D2D California Dreaming Series

Shereen Needs Music

Hey, beloved Day to Day listener/Daydreaming reader,

Last week, we put a call out for songs to include in our comprehensive list of the best songs ever recorded about California. We've gotten some responses, but need more. It can be anything, from the obvious to the obscure, so please post your suggestion in the comment section below.

Also, we'd also like to hear from musicians out there working hard to make your California Dreams come true. If you have an original song you've written about California, you can either post a link to the song below or us an email here and we'll respond by telling you where to drop the mp3. If it's awesome, we'll air it.

Comments

I wonder if you've gotten this one already: Semisonic's "California." A callback to the 90s, on the same album as "Closing Time."

Sent by Ashley | 6:55 PM | 7-23-2008

Bran Van 3000: Drinking in LA always reminds me of the life I wasted here trying to become someone I wasn't and was never going to be:

As we rode on the ten down to Venice again/
Flaring out the G-Funk/
Sipping on a juice and gin/
Just me and a friend/
Feeling kinda groovy/
Working on a movie. (Yeah right!)/
But we did nothing, absolutely but kiss that day, and I say/
What the hell am I doing drinking in L.A. at 26?

Sent by chet | 10:43 AM | 7-24-2008

Song: Hey California
Artist: Catie Curtis
Album: Long Night Moon

Sent by Kirsten | 12:31 PM | 7-24-2008

Since Angelenos are reputed to be so LA-centric, gotta have a little Randy Neuman: "I Love LA!" Especially since some people think the LA he sang about is fast disappearing...

Sent by kgb | 12:31 PM | 7-24-2008

Surely someone has mentioned the more recent addition to the classic songs about California: "California" by Phantom Planet.

For a more obscure song though, check out "Freeway" by the LA band Simple Citizens (can be bought through Itunes.) It's a great bio about how we get around, or don't, in LA.

Sent by Tony Spagnoli | 12:37 PM | 7-24-2008

My favorite California song is "King of California" by Dave Alvin.

Sent by Susan Ghirardelli | 12:40 PM | 7-24-2008

"California Stars" is my clear favorite for the best song about the state. Written by Woody Guthrie and arranged by Wilco and Billy Bragg from their album "Mermaid Avenue, Vol. 1", the song makes me nostalgic for a time before the highways and s1/2ivisions canvassed this incredible land.

Sent by sam jaeger | 12:47 PM | 7-24-2008

The Decemberists - Los Angeles, I'm Yours

Sent by 150 | 12:49 PM | 7-24-2008

here is a link to my song about california, or more specifically, hollywood. i guess it's about failed california dreams after several years living here. so, i'm not sure if it counts in your quest for california songs. still, i present...

Sent by jeremy wilkins | 12:52 PM | 7-24-2008

hands-down favorite California song:
"California Earthquake" (written by Rodney Crowell) as performed by the bluegrass group Seldom Scene (The New Seldom Scene Album, Rebel Records). To my mind it captures the truth of California better than anything I've heard.

Sent by emr | 12:57 PM | 7-24-2008

- Personally, I've always liked the way Lucy, Ricky, Ethel, and Fred sang their way into California singing "California, Here I Come!"

- But, there was a time when my parents were deciding whether or not to move us out of homey urban Southern California into small town Northern California - and as we traveled back and forth out of the city into what seemed to me like true backwoods Jo Dee Messina's song "Heads Carolina, Tails California" helped make the change seem natural, exciting and possible. Our own quarter flip meant we stayed below the L.A. County line - and that song has often reminded me of how different my life could have been off and away in farm country.

