At Last, a Good Day

Even when you have cancer. Even when your legs aren't working the way they should. Even when you're in, arguably, the best hospital in the country, getting the best medical care.

That was the way it was for Leroy this day.

There was a shift in his mood. He was joking with the nurses. Practicing the exercises the PT therapist has shown him. All signs that the old Leroy is surfacing.

It's been a struggle.

Then, late in the day, some positive news. A CT scan showed no changes to the small nodules in his lung. And the rest of Leroy's body was clear.

The MRIs are next on the schedule. They will look at the spine and the brain. More to worry about, but not now.

Even at this late hour as I write this, I'm content to say it was a good day.

Comments

Our smiles will brighten this dark, cold New York morning. Praise the Lord.

Sent by linda | 7:13 AM | 2-12-2008

YIPEE- good things happening to good people! Hand in there, Girl... and be sure to grab a great sandwich for yourself!
Many thanks for taking such good care of your "Public", as well as Leroy: it has the same therapeutic effect on us as it does on him. :-))
L in CT

Sent by LSF | 7:28 AM | 2-12-2008

Fabulous news! Thanks so much for taking the time to share it! Hope there will be continued improvement today.

Sent by Jen | 7:39 AM | 2-12-2008

Thank God for good days..Glad to hear some positive news. Still thinking of you and praying for strength, peace and healing.

Sent by Julie | 7:45 AM | 2-12-2008

Laurie and Leroy, I am thrilled to read today's blog. It sounds so encouraging!
As always, my prayers are with you, Leroy, your family and friends, and this wonderful family...
Stay strong and healthy!

Sent by Laurie Hirth | 7:49 AM | 2-12-2008

Dear Laurie,
What a relief to read this blog entry! Thank you so much for keeping all your "friends" and admirers updated.
Much love to you and Leroy. You have made my day with this news!
Mary

Sent by Mary Sullivan - Charlottesville,VA | 7:51 AM | 2-12-2008

Small glimmers of Hope continue to be seen!! The news about the CT is very good. We will pray that the MRI will reveal the same good news or perhaps even better news.

Thank you for the update. Always know that Leroy's bloggers are here awaiting the latest news and our prayers continue for you both.

Sent by Al Cato | 7:51 AM | 2-12-2008

Hip Hip Horray! Good news has finally come your way!
Keep on keeping on Laurie and Leroy. We are praying for you.

Sent by Melissa T | 7:53 AM | 2-12-2008

Amen! Thank you for the update, Laurie. We continue to hold you and Leroy tightly in our thoughts and prayers.

Sent by Stacy Fox | 7:54 AM | 2-12-2008

YAHOO seems to be an appropiate word..we want to celebrate the positive and not just commiserate with the bad days/news. I hope today brings more good news!

Sent by susan | 7:55 AM | 2-12-2008

Laurie, thank you again for taking the time to update us...I'm glad Leroy is eating well and his sense of humor is intact! Be sure to take care of yourself too...

Hugs...

Sent by Faun | 7:56 AM | 2-12-2008

Yeah, Yippee, hooray! We celebrate with you! The good days give you strength and courage. Enjoy! Here's hoping for another one today!

Sent by JudyM | 8:00 AM | 2-12-2008

Some good news at last! Wonderful Laurie! How good it must have been to hear him joking and feeling alive once again! I am so very happy for you both and now, maybe you can look forward to a Happy Valentines Day together and can be optimistic again as you await the next phase - the Mri. Finally Leroy, a day without those "Grey Clouds" Love to you both!

Sent by J C R | 8:02 AM | 2-12-2008

A very good day - a day that one little "normal" thing happens. We understand, Laurie, and are so grateful and appreciative that you are keeping us up to date.
Hour by hour, day by day, I'm betting you get the "old Leroy" back......
Contined good wishes and prayers coming your way....
Thanks again for your honest and heartfelt updates.

Sent by Ruth Chermok | 8:03 AM | 2-12-2008

Dear Laurie,

Incredible! What a relief for you and what a triumph for Leroy. May he continue to recover and have many more good days than bad. My prayers and thoughts are with you both daily,

Lianne

Sent by Lianne Friedman | 8:05 AM | 2-12-2008

Oh thank God.

