What Makes a Good Day?

Just another day. Back before I got sick, the days seemed to just blur together for the most part. I was working 15 hours a day, doing one broadcast after another. I'm not sure if I ever really took the time to ask myself if today was a good day.

I think I look at things differently now. We've talked about how cancer makes us realize how precious each day can be. How important it is to appreciate them all.

That doesn't mean that every day is going to be a good day. And when we say we try to live each day to the fullest, that can mean just about anything. When I was on chemo, sometimes just making it to the couch was enough to make it a good day.

So I guess today was a good day. I didn't do anything profound. Physical therapy this morning, and I'm not too sore this afternoon, so that's good. I struggle sometimes with the blog. I feel that I need to say something each day, something worthwhile. But sometimes all I really have to say is, "Hey, made it through another day."

That's not very profound or even thoughtful, but it is the overriding truth of the day. Today belonged to me, not to the Beast. Today is my day.

Leroy 1. Cancer 0.

Comments

Your words speak volumes. While you may tire of the blog, and what to say next, just having some connection with us, and indeed letting us know whatever the day brings for you is enough. Never feel you have to create a long blog, or have something spectacular to say. Just hearing from you is the best. Lets just keep "in touch". We all wait to hear from you! Hello, will do. :)
Prayers, Blessings and May The Grace Of God Be With You.

Sent by Wanda Amorose | 8:01 AM | 4-25-2008

It is ok not to have something profound to say!! Don't add to your stress by trying too hard. Just let it flow and if it is only just to say Hello or to report on the happenings of your day, that's enough. Some days the "well is dry" and on those rare days for you, just let us know that you are doing ok!

Have a good weekend, Prayers as always.

Sent by Al Cato | 8:07 AM | 4-25-2008

Bravo, Leroy. And sometimes that's all we need to hear...that you made it through another day. Because that in itself is a profound statement...and we would all understand!

Big hugs....

Sent by Faun | 8:08 AM | 4-25-2008

Leroy, don't ever struggle with the blog. I think we would all be happy to stop in here each day just to read
Cancer - 0

Sent by Sue in Rochester, NY | 8:11 AM | 4-25-2008

Leroy,
You are so right about the day to day outlook. My husband is in the hospital on a ventilator fighting blood clots caused by chemo most likely. Everyday we are either up or down depending on the numbers. I don't think the roller coaster ever takes a rest when you're dealing with cancer. Yes, it's great when you write something profound but we all understand that not every day is like that! God bless.

Sent by kathie | 8:14 AM | 4-25-2008

I really do like reading your spin on days and life. Some times, I feel like I am running so fast I am a blur. However, yesterday it occurred to me, I don't take time for myself. How did I figure that out? I was tired! Ok, so that really isn't a revelation, it is sometimes I don't think enough about me. I am always last on the list.

So, I made an appointment to have a 1 hour massage today. Not my norm, but so, it is 1 hour of me time. I must frequently remind myself of something dad would say when I needed to slow down. "Take time to smell the roses."

Have a great weekend Leroy, Laurie, and the rest of the LA. And for goodness sakes.... "SLOW DOWN AND TAKE TIME TO SMELL THE ROSES."

Sent by Sue Chap | 8:20 AM | 4-25-2008

no need to come up with something profound or exciting each day. its just nice to hear from you each day during coffee.

Sent by sarah | 8:23 AM | 4-25-2008

Maybe you should cut back to a four day a week blog. We'd miss you, but would be happy to know that you were enjoying yourself. Have a great weekend, Leroy.

Sent by Jen | 8:25 AM | 4-25-2008

GOOD SPRING MORNING LEROY! you will make a lot of us very happy today with your message. Oh, your daily talks do so much for so many and yes, I can see where they must be difficult to keep up with, although you are never boring. This is an experience in life for us all and we are sharing it. When I taught Art to the children, I realized how wonderful each, unfolding day and experience is to them. We get "jaded" as adults and that is a shame. To children, each new day and new thing is Brand new and they soak it up like a sponge! It re-juevinated me just to introduce them to something new each day. I loved it and learned a lot about myself to boot! You sound like that some days, Leroy. Like a man re-discovering himself and the world. Your new self is emerging out of it's cacoon. Have a great week end with those you love! "See" you Monday!

