Music

Kat DeLuna Sings National Anthem; Patriotism Says 'Uncle'

Look, the national anthem is a hard song. It has a notoriously huge range, it's not particularly rhythmic, and right at the end, it does that la-and of the freeeee" thing to you that will just really cause pain to the unprepared.

Nevertheless, most people called upon to sing the national anthem on a public stage as prominent as the one Monday Night Football provides can be counted on to rehearse it enough that the experience doesn't wind up being ... too painful.

This is not always the case, however.

On Monday night, the anthem was performed by pop singer Kat DeLuna, who managed to hit enough sour notes that she was lustily booed by the crowd when the performance was over.

Granted, she made some choices about changing the mood of the song that not everyone would agree with. (A friend of mine commented, "I've always thought our national anthem needed more 'Unbreak My Heart.'")

But that really wasn't the problem.

The problem was the bad notes — including the very last note, which is very, very bad indeed.

The good news? She's not lip-synching, anyway.

Comments

Please keep your community civil. All comments must follow the NPR.org Community rules and Terms of Use. NPR reserves the right to use the comments we receive, in whole or in part, and to use the commenter's name and location, in any medium. See also the Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Community FAQ.

Why don't they just play the tape of Whitney Houston's version and be done with this nonsense?

I was watching at home and I booed too.

Sent by Tim Taylor | 10:44 AM | 9-17-2008

Why do these singers try to turn it into a soul ballad? It's based on a drinking song. Just belt it out, straight and get on with the game.

Sent by Art | 11:37 AM | 9-17-2008

lustily booed, huh? Hee hee hee. I would say that rendition is NOT putting country first. =^p

Sent by Peter V | 12:48 PM | 9-17-2008

Here's my theory on the Star Spangled Banner: Francis Scott Key was held captive as a political prisoner by the British when he wrote the poem. Although sources state that anthem was set to the tune of a drinking song, I imagine it may have also been set to the same tune that a six-year-old on time-out makes up as a way to express frustration/annoy their captors.

"I'm really BORED and I don't like sitTING here and my shoes ARE blue and there's a BIRD out the WINdow."

How this song became associated with non-international sport competitions is still a mystery to me.

Sent by Mike M | 1:56 PM | 9-17-2008

I must be friggin' tone DEAF because I didn't think it was reeeaaallyyy that bad...I guess I've hear worse?

Sent by Nancy | 3:06 PM | 9-17-2008

It didn't sound as bad as I anticipated, maybe because I read the commentary before listening to the clip. I thought she sounded quite rehearsed, albeit quite stylized. (Unbreak My National Anthem. Heh heh.) Sounded just like a 20yo pop sensation's idea of cool. I was most tickled by the thought of the cheerleaders squatting down in front, waving their flag pom-poms and thinking, "O my knees, finish already."

I will now never be able to hear the song without seeing a cranky six year old pouting in a corner, just waiting for the game to begin. Thanks for that fab image Mike M.

Sent by Gina | 11:54 PM | 9-17-2008

If this woman had been on American Idol", she'd have been one of the contestants blowing off the advice of Tony Bennett (and other esteemed singers) to just sing the melody.

Sent by Tracy DC | 10:17 AM | 9-18-2008

That was truly terrible for a couple of reasons. One: yes, you need to make the song your own to a certain extent, but she didn't give the song the respect it deserves. Two: she is of the school that says screaming is good singing. If you don't know how to support a note, it will sound terrible, even if you sort of hit it.

Sent by KL | 11:43 AM | 9-19-2008