I'm all about a chocolate cupcake myself.

Blessings to you both.

Sent by Lori | 8:05 AM | 2-12-2008

Gosh, Laurie. I'm struck by how much you sound like Leroy. When I started reading your post today, I thought "Oh, wonderful! Leroy is well enough to write." I guess over the years, mates become more and more alike. Or maybe you were to start with.
It must be wonderful to have your real Leroy back. I bet you felt really alone when he was not himself. It must have been quite a low point.
So many people long to help you through
all this. Most of us have been in similar battles. We can't give any substantial help. All we can do is say, "I know. I know the magnitude of your pain."
Four years ago, I sat in my car and cried. I was about to go into a store to buy a valentine knowing it would be the last I'd ever buy. It was a low point, right down there with so many other almost unbearable moments. I remember sitting there thinking, "Wow. There's no such thing as unbearable. That word has no meaning." You think there's a point, somewhere very close, where you'll reach unbearable. But love is stronger than anything else, and you somehow bear it all. You have no alternative.
I hope you and Leroy have a lovely Valentines Day, full of luxuries and free of pain, and that you'll have many more to come.

Sent by Laura | 8:06 AM | 2-12-2008

I'm so glad to see your positive feelings. Even if those feelings seem fleeting or if they occur far and few between, the fact that they are there is great for you and great for Leroy.

Sent by Aimee | 8:09 AM | 2-12-2008

Proof of what love and prayers from so many can do!

Sent by sarah | 8:14 AM | 2-12-2008

Great news!! Our prayers and thoughts are for good days to become better and more frequent.

Sent by Carolyn Solomon | 8:16 AM | 2-12-2008

Sigh of relief! Laurie, you are the armor that Leroy needs right now. Don't forget to take care of yourself too. Drink lots of water and close your eyes and breath deeply. Prayers for you both!

Sent by Becky | 8:22 AM | 2-12-2008

Sent by Becky | 8:22 AM | 2-12-2008

Laurie,
Fantastic news! Someitmes, we just need to savor the good news and I am thrilled for you both. I wish you both many more days with great turkey sandwiches & chocolate cupcakes :)

I will continue to keep you both in my thoughts & prayers!

Sent by lisa | 8:22 AM | 2-12-2008

God is good, the Doctors are good, all of this news is so very good....and you Laurie...are amazing. Bless you.
What a wonderful way for me to start my day, knowing Leroy is coming around. Chocolate...the absolute best way to recovery!
Prayers, and blessings and May the Grace of God be with you.
Wanda Amorose

Sent by Wanda Amorose | 8:23 AM | 2-12-2008

Thank you for helping me start the day with a big smile on my face! Go Leroy! And a big "yea!" to you too Laurie. You are both in my prayers.

Sent by Robin L. Fairfax VA | 8:25 AM | 2-12-2008

There's a lot to be said for the little things...a great sandwich, a chocolate cup cake, a rainbow in my kitchen from the crystals in the window. My mood right now is content...I'm on NPR.org's site, listening to Jane Monheit singing "Blame It On My Youth", and just read that my pal Leroy is doing much better. All is well. Now Laurie, you can pry your shoulders down from around your ears where the stress of the last week has undoubtedly left them. Hugs.

Sent by Nancy K. Clark | 8:30 AM | 2-12-2008

Isn't it amazing how intensely we can enjoy the small things that make up our daily lives! It's just too bad that we have to suffer so in order to realize how wonderful "ordinary" is....

So glad to see things looking brighter! Love and prayers to you both.

Sent by Brenda | 8:30 AM | 2-12-2008

God bless you and Leroy. I will continue to keep the two of you in my thoughts, my heart and my prayers.

Sent by Ann Adams | 8:34 AM | 2-12-2008

Thank you, Laurie, for taking the time to keep us updated on how you and Leroy are holding up. I read your episodes, and my heart goes out to both of you. I'm so thankful that yesterday was a good day, and I'm extra glad for the cupcake. A nice conversation, a good joke, a treat, a hug, those are the things we live for. May you and Leroy have some of those today.