Sent by J C R | 8:28 AM | 4-25-2008

I think that is about as profound as it gets - "Today belonged to me, not to the Beast."

And a very happy day it was...

Sent by Robin L. Fairfax VA | 8:29 AM | 4-25-2008

Makes sense to me, Leroy. These days, for a variety of reasons, I'm just happy to make it from one day to the next, nothing more.

Sent by Gretchen Hoag | 8:31 AM | 4-25-2008

For what it's worth I can't recall a post from you that was not "worthwhile". Even the ones such as today's where the message is simply having lived another day relatively well. I too wonder if I ever stopped to assess my days bc (before cancer). I certainly do now. And although my body is still currently under attack by the disease, we seem to have it under control. My treatment is quite tolerable thanks to recent med changes. And dare I see I feel close to normal today.

So I smiled as I read your post this morning. Thank you a million for posting, even on these days. Keep it going through weekend.

Sent by J S M | 8:41 AM | 4-25-2008

Sasha, Am really sorry that your husband is in the hospital. I am keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Sent by Jen | 8:43 AM | 4-25-2008

Leroy,
What a great post. Every day belongs to each one of us, even though sometimes it may not seem that way. Through the good and the bad...we own the days. Have a good one...and a great weekend.

Sent by Kathleen, NJ | 8:45 AM | 4-25-2008

Don't worry about the perfect, intellectually stimulating blog every day. Most of us have pretty dull lives!

I really only want to know how you are doing. If on Monday you post: "Quiet weekend. Ate pie. Walked to mailbox without walker. Glass of wine with Laurie. Feeling OK." That would be more than enough for me.

Hope you eat pie, walk to the mailbox, have a glass of merlot and feel OK this weekend. I'm off to my high school reunion in New York state, so I am planning on having more than 1 glass... Cheers!

Liz

Sent by Liz L. | 8:48 AM | 4-25-2008

Leroy, checking the score with you in the lead is enough any day of the year! Whether your messages are long or short, you are an inspiration to me as a faithful reader. Thank you!

Sent by Kerry Miller | 8:48 AM | 4-25-2008

Hi Leroy,

You don't need to be profound everyday, even tho most times you are. We all just want to know how you are doing, really. A good day is very good. May you have more good days than bad,

Lianne

Sent by Lianne Friedman | 8:52 AM | 4-25-2008

Awesome! I imagine that people, in part, visit your blog so that they do not feel as alone. That can be everything. Thank you for writing each day. Enjoy the food!

Sent by Beth S. , Louisville, Ky | 8:53 AM | 4-25-2008

Dear Leroy, Your humor is wonderful. I look forward to reading your blog each morning. You have shared such intimate feelings of pain and discouragement. Now you must be feeling better as your humor shines through. I just went off of a walker after 3 months and am learning to walk with a cane. Not as easy but doable. I appreciate each new day and the spring blooms which are incredible this year. I hope you are able to continue the Blog. You bring encouragement to so many people. Thank you.

Sent by Carol | 9:00 AM | 4-25-2008

Awesome, Leroy! Keep winning.

Sent by Amy in NJ | 9:02 AM | 4-25-2008

Thats all we can do sometimes, is get through the day. It IS a profound thing i believe. Take what you can get.

Sent by Jenn | 9:06 AM | 4-25-2008

Leroy, Great job! Leroy 1 and cancer 0. I think that was a fantastic day. You don't have to be on the run doing things for a day to be lived to the fullest. Just a day when you can sit back and enjoy the day or as you say get through it with out cancer takeing front and center.

We all appreciate you, and your telling it like it is.

Sasha, you and your husband are also in our thoughts and prayers.

Sent by dorothy in oregon | 9:16 AM | 4-25-2008

Leroy,
All I need to hear from you is that you made through another day with a winning score!
Charlotte in Rural Ridge, PA

Sent by Charlotte Kewish | 9:27 AM | 4-25-2008

Leroy,

Don't be profound - be you. That's what we want. I, for one, would not like to think you had any angst over this blog. Just let us know how you are. I like the score card for yesterday!

Blessings.

