An Ordeal of Inconvenience

How many more days?

How many days until I feel like myself again? I could stop and figure it out probably, but I don't think I need to.

It's not the pain I feel each day. I've found ways to deal with that. It's more the inconvenience. The fact that each day is an ordeal in its own way.

Cleaning up? Complicated. Messy.

Keeping track of the drains that remove the fluid from my back — you want to make sure one of the tubes doesn't catch on something by accident.

Then there's the antibiotics pump around my neck. You need to make sure the line isn't tangled.

All these things sound pretty minor ... and they are.

In a few weeks, I won't have to worry about any of these things. But right now I do.

Each day I get closer to my old life. When I'm finally there I think I'm going to be amazed at how "easy" everything is.

Comments

Yay Leroy. I feel your spirit growing stronger this morning. Thank you! That will help me get through my day. No, I don't have cancer and my inconveniences are not life threatening but they are real to me. You continue to inspire me and give me perspective. This morning I hear more of your incredible ability to roll with the punches that cancer had dealt you. I am so glad that you can begin to see the end to the antibiotics pump etc. Your presence and your thoughts are so important to so many of us who are out here dealing with our own stuff. I feel better when you do, when you share your resiliency. Go figure.
I hope your day goes smoothly and has many bright spots. We will all be thinking of you. Judy

Sent by Judy | 7:29 AM | 11-1-2007

It's funny just before reading your post I was thinking of how far I've come from 4 months ago when I felt as if I'd never feel good again. There is very little I don't appreciate these days. Remember "it came to pass it didn't come to stay". Stay strong. Peace and love Becca

Sent by Rebecca Hawkins | 7:33 AM | 11-1-2007

I've been reading your blog for a long time. My husband was diagnosed with terminal cancer in June of '05. He was not given long to live but he's still going strong. (Knock on wood.)

While he doesn't blog, we do maintain a web site to keep others current with what's going on. People he doesn't know all that well will occasionally leave comments on the site. While my husband appreciates anybody taking the time to leave a message, he does find it a little odd to hear fairly personal comments from near-strangers.

I've been wondering how you feel about the people leaving comments on your blog. On the one hand, it must be deeply comforting to know that virtual strangers could be so interested in your situation. On the other hand, don't you feel a little bit like the Brad Pitt of cancer? (In the sense that they only care because you're relatively "famous".) Frankly, it looks like a lot of the same people are writing day in and day out. Doesn't that creep you out a little bit? I often get the impression that some of those folks might be better off taking the energy and emotion that they invest in you and putting it back into the real people in their own lives.

Sent by Elizabeth | 7:54 AM | 11-1-2007

Isn't this world of plastic tubes amazing? What did we do without them? Were they made of rubber or maybe we didn't even have the pumps and know-how.
I remember my Mom through the last ten years of her life, was tethered to an oxogen tank with tubes that went all over her home with her. She got so consumed with the narrow tubes leading to her nose that she panicked at the thought that they were clogged. We all became quite professional about cleaning them and changing tubes and connections in order to give her peace of mind,& air to breathe.
A strange, new, world Leroy that you have entered. At least it is only temporary and you can count every day as a victory over the "tubes". Right now, they are helping you get well.
Sounds like progress to me!

Sent by J C R | 8:11 AM | 11-1-2007

YOU ARE SO RIGHT ABOUT HALLOWEEN - MISS THE WAY WE DID IT WHEN I WAS A KID. We had no kids - even in our small village of saranac lake, new york the kids go trick or treating in town to the merchants - it was fun going to our neighbors and having them figure out who we were.

take care - please take care and stay upbeat. You are such a terrific role model of how this is going and how you deal with it.

G-d bless you.