Sent by Leslie (Boston) | 8:36 AM | 2-12-2008

Laurie, what good news. You must be exhausted. Does sound like the old Leroy is resurfaceing. I think any day in cancer world that a person can say overall good day is wonderful. My heart goes out to both of you. Try to grab a little rest. We are all with both of you all the way.

Sent by dorothy in oregon | 8:45 AM | 2-12-2008

It's a lovely, hopeful report. One day at a time is the mantra; I hope each day has a ray of sunshine about it.

Sent by Eleanor | 8:53 AM | 2-12-2008

Laurie - you will never forget that sandwich! Thank goodness!!!

Take time for yourself today now that things are more stable with LeRoy. Go to a movie, or take a hot bath, whatever your favorite escape. Just treat yourself to a few hours outside of the hospital. You deserve it and the ever-sensitive LeRoy understands.

LeRoy - keep eating!

Best wishes to you both!

Sent by Liz L. | 9:04 AM | 2-12-2008

I am sure you will have more good days.
Best wishes from Madrid.

Sent by Angela | 9:05 AM | 2-12-2008

I'm so happy for a good day. Hoping for more good news after the MRI.

Sent by cv | 9:05 AM | 2-12-2008

Tiny steps and something to enjoy. What a pair of heros. Bless you both. Wendy

Sent by wendy | 9:10 AM | 2-12-2008

great news today...little positive steps can life one's heart so very much! Stay warm folks...we are gearing up for another big storm in the northeast!

Sent by Karen | 9:13 AM | 2-12-2008

Laurie, Hello, and hello to Leroy also,

Thank you for posting. Exhausted and happy for the "good day" Leroy had, which spills into you having a better day too. Caregivers have it so tough. My partner is my caregiver, and there are days she gets completely overwhelmed,(understandably), but other friends and God, the universe, etc., help her find some way of going on another day. One of our newest friends is a complete Godsend. She steps in and helps with practical stuff that my partner would otherwise end up doing all by herself late at night, after working a full day at her full time job. She and another friend share the midday task of letting our dogs out, taking them for a walk, (and me for a spin in the wheelchair). Well, we love them all, and are very lucky to have the support system we have. Thank you for sharing your's and Leroy's "good day."

Take care Laurie and Leroy,

Kim

Sent by Kim | 9:18 AM | 2-12-2008

Leroy's feeling better. Good results on CT Scan. Eatin' chocolate cupcakes. Happy Valentine's Day, Laurie!

Sent by Sharon | 9:19 AM | 2-12-2008

Dear Laurie!

What great news! One day at a time and each one better than the last. As always, warm thoughts and prayers to and for you both. I'm also glad that the food at JHH has improved since my stay there a few years ago...;->

Thanks for the continuing updates!

Sent by Erica | 9:19 AM | 2-12-2008

Amen! and may they all be better each day. As always our prayers are with you and your loved ones.

Linda

Sent by Linda | 9:19 AM | 2-12-2008

Whohooo!!! No change and clear in the rest of his body, yahhhoooo! I am so glad his old self has resurfaced. He must be feeling much better. Thank God. Hugs

Sent by Alycia Keating | 9:30 AM | 2-12-2008

"Sometimes a great turkey sandwich and a chocolate cupcake are all you need to make it a good day." I can't say it better. Glad to hear the good news.

Sent by townie7890 | 9:31 AM | 2-12-2008

Thanks Laurie for the update. I agree with Laura....at first I thought Leroy was writing. I will continue to keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers. Hope you can get some rest.

Sent by Kathy in Ohio | 9:32 AM | 2-12-2008

Terrific news Laurie. Thanks for passing it along to this (don't you think?) amazing community of loving individuals. As I read through all these comments I'm deeply struck by the depth of love, caring, compassion and joy expressed here.

This good news about Leroy's much-improved day, and the outpouring of love and support from each of you, have lifted MY spirits. I don't know if it's quite supposed to work that way, but it sure has. Love and prayers to ALL of you in this warm and loving cyber neighborhood. Wish I could invite you all over for some hot chocolate -- it's snowing and cold here in central Ohio. So have a cup and think of all of us here. It's like we're sitting around a warm, inviting fire...

