Politics

Men Like Her

According to Madeleine's interview with a Gallup pollster, Sarah Palin hasn't really affected the race. Of course, this is before she speaks at the RNC tonight.

But here's one interesting tidbit: men are much more interested in McCain than women.

According to Gallup, among Independents (who both sides are coveting), men prefer McCain 47 to 42 percent. Women prefer Obama 46 to 39 percent.

And a CBS poll notes that in response to Palin nomination, 17% of men now say they are more likely to vote for McCain. Indeed, Bill Tancer, general manager of research at web-metrics firm Hitwise, notes that interest in Palin is at an all-time high overall:

If you compare the number of searches for "John McCain," "Barack Obama" or "Joe Biden" with those for "Sarah Palin," there's no contest. In just two days, the number of U.S. Internet searches for "Sarah Palin" reached a peak greater than any other political personality in the past three years. [full item]

Now....why would that be?

A Day to Day poll for my brothers:

Photo by Joe Raedle, Getty Images

Comments

I do not feel it is necessary for me to judge or even comment on Sarah Palin's daughter's pregnancy, or on how the family is handling this matter.

I do, however, feel free to comment on how the McCain campaign presented the family for the first time to the American public. As I watched the family come on stage and stand behind Gov. Palin, something kept nagging at the back of my mind. I felt that the way one of the daughters was holding the baby kept drawing my attention. After we heard the fact of the pregancy, I realized what was nagging at me was the way the child was spread across the chest of his older sister with a large receiving blanket spread under him. It now seems obvious to me that this was the staff's attempt to "hide" the young woman's condition. I would have had much more respect for McCain and Palin if they had presented the facts up front and not concocted this hypocritical cover up -- in the most literal sense.

I don't think they can have it both ways, "we're proud," but not so proud that they wouldn't try to hide the fact of the pregnancy. It ranks up there with, "I didn't inhale."

Again, my objection is to the way this was presented and makes me wonder about the judgement of the people advising McCain and his judgement in following their advice.

Sent by Nancy M. Griggs | 3:05 PM | 9-3-2008

Of course men like Palin. My spouse is a liberal democratic who describes Sarah Palin as a babe. However, the selection of Palin has shifted the focus of the election from the issues and back to McCain' age and therefore, his judgment in the selection of a running mate.

Given McCain's age (does he parade his mother around as a sign that longevity runs in the family?), the readiness of VP becomes an important campaign issue. His assessment that Palin is a "quick study" does not inspire confidence. Any policy stances that Palin may express from this point forward are "massaged" views. We need to look to what she has done in the past for a glimpse of the truth of her political views. While the RNC is pushing Country First, it seems Palin's economic view has been Alaska first. I am amazed that while the country is reeling from high oil prices, Palin's sees $1,200 rebates from oil companies to Alaskan citizens as sound economics. I am sure a governor, these rebates make her popular. As a citizen of the greater USA, the decision to continuously provide these rebates is shortsighted.
I was a Hillary supporter. I was prepared to support McCain until he selected Palin. This choice insults my intelligence. Not because Palin is a woman, but because it is poor judgment to select a partner who is so much like yourself. It leads to a narrow perspective on issues, groupthink, and a lack of balance.

Sent by Lorretta J | 3:16 PM | 9-3-2008

You can fool some of the people all of the time. Why is it that the people that continue to be fooled are Republicans. John McCain is a great man, Sarah Palin at least got elected to Govenor on her own merits, but isn't it obvious by now that Republican policies, at least on the national level, are nothing but a pyramid scheme, where those on the top grab as much as they can as fast as they can, before the structure collapses. How many times do the taxpayers have to be buried under the avalanche of bad policies while those responable golden parachute to safety before we wake up and get these guys away from the levers of power.

Sent by al oster | 3:26 PM | 9-3-2008

Men's egos are attracted by women who are considered the "First Prize"--"THE PERFECT TEN"
In this case, first prize is the Office of Vice-President of the USA.

If she's good enough for a war hero like John McCain, she's gotta have what it takes.
Number TENS always set men's hearts afire.

Governor Palin's views on premarital sex are liberal; so she's not your average political conservative prude.