Jan

Sent by janice goldber white | 8:12 AM | 11-1-2007

Leroy:
No future, no past,
Just the present.
For now, just Be.
Love, Don

Sent by Don Winslow | 8:38 AM | 11-1-2007

Dear Leroy, You are already getting adjusted to the difficulties you need to endure and it does get easier. Just when you get your routine down you won't need those things anymore. How ironic is that! Glad you are not in pain as that makes a big difference. Thanks for writing. God Bless and provide you with quick healing.

Sent by Vicki (FL) | 9:00 AM | 11-1-2007

Hi Leroy, Laurie, Maeve and all at NPR and in cancer world,

You can't know how much I sympathize. I'm several weeks ahead of you onthe path to pre-hospital selfhood. But I can clearly remember the"triumph of the small" and ordinarily insignificant that monpolized my recent hospital and nursing home stays. There are constant reminders here at home such as the care with which I have to negotiate sairs and such complex acts as putting on and taking off my pants. If I fall I expect to be immediately demoted to a higher level of oversolilicitous fussing and unnecessary (in my view) worry. So, Leroy, take care of yourself - and your tubes and devices and get free of them ASAP.

Thanks for your courage and strength in keeping us all as partners on your journey. It surely helps us on ours

Vaya con Dios

john Shippee
Atlanta,GA

Sent by John Shippee | 9:00 AM | 11-1-2007

Instead of how many days, just imagine THE day when you don't have to do it. Marathon, mountain climbing, long distance swim....it's all pacing yourself. You are doing a GREAT job, Leroy!!!!!!!! We are all in your living room (well, you know what I mean), hanging out with you and cheering you on....

Sent by Becky | 9:14 AM | 11-1-2007

Well Leroy, Godspeed back to your old life. The paraphanailia of getting there is a pain in the butt, however, without them, you wouldn't get there, so I guess that it evens out. What has been the best thing about being home for you?

Sent by Nancy K. Clark | 9:16 AM | 11-1-2007

One step at a time Leroy.
You are SOOOO loved!
Gentle hugs & sweet rest to you.

Sent by bethann | 9:31 AM | 11-1-2007

Ah, the memories your words evoke... How I hated coming home attached to a chest drain AND with oxygen required to keep my newly halved right lung inflated with "good air"...literally dragging hoses and lines, made life seem like a drag.

Then, almost without noticing, the lines and drains went away and took most pain with them and life began to take on a new shape. I can't say I resumed my life, it IS forever altered and oddly enriched by my peek at death.

Be patient, Mr. Patient, you will soon be rid of those fetters and be back to enjoying a morning coffee and the task of forgetting most of the past month of your life.

Peggy

Sent by Peggy Miles | 9:38 AM | 11-1-2007

Leroy, you have my sympathies and my empathies. My docs told me not to let my pain go about 3-4 on a scale of 10. Lying in bed last night, I was thinking it was about 2-3 and then I realized -- most of my pain was really the discomfort of the bandaging and padding around my wounds, not the wound itself. That's the state of it, it's what's making us well that hurts, not the cancer. I've not felt pain from my cancer, at least not yet. Thanks for this forum and speed forward toward wellness.

Sent by Dianne (DC) | 9:44 AM | 11-1-2007

I know what a pain all of this is for you, Leroy. I wish you didn't have to go through this. But selfishly, I have to admit how glad I am that you are still here with us even if it means you have to deal with all the inconvienence.

When I see you bounce back it makes it easier for me to bounce back. You are a real light in my life, and you don't even know me. What an amazing and wonderful gift that is.

Sent by Laurel M. Jones | 9:55 AM | 11-1-2007

Feeding tubes, calorie counts, sleepless nights, pain meds, and my fiance is getting his strength back because of it! Its the past and I keep looking forward to the future. Thanks for the inspiration and the strength to keep moving forward a day at a time. God's Peace!