Sent by Jordis | 9:41 AM | 2-12-2008

I am so happy for you both! I hope and pray that the good news keeps coming-

Sent by Mary Beth | 9:46 AM | 2-12-2008

Great news! Prayers are still being sent your way. More chocolate cupcakes, please!!!!
With care, Anne

Sent by anne lumberger | 9:51 AM | 2-12-2008

Great news! Some prayers were answered. Now on to pray for that MRI and more good news! Thank you, for the update, Laurie. You have no idea how this has lifted my spirits today.

Sent by Stacy | 9:54 AM | 2-12-2008

Oh, happy day! What a pleasure and relief to read your entry today. Thinking of the both of you and high positive energy.

Sent by Pat Z. | 9:54 AM | 2-12-2008

Dear Leroy and Laurie,

I rejoice with you over this good news. This makes my day! God Bless you both, as he continues to watch over you and keep you strong and heal Leroy. May many more good days be on the horizon!

Sent by Connie | 9:55 AM | 2-12-2008

Laurie thank you for sharing. You and Leroy continue to perservere through the hardship and this inspires all of us. Best of luck today and much love.

Sent by Liz | 9:57 AM | 2-12-2008

After following this blog for awhile now, I cannot tell you how nice it was to check today's entry and hear about Leroy getting back to his old self. Great writing by Laurie too! Keep up the positive attitude.

Sent by Kerry | 9:58 AM | 2-12-2008

Tremendously good news!! Can you hear the roar of the crowds?

Sent by Sheara | 9:58 AM | 2-12-2008

Wow, you know, that other person who mentioned, this post sounded like Leroy writing...but it's you Laurie. "He" is back again and it's reflected in your writing. You must be exhausted, but still can celebrate this small victory. Isn't it great when something mundane like having a sandwich is a sign of healing? A big hallelujia for the small stuff! Yah! I remember after my husband's major surgery, and the delirious days, when he ate a full meal and started talking rationally about food and taking a walk around the hospital corridors. Some return to "normal" life...as if there could be. But those opportunities increased. I hope you have a chance to rest and celebrate in some small way. Take a walk, go home early. You've been pulling so hard for him all along. Thank you for taking time to keep all us "fans" informed. May your day be blessed! Sally in Spokane

Sent by Sally & Tom | 10:02 AM | 2-12-2008

Dear Larie,

Thank you so much for keeping us updated. I pray for continued "good food" and "painless days."

JM

Sent by judy | 10:02 AM | 2-12-2008

Thank goodness for some good news. it certainly put a smile on my face this morning.

Sent by Lisa | 10:07 AM | 2-12-2008

Laurie,

Glad for your good day and to hear the encouraging scan results. I'll bet they are especially welcome after your recent trials. I hope today's tests are equally positive.

Sent by Gene Koeneman | 10:22 AM | 2-12-2008

Thank you, Laurie, for keeping those of us who share in Leroys' fight- up to the minute with this joyful progress.
We pray for his continued improvement every day.

Sent by Peter, In colorado | 10:22 AM | 2-12-2008

What a lovely post. How did you two amazing people find each other?

Keep praying everyone...it's working!

Sent by Nichole in FL | 10:22 AM | 2-12-2008

Dear Leroy and Laurie

What an encouraging way to start the day. I'm so glad Leroy is doing better. Thank you for keeping us posted. Keep eating chocolate. It's a great mood enhancer!

Judy in Northern Virginia

Sent by Judy Fuller | 10:29 AM | 2-12-2008

Such a great relief. I'm thrilled for both of you. Let's just take every good moment that we get and savor every crumb. Especially the cupcake crumbs. Go Leroy!

Sent by Laurel M. Jones | 10:30 AM | 2-12-2008

Laurie ~ Just as I always look forward to reading Leroy's essays I find myself eager to read your recent posts. I agree with Laura - you do sound a bit like Leroy but I think that's because we are discovering that you, too, are an excellent wordsmith and enjoy a turn of phrase now and then.

Wonderful news about Leroy's returning to his old self! May the recovery continue. Enjoy Valentine's Day...maybe with a pink cupcake!

