Time for a Trade-In?

Sometimes I think I just need a new body. That might be the easiest solution. I've certainly beaten up this body.

Didn't that happen on the old Star Trek a lot? Aliens would need new bodies so they'd take or borrow the bodies of Capt. Kirk and his pals? Now, my body has been through a lot, and it's actually held up surprisingly well. But wouldn't it be great to start with a brand new one?

A new body wouldn't have as many metal parts as my current one does. A good part of my spine is metal, not to mention the metal plate in my skull from the brain surgery. The doctors totally rearranged the muscles in my back when they did the spinal surgeries. A new body would follow the original design.

Maybe most important, a new body would let me start all over with new therapies. I wouldn't have crossed the radiation tolerance level already. No scar tissue in my lungs from Radio Frequency Ablation. No glue injected into my vertebrae.

And a new body wouldn't suffer from all the aches and pains, big and small, that I have now. Of course, while I'm at it, my new body would have six-pack abs and a full head of hair.

Oh well, it's fun to think about. But this body is the one I have. It's gotten me this far. I don't think it would be right to change now.

Comments

We may live in a culture used to disposig of things when they break, instead of repairing them, but unfortunately that doesn't extend to our bodies! I hope you can get the one you've got to serve you a little better in the future.

Sent by N.R. | 7:25 AM | 4-28-2008

My sister died at 32 from complications of diabetes. The same day she died there was a story in the newspaper about a 32 year old woman that died from a drug overdose after years of abuse. I thought why couldn't my sister have traded bodies with her years ago? Why couldn't every person hell bent on destroying themselves trade bodies with someone who would cherish that body? Sigh.....

Sent by Sue in Rochester, NY | 7:42 AM | 4-28-2008

Hi Leroy, well you brightened my day already. The clarity in which you handle your Beast, and the deep appreciation you have for the body the good Lord has given you just staggers me. You will continue to walk the walk today with the strength from above.
Leroy you are Aces in my book, I think of you and appreciate your difference from others.

Sent by Sent from Donato S. | 8:00 AM | 4-28-2008

Hmmm, trade in old body for a new one?

Okay,I wouldn't abuse the new one with the smoking the old one endured, and I think I would include more dancing.

Peggy

Sent by Peggy | 8:01 AM | 4-28-2008

Good morning Leroy,

What a way to start to the week, a request of a new body. Wouldn't we all! I am sure that in the future replacement parts will be improved, less metallic and more like nature intended. Until then it is the best we have. It is too bad that youth is wasted on the young, and we put our bodies through treatments that must be carried out to live. And isn't also too bad we can't get younger as we age like King Arthur's Merlin did, so we could enjoy ourselves even longer.

Oh well. I can dream. Remember, growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional. Our bodies will age, however, our state of mind and how we perceive ourselves does not have to get older or maybe worn out.

See you tomorrow!

Sent by Sue Chap | 8:04 AM | 4-28-2008

You wrote the other day that you felt you needed to say something 'profound' and meaningful, and you felt that sometimes you failed. But, as the responses show, what you are DOING is profound and meaningful for many people.
Thank you for doing it.

Sent by Tara | 8:07 AM | 4-28-2008

Leroy, you must be reading my mind. I've been saying that a new pair of non-asthmatic lungs would be much appreciated. There are good years and bad years and this is a really bad year.

Oh to be young and carefree again.

Sent by Marie in Mpls | 8:23 AM | 4-28-2008

Wow, Good Monday Morning Leroy! What is it they say, "Better the Devil you know than the Devil you don't know"? I think that you better keep the old familiar body you know. See how you described it in your message today. With an unknown, could you do that? Interesting thoughts anyway. Think that your doctors have done their best to "redesign" you anyway. I,personally would like to have another face, but with the same brain. That is not too shabby, but the face - ugh! My body is old now but was not too bad in my younger years. Leroy, you seem to be doing much to reshape and condition your new body and that is wonderful! As good as it can get, I think. Waited to hear from you this morning, now I shall take my ole body and give it a shower. That is about all I can do with it. Leroy, you have a terrific imagination and I love it!

Sent by J C R | 8:30 AM | 4-28-2008

Good morning Leroy, sounds like you are in a chipper mood this morning. Hope your weekend was good.

