Keith Olbermann's fans barely had time to start collecting names on their petitions to get MSNBC to reverse its suspension of the anchor before the network, in fact, ended his time in the penalty box.
As has been widely reported, Olbermann, the self-styled scourge of conservatives and Fox News Channel, was suspended last week for making campaign contributions to Democrats in three House races without getting his bosses' pre-approval.
His suspension lasted all of two days. And while it had some support, there were many on both the political left and right who thought it was excessive and loudly said as much.
In a statement issued late Sunday, MSNBC president Phil Griffin said:
After several days of deliberation and discussion, I have determined that suspending Keith through and including Monday night's program is an appropriate punishment for his violation of our policy. We look forward to having him back on the air Tuesday night.
Olbermann tweeted his reaction on Sunday as well:
Greetings From Exile! A quick, overwhelmed, stunned THANK YOU for support that feels like a global hug & obviously left me tweetless XO
When you have a cable channel's top rated show, as Olbermann does, the financial pressure to get you back in the studio in front of the cameras is no doubt greater than the financial pressure to keep you off the air.