Sent by Caroline | 12:58 PM | 7-24-2008

I've always thought about doing this. I would suggest Josh Ritter's "California". Also: "Why You'd Want to Live Here" by Death Cab for Cutie (though it is a negative song about LA) and "California" by Lucero

Sent by Scott | 1:19 PM | 7-24-2008

My favorite is "Californication" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. And I also like Catie Curtis' "Hey California"

Sent by Shay | 1:29 PM | 7-24-2008

Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Sent by Tori | 1:29 PM | 7-24-2008

LL Cool J: I'm going back to Cali

Sent by naomi shersty | 1:29 PM | 7-24-2008

I love "California Dreaming" by Mamma's and Pappa's but my absolute all time favorite is "Lights" by Journey. I'm from San Francisco Bay Area and now landlocked in Kansas City, MO

Sent by Deb Rodriques | 1:30 PM | 7-24-2008

California Stars by Wilco / Billy Bragg off the Mermaid Avenue Album.

Sent by JK | 1:31 PM | 7-24-2008

"California" by Paul Curreri.

Sent by Meg Gardiner | 1:32 PM | 7-24-2008

Although this dates me, I've always like "The Little Old Lady from Pasadena." That will be me someday, although I am from Michigan. Go Granny, Go Granny, Go Granny, Go.

Sent by Carolyn | 1:32 PM | 7-24-2008

I would nominate "Estimated Prophet" by the quintessentially Californian Grateful Dead.

Sent by Jason | 1:32 PM | 7-24-2008

My all time favorite:
"Day After Day" by Shango.

Sent by Vanessa | 1:33 PM | 7-24-2008

My favorite California song by far is Joni Mitchell's "California" from her blue album.

Sent by Rachel Schulson | 1:33 PM | 7-24-2008

The best 'California' song ever is 'oh, California!', by David Ackles, on his 'American Gothic' album. Elektra Records, 1972.

Sent by Mark Lincoln | 1:33 PM | 7-24-2008

the disposable heroes of hiphoprisy did a kick-a** version of the dead kennedys' "california uber alles" in the 90s, replacing references to jerry brown with pete wilson. unbelievably catchy.

Sent by tracy idell hamilton | 1:34 PM | 7-24-2008

"Clouds over California" by DevilDriver to throw some metal into the mix.

Sent by Matt | 1:37 PM | 7-24-2008

My favorite California song is "Estimated Prophet" by the Grateful Dead. It just seems to capture for me the essence of the elusive California dream - "My time coming, any day, dont worry about me, no
Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so
Seems so long I felt this way and time sure passin slow"

Sent by Karen | 1:37 PM | 7-24-2008

Always loved Youth Brigade's "Sink with Kalifornija," played nice and loud.

Sent by Jesse Pires | 1:40 PM | 7-24-2008

2 years ago a job took me away from sweet California. Joni Mitchell's "California" always makes me homesick for the beauty and free spirit of Northern CA.
"Oh california I'm coming home
Oh make me feel good rock'n roll band
I'm your biggest fan
California, I'm coming home"

Sent by Laurie Cirivello | 1:40 PM | 7-24-2008

Brought up in Florida in the 40s & 50s, California was the enemy in the Orange Juce Wars. I was a Dodgers fan untill they moved to CA. However, every time I hear "Hotel California" I get a smile on my face and usually sing along

Sent by Bill Hagood | 1:41 PM | 7-24-2008

This is Amazing! Keep them coming and thank you, thank you, thank you!

Sent by shereen meraji | 1:41 PM | 7-24-2008

I am now firmly re-planted on the East Coast, but the following songs allow me to fondly reminisce on my years in California. They are both great songs and quite different from each other:

1. Billy Bragg & Wilco: "California Stars"

2. Frank Black (Self-titled Album): "Los Angeles"

Sent by Liv | 1:44 PM | 7-24-2008

California Stars by Billy Bragg & Wilco on the Mermaid Avenue Album (Woody Guthrie's words)

Sent by Joanna | 1:48 PM | 7-24-2008

I am from Silicon Valley, San Jose, California. My favorite song about California is by teh R&B group Maze featuring Frankie Beverly, appropriately titled, "Look At California". The descriptive lyrics never rang so true as when driving between San Jose and Monterey. I hope you are able to play a few measures for your audience. Kenneth

Sent by Kenneth Treadwell | 1:52 PM | 7-24-2008

I also like "Do Re Mi" - again a Woody Guthrie song - Nanci Griffith does a nice version.