Sent by Laurie Hirth | 10:10 AM | 11-1-2007

My wife, Ema and I are waiting for her life to return to normal, but we know it will be a while. Physical therapy will help her be able to walk better, but radiation treatment will probably hamper that progress as well. Thanks Leroy for inspiring both my wife and I to persevere. We keep our cancer recovery journal on our blog - www.theunrealocblog.com

Sent by Tom | 10:13 AM | 11-1-2007

Leroy,
I can feel your pain. I can certainly remember going thru this myself. Every day a bit of you will return. In the meantime, remember that this is the healing process and you will get through this. Have a better day~

Warm hugs your way~

Sent by Robin T | 10:18 AM | 11-1-2007

Yikes, Elizabeth, that was a little judgmental of those of us who post "regularly" (I am not a daily poster but I'd say I do read and post regularly). I assure you I have plenty of energy and emotion for my "real life" while still giving some to Leroy. Perhaps the negative energy and emotion you invested in that comment might better be spent on something in YOUR real life where you actually know something about the history of the person you judge (like maybe yourself).

Leroy, I have been living with inconveniences that I hope one day will end but may not in my case. The good news for you is yours will be. And I'm glad you are controlling the pain - I really hope that gets better soon.

Sent by N.R. | 10:23 AM | 11-1-2007

Yes, you will appreciate how easy things can be once all these tubes are gone. I remember when I had that damn 24/7 chemo pump on and the feeding tube. Everything was a problem, showering, sleeping etc. What a blessing to get rid of them and move freely again. It's only a matter of time, hang in there.

Sent by Ruth White | 10:24 AM | 11-1-2007

Oy, I remember the joy of navigation with 6 drainage tubes and an IV. I needed 4 more hands just to get to the bathroom! I had to be content with sitting on a shower stool and letting my mother wash my hair. That took us both back 40+ years. At least you're feeling well enough to complain about these things.

I would be interested in reading a response to Elizabeth's comment above.

How do you feel about all us "strangers" who read and comment on your personal life on a regular basis? It's an odd relationship we have. Most of us have never met but feel connected all the same. What do you think of this little community you've created?

Sent by Karole Ives, Duluth MN | 10:26 AM | 11-1-2007

Elizabeth:
Just think of this site, and the comments, as a virtual support group. We share our troubles and our successes with others who have Cancer. We listen to Leroy and he listens to us. It really, really, works!
Love, Don

Sent by Don Winslow | 10:33 AM | 11-1-2007

Dear Leroy,
Easy????? Not quite!! YOU will make it sound easy...because YOU are YOU and a fighter and YOU have THE more important goal in mind and heart!! Keep going ,dear one!! xox dee

Sent by dee | 10:33 AM | 11-1-2007

Good Morning Leroy,
Good to see you out and about on this fine November morning. Hope your day goes wonderful and lets start making plans for all the goodies on Thanksgiving....:) Take care

Sent by Teresa in WV | 10:37 AM | 11-1-2007

That sure sounds like a pain in the ass.

Enjoy what you possible can now and enjoy even more when the tubes are gone. I pray it happens quickly for you...though I doubt it will be quick enough for ya cause I know it wouldn't be for me.

Hugs,

Lori

Sent by Lori Levin | 10:41 AM | 11-1-2007

Best wishes from Iceland.
I have a five year old girl who is a fighter. (bad brain-cancher)

Sent by ??slaug ??sk Hinriksd??ttir | 11:12 AM | 11-1-2007

Leroy, The road back is long and difficult, with many inconvienences along the way, but the rewards are great. Hang in there. Stan

Sent by Stan Wozniak | 11:31 AM | 11-1-2007

Leroy,

I wonder if we can ever really "go back" to an old life - any old life? My belief is that we can't. We are always moving forward in time. For you I wish that today and the future will find you getting better and feeling well.

Sent by Diana Kitch | 11:40 AM | 11-1-2007

Leroy, I don't want to be the dream smasher here, but I fear you might be setting yourself up a bit.

Yes you will get free of the entanglements of all of these tubes and wires. So in that aspect things will be "normal."

But you have to remember, "Normal" left this party quite some time ago. And will not be coming back this way.

Normal has left the building.