Sent by Gail in Texas | 10:33 AM | 2-12-2008

"A good day." Three small words that mean so much.

Chocolate cupcakes for everyone!

Sent by Kelly | 10:54 AM | 2-12-2008

Awesome!
Sandra Yudilevich

Sent by Sandra Yudilevich | 10:57 AM | 2-12-2008

Dear Laurie,

Bless your heart. My son had cancer five years ago. I remember those sleepless nights, crying silently in the hospital room, the helpless feelings, etc. Hang in there.....my thoughts are with you and Leroy everyday.

Sent by grace | 11:00 AM | 2-12-2008

THANK GOD!!

Laurie, thanks so much for keeping us posted.

Leroy, you are a GOOD man!! What encouragement I got from this good news this morning. Hope tomorrow will be even better news.

Love to all,
Betty Lewis

Sent by Betty K. Lewis | 11:00 AM | 2-12-2008

Good news!! My prayers keep coming to Leroy, and I am sure the prayers of many others as well. His spirit is an inspiration to me.

Sent by Kate | 11:02 AM | 2-12-2008

Yesss!!

On my refrigerator, along with all the family photos, is a magnet with a quotation from Rumi saying "This moment is all there is." I'm so glad you and Leroy had some good moments yesterday, and wish you more of the same today. Right now, I'm starting my day with a big smile on my face!

Sent by Doris | 11:02 AM | 2-12-2008

Wonderful News! You made my day, thank you Laurie for keeping us informed.

Sent by Ruth White | 11:03 AM | 2-12-2008

I am so relieved. Isn't it amazing how the bottom line can shift and definitions of good that were unthinkable a year or two ago are absolutely heart felt. Truly a good day. And many more are to come.

Sent by cindy | 11:03 AM | 2-12-2008

Yay! Yay! Yay!!!

Sent by Elona | 11:12 AM | 2-12-2008

Thank God for good news. I'm noticing a common thread here, Laurie. All we caretakers seem to want you to take care of yourself now that the crisis is abating. Please heed us--we know you'll need your physical and emotional strength another day. Take time for yourself--a manicure, a bath, a nap in your own bed at home. Leroy will be waiting for you when you get back.

Kathy

Sent by Kathy Barney | 11:20 AM | 2-12-2008

The beautiful rhythm of your post, Laurie, did, in fact, remind me of Leroy. I had to double check who wrote it.

Love and hugs to you both,
Susan

Sent by Susan Carrier | 11:22 AM | 2-12-2008

MMMMM, chocolate, the ultimate bandaid! Thanks for the update, I too thought it was Leroy writing! Take care of yourself Laurie, it sounds like things are moving(albeit slowly!) in the right direction. Warmest wishes coming your way.

Sent by Jenene K/Phoenix | 11:27 AM | 2-12-2008

Sent by JULIE | 11:31 AM | 2-12-2008

This is truely a great report and very refreshing. Thank you for this wonderful update. This really brightened my day. I know Larry has a long haul ahead, but this is a promising report.
I wish I could send a big yellow smiley face through the internet. The old :) just isn't cutting it for me.

Sent by JJG | 11:32 AM | 2-12-2008

Dear Laurie,
I was a way for a week for a well needed vacation, despite the feeling of guilt. Even though I knew my children would look after their father, I felt as If I deserted him. I can't believe what has transpired in this short week that I have been gone. Please give Leroy my best and thank you for showing us how important COURAGE is for a caretaker. I pray for both you and Leroy and for a speedy recovery.

Sent by Sasha | 11:32 AM | 2-12-2008

The cracks are where the light comes in. Embrace the light. Allison

Sent by allison madell | 11:33 AM | 2-12-2008

Wow I know how wonderful your good news makes all us folks feel. You must be beside yourself with joy for the moment of feeling free from all that encapsulated you over these past few days.I am just so warmed by the both of you and what you have together.Wishing you continued progress.
Pam

Sent by Pam | 11:42 AM | 2-12-2008

Laurie & Leroy,
Praise the Lord that it was a good day. They have been few and far between in our family for some time so I know how wonderful this is. Prayers for healing for Leroy and peace for you, Laurie.
Charlotte in Rural Ridge, PA

Sent by Charlotte Kewish | 11:45 AM | 2-12-2008

Thank you for your wonderful news Laurie! I am so happy that Leroy was able to enjoy some simple joys, a cupcake and a delicious turkey sandwich. Funny how we can be so grateful for all the little things. The news on the tests in great, too! May the sunshine continue!