Sent by Diana Kitch | 9:36 AM | 4-25-2008

Hey Leroy, am adding to the score card... if you've been diagnozed since Dec 02 I figure it's (drum roll here folks)
Leroy 1940 - Cancer 0
Y E A H !!!!
all our best to you all, happy Spring

Sent by Stitches | 9:40 AM | 4-25-2008

Hey Leroy - may I intrude on YOUR DAY!?! it is another day that you got up and did some of the things that YOU WANTED TO DO!! Definitely nothing that you had planned to be doing 5 or 10 years ago - but in the past few years I presume that this day was better than some others! Take care of you and know that we are all loving you and praying for you. And, yes, you are a totally incredible person. Just thought, when I was sick (hip surgeries and infections) friends would call JUST TO CHECK UP and there was nothing at all to say - I am here - whatever - and you know, THAT IS A GOOD THING. G-d bless you and have a good weekend.

Janice Goldberg White

Sent by Janice Goldberg White | 9:44 AM | 4-25-2008

Another day is an achievement in itself. I have become addicted to yor blog and check it (and you) almost every day. Have a cookie and count it as a good day.

Sent by marilyn tanaka | 9:53 AM | 4-25-2008

Yeah!! I have all the windows open today and the birds are singing. What could be better than that?

Sent by Kristy Manning | 10:04 AM | 4-25-2008

No worries, we are just happy to get a quick update. In fact, uneventful in this situation is really good. I wish you and everyone here a peaceful day filled with many big and small things to appreciate.

Today is exactly one year since we lost my brother in law Pete. We still think of him just about every day. Today, I am focusing on appreciation of all the joy he brought to this world. We miss him so much.

Sent by Nichole | 10:07 AM | 4-25-2008

Leroy - I enjoy reading your daily posts but if you just posted a big "HELLO - I AM DOING GOOD" on some days - that would be fine too.

Sent by Deb from Michigan | 10:07 AM | 4-25-2008

GOOD MORNING Leroy,

Interesting the way things turn out sometimes. I acutally think this was one of the most profound entries you might have possibly written. How we all take days/people/time for granted - until something goes wrong. Only then do we seem to grasp the full beauty of the day/person/experience. It is unfortunate how this works. I have a saying I look at every day - Begin each day as if it were on purpose. It's a wonderful thought. Don't know how successful I am at living it on a daily basis. Maybe this is just the human condition. Not that cancer or suffering is a gift(AT ALL) - but, it does make you look at things differently. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Sent by ses | 10:10 AM | 4-25-2008

What a great message you send--make today as good as it can be. You don't have yesterday, you don't have tomorrow, you have only today.

Sent by Celeste | 10:47 AM | 4-25-2008

Your generous sharing of this experience is inspiring...even on those nothing special" days.

Have a good week-end, rest and enjoy family/friends (and some good food too).

Peggy

Sent by Peggy | 10:54 AM | 4-25-2008

Way to go Leroy. Any day you are the winner and not the beast, it is a "GREAT" day. I hope you and Laurie have a great weekend and do something fun and relaxing. Love to all.

Sent by Teresa in WV | 10:57 AM | 4-25-2008

Leroy, all we need is to hear just what you said, I made it through another day. Starts off the morning right whether it was a good day or a bad day. Good days, bad days, just another one of many so as someone noted above, enjoy today!

Sent by Jenene K./AZ | 11:08 AM | 4-25-2008

Leroy,
Your blog is the second thing I look at when I come to work in the morning, the first being my bank account. So I guess you know where my priorities are. Keep up your blog only if it's only a word or two, it would be greatly missed.

Sent by Barb | 11:21 AM | 4-25-2008

Happy spring Leroy,
I agree with "Sue" in Rochester; Just to see cancer-0 anyday would make any of us, fighting the beast, smile.
You have a world wide army in spirit!
Cindy, Green Bay

Sent by Cindy | 11:21 AM | 4-25-2008

Leroy:Sometime just talking about the day,season or weather is enough. Just to hear from you is fine.

Sent by Hal | 11:43 AM | 4-25-2008

"I had a good day" is extremely profound. Hope there are many more ahead for you.

My husband and I just returned from our first trip to Maui where we enjoyed many good days away from Cancer World. One misty afternoon brought us a full rainbow - a beautiful reminder that most days have something to appreciate if we keep our eyes and hearts open.

Happy weekend to you and Laurie!

Sent by Patte | 11:55 AM | 4-25-2008

You do a great service for all us through your blog. It is a wake-up call, even for those of us who aren't sick at the moment. Tomorrow is promised to no one. Those of us who currently enjoy good health never know when that may change. As I'm in my early 60s now, I no longer put so many things into the future -- "Someday I'll . . ." So please, Leroy, try to find some pleasure, no matter how small, in each day. And know that so many people care about you, wish the best for you, and pray for you.