There will be a new normal. A different, perhaps more relaxed normal. But it is not going to be the old normal you know and love. So please don't be so hard on yourself should things magically not go back to the way they had been before the surgery. That is not being realistic.

Good Luck with the healing.

Sent by Brit | 11:57 AM | 11-1-2007

Lung cancer!!!!! Diagnosed in Jan. Lots of Docs. Feel rotten. Sick, ache, diarea, Tired etc. Now its Nov. It was worth it so far. the meds seem to be working. Feeling wuch better. A way to go but now there is hope and maybe a nice future. For the newbes HANG IN THERE LIKE Leroy!!!!!!

Sent by Ed Graf | 12:05 PM | 11-1-2007

Yes Elizabeth, this is what compassion, empathy, & love are all about. Read and learn.
Leroy is not famous or a "Brad Pitt", Lord forbid. We have all come together from mutual experiences with one of life's most dreaded diseases. A huge circle of caring friends. Isn't that wonderful? And our Leroy and those who love and live with him are sharing him with us. We are NOT strangers. Don't think that Leroy ever met a stranger.

Sent by J C R | 12:23 PM | 11-1-2007

I went back a few days to catch up. I do not know if cyber strenth works but we have come to care for each other on this blog. In such times of alone-ness (dealing with a terminal illness) we are really not alone. You will never be the same but you will be good.
As for your walker. I husband had two canes to help him get around -- one at work and one for the car/home. He decorated them with product stickers from his favorite mountain bike shops -- he was a top rider and athlete. Everyone at work checked to see what was new on his cane every day. He was one of a kind.
So spice up your walker's appearance or those drains, put one foot in front of the other and thumb your nose at this disease. As Michael used to say, "Cancer may get me, but I'm going to make it work!"
LiveStrong, dear man and your family and friends too.

Sent by Deborah of Asheville | 12:33 PM | 11-1-2007

To N.R. I couldn't have said it any better! This "energy' that Elizabeth is so worried about if called compasssion.

Sent by Brenda Y. Lynch | 12:54 PM | 11-1-2007

Dear Leroy,

Every day ... that much closer to the day of no drains, no iv's, .... it will come, and you'll celebrate your independence!! :-) (been there, done that, and am happy everytime to get disconnected from all the tubes!) Wish I knew a good joke to tell you. Take all the distractions you can find. Get lots of rest. Heal!

Cheers and moving right along,

Kim

Sent by Kim Blankenship | 1:19 PM | 11-1-2007

Dear Leroy,

It sounds like you'r rounding second and heading for third base already! At this rate you should be heading for home plate before two weeks!

The very best to you and Laurie. I'm so happy for you.

Sent by sasha | 1:42 PM | 11-1-2007

Elizabeth, ouch! I am going to be compassionate instead of hurt, but still, ouch just the same. I am so happy your husband is doing so well! Has he had a chance to weigh in the blogging? It might really help him.. If I wasn't going through my own cancer experience, I might feel as you do. I do not know...I hope all continues to go well.

Sent by Becky | 1:59 PM | 11-1-2007

To Elizabeth.............Instead of placing judgement about our blog, try making yourself more familiar with what we discuss. Consider it a privilege to be able to be part of our community if you choose.

And ........YES, Leroy is our Brad Pitt.

Sent by sasha | 2:10 PM | 11-1-2007

Over here in Germany I saw the father of a seven year old boy who was hospitalized the same time as my husband. The father was so happy. His son had an operation for his cancer of the esophagus and now he no longer gasps for air - may be cancer free. Poor kid spent two months in hospital for this operation though. Was diagnosed at around age five I think.

Cancer aint easy on anybody.

Glad your on the good side of your treatments Leroy.

Sent by Irene | 3:15 PM | 11-1-2007

Yes! You have had a major reminder of how glorious "normal" can be by comparison to ordeals of procedures and healing from same. In the meantime, we're cheering your being at home, and your getting to heal in familiar surroundings, and feeling well enough to enumerate the challenges of the day. Keep up the incredible good work, Leroy!