Sent by Joanna | 1:55 PM | 7-24-2008

Led Zeppelin - Going to California

The Excessories - I Wanna Call in Sick Today

Sent by Chris | 1:55 PM | 7-24-2008

There are so many anthemic songs about California, I'm hard-pressed to pick just one. Woody Guthrie's "Do-Re-Mi," The Shocking Blue's "California Here I Come," Youth Brigade's "Sink With California," this list goes on.

A song that's come to my attention recently is "The Dying Californian," one of the hundreds of "shape-note" tunes from THE SACRD HARP, a book of hymns that are sung not in church services, but by mixed groups of trained and untrained singers who share a common interest in choral music. The song dates back to the Gold Rush with words attributed to John Renfro Davis. The lyrics of the more religious Sacred Harp version is credited to one Kate Harris. An interesting song with an interesting history.

Sent by Morgan Andrews | 1:59 PM | 7-24-2008

I'm divided. I agree with Rachels choice of the Joni Mitchells poigniant and longing for "California". But, I also enjoy the racous and fun "California Sunset" by Neil Young. And isin't it odd that both are from the 'Great White North'. But please never use the euphenism 'cali' again. Although no longer a resident, I still cherish the memories. Dan Dorris

Sent by Dan Dorris | 2:29 PM | 7-24-2008

I've got two:

California Sky by Unwritten Law

California One/Youth And Beauty Brigade by The Decemberists

Sent by Isaac | 2:32 PM | 7-24-2008

Song: California Lost and Found
Artist: Josh Schicker
Album: howsweethowcruel (2008)
Link: myspace.com/joshschicker

My own original song about pervasive falsity that if you just get to that perfect place everything will be better.

Sent by Josh Schicker | 2:36 PM | 7-24-2008

The Dead Kennedy's original California Uber Alles has got to be on the list....

As does the McGarrrigle Sisters "Talk to me of Mendicino"; a great song of leaving someplace else to come to California...

Sent by Dana Eyre | 2:42 PM | 7-24-2008

My favorite Cali song would probably have to be TOOL's ??nema. California in general is too caught up in the material world.

Sent by E. Harwood | 2:51 PM | 7-24-2008

"If You See California" from Chris Robinson's Album "This Magnificent Distance"

Sent by Karl Fenske | 2:51 PM | 7-24-2008

definitely joni mitchell's "california"; funny how a song written almost 40 years ago about california culture still holds so much meaning today

Sent by benjamin lazarus | 2:53 PM | 7-24-2008

I suggest Hugh Cornwell (The Stranglers)& Robin Williams song "Dead Loss Angeles" from the fabulous album "Nosferatu". Thank you. It's a song every true San Franciscan can love...

Sent by David Fischer | 2:54 PM | 7-24-2008

I put together a California playlist on my ipod while I was waiting to hear whether I got a job that I applied for in LA. I listened to it obsessively for a few weeks during the cold winter in Washington State, and it was my good luck charm! I have been in sunny California for about 3 months now and I am excited to share a few of the quintesentially California songs that nobody has mentioned yet!

Sublime: April 29, 1992
Soul Kid #1: More Bounce in CA
Cheech Marin: Born in East LA
Weezer: Beverly Hills
Albert Hammond: It Never Rains In Southern CA
and my favorite...
Counting Crows: Long December

Sent by Becky Jamison | 3:14 PM | 7-24-2008

I don't care what anybody else says - "California Dreamin" is totally the best California song!! It makes me happy every time I hear it.

Sent by M McDonald | 3:31 PM | 7-24-2008

Not so much an ode as it as a scathing critique:
"Antennas"
by Rancid

"So with no evacuation, let California fall into the f^&*ing ocean."

Sent by G. Scott | 3:32 PM | 7-24-2008

My time coming, anyday, don't worry about me, no
Been so long I felt this way, I'm in no hurry, no
Rainbows and down that highway where ocean breezes blow
My time coming, voices saying they tell me where to go.

Don't worry about me, nah nah nah, don't worry about me, no
and I'm in no hurry, nah nah nah, I know where to go.

