Learning to Laugh About Cancer

I heard my first cancer joke the other day. I assumed that cancer jokes must exist, but I had just never heard one. It's not the easiest subject to joke about, of course. I know that when I joke about it, it can make people uncomfortable. But I do think it's important to be able to laugh about it all. I mean, funny things do happen. And of course there's the old cliche, I laugh so I don't cry.

So here it is:

When a cancer patient dies, why do they nail the coffin shut?

So the doctors can't do just one more round of chemo.

OK, so it's not really all that funny, although there's certainly a ring of truth to it. But I am still encouraged that someone even tried to come up with a cancer joke. I wouldn't recommend telling it at a party, for instance. But who knows, it might get big laughs in the chemo room.

Cancer takes so much from our lives. I think it's important to keep it from stealing our laughter. And for all the people who don't have cancer, and who get uncomfortable if we joke about it, it's OK. It's just a disease. We need to be able to laugh about it, and we need you to laugh with us. Not the uncomfortable nervous laugh, but real laughter, the kind that makes you feel better. We'll all be better off.

So have you heard this one? Two tumors walk into a bar... OK, that may be in questionable taste, but I've just always wanted to say that.

Comments

Yeah, people always cringe when I tell them that the chemo clinic was standing room only because "people are just dying to get in". I always think that line is funny but usually I laugh alone.

I also walked into the chemo clinic on my birthday for my 3rd round of chemo with a note pinned to my chest saying "bald women do it better". Barely got a chuckle there either. However I wish I would have found this site that had the perfect t-shirt that said "Your boyfriend likes to rub my bald head". I have hair now so I don't need it but I would have loved it then. I found this site and contacted the guy, "Big Ryan" and he is a hoot. He's "part of the community" too. Send him an email and tell him that Lori sent you.

Enjoy,

Lori

Sent by Lori Levin | 7:47 AM | 8-28-2007

Or how about this one: Three tumors die and go to heaven...

Or: What do you get when you cross a brain tumor with a jack rabbit?

Or: There was a rabbi, a priest and a cancer patient all in a boat...

I have never heard a cancer joke, but you're right. It's about time we got some. The problem is, of course, it's just not very funny. It drops very hard into any conversation.

But I've tried hard to keep laughing throughout. When I was first diagnosed, my doctors and surgeon all had slightly odd names, so me and my friends nicknamed them all with very ribald names, which made us laugh and took just a bit of the sting out of them.

I've also encouraged my friends to send me, via email, the funniest things they come across, because frankly I could use a laugh. Every day if possible. The little video that went around about tattoo-removal was pretty darn funny...

I've even tried to go back and watch the movies that have made me laugh the hardest -- and that's a short list. The problem was that what made me laugh in my 20s isn't really all that funny to me nowadays.

So keep up with the jokes, no matter what people say. I just tell them that if I can get one good laugh out of cancer, it really is the very least I deserve.

Sent by Jordis | 7:48 AM | 8-28-2007

Yes Leroy. Laughing on the outside-crying om the inside - right? I've been doing that for most of my life, for more reasons than the cancer. I find that it is easier for me to "put on a Happy Face" than to wear my troubles on the outside. People really don't want to see gloomy faces.
You have a great sense of humor and the ability to see humor in all human situations. That is a gift! However this disease is not human.
Keep smiling, Leroy. We are smiling with you.

Sent by J C Rakowski | 7:51 AM | 8-28-2007

We need to laugh everyday. No matter how difficult or how strange it may seem to our family and friends. Everyday is platter of joy, tears and strength. Can't believe my optimism this mornng must have been the eclipse. Thanks for sharing your feelings, thoughts and strengths with us. With care, Anne

Sent by anne lumberger | 8:01 AM | 8-28-2007

The coffin/chemo joke IS funny!

And no it isn't an easy subject to joke about, but sometimes it's just the thing to do.

Sent by Vicky(NY) | 8:06 AM | 8-28-2007

Hi Leroy,

when I was first diagnosed I decided I would deal with my cancer with as much grace and sick humor as I possibly could. My favorite is" If one out of ten women are going to be diagnosed with breast cancer, aren't nine of my friends really relieved right about now?" I don't know, it helped take the edge off.

If u don't laugh, you cry. In fact a wonderful young woman named Miriam Engleberg wrote a great book called "Cancer made me a Shallower Person", a wonderful collection of cartoons about her breast cancer.She died about a year ago but the book really touched home with many and she had a great sense of humor. Check it out.

Take care,
Lianne

Sent by Lianne Friedman | 8:15 AM | 8-28-2007

Thanks for the jokes - we do need laughter. Want to hear the rest about the "two tumors that walk in the bar"! Had fitting for radiology mask yesterday and that was kind of scarey - they put this wet, warm thing on your face with your eyes closed, then after it sets it looks like a white hockey mask with lots of little holes in it - sort of Halloween kind of thing:) Hope that gives someone a smile! The things we have to go through to be healthy and beautiful.

Sent by Vicki (FL) | 8:24 AM | 8-28-2007

Humor is with us as we make this journey both in real life events that happen to us or just jokes in passing! Laughter is often in short supply so we should embrace humor along the way.

I often tell of one of my experiences just after my melanoma diagnosis and getting prepped for surgery. Had my plastic surgeon who was to remove the lesion and then repair with a skin graft. I was also having a sentinel node biopsy during the procedure so the plastic surgeon had contacted another surgeon who could do the sentinel node procedure. I am in the surgery prep area, strapped to a gurney, my face is marked up where the nodes "lit up" for the sentinel node biopsy and my IVs are already running. In walks the surgeon who is to do the sentinel node biopsy. I had not met the man. He looks at the marks on my face and their locations. His facial expression was not one of confidence! He turns to the plastic surgeon and says, "I can't do this surgery. I'm not trained to navigate the many facial nerves that are involved." The room went very quiet. Lots of stammering and stuttering by the docs!!!

The surgery was cancelled. I was unhooked from my IVs and sent home. We repeated this process 3 days later but we added a Ear, Nose and Throat surgeon to do surgery involving the facial nerves, the sentinel node surgeon did his work and the plastic surgeon closed the wound with a skin graft. All went well.

At the time, this was not funny at all to me. Afterwards and upon reflection, it became a rather humorous tale to be told! So much for the invincibility of our docs!!!

In our very serious world, let us take the humorous moments as they occur and the jokes to help lift our spirits if only for a moment.

Good blog as usual Leroy. Blessings and prayers.