Sent by Barbara Langan | 11:45 AM | 2-12-2008

I know that after surgery, my first real meal has been such a wonderful thing. What great news about his CT scans!So very happy for you two that some sun is starting to shine through all the rain.

Sent by NancyGM | 11:47 AM | 2-12-2008

Here's to many more great days for you and Leroy. Thanks for making our day a great day, too!

Sent by Roxane | 11:55 AM | 2-12-2008

Finally some good news. Thank you Lord.

Sent by Robert Sheehan | 12:00 PM | 2-12-2008

Thank God, that was great news Laurie. That has made a cold rainy and gloomy day full of sunshine and blue skies. Give Leroy our love and a hug and both of you enjoy a turkey sandwich and chocolate cupcake. Today the battle is ours. Love and Prayers

Sent by Teresa in WV | 12:01 PM | 2-12-2008

Turkey sandwich and cupcake!! Sounds like a great day for sure! Congrats on the brighter day. Rest well our friends!!

Sent by Karen | 12:04 PM | 2-12-2008

Hooray!!! I'm so happy for both of you! That you and Leroy had a good day, that he's getting back to his old self, that the medical news was so great. Hang in there -- take breaks --go home and get some sleep, if you can -- those recliner thingies are better than nothing, but still.... Take your B and C vitamins. And otherwise just take good care of yourself. Prayers your way.

Sent by Victoria Ferreira | 12:14 PM | 2-12-2008

Laurie, my heart aches for you and Leroy and all those to whom he means so much for what this lousy desease is putting you through. My prayers are with you.

Sent by Jan | 12:22 PM | 2-12-2008

Laurie, thanks for the heart behind your messages in the last few days. You are managing to be SO present to Leroy, and to your own feelings, and still send the blog community these updates from the front. Bless your heart! It is a great joy to hear the tide has shifted, and you experienced a good day with Leroy again. I know you are savoring this, as we are enjoying it all from afar, seeing the two of you catch a sweet break.

Sent by Sarah | 12:24 PM | 2-12-2008

Laurie and Leroy,
We know what you mean. Every day we look back and count any improvements and tally our successes. It keeps us going. So happy you have had a good day, with encouraging news on the scans. More good news to come!

Sent by Debbie Carlson | 12:32 PM | 2-12-2008

You both certainly deserved a good day. May there be many more of those ahead.

Sent by N.R. | 12:34 PM | 2-12-2008

This is wonderful, encouraging news. And thank you, Laurie - I can exhale now!

Sent by Janice J, Los Angeles | 12:36 PM | 2-12-2008

Hi Laurie, It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings, and Leroy is proof of that! I was so very happy to read your good news. More to come, I know it.

Sent by Joanne Wilkerson-Burke | 12:44 PM | 2-12-2008

Wowie, Zowie ! Why is it that this great news brings tears to my eyes? Leroy surfacing again and again. So happy for you both, even knowing there is a long road ahead. But if anyone can do it, you two are the winning team.

Another thing: it gives all of us hope. Maybe when we are there, at that point, we too can pick ourselves up and fly.

Sent by Nancy Oliveri | 1:04 PM | 2-12-2008

I can't believe how well Laura expressed my feelings on reading the email today. I really thought it was Leroy!! I also want to echo Laura's words about "unbearable". I was a caregiver a long time ago, but I haven't forgotten how "unbearable" the suffering was, but somehow you do manage to get through the pain and keep going.

Laurie, please know that we all carry you both in our hearts. It's important for you to be strong right now, but it is also very important that you take time to release the tension. Cry, if that helps you. Beat the wall with your fists. Do whatever you need to do, but don't keep it inside all the time. It will eventually catch up with you, and you will find yourself reacting in ways that you don't want. I hope you are not feeling overloaded with all the advice you are getting from the caregives in the group, but we just can't help being concerned and want the best for you.