Besides, she's unknown. Men are always fascinated by the mystique of the unknown, forbidden fruit.

Most men are gamblers; and enjoy the excitement of taking risks with life and limb. Palin is one of the biggest gambles and risks in US history.

P.S. What are her views on Planned Parenthood? Is she in favor of increased funding to prevent unplanned, unwed teen pregnancies?

Sent by Gregory Duch | 3:53 PM | 9-3-2008

I can only muster shock and disdain at such blatant pandering and a clear pick to win the election not to do the job. As time goes on it is increasingly evident that she was selected hastily purely because she is a woman and he wants to win the election. This is truly the worst form of sexism. Picking Sarah Palin, yet another beauty queen in the McCain line. And unfortunately many men relate to that.

Sent by Debra | 4:33 PM | 9-3-2008

Alex, this is hardly scientific nor rigorous, but maybe Madeleine gets more comments to her posts because she asks questions of readers. Invites them in, as it were? And here, you just asked a question of us and look at the responses to your vote!

Sent by Michael Fukushima | 4:41 PM | 9-3-2008

I feel it is very necessary to comment on her family situation, as the matter will effect hundreds of thousands of teenage girls across the nation. The traditional GOP stance looks something like this:

"...At the same time, the revelation focused attention on the GOP's call, in the party platform adopted yesterday, for unwed teenagers to abstain from sex." -www.boston.com

Here's the bottom line: abstinence only sex education does NOT work. Her daughter is proof of this. If McPalin, allowed into our oval office, teen pregnancy will increase.

Sent by Tim Morgan | 5:19 PM | 9-3-2008

Maybe as a woman and a mother I am concerned about this last child she elected to have in her later time of child bearing years, knowing what the risks were, and has chosen her career over the needs of this child. Down syndrome children take a lot of time and work. Since she already had a good job why is she putting herself over the child?
Unless I get a good answer I would not want her as the V.P.

Sent by Margaret Inman | 8:31 PM | 9-3-2008

This is from 2 women in thier 50's who have voeted both ways. Our question is, why should you choose to have 5 children and run for a major polital office? If you make a committment to give birth to 5 children you are committed to caring for them and not turning that responsibility over to someone else. Who will take care of the DownsSyndrome baby when the mother is away? Not the best choice in our opinion for a Vice-Presidential nominee.

Sent by Joanie Ricki and Kathy Raymond | 9:05 PM | 9-3-2008

In my opinion it feels like this race has undertones of prejudice. When I compare 2 highly respected law school grads who have adhered to the issues being the economy, health care, war and oil to 2 others one having graduated from the Naval Academy the other with an undergrad degree and look at the way the GOP ticket represents the wealthy and big business, the choice seems clear. The GOP speakers have been attacking the Dems in a very appalling way. It makes the party look bad as a whole. When you combine that with the lack of diversity in the party, it makes the GOP look like segregationist. The average voter who is supporting the GOP will not benefit from their platform because the average voter is not a multinational corporation nor do they fall into the less than 1% of the population which holds upwards of 70% of the wealth. This is what leads me to believe that even though the average GOP voter is claiming to vote republican based on the platform in reality I think in most instances it's due to race.

Sent by Keith Anderson | 10:53 PM | 9-3-2008

Don't be lonely Alex, we still love you!

Sent by Tom | 6:31 AM | 9-4-2008

Yes men relate to an attractive woman unfortunately it's short lived when she begins to speak.

I agree with most that the McCain pick is a blatant pander to women of the U.S. My wife is extremely insulted and to pick an attractive woman without experience is a desperate attempt to garner votes from thinking America.

Sent by Lyle K. Deere | 11:07 AM | 9-4-2008

Let's face it: men will support a McCain/Palin ticket if it means 4 or even 8 years of Palin in a state of elevated media coverage, and thus the possibility of seeing her in something more revealing than a pantsuit. Sorry, that's just the way we think.

Sent by Greg | 11:58 AM | 9-4-2008

Do you think she would make a good president? Come on, America, start to THINK!!!

Sent by Chris Wood | 8:28 AM | 9-22-2008