Sent by Al Cato | 8:30 AM | 8-28-2007

Your joke reminded me of one I came up with during my late wife Cynthia's battle with colon cancer. Back in 2002, NMCC was going to use a new procedure - Radio Frequency Ablation - to deal with tumors found on her liver. RFA was described to us as applying a 'hot needle-probe' to the tumor to literally burn it out. Upon this news, I remarked that it was a good thing it would happen under general anaesthesia, as Cynthia got nauseous from the aroma of liver cooking....I remember she smiled, indulgently, at that.
Humor, even gallows humor, is a key component of being human. We must never forget that, I think....

Sent by William Hensel | 8:31 AM | 8-28-2007

Dear Leroy,
As Jimmy Buffet quoted:
"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane"

Thanks for the post............it started the day on a positive note.

Prayers to you and Laurie. Sasha

Sent by sasha | 8:43 AM | 8-28-2007

Hi Leroy

Just Google "cancer jokes" and you get many website which will make you laugh. Some of the jokes are pretty lame, but others are great. And some good pranks too, like the guy who after his first session of radiation secretly brings a glowstick into bed and holds it under the covers where it gives off an eerie green light, to the consternation of his wife! Check it out.

Wendy

Sent by wendy | 8:48 AM | 8-28-2007

Hi Leroy,

Jokes are good. It remined me of my sisters initial trip to the oncologist who would handle the chemotherapy and coordinate our lives about a year and half ago. One of the nurses we met told my obviously depressed sister she needed to laugh every day and with enthusiasm. Laughing helps to release good things into your body and helps to fight cancer. It is hard to be positive or find the joy that is still out there when you are fighting for your lives,yet it is important. I am now telling a friend recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, to stop being a crepe hanger and think positive, lose the pessimism. Much more easily said then done.

Thanks Leroy,

Sent by Sue Chap | 8:51 AM | 8-28-2007

Brilliant as always.

Kate

Sent by katet | 8:59 AM | 8-28-2007

Hi, Leroy.

I had a Whipple in 2002 for pancreatic cancer that involved not only the removal of my pancreas, but also my spleen, duodenum, gall bladder, some bile ducts and 3 of the 4 arteries that used to infuse my stomach. One of my good friends designed a t-shirt for me that says "Semi-Gutless Wonder" on it, which is not only literally true, but one I can wear with great pride...:->

Thanks for reminding us to look for the humorous and the absurd, even in Cancerland.

Sent by Erica | 9:15 AM | 8-28-2007

A sense of humor goes a long way towards getting through any tough situation. Combine that with a positive outlook and all but the very worst days will have some sunshine.

I laughed as often as I could during my treatment five years ago, and now we all try to keep my sister laughing when she can.

Thanks Leroy. And actually, the joke is funny!

Sent by Art Ritter | 9:22 AM | 8-28-2007

I have a picture of my wife pole dancing with her IV pole...
Now THAT is funny.
Her rectal cancer has also spawned about a hundred poop jokes. I love the reaction she gets from people when she cracks a joke about her circumstance.
What are you going to do? You can only cry so much.
I only hope that when my treatment is due, I can have my wife's sense of humor.
I'm looking forward to the new show "Crazy Sexy Cancer" - It's liberating to get cancer out of the closet and on to the stage and not as a tearjerker.
Hope you're feeling better!

Sent by Tim | 9:24 AM | 8-28-2007

What is Stage III Rectal cancer without humor? I could not have gotten through surgery, chemo, radiation, side effects, and continuing postcancer integrative wellness regimen without it!

Humor found its way from the first chemo--5 FU (Flurolorocil-spelling is off) and continues now, seven years later. I will not recount numerous incidents or jokes, however, I will tell you that when I went on to study Humor and Healing as part of a graduate program in Holistic Health Studies, my presentations left the others in tears from the dark humor and the pathos that accompany us in CancerLand.

Okay, one incident--first day of chemo--I didn't know that nurses come in to check names and the chemotherapy used.

Nurse One: "Deborah, FU."
Me: "okay"

Nurse Two: "Deborah, FU."
Me: "FU, too."

Nurse Three: "It's chemo time; I see you're going to get 5-FU."

Me: "I already got three of them."

Then the nurse explained the procedure, the chemo name and we chuckled. And as some may know, FU is an apt name for this toxic agent, which I later learned is plant based.

I will close with that Woody Allen line which I will screw up now. When his character his asked about anger, he says, "I internalize. I grow a tumor instead" of externally frothing.

Sent by Deborah J. | 9:40 AM | 8-28-2007

In the interest of self-promotion, I am rather proud of one of my blog posts. I hope it made some people laugh:

I currently have "no evidence of disease."

Thanks for reminding us that there can be humor in almost any circumstance.

Ruth

Sent by Ruth from Virginia | 9:41 AM | 8-28-2007

Dear Leroy,

It is important to laugh, if you can. I'm just amazed at the gamut of emotions I constantly feel. Sometimes scared to death, sometimes so brave I think with God's help, anything is possible,(deep down I ALWAYS know that, I just don't feel that way sometimes) sometimes so depressed I want to stay with my head under the covers, sometimes so angry I want to beat up some of the doctors who have jerked my mother around. I often wonder, though, is it the cancer issues I'm dealing with, or am I just bipolar with anger management issues?

Sent by Connie E. | 9:41 AM | 8-28-2007

I don???t have a joke per se, but there have been humorous moments. Like the first time I had been back to see my primary care doctor in his office. He and the other Doctors in his practice had been in to see me many times during my hospital stays, including one really bad Friday the 13th night in the Emergency room. But this was my first visit to the office.

So the assist is prepping me for me visit. She is checking my blood pressure and heart rate, which she writes down on my chart, and notices my blood pressure was lower then my last visit, over a year before. Then she asks me to get on the scale to check my weight, and goes to write it down on the chart. I wish I had a camera. The look on her face was pure shock, and then she gets a big smile and says ???Wow, you have lost a lot of weight, good for you, you look great. How did you do it????

Now, another person would have let her off the hook. She had never met me, so she didn???t know that I just had a year of heavy chemo. She was being sincere with her compliment. Another person would have just let it slide. Not me, of course. I assume there are people out there who would have said nothing.

So I told her it was the cancer diet. Looking stunned and confused, she asked me again. I told her, the Cancer Diet. She stammered for a bit, and I smirked, then I let her off the hook. It was mean, but I have a sick sense of humor. Good times, fun times, hope to never have them again times.

