were several smaller ones that you forget about as no big deal. My biggest was in October 1999 in Southern California, the USGS reported it as a 7.1. I know that a 7.9 is significantly worse, but far worse than the actual shaking is the destruction, and then even worse than that is the loss of life. I can't imagine what the NPR team is going through seeing this.

Sent by SeanBlader | 11:51 AM | 5-13-2008

This is not intended to be posted, but I just felt compelled to tell you how much I have appreciated your coverage of the earthquake this week. I've enjoyed Melissa Block's work for years, but she has outdone herself this week, beginning with the extraordinary composure she displayed during the interview when the earthquake hit. Well done to your entire team!

Sent by Mark Pfundstein | 6:46 PM | 5-14-2008

Wow, Melissa Block is my new hero.

Sent by Christy Decker | 11:27 PM | 5-14-2008