Sent by Kathy | 12:11 PM | 4-25-2008

True friendship comes when silence between two people is comfortable.
- Dave Tyson Gentry

Just knowing you are out there is enough.

Sent by Linda | 12:12 PM | 4-25-2008

Dear Leroy,

I sometimes have the same problem you speak about today - coming up with a meaningful, or encouraging, or in my wildest dreams - profound - comment when I post an entry. Not that I think anyone is hanging on MY words, but anyway, that's why many days, I do not post, only read and check up on you and others. I have simply nothing to say on those days except that I am so happy that you are still in there giving cancer HECK, and that I hope and pray that your pain will ease and you will win this fight in the long term as well. You and others. I like to see cancer's butt kicked to the curb, in whatever way you can accomplish it, for just a day, for an hour, or forever. Have the best weekend you can. Love to you and Laurie.

Prayers for everyone for healing, comfort and strength.

Sent by Connie | 12:24 PM | 4-25-2008

The fact you write ANYTHING and keep this blog active is profound enough.

Life is in the small details.

Sent by Elly | 12:39 PM | 4-25-2008

What makes a good day? I hurt most of the time, and I am afraid to do much of anything when I feel half decent for fear of bringing on pain. However, each time I walk in or out of my front door, I see the flower beds that need attention. I finally bought a dozen plants and put them in. It was exhausting, but the pain was not as bad as I expected. It was a good day. I put in another dozen plants today, and I am fairly crippled as a result. Today is a good day too. Those 2 dozen plants may turn to sticks over the next few weeks, but I will look at them all summer and remember 2 good days, then smile.

I could have hired a landscaper or paid a local teenager to put them in. It wouldn't be the same.

What makes a good day? I can't describe it, but I know it when I see it.

May you see it often.

Sent by Gary | 12:49 PM | 4-25-2008

Please,please do not "struggle" with this blog - Just signing in "Leroy" is enough! Please enjoy your weekend, and each and every day!

Sent by Lucy | 1:25 PM | 4-25-2008

Hi Leroy, I have been following your blog for awhile. Although this is my first time response, I just want to say thank you for being so strong for us all. Please take it easy this weekend and just focus on living with your loved one. And remember to do it to the glory of God.

Sent by Donato Salazar | 1:29 PM | 4-25-2008

Sasha,
My prayers are with you and your husband. Take care.

Sent by bettye | 1:37 PM | 4-25-2008

Leroy,

I agree with all of the above...any post from you is a gem. Finding something to hang a "good" sign on in every day is how I've been living my life ever since The Beast invaded in early 2006. I found it amazing how this little thing can change so many of ways I've reacted to so many different situations ever since.

Sasha, My thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband as you go through this latest complication together.

Sending thoughts to Eileen Pruyne also. She's been a regular (and upbeat) poster for quite some time. But, now she is undergoing a new clinical trial treatment using a VEGF Trap, with some noticeable side effects. Hang in there, Eileen. We are sending healing thoughts to you and Tom. We will be here when you feel well enough to post again.

To Gary who posted above, your aches from planting today are just why the phrase "it hurts so good" had to be invented.

Have a great weekend, all. Keep The Beast in its cage.

Sent by Sheara | 2:11 PM | 4-25-2008

To all...............thank you for all your kind wishes. May God bless us all.

Sent by sasha321 | 3:34 PM | 4-25-2008

Years ago there was a good "What Was Godd About Today" - written by a mom. Her daughter had leukemia and they decided to find one good thing - even on the most lousy day - to think about. I do not have cancer, but when the blues hit and hit hard, I am drawn back to that book, that mother and daughter and think about ONE good thing. YOU! thought of the one good thing today. With all you've endured and suffered - you lift me up!!