Sent by Brit | 9:49 AM | 8-28-2007

I don't exactly have a joke, but maybe something humorous to share. My father battled cancer for 5 years and recently passed about two weeks ago. That's not the funny part :) My dad went through many different types of chemo to try to get rid of some of his tumors. There really was only one chemo that he was on that made him lose his hair. Now- we used to always make fun of my dad's eyebrows cause they were massive!!! I remember going home the night his hair started to fall out and I shaved his head. He would tell us that he had hair falling off of his body that he did not even know he had....... But the kicker to the story is even with that potent chemo in his system - those darn eyebrows stayed the entire time! It was something we always were amazed by, but something to kind of keep us laughing and joking. My dad had an absolutely amazing sense of humor which is where I got mine from. Seeing him light hearted about such a serious thing helped us to cope and remain strong. I miss him so much.

Sent by April | 10:00 AM | 8-28-2007

Dear Leroy
I could not agree with you more on today's topic! On the eve on my husband's surgery to remove one of his kidneys his surgeon visited us & was decribing in way too much detail his plans for the 7+ hour surgery to remove the kidney & cancer meds that had spread. After the lenghty description we thanked him and requested that he go home and get a good night's sleep. He laughed and told us a sense of humor would be important in our journey through cancer world, boy was he right!
Another suggestion for some cancer humor online though there's a lot of questionable material is the google owned YouTube website www.youtube.com by subject, cancer. I think that Reader's Digest for many years has gotten it right in Laughter's the Best Medicine" which is always the first part of that magazine I turn to.
Enjoy & Thanks for sharing a laugh today!

Sent by CynS. | 10:06 AM | 8-28-2007

Yes! Laughter counts trebly when cancer is in the arena! Most of mine came from chance moments -- the person on the street stopping my bald self asking, "Are you an artist or are you religious?" and a person in our office building who asked my co-worker [re: my sudden baldness]: "Has Sarah gone weird?" When told "No -- she has cancer" he burst out with "Thank God! I thought she'd lost it!" Or the person who asked a friend my secret for being so tiny (this, during chemotherapy when I had to eat everything in sight not to disappear) and my friend said, "Cancer!" and the other person -- a radio host -- was completely at a loss. Norman Cousins in his earlier book said that during his own serious illness he calibrated the benefit of laughter down to a formula. Ten minutes of belly laughter bought him a specified (I forget) amount of pain-free time. It is such good medicine. I loved my friends who were unafraid of using black humor when I was sick -- I could relax with them. When faced with the need to buy a new used car, I was hung between a practical option and a dreamy one. My friend said, "You have cancer. You could die. But the car you love!" and negotiated the price down to where I could afford it. I did not die, and I loved the years in that car, and I keep his lesson with me now. He's the same friend who drew a target wiht points asssigned and put it in my trash can after he drove me home from chemo, saying, "If you're going to be a sickie, you can at least be a competitive sickie." And he is the one who refused to read his part in my memorial services saying, "If I don't memorize it, you can't die." So yes -- laughter and friends who can "go there" with you despite -- or even BECAUSE -- it is playing for such high stakes -- are precious allies.

Sent by Sarah | 10:07 AM | 8-28-2007

Humor is imperarive to surive. As a survivor of bilateral breast cancer with mastectomy and reconstruction, I often wear a tee shirt that says "Viva La Cha Cha`s ! It gets a good laugh every time I wear it.

Sent by Judy Kolbaba | 10:10 AM | 8-28-2007

Two tumors walk into a bar to have a drink.
One says to the other "AAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!", as he realizes the bartender in frying him with a flame thrower.
Wait. Sorry. That wasn't a joke. Just a fantasy.

I spend a lot of time on you tube looking for funny videos. I annoy my wife sometimes because I'm laughing too loud.

Sent by Scott Fertig | 10:24 AM | 8-28-2007

Thank you wonderful people for the healing laughter this morning! Thanks for starting it all, Leroy. I am curious about (and will watch) the cancer special on TLC tomorrow. I am a fan of puns and my chemo onc. always left himself wide open for them, we had some good laughs. He told me to keep laughing, it would keep the cancer away!! Or at least alleviate stress. Love and hope to all of you. from Sherri in Texas, BC dx 4-06

Sent by Sherri Eggleston | 10:54 AM | 8-28-2007

Leroy and Everyone,

Want to laugh out loud? Cry some too, but definitely laugh, everyone, go see "Talk To Me". Not about cancer, but about friendship, taking chances, laughter, tears; everything we deal with everyday: being honest, telling things like they actually are....it's a great movie.

I found it to be good medicine. So did my partner. If it's near you, go see it.

peace and encouragement,

Kim

Sent by Kim Blankenship | 11:03 AM | 8-28-2007

Ha ha, another great post Leroy...
When I was originally Dx'd, I made a lot of jokes about just amputating my neck & setting my head directly on my shoulders a la Frankenstein -- those first few months postsurgically when I could not turn my head it felt particularly apt! AAAARRRRRRRGGGHHHH!

Sent by Val | 11:05 AM | 8-28-2007

Dear Leroy: Laughter, hope, and love are the sustenance of daily life and are the life preservers we cling to in dark times. I still remember two weeks into my excursion into cancer world when the shock of my diagnosis still hadn't diminished, I had my all-day appointment at the Stanford Tumor Board. I remember thinking "Tumor Board? Tumor Board? That's the best name they can come up with?!?" All I could think of was the Milk Advisory Board and all of those great "got milk?" ads from over the years. I told my close friends that I was seriously thinking about walking in to the clinic wearing a "got cancer?" t-shirt. For some reason, that idea really made me laugh at a time in my life when I was simply terrified. And you know, it still makes me laugh today. Some friends were horrified when I joked about this. Others totally got it. My ability to keep laughing is inately tied to my ability to keep living ...

Sent by Peggy | 11:28 AM | 8-28-2007

I totally agree about humor. In the support group I attended, we laughed way more than we cried. It was so great to be with a group who could appreciate and create the dark humor that helped us keep going through all of the chaos, confusion and pain.