Sent by Sarah | 3:33 PM | 11-1-2007

I never saw participating in the blog as taking anything away from being caregiver at home. It's always been something, at least for me, that lets me connect and discuss with others in similar situations when I couldn't say those things at home.

And friends, no matter how sympathetic and compassionate, just can't get it without having been through it. The people here know. They've been there.

This place has helped save my sanity at times.

Sent by Bruce | 3:36 PM | 11-1-2007

Hey Leroy, You may not feel like your old self yet, but your writing is getting pretty close. :-)

Elizabeth, I wish much healing for your husband and peace for you. As for comments on this blog, well, Leroy's 19 May 2006 post has the "Discussion Guidelines." On my web browser, I have to actively open the comments link after I read Leroy's post (to submit or read). Same with any other blog, or most electronic major media postings. If I don't want to read comments, I don't click on the link.

Some of us on this blog have forged flesh and blood friendships. Some on this blog see it as their only safety net. And, if I can help one person feel better for one day, it's worth it. Many of us volunteer for cancer related activities, as we are able. The day that Leroy wants us to back off, I'll respect that wish.

Sent by Sheara | 3:45 PM | 11-1-2007

Leroy, know what you mean about INCONVENIENCE! Many of us here probably have and recall being tethered up to pic-lines, tubes; having to clean out the lines with saline and heparin; showering with saran wrap covering arms to protect the pic-lines etc. We can commiserate!

Sent by Dorothy - Los Angeles | 4:23 PM | 11-1-2007

An inconvenience - yes; but it's necessary to get you back on track. Please don't yearn too much for your "old life", Leroy. You have a new one now that cancer has paid a visit and that old life may just not be obtainable. It doesn't have to be a worse life - in fact, in many ways it can be better because of the compassion that it seems to bring out in most patients and caregivers.

Now Elizabeth might just be having a rough day and that's why she posted as she did. I think that's why many of us post - a good day to be thankful for and to share that gift - or a bad day when you just need reassurance that you're not alone in this battle; that someone else actually recognizes what this is like. We don't post on your blog because you're "famous" or as a misplaced emotional investment. We're a community of caring people here to support us all. I look at it as 'paying it forward'. If I can share a good thought with a stranger, who knows what that might bring to some unknown person down the road - or even to my own husband battling cancer. Life is just too short to waste any time on negativity.

Sent by Dianne in Nevada | 4:35 PM | 11-1-2007

Good Afternoon Leroy, Laurie and All.

Leroy, I'm glad to hear that you now feel well enough to be concerned about "Inconveniences". It wasn't long ago when the concern was survival. You have made great progress, my friend!!

Laurie, I hope you are taking the time to draw a long deep breath by now. This has been a whirlwind for both of you. It has been a battle, well fought.

Elizabeth, I am glad to hear that your husband continues to do so well. You both have been deeply touched by the cancer experience. I hope you will continue to keep us up to date on his progress. As for a group of people coming together to support and care about each other, this is one of the finest expressions of humanity. It can be kind of scary at first because it allows others to know us more intimately but that is where the seeds of compassion are born. I hope you will continue to read and contribute to Leroy's Blog.

To All, Continued HOPE and HEALING and may all of our "inconveniences" be little ones! God Bless.

Eileen Pruyne
Charlotte, NC.

Sent by Eileen Pruyne | 4:43 PM | 11-1-2007

To Elizabeth,
Because of this Blog, I made a new friend who has been an invaluable support to me as has Leroy with his lust for life. As some people say to those who don't go for certain TV shows, "If you don't like what's on, turn the channel".

Sent by Elaine | 4:53 PM | 11-1-2007

Hi Leroy! Although you are sometimes getting tangled with all the lines and drains, i'm happy you've kept your 'upbeat' attitude. I personally believe that mental strength and humor is so important to get through crappy cancer.

