Internet Tubes

No Politics, Thank You; We're Girls

Is there anything the web doesn't know?

Well, yes. Apparently, it can't get the most basic fact about me right.... or about most of the other women here at Day to Day.

I'm talking about this irresistible gimmick Andrew Sullivan linked to recently. The site trolled through Andrew's websurfing history and it correctly predicted that the likelihood of him being a guy was 92%.

I took the test, and here's what it said about me:

Likelihood of you being FEMALE is 23%.
Likelihood of you being MALE is 77%.

It then listed the male/female ratio of my latest websites:

myspace.com 0.74
huffingtonpost.com 1.35
slate.com 1.11
npr.org 0.98
politico.com 1.7
realclearpolitics.com 1.82

So, the newsier the website, the more male? NPR - not so manly; Slate - go skin me a lion!

Tell us what you think after you take the test.

Comments

I'm a "60% male" female. Too much news, not enough shopping.

Sent by Patricia Legault | 12:31 PM | 8-7-2008

Dreadful.Likelihood of you being FEMALE is 8%
Likelihood of you being MALE is 92%

Say what?????
I am so a female - medical sociologist, mom of 3 sons

Sent by diane g cohen | 1:33 PM | 8-7-2008

Slate's my homepage and I spend (waste) more time procrastinating there than anywhere. I doesn't seem like this script measures the sheer time you spend on a site, just that you did visit. Curious. 95% female. Correct.

Sent by Katherine | 1:40 PM | 8-7-2008

I'm 76% female female. Probably what gave me away are the recipe sites I visit quite often!

Sent by starr | 1:45 PM | 8-7-2008

Likelihood of you being FEMALE is 96%
Likelihood of you being MALE is 4%

Totally accurate

Sent by Lynn C | 1:52 PM | 8-7-2008

I'm a "90% female" male. I suppose being a stay at home dad may have something to do with it though I don't feel particularly feminine. Hmm...

Sent by Jimmy Courtice | 1:54 PM | 8-7-2008

I'm a female whose browsing habits are 59% male. Maybe those work-related hits to irs.gov changed my profile?

Sent by Cecilia, Boise ID | 2:20 PM | 8-7-2008

"65% male" female. Reuters killed me. But apparently MapQuest has feminine leanings (surprised?).

Sent by F | 3:41 PM | 8-7-2008

I was surprised it was accurate for me being a female. I thought my bisexuality would have thrown it off.

Sent by Jezabel | 4:02 PM | 8-7-2008

The is Jolie, editorial assistant to the stars (of Day to Day). Not to play into tired gender norms, but I consider myself a reletively feminine woman. Not so, says Mike Nolet's clever little algorithm. Drumroll: 100% male.

Sent by Jolie | 4:08 PM | 8-7-2008

Sent by Amy | 4:37 PM | 8-7-2008

16% female, 84% male, some how it missed all the web sites I go to for spinning,knitting and weaving products. My husband of 32 years is going to be very surprise!

Sent by Betty Veveiros | 4:44 PM | 8-7-2008

81% "male" male. Rotoworld (fantasy football news) weighed heavily.

Sent by Jerry Gordon | 5:33 PM | 8-7-2008

From my home computer, used exclusively by 2 females, here is the result:
Likelihood of you being FEMALE is 52%
Likelihood of you being MALE is 48%
Apparently, I'm more female at work.
"Hmm. Wonder if I'll get a different result from my home computer. Here, I'm a 60% female, 40% male. In real life, I'm female.

Sent by Amy | 4:37 PM ET | 08-07-2008"

Sent by Amy | 8:14 AM | 8-8-2008

Likelihood of you being FEMALE is 57%
Likelihood of you being MALE is 43%

Strangely enough, I thought it would be more male.. I'm a female, but not a particularly girly one. Hmmm.

Sent by Jitna Bhagani | 10:09 AM | 8-8-2008

Hi Everyone,
I interviewed the guy who created this application, and he admits there are a lot of flaws in it. It doesn't account for how many times you visit a website or how long you're on it.

By the way, he was deemed a woman. The culprit: Crate and Barrel.

Sent by Madeleine | 10:37 AM | 8-8-2008

Likelihood of you being FEMALE is 100%
Likelihood of you being MALE is 0%

correct. I've been using many banking sites and being a newlywed I've been checking our registry sites at C&B, W-S and Macy's regularly.
I wonder what would happen if I cleared my browsing history today and tried it again next week.

Sent by Karen | 1:40 PM | 8-8-2008

98% lady. Good job! But apparently the icanhascheezeburger website is more male? Who knew men enjoyed the LOLcats?

Sent by haley | 1:59 PM | 8-8-2008

Likelihood of you being FEMALE is 100%
Likelihood of you being MALE is 0%

Umm... too much shopping? I am in fact female. But hey, I like huffingtonpost.com too!

Sent by Barbara | 3:44 PM | 8-8-2008

82% female, 18% male. I'm a female. I wonder if circuit city and best buy would be rated so manly if they knew I was looking for a washer/dryer! Curiously, aessucces.org (where I pay off my student loans) is more female than bluenile.com, which sell engagement/wedding bands!

Sent by Rachel | 4:32 PM | 8-8-2008

Oops, I'd posted this in the wrong section! Anyway, here it is in the right one.

I have to say, though I'd like to be offended by the sites opinion that news and politics following are masculine things, I'd say that statistically it's true. Sure females I know have some interest in politics, we're mostly liberal and like to keep informed, but it's the males I know that make an obsessed hobby of knowing everything they can about news and politics. My theory is it comes from their thirst for a good debate, a modern and acceptable alternative to the brawl in the jungle. To put up a good debate, they need to be informed, and having sources to site for their information really helps to back up what would otherwise merely be opinions.

Sent by Sarah Smith | 3:58 PM ET | 08-07-2008

On the other hand, the test gave me 57% Male. Mostly for using Mu Torrent, Newgrounds, and going to CNN.com I guess?

Sent by Sarah Smith | 6:05 PM | 8-8-2008

Wow-didn't think I'd be so predictable!
91% female
9% male

Sent by Laura H. | 6:42 PM | 8-12-2008

Just tried it, and it says I'm 100% male. Maybe if I take up smoking I could audition to take over as the Marlboro man. I'm sure the test will increase my chances. Or something like that.

Sent by andy carvin, npr | 4:03 PM | 8-13-2008