Sent by Maggie | 11:29 AM | 8-28-2007

Oh we loved that joke you shared today.Humor has always helped me and my husband through this all. Last Friday was my last day of radiation. Around the tattoo spot the rad tech,had drawn a circle to help locate the dot. To mark the last episode of radiation I took a box of markers and from that circle I drew our solar system. I wasn't sure about adding Pluto so I decided it was behind the sun. There was a jolly discussion on which ink blot was Uranus and then things started to get on the edge of "off color" so senior rad dude reined is all in. Thanks

Sent by susan | 11:31 AM | 8-28-2007

While I make fun of my situation whenever possible, joking with nurses about the money I'm saving on Waxing, actual formal jokes are more challenging. In my work I've spent time with Paramedics and Firemen, who deal with the stresses of their jobs with a lot of gallows humor. I think our need for laughter in the face of such devastating situations comes from the same need to laugh rather than be overwhelmed. It goes to the idea that we can control so little, only how we are able to respond to something.

Here's joke I remember from long before I was a cancer girl.

Guy sits down with his doctor. Doctor looks serious. Tells the patient, "I've got some bad news for you." Patient, "okay, I can handle it". Doc: "You've got cancer". The patient is stunned, doesn't know what to say. The Doc says, "And I'm sorry, you've got Alzheimer's". Patient takes a beat, and then sighs relief, "Well, at least I don't have cancer"! (Hoping no one was offended...and ideally a bit entertained).

Sent by Laura Buckley | 11:46 AM | 8-28-2007

I agree that humor and laughter are key components to the healing process and have tried hard to find the humor in cancer treatment and survival. I strongly recommend Miriam Engelberg's book "Cancer Made Me a Shallower Person" that Lianne mentions above.

In my own case, I have found that I can keep my oncologist and the staff at the treatment center amused by Photoshopping my PET and CT scans. I had my first PET scan last fall and requested copies of the images from the radiologist (BTW - this is a great deal - they will give me CDs with all my CT scans on a disk if I wait another 30 minutes, and let me pick up the disk with the PET images later in the day - hours of viewing entertainment! Check it out and see if your radiologists will do this for you). I got the PET images on Halloween, and as I looked at the glowing orange blotches that illustrated the collection of active tumors in my chest, I thought to myself "Holy Smokes! It looks like I swallowed a Jack'O Lantern". Then it occurred to me that with a little help from Photoshop, it could really look like a scary Halloween pumpkin. I "fixed" the image and sent it to my oncologist with a note indicating that I think I figured out what my problem was - A bright orange grinning Jack O'Lantern had taken over my chest cavity!. I've since done makeovers for other holidays - Christmas trees and menorahs in December, etc. They have come to expect my "doctored" images now with each holiday. If anyone has ideas on what to do for Labor Day, please post them.

A final note to those of you who are taking Erbitux and have that wonderful rash - we should try to get Imclone Systems to have promotional t-shirts printed up for us that say "I'm Erbitux Ugly - What's Your Excuse?". For as much as the stuff costs, a lousy t-shirt isn't too much to throw in, is it?

Sent by Bob Maimone | 11:49 AM | 8-28-2007

Leroy> How's this:

Two tumors walked into a bar. Forgetting to duck, they smashed open their foreheads and dis-integrated.

Some years ago I stopped watching the late evening news in favor of watching or reading something funny. There are plenty of other times and sources to access the ugliness in the World. Humor was a much more soothing way for me to fall asleep.

In line with today's topic, the first time George Carlin did a rape joke to demonstrate that there's nothing wherein we can't find something to laugh about, I spent a long time thinking...

I spent that same long time again the first time I heard a stand-up comedian discuss cancer as a part of his routine. Since then, I was pointed to Funky Winkerbean who did a series on breast cancer.

Gallows humor... better than no humor at all, say we!

Lianne> thanks for the book recommendation! Most of what we read these days is medical or otherwise cancer-educational...

Ruth> Great to read NED!

Thanks to you all for sharing your humorous tales! I think I'll bookmark this page for future reads.

Be well.

-dp

Sent by dp | 11:50 AM | 8-28-2007

some people have been uncomfortable when i show them my pin "cancer sucks",
i think its funny, and true...

Sent by Jenn | 12:03 PM | 8-28-2007

How about cancer music? The song "Cancer" by "My Chemical Romance" describes the pain so well.

Sent by Connie Karls | 12:08 PM | 8-28-2007

When my hair started growing back after my chemo for bresat cancer, it came in really really curly. People i didn't even know would stop me on the street, tousle my hair (now why would a stranger think it was OK to touch my head?! :-) and ask me where i got that great perm. If I was feeling particularly mischievous, I would say "oh, chemotherapy." Most of the time, folks would simply stare at me, probably thinking "omigod, that is so sick." But it made ME laugh!!
Cheers. Suzanne

Sent by Suzanne | 12:08 PM | 8-28-2007

Leroy - and all of you

Today's posts simply blew me away. I have not seen such collective courage in a long time. It's a new attitude: don't fight the beast - make fun of him! What a testament to human spirit!

Sent by Diana Kitch | 12:10 PM | 8-28-2007

I meant to add this to my previous post: when I was bald from chemo, someone gave me a book that I thought was hysterically funny; the title gives you the idea: "Chemotherapy gives new meaning to a bad hair day: A healing book" by Eileen Marin (Paperback - 1995)

Sent by Suzanne | 12:12 PM | 8-28-2007

I have had some funny moments in the doctor's office. One favorite is when I saw the radiation oncologist for the first time. He had done the breast exam, and we were back sitting down to talk. While answering one of my gazillion questions he made a statement that included, "in women with small breasts." I became indignant and asked, "Are you saying my breasts are small?" The nurse was cracking up, but the doctor had a look of horror on his face until I finally started to laugh.
One day I got in trouble in the chemo room. A guy came in, and we were talking. It turned out he was a former client from a DWI class of mine. Long story, but in that particular class I had really stuck my foot in my mouth by telling a class full of 20 men that I'd "blow every one of them if I had to." I was referring to making them give a mini-breath test if someone came back smelling like alcohol again and I couldn't figure out who it was, but it just came out wrong. Anyway, in the onc's office, the guy recognized me and was saying over and over very loudly, "You said you were gonna blow all of us!" We were laughing, and my onc passed by about that time and heard the exclamation about blowing someone. He stopped and said, "Now, we are glad you are able to talk and laugh, but we really should try to maintain some sort of decorum." That just got me going even worse. The guy started saying, "No, no, it was a DWI test." It all got sorted out later, but I enjoy telling the story still.
My husband and I are big Seinfeld fans, and there are always Seinfeld moments. When I finally gave up and got my head shaved, I called him and exclaimed, "She's bald Jerry." He knew exactly the episode - where George goes on a blind date...
Then there was the episode where one of Jerry's friends lied and said he had cancer.
Julia Sweeney (that's Pat of SNL) has a wonderful take on her cancer. This American Life has an entire show of her talking about it. It's funny. Also, I haven't read it yet, but I heard the Fran Drescher book, "Cancer Shmancer" is funny too.
Thanks Leroy and all, I needed a laugh.
Oh...we watched the movie "The Darwin Awards" the other night, and it was a hoot. The website is funny too. It's about dumb ways people accidentally kill themselves.