California, preaching on the burning shore
California, I'll be knocking on the golden door
Like an angel, standing in a shaft of light
Rising up to paradise, I know I'm gonna shine.

Sent by Peter | 3:35 PM | 7-24-2008

California Night by Becky Schlegel. Beautiful voice on that girl...

Sent by JJ | 3:36 PM | 7-24-2008

The legendary SoCal rock/punk/postwhatever band, Hot Snakes, have an exquisite California song by the name of "Plenty For All". One of my all-time favorite tunes.

I'll echo Jesse's quip about Youth Brigade's song (Sink With Kalifornija) and add D.I. / Rikk Agnew's song "OC Life".

Sent by Shervin Riahi | 3:37 PM | 7-24-2008

My favorite songs about California are "Los Angeles, I'm Yours" by The Decemberists (someone already mentioned this one, but it really is excellent), and "Dressing Room Walls" by The Old 97s.

Sent by Alisha Ashley | 3:38 PM | 7-24-2008

1.Gram Parson's cover of "California Cotton Fields"

2.Sweet Baby "She's from Salinas"

Sent by Bill | 3:44 PM | 7-24-2008

My choice is: California Bloodlines by John Stewart, a true Californian and great Americana song writer of our time.

Sent by T. Sawyer | 3:45 PM | 7-24-2008

California One Youth and Beauty Brigade -- The Decemberists.

It's a pretty song with nice lyrics. I, after all, am part of this brigade. I'm youngish anyway!!

Sent by Lance Kozmo Edwards | 3:46 PM | 7-24-2008

"Back To California"
(a hard driving song about her house on high ground)She rocks out here!
Carole King

Sent by Scott | 3:46 PM | 7-24-2008

As a daughter of a child of the Sixties, Joni's Mitchell's "California" invoked dreams of my own mother's hopefulness and yes, grief at the events in America and beyond. Still, the song seems like it could have been written today, in our own time. It's all about War, Rock n Roll and Summer Love. I don't think anyone will ever capture those themes with the same beauty and angelic voice as Joni did though.

Sent by Tara | 3:47 PM | 7-24-2008

The band Quasi wrote and recorded a song called California.
Great song from their album "Featuring "Birds"".

Sent by Chad | 3:47 PM | 7-24-2008

Eagles: Hotel California;King of Hollywood
Joni Mitchell (I renominate) California
The Doors: L.A. Woman

Sent by Wayne Gibbsw | 3:50 PM | 7-24-2008

I love how Jolie Holland captures asense of exasperation with California in "Goodbye Califonia"...from the album Escondida

Jolie: http://www.anti.com/artists/view/2

Sent by Conrad | 3:57 PM | 7-24-2008

Sink with California

Youth Brigade early 80's Southern California punk band I believe is playing around again.

Sent by Dean Javksob | 3:58 PM | 7-24-2008

Having been born in Southern California and worked the 1980's in the Central Valley, this is my best musical view of the Golden State. When I got my first CD player long ago, this was the very first CD I bought...

Artist: John Mayall

Others: John Mark, Stephen Thompson, Johnny Almond

Writer: Mayall & Thompson

Album: The Turning Point (1969)

Song: California

To Hear: http://www.last.fm/music/John+Mayall/_/California?autostart

Why: A live performance recorded in July 1969 at the Fillmore East. acoustic Blues/Jazz song of loss and broken promises. The best alto sax work, harmonica, flute, and acoustic guitar ever. Mayall's voice is sad and right on.

Sent by Barrett | 4:00 PM | 7-24-2008

camera obscura: "san francisco song"

Sent by stu | 4:07 PM | 7-24-2008

Roy Orbison'S "California Blue"
California blue dreaming all alone
Nothing else to do california blue
Everyday I pray Ill be on my way
Saving love for you california blue

Sent by George Coffey | 4:18 PM | 7-24-2008

"California Bound"
Carolina Liar
This is an amazing new song, and so upbeat! It's definately become the soundtrack to my summer!