Take care.

Sent by Sandra Mann | 1:10 PM | 2-12-2008

Yippee, thanks for the update! I always thought there was magic in chocolate cupcakes. Glad to hear Leroy is feeling better. God bless you both!

Sent by Lisa D. | 1:30 PM | 2-12-2008

Thank you so much for the updates Laurie. We appreciate them as we pray for you, Leroy, and all his caretakers.

There is some sad cancer news where I work. A colleagiure's 17 year old son had a pain in his leg and the diagnosis is that it is from an aggressive tumor which has also spread to his lungs. We
need to pray for them too.

Sent by Geoff | 2:23 PM | 2-12-2008

I know this is nit-picky but it drives me crazy. There is someone who keeps calling Leroy "Larry". oh well
Laurie & LEROY, thanks for sharing the good news. Hope reigns!! Love from Sherri in Texas

Sent by Sherri Eggleston | 2:54 PM | 2-12-2008

Further evidence of the power of prayer. It changes things. It really does!

Sent by bettye | 3:06 PM | 2-12-2008

Laurie,

Thanks for the great news. I've been a reader and fan of both you and Leory for a few months now. It is amazing to me how much strength and courage you both have. My husband and I live near Baltimore. We just became residents of the Cancer World as last week he was diagnosed with esophageal cancer and today we received pathology results that he also has cancer on his liver. Leroy frequently refers to his fantastic doctors and hospital care. Do you mind emailing me to let me know which hospital and doctors that he uses? My husband will undergo surgery on 2/29 and I am hoping that we made the right choice for his care. Thank you and God bless you both! alicia

Sent by alicia | 3:24 PM | 2-12-2008

Laurie,
I know how you feel as my husband got a clear brain MRI report last week. Still many issues but that is one less. Don't we feel so much lighter for the moment? Get some well deserved rest. God Bless!

Sent by Kathie | 3:32 PM | 2-12-2008

dear Leroy and ALL,
Thank G-D for a "good day. Keep up the progress and best of Good Thoughts go with you. xox dee

Sent by see | 3:38 PM | 2-12-2008

I've been so worried about you both, total strangers that you are not, that I'm sitting here crying in relief and joy. This is excellent news. Thank you for passing it along.

No offense, Laurie, but I'm looking forward to hearing from the man himself. Peace and love to you both.

Sent by Karole Ives, Duluth, MN | 4:10 PM | 2-12-2008

Geoff - I am so sorry for your friend and his son. May we have their first names so we can hold them in our thoughts and prayers, too?

Sent by Karole Ives, Duluth, MN | 4:19 PM | 2-12-2008

Laurie & Leroy,

So glad for the good news! Sometimes our prayers do get answered.

Sent by Marcy in NJ | 4:19 PM | 2-12-2008

alicia - i'm sorry to hear that you and your husband have joined us here in Cancer Land. Please keep us posted on his progress and know that we care.

Sent by Karole Ives, Duluth, MN | 4:24 PM | 2-12-2008

Alicia - I am also sorry to hear. I hope that you get the best care for your husband.

Best of luck to you and your husband. Karole was right: we care.

Sent by Liz L. | 6:01 PM | 2-12-2008

Laurie and Leroy,

I have read this blog faithfully and have always been hesitant to comment, but recently after finding out my Dad's cancer has recurred, I feel compelled to express how much today's entry lifted my spirits.

Sometimes a cupcake can make even the biggest crisis a little bit better.

You are both in my thoughts and please know that someone in the desert is praying for you.

Sent by Elsbeth in Tucson, Arizona | 6:03 PM | 2-12-2008

Kim,

I am touched by your acknowledgment of your "new friend" who lets the dogs out and takes you for a spin. A generous spirit doesn't need any historical reason for its actions...just love.

I am with Blanche DuBois in acknowledging "the kindness of strangers". Afterall, everyone on this blog is now a "new friend".