Sent by Scarlett | 12:15 PM | 8-28-2007

It's funny that Vicki (FL) wrote about her radiation mask fitting, because exactly 1 yr ago today I went through the same thing. Before the material dried, the tip of the nose was pulled away from the face - I guess for 'breathing room'. When I saw it later, I thought it looked just like a wicked witch - it just needed a big hairy mole on it! By Halloween tho, I had grown to hate that mask and everything it stood for. In order to 'get even', I used it for a candy bowl for trick-or-treaters! Who says nothing good ever comes out of evil? The mask now sits in my garage as a symbol of my overcoming Human Papilloma Virus induced cancer of the tonsil. Am I now a step-child in the cancer family since I have NED?

Thank you Leroy and friends. You have all helped me deal with cancer and depression the past 6 months. Laughter truly helps, as do some tears. Let's see if we all can find more of the former and less of the latter in our lives! Keep the jokes coming, please!

Sent by Dr. Lynn | 12:23 PM | 8-28-2007

I've already written this in one of the previous blogs; but think it's important to repeat because of today's topic. What got me through my ordeal with breast cancer and chemo was a friend who told me, "find the humor in it." It seemed so strange at the time -- I was still dealing with the news that I had the Big C. But there was humor in it -- I use the example of looking like a Chia Pet when my hair started coming back in; or negotiating a 50% discount with the mammogram lady;
looking at my lopsided bra and thinking "put a sock in it" takes on a whole new meaning. I've come to believe that "a laugh a day" is just as important as the proverbial apple. When
everything around us is so grim, it's good to find a giggle in there someplace.

Sent by Marilyn Trujillo | 12:28 PM | 8-28-2007

After all, humor rhymes with tumor! (That's a sick joke, no pun intended.)

Sent by Bob A. | 12:30 PM | 8-28-2007

Leroy,
What a terrific elixir you would have to share if you could somehow bottle all the prayers and positive thoughts that are sent to you each day via cyberspace. And no wonder. Your brilliant commentary is such a gift in so many ways.
I???m one of those who begin the day with your blog and my coffee. I???m also one of many who appreciates your shrewd and sensitive insights, your droll humor and your ability to put your experiences with this wicked disease into such stunning perspective. You have taught me about cancer, sure, but mostly about life.
You???ve also enlightened the students in my college journalism courses, where ???My Cancer??? is assigned reading. You are, I tell them, the quintessential journalist. You write (damn you can write), you tell stories, you report, and most importantly, you make a difference.
Thanks and blessings to you.

Sent by Holly Gilbert | 12:30 PM | 8-28-2007

I had a full leg amputation in July for a recurrent tumor. My sister-in-law "amputated" the left leg of a teddy bear and sent it to the hospital during my recovery. One of the residents noticed it during rounds one morning. He passed it around to the group. When it finally was handed to the attending surgeon, he smiled and said my sister-in-law did a great suture job. There were plenty of smiles all around.

Sent by debbie | 1:06 PM | 8-28-2007

On my refrigerator, I have this New Yorker cartoon:
A woman (the wife) and a doctor stand in front of an empty bed. The doctor says to the woman: "Good news, Mrs. Bryant???I think we got it all.??? I'm the only one in my family who thinks this is really funny. I'm the only one with cancer.

Sent by Michele | 1:12 PM | 8-28-2007

Hi Leroy
Man did you hit it on the head again today. Humour saves us from crying.When it came time to shave my head I invited my daughters and a very dear friend to the "event". My daughters took photos and posted them on a photo web site with the title "Shearing Mummy" because it felt like we were shearing sheep. I even had a chance to have a mohawk, something I have wanted to have for a quick minute, and my wish was granted. we have taken photos of all my family and close friends and yes even the dog, wearing my wig, which I name Lucille, and which I rarely wear. feel like a mop on my head and I like the bald look. I don't think I could get through all this treatment if it weren't for laughing and making fun of it all... again Thanks for sharing you insights I believe they help many of us articulate our experiences more effectively.
you are wonderful

Sent by Gillian Faulkner | 1:15 PM | 8-28-2007

Leroy,

It really takes one of "us" to get the joke and actually it is a very good joke!

I laughed, giggled and chuckled at so many things through treatment as just a way to get through one more day. I understand.

I fought with an insurance company over dental reconstruction after radiation as I will continue to do the rest of my life. They took out all of my rear teeth and now I sit in silence while teeth are eroding from the treatment. After many months of letters, arguing, phone calls, arguing, calling more, arguing, having doctors send letters, arguing and seeing "life-threatening" in so many doctors' letters, I was "escalated" to a supervising nurse. I was overjoyed until she told me that the only reconstruction that will be paid by Blue Cross Blue Shield is for breast reconstruction. She then had the audacity to tell me .."and that is only because the law makes us..."

After a lengthy pause, she asked if I was still there and I told her I was thinking real hard...if she promised to do both breasts and I had assurance from her it would help me eat food without pain, I was willing to try anything. She then hung up.

I belly-laughed until it hurt for days and shared it so many times...and I still laugh at it.

Ed

Sent by Ed Brown | 1:18 PM | 8-28-2007

Hey Leroy and everyone,
You got it, if I didn't have humor now I would die (ohhhhh, nevermind).
OK tagteam effort needed here. Someone can finish Leroy's tumor bar joke.

hmmm...let's try this--
Two tumors walk into a bar and order their poison. 'Give us a Navelbine & a Gemzar.'
Since tumors aren't of the chattypatty types, one tumor turns to the other and says, 'How bout those Mets?'

Someone who is creative & funny can finish this one off......:D Or, not--lol

Sent by lisa | 1:25 PM | 8-28-2007

My Dr friend (we've been girlfriends since Jr High) went to chemo with me one day - went into the bathroom and came out frustrated with her hair and almost asked a room full of b/c women "anyone have a ponytail holder".......she caught herself, told me and I told all my chemo buddies and we all had a good laugh............
We're all still living every day and we should all be laughing more.....at the things that scare us, make us angry and the truly funny things that life deals us......
I think we'd all be healthier and happier if we found as many things to truly laugh about as possible - before cancer we all took ourselves and our lives too seriously I'm sure (at least I did)...and this is one lesson from the journey we should have all learned......
So, Leroy, thanks for bringing up another pertinent subject - and to all whose jokes they shared...thanks for the laughs.........
Best to you all........