Sent by Livvy | 4:29 PM | 7-24-2008

Californication
Red Hot Chili Peppers

As a resident of Portland, OR this is about the only Cali song I can stomach, and only because I can appreciate the irony so much.

Sent by Roy Barnes | 4:30 PM | 7-24-2008

Randy Newman's "I Love LA!" The best.

Sent by Cookie Chandler | 4:30 PM | 7-24-2008

Song: California
Artist: Phantom Planet

It's the theme song from The OC. I moved back to Portland, OR two years ago - but whenever I hear that song it reminds me of driving in the sun down PCH back home to Laguna... Now I shall be California Dreamin' for the rest of the day - with a smile on my face. Thanks for reminding me!

Sent by Hannah Hasbrook | 4:32 PM | 7-24-2008

Hotel California by the Eagles

Sent by Jane Popp | 4:41 PM | 7-24-2008

If you really like songs about California, you must listen to "California Songs" on the album "Whatever Happened to P.J. Soles?" by Local H.

Sent by chris | 4:43 PM | 7-24-2008

I wrote a song called California. You can find a recording here:

I hope you like.
Vytas

Sent by Vytas Nagisetty | 4:46 PM | 7-24-2008

josh ritter's "California"
"going out to California
gonna let the water warm my clothes"

Sent by m.rawlins | 4:55 PM | 7-24-2008

I would like to offer "Talk to me of Mendocino" by Kate and Anna McGarrigle. Linda Ronstadt did a cover of the tune as well.

The song really captures perhaps some of the more ambivalent feelings of the classic east coaster. I being one of those from Nova Scotia Canada, who can sometimes feel as though I landed on another planet.. a Golden Dream..for sure.. but... as a northern type I have a built in light meter that makes me behave like a lab rat in the bright southern California sun sometimes.

Cheers and hears to all the dreamers!

Sent by Marsha Lake | 4:56 PM | 7-24-2008

"Fillmore Jive" by Pavement, off the greatest California album ever, Crooked Rain Crooked Rain. It's certainly a great youth/city anthem in general, but it speaks of my birth state to me.
"Unfair" off the same album is just as awesome, in a more tongue-in-cheek way ("Swing your nachos like ya just don't care!")

Sent by Emmett Booth | 5:00 PM | 7-24-2008

"Come to California" by Matthew Sweet

Sent by carrie | 5:27 PM | 7-24-2008

My favorite California song is "california" by Tupac Shakur...let me welcome everybody to the wild wild west...

Sent by Malem | 5:32 PM | 7-24-2008

a bluegrass song by becky schlegel - mpls, mn

Title
California Night

oh i followed you to the desert
where the coyotes call and cry
and you took me in like a stranger
on this dead of winter california night

and i walked with you by the mountains
so golden mile after mile
and i painted myself a sunset
in those dark blue eyes and california smile

and the coyotes sing
for you and me
underneath the desert sky
on this dead of winter california night

sometimes i return to the mountains
just to hear the coyotes cry
and they wonder why you're not with me
and how california's missing you tonight

and the coyotes sing
for you and me
underneath the desert sky
on this dead of winter, california night

Sent by becky schlegel | 5:48 PM | 7-24-2008

"Los Angeles" by X.

"Golden State" by John Doe.

"I Hate L.A." by The Returnables.

Sent by Ray | 6:02 PM | 7-24-2008

"California (part 2)" by Mason Jennings.

First verse:
"I'll tell you what I'm gonna do
I'm gonna lighten up
I'm gonna throw a box of books and my beloved guitar
Into the back of my truck
And try my luck in California..."

Beautiful....

Sent by Ben | 6:13 PM | 7-24-2008

Chuck Berry's "The Promised Land".

Sent by DANevis | 6:14 PM | 7-24-2008

I see that someone already mentioned the song (which I had guessed), but I would like to add another vote for...

'California Stars'--Billy Bragg and Wilco

By far, the best song about California I have ever heard.

Sent by jolango | 6:21 PM | 7-24-2008

I've got one obvious choice, and three more obscure ones:

1) "California Dreaming" by the Mamas and the Papas. (Obviously the obvious one. A hauntingly beautiful song which is actually about not being in California.)