I've been now practicing for 1 month now...time does fly from the first time I wrote in.

For those in the Southern California area, I and my co-worker, are doing an informal breast cancer talk on prevention, detection and treatment this upcoming Monday (November 5th) the the Corona Public Library at 7pm. (Corona, California). If any of the readers are interested, please drop by and spread the word.

Tangles get untangled...with time. I hope that the time passes quickly and that you are free again to roam free and healthy.

Sent by Krupali Tejura MD | 5:16 PM | 11-1-2007

Leroy, you are sounding stronger. That is wonderful. Just keep on trucking forward. Someday soon you will get rid of all those lines. That will feel so wonderful. Just keep that thought in mind.

Thank you for shareing with us, and being a part of our lives in cancer world. I am sorry that you have to be a part of this community but also so very thankful to have someone as strong and positive as you are. You are such a big help to all of us, as well as the others who share them selves.

Elizabeth, I really hope for your sake that you really did not mean to sound as you did today. How very sad if you did mean it. Compassion and careing should not just have to be given to someone that we know personally, it should be there for all. There are so many wonderful people from all over the world that are a part of this community. I for one would be lost with out their support and careing.

Dorothy, in Oregon

Sent by dorothy | 5:59 PM | 11-1-2007

On days when I am in so much pain that all I can do is moan or times when I am so scared that I forget to breathe, I read Leroy's blog, all the comments and I feel comforted that others are battling the same demons with wit, compassion and kindness...and I take a deep breath and begin again. So, this is a sounding board, a support group, a touchstone...but it's the only place where everyone understands. I didn't know who Leroy was in the beginning. A friend sent me his comments each day. He just speaks so eloquently.

Sent by glenda | 6:32 PM | 11-1-2007

Dear Leroy,
It is good to hear your bright spirit returning more and more each time you write, but if you have one of those
"bad" days, please do not hesitate to come to us and share those as well. You are certainly not any less human than the rest of us, and each day cannot be expected to be on the upward trend, there will be those days when you feel like hell and we are here to listen to those thoughts, too.

I hope you will not feel as if you must always be at your best to come to the board. Goodness knows we all have our challenging days to endure, along with the ones that help us to feel strong and happy. Just keep coming back.

I would like to say to Elizabeth that I hear pain in her writing, and perfectly understand her frustrations. I know I have come to the board many times, and trying my best to stay up-beat, but left crying because I have nothing positive to say and embarassed because of it, so I have just turned off the computer and closed it up out of sheer frustration. I have had a tough time in recovery and felt "apart" from others because of myself, not because of anything anyone else said, but I am learning that we all have good and bad days and we are welcome to come here and share our thoughts and feelings-no matter what they are. I am grateful to alot of people who encouraged me to continue to write, no matter how I felt.
I hope you are having one of those days we are all too familiar with and will come back and report that your life has improved and your resentments are nothing more than back-handed remarks of respect. Believe me, I have had many, many days when I cried and kicked and screamed, but I came back. That is the most important thing to remember here, we are not judgmental, but a loving and caring group of those touched
by illness and find a lot of peace in knowing we have a place to come and share how we think and feel. Good or bad, there are not many people who come here who do not understand your hurtful challenges. I hope you will remember that and return to us, and let us embrace you with open arms, if you wish.
If not, I hope for many good things to come from this experience you are going through, and peace and wellness for your husband. If I can be of any help to you, please feel free to write to me, I will answer with the respect and courtesty we all sincerely need and have
earned. I know there have been many times when I needed and craved a sense of release and respect, but had no idea how to ask for it. With this group, if you return, you will find so many like-minded people, doing our best to make it one more day with a sense of peace and hope. Perhaps we will see your name again and again when you are more comfortable. If not, please take good care of yourself and your husband, and all of those who truly care for and believe in you and your husband's well-being.
Love, Briana

Sent by Briana | 7:35 PM | 11-1-2007

It is, indeed, so good to feel a part of this community. Thank you, Leroy. Blessings, Joyce

Sent by Joyce Smith | 7:47 PM | 11-1-2007

P.S. If we are going to have a movie star, couldn't it be George Clooney rather than Brad Pitt?