Sent by Ruth Chermok | 1:26 PM | 8-28-2007

I have also been known to refer to myself as a "one tit wonder."

Sent by Ruth from Virginia | 1:28 PM | 8-28-2007

Thanks, Leroy. I got a BIG laugh out of this. When I was bald from treatment I worked in an office where we dressed in costume for Halloween. I went as Mr. Clean, complete with white fuzzy eyebrows and white clothes. I think most people could not believe I did it! One woman came up to me the next day and wanted to know how I made my head look like that. That really made me laugh.
Charlotte in Temecula

Sent by Charlotte Kewish | 1:36 PM | 8-28-2007

Your blog today was great, keeping laughing thru this is one way to survive, it took me back to the 5 years I was my loves caretaker while he battled RCC with mets to lungs, etc. I myself have had melanoma surgery, and am now 5 years clean. Good luck, keep fighting and laughing as much as you can. You and all the others responding to you and your blog. Kathy Peacock

Sent by Kathy Peacock | 2:01 PM | 8-28-2007

At one point, one of the members of our breast cancer chatroom wanted to name us "The Young and the Breastless".

Sent by Nancy K. Clark | 2:31 PM | 8-28-2007

OK, I laughed despite myself. Also so true. I plan on eventually being cremated (though also plan to be around quite a while) so they definitely can't try "one last treatment" on me.

Sent by Marcia Greer | 2:48 PM | 8-28-2007

A tumor walks into a bar.

Sits down and looks down the bar. At the next stool is a tumor sliced to shreds. At the next stool is one with flames coming out of his ears, The next one is encased in a huge glob of glue.

In the corner is a chemo biker with a tattoo that says ???born to drip???.

Bartender shows up, ???what???ll ya have???? He looks at the sign behind the bar??? ???Leroy???s Place ??? Drink at your own risk.???

Tumor says ???Sorry, I???m otta here.???

Okay, not a funny punch line but a wishful one.

Sent by Steve | 2:56 PM | 8-28-2007

Thanks everyone- and Sarah- your friend is a jewel.

Sent by Linda H. | 2:57 PM | 8-28-2007

Leroy,

Perfect topic! I'm a high school teacher and a stage IV cancer patient. I'm bald so I wear scarves or bandannas. One day a student was goofing off and I asked him if he was trying to push my buttons and make me pull my hair out. He didn't think it was funny, but the rest of my class and I laughed. It's healthy to laugh at ourselves sometimes. Laughter truly is terrific medicine!

Sent by Norma | 3:04 PM | 8-28-2007

Having once been an obituary writer, this one caught my eye. I still have to laugh at/with it after my colon cancer diagnosis in March.

Sent by Patrick | 3:36 PM | 8-28-2007

After I read some of these jokes to my coworker, she suggested some of you ladies who've had radiation treatments get tshirts made that say "Dontcha wish your girlfriend was hot like me?"

Sent by Jody | 3:49 PM | 8-28-2007

When my son, a teenager, was going through chemotherapy and had just barely enough energy to watch TV, we got hooked on Scrubs. It lacks decorum but it could make us both laugh until it hurt, on good days and bad. The episodes that dealt with cancer tended to be as outrageous as those on other diseases and felt "right" to us. Not corny, not maudlin.
His cancer killed him in December and I miss him a lot. Humor helps. Thanks, Lisa, for making me laugh outloud at "How about those Mets?"

Sent by Viveca | 4:16 PM | 8-28-2007

For Bob A

Alas, I've contracted a tumor
I'm going to combat it with humor
So when I crack up
like a wiggly pup
You'll know my demise is a rumor.

Sent by Diana Kitch | 5:09 PM | 8-28-2007

Leroy, I have been away for a few days, so I just got caught up. I had a no growth and no spread report form the Doc the other day. Felt like celebating for a few seconds, but he quickly added " you know this Chemo will stop working at some point", but we do have other options. I don't know how to react to that statement, sure I'm glad I have options, better than the alternative, but how much does cancer want? It wants it all, it wants to win, it wants to kill you. I like the qoute from the Al Pacino movie," Say hello to my little friend". If we only could use a gun against it. Stan

Sent by Stan Wozniak | 5:10 PM | 8-28-2007

Written across the chest of a t-shirt "Yes they are fake, the real ones tried to kill me." or "One more MRI and Ill stick to the fridge." and my personal motto "Chemo-girl. Like a super hero, but less hair."

Take good care,
Issa

Sent by Issa | 5:23 PM | 8-28-2007

Christine Clifford has written a couple of books of cancer humor -- the first is "Not Now I'm Having A No Hair Day." It's inspired.

Sent by Jane | 5:46 PM | 8-28-2007

Leroy, loved the joke, it is too true. I worked out in the gym, as a bald lady, wearing my "Spamalot" t-shirt that said "Not dead yet". No one ever laugh or commented on it until I had my hair back. People are afraid of saying the wrong thing, when we are trying to have a sense of humor about this thing called Cancer.

Sent by Rita | 5:52 PM | 8-28-2007

I was going up in the elevator at Sloan-Kettering for an appointment. As we were passing the third floor a passenger called out: "Is this the fifth floor?'' Another replied: "No, you have two more." I muttered: "You got that right." I thought it amusing, but no on laughed.

Sent by Bob A. | 6:14 PM | 8-28-2007

Shortly after I was diagnosed, my husband and I were walking through our neighborhood and came to a house we had considered buying, but opted against. He said he could not remember why we had not chosen that house. I said, "I do - remember, it has power lines over the back yard. Sure is a good thing we didn't buy that one - you know they say living under power lines causes cancer!" I laughed hysterically, but my husband just didn't get it!!

Sent by Nancy Nelson | 6:17 PM | 8-28-2007

I remember reading an hysterical piece in The New Yorker about cancer and humor. I will try to dig it up. And thanks, Patrick, for the piece from The Onion. I printed that off years ago and it never ceases to crack me up.

Here is a real story that makes me laugh everytime I think about it. This guy I know was diagnosed with cancer and was about to start chemo. He and his friends had a big party and they all shaved their heads in solidarity for their friend. The next day, the guy starts his treatment and the doctor said, "Why did you shave your head? This chemo doesn't cause hair loss."