2) "Look at California" by Maze with Frankie Beverly. (Great funk/soul groove by transplanted Philadelphians intoxicated by their move to the Golden State.)

3) "California Soul" by Marlena Shaw. (I was captivated when I heard this song used in a recent Dockers commercial. I looked it up and found it was an Ashford and Simpson composition recorded by many artists. But if my ear is good, I think the version used in the commercial is the one by Marlena Shaw, a semi-obscure favorite of mine.)

4) "San Francisco Night" by Eric Burdon.(Indulge me on this one. Not California per se, but close enough. Cheesy and corny, to be sure, but for me, it's a nostalgic blast from the past. And it's got "If You're Going to San Francisco" beat, hands down.)

Sent by David Gurk | 7:50 PM | 7-24-2008

The Thrills - "Santa Cruz (You're Not That Far)"

Sent by LW | 7:58 PM | 7-24-2008

Song: Day After Day
Artist: Jerry Riopelle
Album: In the Blood

Description: a charming little calipso number about California falling into the ocean... :)

Sent by Paolo | 8:25 PM | 7-24-2008

"Diamonds on My Windshield," by Tom Waits.
Late night freeway-flyin'. Yes!

Sent by Peoria Dave | 8:54 PM | 7-24-2008

I'd nominate "California Love", by Tupac Shakur, and "Palmcorder Yanja", by the Mountain Goats, two great songs about California that mention landmarks of the Inland Empire.

Sent by Linus | 8:58 PM | 7-24-2008

My favorite California song is one that has never had any commercial play. It is by an old California hippie named Greg Schindel. I first heard him perform it in 1985 while I was living in Bolinas, California. I do have a homemade tape of it. It is a sad, reminescent song, simply called "California." If I could transfer the tape to cd you would hear a great piece of music sung by a deep soul accompied by his own fine guitar playing.

"California, California, the glory is now over."

Sent by Mark L LeRoux | 9:10 PM | 7-24-2008

i'm ashamed of my NPR-listening fellow punks! tsk, tsk....only ONE person mentioned "Los Angeles" by X?!!!! never fear...i have more....

perhaps one of the most harrowing is "L.A" by The Fall...a soaring, propulsive, yet dark and cantankerous ditty that really never gets around to directly addressing the particulars of those darkest corners of the California dream (a theme that runs through most of my picks here), but does sort of hint around it in atmospherics and oblique references.

"Call of the West" by Wall of Voodoo is a cautionary tale of the broken dream recast both thematically and musically speaking in a postpunk-cum-spaghetti-western vein.

earthquakes are always fun... and "California's Falling Into The Ocean" by 100 Flowers is, although outwardly apocalyptic, is however, kind of...well, oh heck, who am i kidding? it's just plain apocalyptic....

"Water, death, ocean depths

Water rising rising rising
Mountains sliding sliding sliding
California's falling falling
into the ocean.

Friction, rust, salt air, lust

Passion in its final heat
Real life with its final cheat
California's falling falling
into the ocean.

Beaches, kelp, bodies, we need help

Arizona stands as the new frontier
There's nothing left of Santa Monica pier
Science fiction calling calling
California's falling falling

God kills his children
God kills his children
We are drowning
We are drowning"

of course the Dead Kennedys have already been mentioned by a few here, but perhaps my favorite DK's song about california sounds a bit less dated, lyrically speaking, (rather, quite timely, in fact); and that's "Moon Over Marin"...