Wouldn't it be nice to just pick out that body that we wanted. We would pick out a fantastic looking and healthy one of course. Oh well, back to reality. We are stuck with what weve got.

Have a wonderful day.

Sent by dorothy in oregon | 8:30 AM | 4-28-2008

HELLO! Not right to change it? Well, GIMME the opportunity and then I can decide! I want one that is thin, tall and curvaous without effort, and has killer looks! Getting real, it sounds like maybe the week-end held more "discomfort" for you and that seems to drag a person down more than during the week when they are focusing on therapy work, dr. appts., etc. I hope this week proves kinder than last week...and each week following is kind. Then next spring you'll be the "new man". XO

Sent by Susan | 8:32 AM | 4-28-2008

Wouldn't that be nice? A trade in. Some day in the future i'm sure it will happen in one form or another, with all the cloning going on. I believe our scars tell our stories. You definitely don't have a shortage of those!

Sent by Jenn | 8:44 AM | 4-28-2008

I'm like you...."Guess I'll leave the dance with one I brung"! It is sometimes nice to think that if I could only get this part fixed or replaced, it would make things better. However, the cumulative effect of living life and fighting cancer has taken a toll but given the alternative, I'm glad to pay the toll for now!

So, Leroy...in spite of al of your infirmities, aches, pains, cannot do's, mustn't do's, you continue to lift us up daily with your courage and attitude! That's a blessing we don't take lightly!!

Sent by Al Cato | 8:52 AM | 4-28-2008

Leroy,
Sounds like a plan! I'd like a new body too. If and when you manage to get one be sure to keep your big heart. No need to replace something that works so beautify well!
You are still in my prayers!

Sent by Rita R | 9:02 AM | 4-28-2008

What fun would there be in simply giving up and trading in the old model? There's the challenge...piffle. I joke that if all the defective parts in me were suddenly to be replaced I'd be like the bionic woman...we can rebuild her...

Sent by Alycia Keating | 9:22 AM | 4-28-2008

Good Monday Morning to Leroy and all the members of LR...there is a posting today on the NPR "This I believe" section that is well worth the short time to read. 'Adapting to the possibiities of life' by Dr. Donald Rosenstein. Another view of what is required of humans as we go about the business of life and living. Blessing to all in cancer world. lac

Sent by Lou Ann Caywood | 9:23 AM | 4-28-2008

Hi, Leroy.

I'd love to have my pancreas, spleen, duodenum and attendant parts back...I guess one doesn't need a gallbladder, which I don't have either. It would also be nice to have liver that was tumor free and not have to look forward to yearly or bi-yearly RFAs. On the other hand, if indeed, "that which does not kill us, makes us stronger," then we all ought to be able to rip the door off a Volkswagon (apologies to Cheech and Chong and Nietzsche there). My mom always used to tell me "this too shall pass" when I was having issues in school or life or whatever. She didn't live to seem me get cancer, having died of her own a few months before, but I think she was essentially correct. You deal with stuff and life does go on. I figure that as long as I'm not dead yet, there is still more to do.

You exemplify that, Leroy. And, we've all gotten this far and we'll keep on going. Thanks as always for your daily insights and encouragement.

You and Laurie remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Erica

Sent by Erica | 9:42 AM | 4-28-2008

Dear Leroy,
Keep the faith buddy! We all appreciate your faithfulness to the blog.
Carolyn

Sent by Carolyn Mohaupt | 9:47 AM | 4-28-2008

You sound wonderful and wishing for those things that are basically not possible!! Take care, to the best of your ability, AS YOU HAVE BEEN, of the body that G-d gave you and medicine has recreated!!! Will be gone for almost three (3) weeks - will try to get to computers. Take care of you, G-d willing you will be complaining and coming up with more wishes - and you know that prayers and love go out to you and Laurie!

Jan

Sent by Janice Goldberg White | 10:06 AM | 4-28-2008

The leader of our church home group asked the question "What were we looking forward to in heaven?" First words out of my mouth were that new body God has promised me. For now I will do what I can with what I have left. Today is a "Curves" day to try to keep what I have working!
Have a great day, Leroy. Thanks for making us think!
Charlotte in Rural Ridge, PA

Sent by Charlotte Kewish | 10:09 AM | 4-28-2008

Hi Leroy,
You might get a kick out of this article in Oncology Times. It talks about the difference between dealing with a car that's a lemon and a body that has medical problems. Enjoy!