Sent by Robin | 6:24 PM | 8-28-2007

After my diagnosis of anaplastic astrocytoma my cousin gave me a small plastic toy scarecrow from Wizard of Oz... "If I Only Had a Brain".

I wouldn't have made it this far without humor.

Sent by Ariella in NH | 6:28 PM | 8-28-2007

Leroy, and all,
I am allways amazed at all of you and the ability to go forward as you do. I feel very special to know all of you if even just through this blog. Today am struggling with scan results from yesterdays Dr. visit, but can't help feel lightened by all of your comments today. I learn from you all everday. Dorothy

Sent by dorothy | 6:35 PM | 8-28-2007

It amazes me how folks pick up and run with each statement you make. Are they really thinking or do the words just trigger reactions and comments?
An interesting study in human nature.
Hopefully Leroy, you are not in too much pain. Can't tell. Have a good night my friend.

Sent by JCR | 7:38 PM | 8-28-2007

Thanks for sharing your "morbid humor:" sometimes people consider my 'dark' comments about myself sick.

I recently had a bilateral mastectomy and had several humorous incidents. The first was on the day of the mastectomy, but I learned of it when my surgeon arrived early the next morning to apologize and explain why he had not come to see me after the surgery. He went to the room I was supposed to be in. I wasn't there, so he asked the assigned nurse where I was. She explained I was still in surgery. (My roomm had been changed.)

Later I went to an oncologist in another city for my first visit. After she had asked me all the basic questions, I told her that I had a hematoma because a stranger had plowed into me as we were trying ti negociate a crowded sidewalk. The oncologist said, "Oh, I was wondering why you had had reconstruction on only one side.

And, finally my favorite, my complaint to a nurse at my internist's office, "Noone warned me they could grow back.

Not really hillarious, but it keeps me from crying about the things I can not change.

Sent by Earlene | 8:07 PM | 8-28-2007

Leroy: Burge got lots of miles out of the "but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night" line. He had had so many exams for his colon cancer he joked that he was left lying on the table when another man walked in and snaped on a glove. He turned to the guy and asked "which Dr. are you?" to which the guy answers, OH! I'm not a Dr, but...

I not sure everyone wanted to laugh out loud, but we did get lots of smiles. I'm also sure that a few even thought we were in bad taste, but almost every nurse or doctor we came in contact with remembers Burge in a very nice way. Perhaps a little joking allows the staff to be human as long as the patient is making the jokes.

Oh how I miss him today!

Nikki

Sent by Nikki | 9:17 PM | 8-28-2007

I don't know of any cancer jokes, and I have never heard of any - but I have had some pretty funny cancer experiences.

My first week wearing a wig as a newbie, I didn't know that unlike real hair, you can't always feel what is happening up there on your head. The funniest moment being my trip to a country vet with my large dog. We were waiting for our turn outside. Suddenly a formerly friendly tree got into an all out wrestling match with me over my hair. My fiance was immobilized with horror, not knowing what to do, as I in greater horror refused to let the world see my hair go flipping up through the air with the very strong branch that grabbed it. After quite a struggle for several minutes, I won! I laughed for a long time. I can't imagine what anyone watching might have thought.

Sent by Lilly T. | 9:47 PM | 8-28-2007

Leroy,
I'm amazed that this is your first cancer joke! Humor was a survival necessity for me both times I had cancer. The first day I had to wear a wig to work, I was so distracted by the strange site in my car mirror that I had a minor fender bender. The woman I hit was very put out. I joked with my family that I should have pulled my wig off and thrown it to the ground and yelled 'You think YOU are having a bad day'. That became a joke in our family. If someone had lost perspective, someone would make a motion as if throwing a wig to the ground and yell that, and we would all burst out laughing.

To make things more approachable and "okay" for friends, I used to post colon cancer jokes on my old blog. The internet site I found them on was called "colorectal-cancer.net", but it seems to be gone now. Some of my favorite jokes were jokes about colonoscopies - funny things to say to your doctor, such as:
"You put your left hand in, you take your left hand out. You do the Hokey Pokey...."
"You used to be an executive at Enron, didn't you?"
"Hey, Doc, let me know if you find my dignity."

My Dad now has lung cancer. I sent him a hat that says "Cancer Sucks", and a t-shirt that says "I have Chemobrain, what's your excuse?". He gets lots of laughs when he goes to the doctor with those on! You can find these clothes at:
www.choosehope.com, or a different style at cancersucks.com.

Sent by Kelley E | 9:48 PM | 8-28-2007

Dear Leroy,
Great joke !!Thanks! About humor: when i go on a new chemo i go bald so my brother shaves his head (4 times), my husbad teases me by saying,upon retiring, "good night John Boy..." (my bro's name is Johnand we look alike when i am bald!!!).We laugh about it,and my bro is happy to share our humor,too.It's silly things like that that get all of us through our personal war.I had my scans today and there was no change!!!Good news, for me! Yeay! I wish you and ALL of your readers the same good news! Take care dee

Sent by dee | 10:17 PM | 8-28-2007

Laughter helps us cope and is an integral part of some of our fondest memories.

Found the following website as a source of humor encouragement:

Here is one that caused some giggles:

A man goes to the doctor and discovers that he has cancer and only has 24 hours to live. He tells his wife the bad news, and they do the best they can to cope.

That evening, his wife says, "Well, honey, you've got 12 hours left, what would you like to do? He says, "I want to make love." So they go upstairs and make passionate love the way they did when they first got married.

A couple hours later, she again asks, "Well, honey, you've got 10 hours to live. What would you like to do?" Once more he says, "I want to make love." So they take their clothes off and make love right there on the living room floor.

She later asks a third time, "Well honey, you've got 8 hours left. What would you like to do?" And again he says, "I want to make love one more time." And she says, "Well, that's easy for you to say, you don't have to get up in the morning!"

**take a look at the website and read about the telling of that joke in a cancer support group**

Sent by Ned Toknow | 10:54 PM | 8-28-2007

I appreciated your blog today about cancer and laughter. I had (have - which is the better word?) cancer and - so far it has left me alone. My husband and I try to find some way to live with pain and illness and laughter is needed. One day before an aopointment He suggested I wear pasties!

Odd things happen - in todaY's paper there is a review for a movie on TLC shown Wednesday called "Crazy Sexy Cancer." The headline is "Film attacks canceer with heavy dose of humor."

I wish you well and don't feel guilty about laughing.