Sent by kathryn | 3:39 PM | 4-25-2008

Leroy, I have a friend, who at 83 says "everyday above ground is a good day." I probably won't see 83, I will be lucky to see 63, but today is another day, and it is good. I talk with you, you had a good day. I guess having another day is all I need. I don't count, it's just good to be around. Good weekend to you. Stan

Sent by Stan Wozniak | 3:47 PM | 4-25-2008

Just this morning I was talking to a co worker about our prospective treatments and scans, and we were saying how it has all become a big bore. When I first started with treatments and scans I was so worried and anxious for treatment that it was well, at least somewhat interesting to me, if not to anyone else. These days it is just part of life and a great big BORE. And you know what? This is is a good thing. It reminds me of an old Chinese curse (at least that is what I was told it is) " May you have an interesting life". Boring and unispired is a good thing. Sometimes "nothing new" is a very, very good thing and accounts for a very, very good day.

Sent by Theresa Lovin | 4:51 PM | 4-25-2008

Leroy,
The best thing you can say is just, here I am, I made it to another day and I'm going to make this day good in whatever way I can according to my own scale. You're doing great and just being here is enough for most of us!
Have a fabulous weekend!

Sent by cindy | 5:31 PM | 4-25-2008

As someone has said already. Cancer - 0 is profound enough!!
Lots of positive vibes and best wishes coming your way from Seattle.

Sent by Chandana | 5:48 PM | 4-25-2008

Hi Leroy, please don't think that what you say is not profound or worthwhile. I look forward to reading your blog each day just to see how you are doing. You don't have to say anything extraordinary. It is good to see someone else going through some of the same things we deal with each day with or without cancer. And you do that. You make ME feel normal by the things you write about even if you think it is mundane. I don't want you to feel like you HAVE to write, but I think you know by the amount of mail you get how important you are to so many people. Thank you for sharing this difficult time in your life with us.

Sent by Susan Saoui | 6:11 PM | 4-25-2008

Boy do I agree with everyone today! Bless all who read and comment via this website...all thanks to you Leroy. Your words touch our heart..THAT's what is important :-)

Sent by Jo Ann Baswell-Margate, FL | 7:07 PM | 4-25-2008

Don't feel you have to put too much thought into your blog. I like hearing about the little things...having a bowl of cereal for breakfast, taking a walk around the block, etc. Knowing you're back to doing the mundane things in life would be wonderful to share!

Sent by ehertzfeld | 10:34 PM | 4-25-2008

Leroy,

Count me as one of those who start the day by checking this blog.

And if it was just a couple lines - preferably, "It's a nice day. I'm going to enjoy it now." is all you feel like writing, that's okay too.

Enjoy the weekend with Laurie.

Sent by Marie | 10:41 PM | 4-25-2008

Leroy,
You don't have to say something profound or thought provoking everyday...you just have to say something!
That's the way it was with Melody...just say something (and tell Laurie everyday you love her) as Melody did with me!!

Sent by Michael (Caregiver Survivor) | 12:37 AM | 4-26-2008

Hi Leroy,
Just look at what you started! I never even knew what a blog was. Now it almost has a life of its own. Keeping in touch is enough. A few words and people will pick up the ball. How does that song go--"Don't want clever conversation, never want to work that hard". Have a great weekend, Leroy, and all blogger friends.

Sent by Paulette | 12:48 AM | 4-26-2008

Leroy,
We're your friends, supporters, family. We don't want you to feel any pressure to write something profound or to struggle. Are you kidding? I am humbled by your ability to write and communicate. I am thrilled to hear it was your day and Leroy 1 Cancer 0. Thanks for the smile as I head to bed.
I hope tomorrow is another Leroy day. You are wonderful.
Goodnight. Jen

Sent by Jennifer in CA | 2:29 AM | 4-26-2008

Enjoy each day for what it is and don't worry about profound. I would be happy to check in here and just read that you're enjoying your day and have nothing more to say.

Yesterday I ran into a wall of exhaustion, three years out of treatment, that I'm pretty sure wouldn't have arisen quite so overwhelmingly before cancer--although I *have* had a busy couple of weeks.

I gave up what I had planned for the late afternoon and early evening and napped, then sat and read a book with all the windows open, listening to the birds. I was grateful for that. Three years ago, in the throes of treatment, a good day WAS making it to the couch. The trick to a good day, I think, is not wanting more than you have at the moment. And some days that is easier than others.