"The crowded future stings my eyes
I still find time to exercise
In uniform with two white stripes

Unlock my section of the sand
It's fenced off to the water's edge
I clamp a gasmask on my head

[Chorus]
On my beach at night
Bathe in my moonlight

Another tanker's hit the rocks
Abandoned to spill out its guts
The sand is laced with sticky glops

O' Shimmering moonlight sheen upon
The waves and water clogged with oil
White gases steam up from the soil

[Chorus]

I squish dead fish between my toes
Try not to step on any bones
I turn around and I go home

I slip back through my basement door
Switch off all that I own below
Dive in my scalding wooden tub

My own beach at night
Electric Moonlight

There will always be a moon
Over Marin"

Sent by dan carlson | 9:16 PM | 7-24-2008

Estimated Prophet by the Grateful Dead

Sent by Terry | 12:13 AM | 7-25-2008

There is a local band in Ohio called The Sunset Junkies, their first self titled album has a great song called California. The song is available for download on digstation.com or iTunes.com. More info on sunsetjunkies.com

Sent by Craig Bauman | 7:20 AM | 7-25-2008

Check out "California Lost & Found" by Josh Schicker www.myspace.com/joshschicker

Sent by Andy | 8:26 AM | 7-25-2008

Here's a song about following someone to California, titled "Come Rain".
www.myspace.com/owenbeverly

Sent by Oliver Roberts | 11:29 AM | 7-25-2008

My hands down favorite California song is "California Lost and Found" by Josh Schicker. Great song. Go to www.myspace.com/joshschicker

Sent by Meagan | 2:07 PM | 7-25-2008

Babylon Sisters by Steely Dan "Drive west on Sunset to the sea..."

Sent by Mosby O | 4:16 PM | 7-25-2008

WOW born, raised and currently residing in Cali - and I am WAY impressed by everyone's selection.

My own picks ... well the Beach Boys do represent for the California Girls. I've been away from home long enough to fall in love with LL Cool J's goin back to Cali...

I like that Tribe Called quest remembers the little beach towns "left my Wallet in El Segundo" and as for the Chili Peppers - they always represent for LA. Of course there's Californication but even though I've managed a life free of any heroine addiction I LOVE their love for the City of Angels - the city I live in.

Sent by Amy | 7:09 PM | 7-25-2008

"California Fade" by Anna Waronker:

Sent by jon krop | 7:26 PM | 7-25-2008

California Man - Cheap Trick
California Paradise - The Runaways
Come to California - Matthew Sweet
So Cal V8 - Redd Kross
Tinseltown Rebellion - Frank Zappa
San Francisco - NU
Waterbed of Hollywood - Ann Magnuson
California Here I Come - Shocking Blue
California Nights - Sweet

Sent by jonny z | 7:34 PM | 7-25-2008

My favorite California song by far is 'California' by John Mayall on the album "The Turning Point".

Sent by Sherry | 1:13 AM | 7-26-2008

Definitely check out "California lost and found" by Josh Schicker. I think it captures the soul of the dreamer that is so present in destinations like California.

Sent by Becky | 1:57 AM | 7-26-2008

If you haven't heard "California Lost and Found" by Josh Schicker you should definately check it out at www.myspace.com/joshschicker. It is a great California song. And check out the rest of his music while you are there.

Sent by Sue | 9:07 PM | 7-26-2008

"Here in California" by Kate Wolf
Featured California line: "There's no gold; I thought I'd warn you, and the hills turn brown in the summertime."

Sent by Catherine | 10:48 PM | 7-27-2008

2Pac's California Love and Journey's When the Lights Go Down in The City!

Sent by Amy | 11:00 AM | 8-7-2008

Here's a song about how California draws you to her to live your dream -even when you have to leave friends and family behind. California by the Gordon Free Band.

Sent by Heidi S | 5:17 PM | 8-13-2008

It's been mentioned, and I know it's cheesy, but I moved away from California almost 3 years ago and always feel a little sad now when I hear the Mamas and the Papas' "California Dreaming," especially on a snowy winter's day.

Other favorites include Pep Love's "Pacific Heights" and the Animals' "San Francisco Nights"

Sent by Liz | 10:58 AM | 8-31-2008

I'm a 53-year-old third-generation Angeleno, so there is a lot of California, and a lot of California songs in my blood. My very favorite is perhaps among the obscure: The Acousticats' "California Republic," from the 1992 album/CD _Down at Evangelina's_.

Sent by Jim Merrill | 8:36 PM | 9-21-2008