Blessings abound here,
Cathi (PNW)

Sent by Cathi | 6:06 PM | 2-12-2008

This is the best news!! I knew Leroy would get through this. Every day I pray for him~~I knew there would be a positive sign. Tell him we love him and we are here fighting for/with him ~~

Sent by Robin T | 6:09 PM | 2-12-2008

Laurie, Happy Valentines Day a little early!!
The misery of waiting for MRI results..
I pray for good results.
Alicia, my heart goes out to you as you begin this journey. As far as doctors go, you just have to pick the ones you feel you can trust, that you LIKE, and go with it. When my husband was fighting (so bravely) his battle with lung cancer, we felt like we had good doctors close to home. Now I wonder if maybe we had went elsewhere...but I try not to let myself think that way. We did as Leon wanted, and he had 2 1/2 years of a "cancer-free" (Is there such a thing?) life and another year of fighting the monster before losing our battle in April of 2007.
Geoff, I am so sorry to hear about the 17 year-old boy. I had 37 years with Leon--How does this family deal with their child having this monster attack him?
Thanks again, Laurie, for keeping us up to date.

Jane

Sent by Jane from AR | 6:18 PM | 2-12-2008

Yahoo!!!!!!!!!
Let's keep those prayers going up in Leroy's name....GOD IS IN CONTROL.. and HE is not ready for Leroy yet for sure!
GREAT NEWS...

Sent by Jo Ann Baswell | 6:19 PM | 2-12-2008

Great positive steps!!! Can't keep a good man down.

Or woman... Thanks Laurie,

Sent by Sue Chap | 6:20 PM | 2-12-2008

for sharing your love, your life and Leroy with us.I believe I speak for all here when I say that we love you both....keep the good news coming!
Liz Zimmerman

Sent by liz Zimmerman | 6:24 PM | 2-12-2008

Dear Laurie and Leroy...Wonderful, terrific, great, fabulous news...so happy for both of you that it was a good day...I believe in my heart that there will be lots more good days for both of you...Fondly...Ann Pat

Sent by Ann Patrice Sclafani-Forde | 6:44 PM | 2-12-2008

Laurie (and Leroy) --

Be present in these moments. Presence will bring you through even the most difficult times.

Kindest regards; sending warmth and healing.

Elaine

Sent by Elaine Barnes | 7:14 PM | 2-12-2008

THE WAY TO COME HOME FROM A LONG DAY AT WORK AND CRY GOOD TEARS OF JOY - POSITIVE THINKING AND FEELING - PLEASE G-D IT WILL CONTINUE - LOVE THE RESULTS OF THE CT SCAN - PRAY FOR THE SAME POSITIVE RESULTS ON THE MRI. BIG HUGS TO YOU AND LEROY
LOVE, JANICE

Sent by JANICE GOLDBERG WHITE | 7:17 PM | 2-12-2008

go! go! GO!

Sent by bill blake | 7:44 PM | 2-12-2008

Dear, dear Laurie,
Thanks for the good news. It made me think of the late, great Warren Zevon. Knowing his lung cancer was very serious, he was asked what advice he might have for the rest of us. He replied, "Enjoy every sandwich." Amen.

pat

Sent by patricia benson | 8:39 PM | 2-12-2008

Thank God, what a good message. Thank you for letting us all know he is still in there fighting. God Bless you both, keep up the good work

Sent by Dee | 9:27 PM | 2-12-2008

I am so happy to hear your good news! YEAH!!! Thank you so much for keeping us updated on Leroy's status. You and Leroy have so much strength and courage. Here's to more good days and enjoying all the "moments" that you can enjoy in life. :)

Sent by Hilary | 10:10 PM | 2-12-2008

A late but delighted sigh of relief!

So happy the scans were good!

Peggy

Sent by Peggy | 10:15 PM | 2-12-2008

Laurie, Sometimes it takes very little to make you very happy. Just getting through what he has gone through is enough. Glad to hear the news about the scans. I hope the MRI is the same, nothing but good news. Leroy deserves a break and so do you. My best to all, Stan

Sent by Stan Wozniak | 11:00 PM | 2-12-2008

so happy there was a good day for you both....so much deserved!

Sent by Karen | 12:14 AM | 2-13-2008

Karole,

Thanks for asking - their names are Michele and her son RJ.

Sent by Geoff | 4:38 PM | 2-13-2008