Your Turn: User Nominations

From the novel Matilda, by Roald Dahl
and movie of same name
Nominated by Sydney Meader

Roald Dahl's Matilda.

Dahl's Dauntless Matilda Puffin Books hide caption

itoggle caption Puffin Books

Matilda Wormwood didn't have an easy childhood. The daughter of the wicked Harry and Zinnia Wormwood, Matilda was neglected and forced to bring herself up into a cruel world filled with rude big brothers and evil school principals. With no one to turn to in the real world, Matilda turned to books. A brilliant child, Matilda could read by the age of 3 — and was reading literature by 4.

When I was first introduced to Matilda, I was immediately intrigued by her. As a 7-year-old, I thought she was the most amazing person in the world. Smart, brave, and kind, she was exactly the kind of girl I wanted to be. It didn't hurt that she had magical powers and was triumphant in her fight against the monstrous Miss Trunchbull.

Never in my life have I felt as much admiration towards another character as I did towards Matilda Wormwood.

Comments

Great choice! MATILDA remains, 18 years after I first read it, one of my very favorite books.

Sent by MSC | 4:54 PM | 4-25-2008

Matilda was one of my idols while growing up. Especially since my parents thought I spent too much time reading and were always taking my books away. She was a great comfort.

Sent by Alyssa Goss | 11:56 PM | 5-3-2008

I second this one. She made it seem normal for a little girl to love literature. This book came out when I was 11 and totally validated the 'wierdness' of being a bookworm. I now, at age 30, have a degree in english literature and a darling daughter named, yes, Matilda.

Sent by Anisa | 7:41 PM | 5-7-2008

My family life wasn't the best, so, when I discovered Roald Dahl's tortured child characters like Matilda, she became the character that I wanted to be. Smartest girl in the room, blessed with powers that her parents don't seem to notice. Tormented, she finds a way to shine. That's a powerful lesson for children like me to learn.

Sent by Benjamin Carr | 7:26 PM | 5-10-2008

i read that book and it is the best book ever! if you are reading this comment right now i really recommend this book to you.

Sent by Megan 4th grade | 12:56 PM | 5-30-2008

I LOVE this book. I think that your blog was great.

Sent by Emma 4th grade | 1:01 PM | 5-30-2008

I liked the way you describe how smart Matilda really smart she is when she is only 3 and 4.

Sent by 4th Grade | 1:02 PM | 5-30-2008

This book really got to my heart and what happened to Matilda could of happened to anyone.

Sent by Isabel in 4th grade | 1:02 PM | 5-30-2008

This is a really inspiring book about the struggles you can have during childhood, and encourages you to always think out of the box. Matilda rocks!

Sent by Gloria | 9:43 AM | 9-20-2008

i love this book, i would definitely give this book to someone who would like it!

Sent by Jennifer | 8:02 PM | 9-22-2008