Sent by Wendy S. Harpham, MD | 10:17 AM | 4-28-2008

Your comments today make me think of that old saying, "Dance with the one what brung you!" Yes, our bodies support us through so many adventures! I'm happy to see you paying honor to your own battle-scarred vessel! What a spirit you have!

Sent by Sarah | 10:17 AM | 4-28-2008

Oh, no -- your new body wouldn't "let you start all over with new therapies." The new model wouldn't need any therapy, since it would be CANCER-FREE, of course!At 63, I wouldn't necessarily rush to trade in my wrinkled, saggy, scarred body for that of a 20 year old.This old body carries the history of where I've traveled and what I've experienced along the way. But I would be delighted to get an updated version of the parts that hurt.Ah well, we can fantasize, at least -- not a bad way to start a Monday morning.

Sent by Doris | 10:49 AM | 4-28-2008

I'm with you Leroy. I'd like a new body too. One with two boobs, not one, one with 2 complete lungs, one with a real esophagus and a whole stomach and one with no holes in the skull. I've been dealing with this damn cancer for 18 years, this body needs a break, but in the big picture, our bodies have served us well.

Sent by Ruth White | 10:56 AM | 4-28-2008

Personally, I would just settle for a spine transplant.

Sent by Marilyn Trujillo | 11:05 AM | 4-28-2008

What a great idea! It would be lovely to have a pain-free, energetic, nimble body but I would like to keep my mind the way it is, so that I don't lose the experiences. I don't want to make all of those mistakes again!! We love you, Leroy

Sent by Tina from Alton IL | 11:06 AM | 4-28-2008

Leroy,
Okay transplant your body, but don't worry about the hair. The hair is on your head and we don't want your head touched, not even one hair on your head. It is your insightful mind that we all appreciate. So leave your head alone. Take care.

Sent by Barb | 12:46 PM | 4-28-2008

Leroy, I am waiting for the day when Sears publishes a Catalog with new bodies and sundry parts. Wouldn't this be something, just a wish list of Hair and Abs. It may be too late for us, but someday. Have a good one, Stan

Sent by Stan Wozniak | 1:25 PM | 4-28-2008

Now there is one thing I wish I could for. With a Brain Tumour (GBM) no matter how good the body is it ain't going to help that old brain is going to continue shutting down the body slowly but surely,

Sent by Ian | 4:24 PM | 4-28-2008

A whole body transplant,hmmmm , interesting idea. I am reminded of something my Mother once said. " I don't want to be 16 again, but I sure wouldn't mind having that body back!"

Sent by Theresa lovin | 6:42 PM | 4-28-2008

Leroy, you got me at the 6-pack abs! I quite frankly have never seen my abs and don't expect to :) So we'll just keep on dreaming and keep our bodies going as best we can!

Sent by Dorothy - Los Angeles | 11:45 PM | 4-28-2008

Leroy,
When I was dx in 05 with rectal cancer I thought I'd lose my asshole. I thought that could be fun because people couldn't call me one. They'd say "hey asshole" and I could just turn and walk away merrily. So I am still an asshole because I still have mine. It's amazing how attached you get to it over the years. I take mine everywhere. I remember when coming out of the anesthea and the first thing I ask the doctor was if I lost my asshole. He just smiled and said that even if i did, I'd still be one. Comforting words. Now if I can get this cancer crap out of my lungs then I could breath easier about being an asshole.

Your thoughts?

Jeff

Sent by Jeff Young | 6:15 AM | 4-29-2008

You and me both! I'd like to be 6' 4", better-looking, no glasses, those six-pack abs, and, most of all, no cancer growing away like it is on fire.

I start more treatment Monday. I'm at the point where they feel safe using me in phase I trials, since I'm pretty far along my journey. I do still buy green bananas, but I don't buy IRAs anymore. Compound interest takes time, and that I don't have much of, sadly.

Acutally, forget the new body. Just get rid of my cancer!

Sent by Scott S. | 3:15 PM | 5-1-2008

hi leroy, keep the faith! its important to be positive in your ongoing battle. my wife fought the disease for close to 5 years but she always hope for the best outcome.

Sent by vincent ong | 1:13 PM | 5-11-2008