Sent by N.R. | 6:36 AM | 4-26-2008

Leroy, who can say something profound every day? I appreciate your humor and your determination. For my son, Andrew, it's cancer: 500000 Andrew 0. That's how I feel. He is now bedridden, with all that implies, no appetite, numb hands, deaf in one ear, sleeps alot. Some day to enjoy for a 35 year old man. Fortunately, hospice is a great help. There is not battle with these overwhelming odds - just attempts to keep my dear son comfortable. Imagine people don't appreciate this down e-mail but one has to face reality. I look forward to reading your e-mails everyday, Leroy.

Sent by Maureen | 9:05 AM | 4-26-2008

My day is incomplete if I haven't checked in on your blog - it doesn't matter what you write. Blogs like today's are sometimes the most comforting. The lack of some event to blog about is a good thing - it means there is not a crisis or major medical emergency or procedure to deal with. In my book, that's a good day. Hope the weather's good and you get out and enjoy some spring sunshine!

Sent by Marcia Greer | 9:42 AM | 4-26-2008

Leroy, I'm only two days late on this, but thank you for your 4/25 blog. It was profound. Your sharing with us all means so much.

Sent by Nancy Abbott | 11:00 AM | 4-26-2008

Leroy,
I just found about about your blog in our local newspapers. My husband was diagnosed with stage 4 Colon Cancer in Dec.'07 - He (we) are going through Chemo, fatigue,blood clots, etc. My prayers to you and all going through this disease. I look forward to reading your thoughts

Sent by Bobbie | 11:41 AM | 4-26-2008

Leroy, your blog *is profound - sometimes the simplest words are the most complex and inspiring. Just to know you're still fighting and still winning is exciting enough for me!
Take care,
Jan

Sent by Jan Hardy | 11:55 AM | 4-26-2008

Leroy,

The we first "met" you stated this disease will take your life. That part is a given at this point. Never downlplay the hope and joy you give all of us each day to just be able to know you are just breathing. I face the reality and brevity of this "relationship" just like all my friends who I have never personally stood face-to-face with yet love dearly that all have shared the same common thread of cancer. I know life is terminal and some day I will no longer hear from my dear friend Leroy.

Let me paraphrase Anita Bryant and tell you "A day without [Leroy] is like a day without sunhine!" May the sun shine brightly today on everyone as it does when I know you just made it to the couch on a given day. You are the greatest inspiration and you chose to take the time through it all to share the love.

God Bless.

Sent by Ed Brown | 12:00 PM | 4-26-2008

Congratulations, Leroy. You are now adapting and achieving it quite well.

I haven't commented in a while, but I haven't been far away and have followed your posts every day.

I've been trying to integrate old hobbies and general life back in my daylight hours, if I can do them, while trying to keep allergies under control.

My cancer apparently is still in remission and I realized that it has almost been a year since the last cycle of chemo. Somehow I don't think the old saying "Time flys when you are having fun," applies here at all, but there is pure joy finding that my brain didn't lose as much as it felt like it did during chemo. My memory was horrible during chemo especially the short-term, but that is improved.

When people ask me how I am these days, my reply is simply, "I'm alive." They seem startled at first, then relieved at that and most of the time it catches them off guard and I'll get a smile out of them. Oh, if I wanted to I could list a few things for them, but I do not and I will not. I save that for later, if later comes around.

There are better things to do like rediscovering old things I can still do and discovering new things that I can do.

We count our many blessings. They are right in front of us, or within us, or may come in the form of people and animals. Some of those blessings are not painless either, but they are there, we just have to learn to recognize them.

God Bless Us Everyone,
Bobbie in Texs

Sent by Bobbie Hollis | 11:24 PM | 4-26-2008

Leroy, Don't use your energy stressing over this blog. Just a "hey,I'm here" is all I need. I read you every day. You're like a good friend I have never met. You are just a nice soft spot in my day. Kathie

Sent by Kathie Scott | 2:43 AM | 4-27-2008

Just a simple, "Hi, gang! Have a good day everyone." would be plenty, eh?

However, if you want to create some dialogue, how about a question of the day? You pose the question; we'll answer. Then, all you have to do is sit back and read.

Sent by Linnea | 6:11 AM | 4-27-2008

Sunday and thinking of you Leroy. Hope you were able to sleep well last nite. I was awake for hours thinking of my son and our relationship. Visit isn't so comforting to him even though I speak little. It seems parents get on their grown children's nerves even when they are well. Spring is so lovely here in Virginia. NASCAR is on today - something Andrew enjoys. I hope you are able to enjoy something on tv and have a good day.