Sent by Joyce Smith | 7:49 PM | 11-1-2007

just a quick note...i had a drain under my arm when they took my lymph nodes out. it was long and looped back up to my chest. i caught it on the banister one day and pulled it and a stitch loose. DON'T DO THAT!!! it hurts like hell. It will be a happy day for you when it comes out, i know it was for me. hang in there Leroy.

Sent by ellie | 7:58 PM | 11-1-2007

Elizabeth, try reading June 29, 2006....
I find strength here and I get courage to move forward. Most importantly, I find love, compassion and friendship...

Sent by Laurie | 10:20 PM | 11-1-2007

Leroy,
I hope each day brings you more peace. A lot of minor things can really add up to one major challenge.

Elizabeth,
Wow....that is really negative stuff. I don't want to judge you because I am not in your shoes. I have to wonder what would prompt you to be so negative about this blog and the comments. What did you have to gain? I am grateful that there is someone willing to share his journey with cancer and I do not need to know him personally to express compassion and gratitude. I feel a large component of the comments is about letting people vent, helping people to feel less alone (cause being a cancer survivor can be the lonliest place on earth), and about helping others.

Sent by Beth S. | 10:28 PM | 11-1-2007

Hello to Leroy,
Sending you some cyber strength. Your public gives you a standing ovation for your brave reporting from the front lines of a different battle and different war.
I wonder what you're thinking about all of the "Elizabeth" chatter?
To me it's(the blog) an updated version of --smoke signals- drum beating- morse code- communicating long distance- lessons to be shared about our life on Earth today.

Sent by Deb | 10:40 PM | 11-1-2007

Hi Leroy,

glad to hear that you're feeling better and your main complaint is the inconvenience of tubes and lines.. It is almost like childbirth, when you are in the middle of it, it seems as though it will never be over. I went through treatment for a year and had my port for a year and a half. Also dealt with drains and all that yucky stuff. Now it seems like a distant dream (6 years ago).

It's true, we never go back to our "old normal". It's a new normal and it's wonderful !!

When you reach your new normal we should have a party and celebrate.

Life is good.

love & peace,

susan california

Sent by susan | 11:05 PM | 11-1-2007

Leroy,
So glad to hear the spark back in your writing. I can't imagine the difficulties and pain you have been thru and come out the other side with your wits intact. Be patient. I hope Elizabeth realizes that sometimes you are the medium for all of us who read and write. This takes nothing away from the loving care I give my husband but it helps me to cope so I can continue helping him.

Sent by Kathie | 11:46 PM | 11-1-2007

Amen to that sister (Elaine)....Hmmm...just when I took the rare time (because I do have a life) to read all the upbeat jokes ect... yesterday and felt good--today I say..... a blog is a blog is a blog is a blog.... and the only thing that "Creeps" me out is Cancer. This blog and most everyone on it know you Leroy are worth every investment of energy. Cancer is a community thing and until we realize that--cancer won't be history. Freedom of speech I guess....and Judge not lest you not blog.

Sent by Linda | 2:02 AM | 11-2-2007

Elizabeth's entry yesterday generated a lot of thought. So many of the responses were kind and understanding. Leroy, your blog entry today was the kindest of all, a very gentle confirmation to your little community here that you do appreciate and feel the support coming your way.

If every choice and thought boils down to either coming from fear or coming from love...then this blog is all about love.

Thank you Leroy, for not being afraid to share the truth of your experiences and feelings and thank you NPR, Maeve, and all the bloggers for a true gift to so many.

Sent by Nichole in FL | 10:19 AM | 11-2-2007

Leroy and Laurie:

Keep it slow, and simple.
We are here for you.