Jeanne McCoy

Sent by Jeanne McCoy | 10:58 PM | 8-28-2007

My teen-age daughter called me "monoboob" after my mastectomy. Some people were a little taken aback by her humor, but I loved it. Her irreverent view of my cancer definitely helped me through it all.

Sent by Gretchen Hoag | 11:17 PM | 8-28-2007

being a treasure hunter extrodinare and knowing another of equal or higher quality(garage saliors) We both started having rare cancer conditions that effected our eyes. John his right I my left. He had the good humor in the midst of our crazy treatments to leave a message on the answering machine saying we would be quite a team going together on our hunts. Unfortunatley he getting all the good deals know. in the great beyond, and Iam just a one eye puruser!

Sent by Sarah in Dewitt | 11:20 PM | 8-28-2007

Best one yet Leroy. Been reading for seven months. Stage 4 lung cancer. Never smoked. Maybe too many bean sprouts,too much hiking, not enough alcohol....who knows. I try and laugh everyday. This is the first post that makes me feel part of something. I want people to live out loud and laugh with. Dying is a lonely path.

Sent by Joan in Seattle | 12:37 AM | 8-29-2007

Hi, I just now read your joke..I think I need that..I had chemo today; and I am having problems with the nursing home where my mom is at...And I am feeling really low..
However, I have always said that I do not like my chemo "cocktail" , would rather have you know a martini or whatever...
So yes I need these kind of jokes, because I'm not curable...have been treatable, don't know for how long...colon cancer in my lung and liver...don't have to say much else.

Sent by Elsie Susie Hager | 12:59 AM | 8-29-2007

I heard your story today and it was so refreshing to finally hear someone talk about their cancer on the radio. I missed all the other comments you made - maybe it wasn't time for me to hear them until today. I also have cancer - ovarian cancer and am going into my 6th year of survival - I don't feel sick, but I know it is lurking there in the background - I had 3 seven hour operations in the past five years and two comlete rounds of chemo. After my 3rd operation, I decided that chemo doesn't necessarily kill the cancer as much as it destroys good cells - so now I'm working with a nutritionist/M.D. who is helping me immensly. I've never felt better - although I'm still frightened.
Thank you so much for your stories - I'm reading all of them now - it is so encouraging to hear them. Makes me feel less lonely in this journey.
Sincerly,
Gail F Fahy

Sent by Gail F Fahy | 8:41 AM | 8-29-2007

I was diagnosed with colon cancer 7/23/07. I don't want to be defined by this disease and I do want to laugh. I guess I just will have to stop being so anal about it (well it makes me smile!)

Sent by Helen Pickup | 10:43 AM | 8-29-2007

I've heard Leroy periodically on NPR over the past year, but only starting reading the blog after we found out my dad's colon cancer had returned after 3 1/2 years as Stage 3. He's now recovering from surgery and this round has been a little tougher than the first surgery. While consuming his clear liquids on the 4th day post-op, we were discussing the wait for him to "pass gas", so he would finally be able to start eating solid food again. I told him I was going to have a t-shirt made for him: FART = FOOD. The medical staff loved it. He starts FOLFOX chemo & radiation in a couple of weeks. We're going to need the laughter. I'm glad to have found this amazing community to turn to.

Sent by Kathy N. | 11:32 AM | 8-29-2007

This caught my eye after reading this blog entry... maybe it will be good and will give those with cancer and those who travel with them, new ways to think and live with cancer.

Wednesday, 8/29/07 on TLC there is a show Crazy, Sexy, Cancer. It is described as being defiant and thought-provoking, as it documents one woman's experience as both filmmaker and patient as she refuses to accept the status quo in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds.

Said Carr, "People often ask me why I named the film Crazy Sexy Cancer. The answer is simple: to challenge the perceptions, to poke fun and bring humanity to a disease that is still so misperceived and feared. No matter what happened, I refused to be saddled with the isolating stigma associated with cancer. Just because it had changed my life forever, didn't mean that I had changed."

Let's hope it is good.

Sent by Leslie | 12:19 PM | 8-29-2007

The best book I read during my treatment for breast cancer 5 years ago was a poignant but hilarious account of one survivor's journey through two bouts with lymphoma. Joni Rodgers kept me laughing (a lot) through her book "Bald in the Land of Big Hair". Laughter was such a respite for me during that really tough time. I hope you hear many more jokes and get to laugh a whole bunch more.

Sent by Cathie Jowers | 2:12 AM | 8-30-2007

My former boss who passed away from colon cancer in 1995 made a brief return to work after his initial rounds of chemo and radiation once joked about his cancer with a clearly uncomfortable colleage.

He said that colon cancer allows him to sleep in a little longer in the morning because everybody else has to "sh_t, shower, shave and shine", he only had to shower, shave, and shine. The colleague didn't laugh, most people didn't but my boss told the joke with mirth and a twinkle in his eye, and, I think he kind of enjoyed watching peoples' varied reaction to the joke. He never lost his sense of humor; right to the very end he tried to make people laugh

Sent by Dean Barnett | 1:05 PM | 8-30-2007

Hi Leroy,
I haven't read your blog in months....interesting that I go straight to this humor article first-I think someone else said it -You're brilliant!! I have been doing this wonderful physical therapy and it's releasing all my emotions. I think crying feels like the best thing I can do for my body...but sometimes I feel like I have dry tears...so I think I don't laugh enough. I'm definately happy but I don't get enough of that RAW laughter...the last time I was caught off guard at a movie theater and laughed so hard I was coughing and I thought later-That's some powerful stuff-healing stuff I think. Laughter like tears releases all the toxins and changes the chemistry creating endorphines(steriods?) and all that.
I think that MAYBE only us cancer folks(and close by folks) can get away with cancer jokes (I didn't know there were any) and then depending on our mood it could be iffy...anyway I can think of touchier subjects when we were kids that I wouldn't mention now. The point is a joke is a joke. We all know cancer is real and not a joke...so a joke is a joke...I mean all those Farside characters-they are not real are they???? It's about laughing at ourselves like when we trip over our feet. We didn't cause this...so what are we going to do?... If I didn't joke about my big fat greek wedding family-I'd really be depressed.

So is there a punchline for the end of your joke? I thought of one--Two tumors walk into a bar surprised to run into their Auntie and she says to them "OH MY-how you've grown!" Okay-now that I've got that out of my system-it doesn't seem so funny. Thanks for the opportunity though. Borat doesn't have any competition at least.

Lots of love and prayers of hope,
Linda