Sent by maureen | 7:33 AM | 4-27-2008

Dear Leroy,
I find encouragement in all your post. I read them every day. Your daily post mean a great deal to me. Thank you for honesty, sincerity, for sharing your thoughts and feelings, and for allowing us all to be a part of your life.
Eileen Stage IIIB CC 11/04

Sent by Eileen Peacock | 2:59 PM | 4-27-2008

Beautiful!!! May every day be a good day.....

Sent by Suzanne Lindley | 8:20 AM | 4-28-2008

Good Morning Leroy-
You have inspired me!

Last night, I wrote my first blog as a forty-one year old, mother-of-two, five-year cancer survivor. Phew---lots of hyphens.

Simply wanted to say thank you for your daily words brave man.

I hope my journey can provide you some entertainment: http://555walk.blogspot.com/

Kari

Sent by Kari Worth | 10:11 AM | 4-28-2008

Leroy,

Any day that you post "Good Day" or actually post at all is a profound statement of a good day to all us out here checking in each day.

Sent by Geoff | 3:06 PM | 4-28-2008

Dear Mr. Sievers,

I read you e-mails every day and was very impressed when you mentioned religion and death and not having the fear of death.

I lost my dad 2 months ago. He was 86, a Marine who fought in four major battles in World War II and a devout Christian.

He had a near-death experience about 6 years ago. He was diabetic and his left leg needed to be amputated. Before they could schedule it in the hospital, he had a heart attack. They lost his heart beat and had to work to get him back. After it was over, one of the nurses came out and she was crying. She said that Dad had his arms up in the air and was naming us. Then he said, "Tell my family I love them, but I have to go." It was then that the doctor brought him back. He recovered, had his leg amputated and came home. He tried to describe his experience, but it was hard to explain in mere language. He said that 2 beautiful beings were on each side of him, helping him and that it was like he was pedaling a bike.

Our Mom was sick at this time also, so the family decided to take turns staying with them. I stayed during the weekdays after work. I would watch TV with them in the evenings after supper. They had adopted a stray cat. They named him Mr. Greybeard and he was one of the meanest cats I had ever seen, He would swat at you if you came too near. I was really afraid of him. After I started staying with Mom and Dad, Mr. Greybeard decided he wanted to sleep on my lap in the evenings. I just sat there and didn't move. Eventually, I started rubbing his head and, needless to say, we became fast friends.

About a year after Dad came home, we lost our Mom suddenly. We were all devastated and Dad really grieved. He comforted himself by reading the letters they wrote to each other during the war. It was just him, me and Mr. Greybeard in the evenings. I admired the courage and strength Dad showed as he grieved for his "sweetheart of 60 years" and we found comfort being together. We were so close.

As time went on, Mr. Greybeard started showing signs of weakness and lost weight. On one weekend, when I was at my home, my niece took him to the vet. There wasn't anything they could do and Mr. Greybeard had to be put down.

It really broke my heart. The next Monday, I had to go to Dad's for the first time without our old grey cat there. I could feel Dad watching me after dinner and I could feel his compassion for me. I knew he was thinking if I grieved for old Greybeard like that, how would I be when he was gone. We sat there for awhile and then he just said "Honey, don't ever be afraid to die. There's nothing to it."

I've never forgotten that. I was there when he died and he went peacefully. Instead of sadness, we were thanking God for him

I've also faced cancer; I had thyroid cancer 13 years ago, but am doing well now.

Two days after Dad's funeral, I was diagnosed with a skin condition that could turn in to lymphoma. I will be seeing a doctor at Duke University just to see if we should be more aggressive in my treatment.

I am a Christian and I believe God will help me through the rest of my journey here. Dad set an example of love and courage and goodness that I hope I can leave to my family when it is my time to go.

I usually don't send e-mails, but I just wanted to share this with you. It has made me see life and death in a whole new way.

I just want to say I admire you for the endurance, strength and candor you have shown in this battle of yours. Dad would be proud of you.

You're in my prayers.

Sincerely,

Phyllis Harbin

Sent by Phyllis Harbin | 11:42 AM | 4-29-2008

LEROY 1, CANCER ZERO.

Wishing you a string of those, say, every day for a year? what a blessing that would be, for you, and for all of us who love you.

Sent by Shawna Ramsey, Reno, NV | 3:16 PM | 4-29-2008