Scan Day, Yet Again

Back into the fight.

For the last five or six months, we've been concentrating on my spine, trying to repair the damage done by the cancer. I still have a long way to go on that front. But it seemed like the cancer itself took a back seat for a while. We haven't been attacking it, just trying to undo its effects.

Today we're going to concentrate on just the cancer. I'm going to have a CT scan of my chest and abdomen. We know there are small tumors in my lungs.

They've been there for a while, but they've been too small to worry about. Well, it's probably time to worry about them now.

I'm also going to have a brain MRI. That's just something we do periodically to make sure nothing has come back in my head.

If we do find something, I'm not sure what the next step will be. I've done chemo, radiation, RFA, chryoablation, vertebroplasty, corepectomy, and I'm sure some others that I've forgotten.

I don't think there are a lot of options left. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Today is another scan day. What we do next will be determined by what we see.

We've all been through this before. All you can do is be patient and wait for the results.

Comments

Leroy,
I pray that the scans will indicate that the tumors have not grown. Hope that you will enjoy your weekend.

Sent by Jen | 7:21 AM | 6-6-2008

one scan, one day at a time Leroy!

hope the results are better than the doctors are expecting.

Sent by Jenn | 7:21 AM | 6-6-2008

At the risk of sounding mundane and ineloquent, but not knowing that yet because comments are not yet posted, may I say good luck with the scans today. Blessings, Joyce

Sent by Joyce Smith | 7:23 AM | 6-6-2008

Soldier on Leroy, we are praying for you! Many Hugs coming your way!

Sent by JBM | 7:26 AM | 6-6-2008

good luck leroy!!!!!!!!!!! you are in my prayers !!!!! annette purdy

Sent by annette purdy | 7:30 AM | 6-6-2008

Hi Leroy,
It's been awhile since I wrote to you. I'm glad you still have your attitude, Champ. Yea, scan days are long, but it is about you. And just like this blog, we all need to know the truth.
I pray the day goes good for you.
Remember, do it all to God's glory.

Sent by Donato Salazar | 7:40 AM | 6-6-2008

I will be thinking of you throughout the day.

Sent by Liz L. | 7:44 AM | 6-6-2008

Leroy and Laurie, I will be thinking about you all day (just like all the other days). Godspeed.

Sent by Susan | 7:50 AM | 6-6-2008

And many prayers are being sent your way today, and for everyone else, getting "scanned". And we prayer for God to give you extra patience as you wait for results. That can be the testing time.
Prayers,
Wanda Amorose

Sent by Wanda Amorose | 7:56 AM | 6-6-2008

Praying for you today as always.

Hugs to you and Laurie.

Sent by Lori | 7:57 AM | 6-6-2008

Scan time is always a nervous time! The uncertainty of it all is difficult to deal with. Most of us have had good news as a result of the scans as well as bad news. I am praying for some good news for you and Laurie! I remain hopeful.

Sent by Al Cato | 7:59 AM | 6-6-2008

Sending positive thoughts and good ju-ju. Stay focused and enjoy the first heat wave of the summer.

Sent by anne lumberger | 8:00 AM | 6-6-2008

need to join the group of people who will be thinking about you and sending prayers throughtout the day and the weekend. much love and prayers

janice goldberg white

Sent by janice goldberg white | 8:06 AM | 6-6-2008

Dear Leroy, I shall be thinking of you all weekend and hoping that you shall receive some encouraging news from the new scans. You will probably feel better to be moving toward getting some answers again. I
too,want to know what I am fighting and what, if anything, can be done about it. I believe that you do not like inactivity of any kind. Thank you so much for keeping us informed and we shall await your next message after this weekend. Leroy and Laurie, may you have a good one!

Sent by J C R | 8:09 AM | 6-6-2008

Good luck Leroy. Hope you get good results.

Sent by Irene | 8:28 AM | 6-6-2008

Leroy and Laurie, it is going to be very crowded in those treatment rooms with the spirits of the members of Leroy's Army there with you! Hopefully they bring comfort. lac

Sent by Lou Ann Caywood | 8:35 AM | 6-6-2008

My motto is "be prepared for the worst and expect the Best". It sounds like you are in that same place.

God Bless and Good Luck. There are *always* options, we just may not know what they are yet.

Doodles of hugs all around,
Ann

Sent by Ann Van Tassell | 8:39 AM | 6-6-2008

Leroy:
Ups, downs,
They don't exist in this moment in time,
For now, Just Be.

Cares and woes?
Don't worry,They'll still be there,
For now, Just Be.

Namaste, Don

Sent by don winslow | 8:42 AM | 6-6-2008

I think I've quoted Gilda Radner before, but as Roseanne Roseannadanna said, "It's always something!" I'll be thinking of you during this day of machines and poking and prodding.

My reconstruction surgery was a year ago this week - passing any milestone always feels good!

Sent by Gretchen Hoag | 8:44 AM | 6-6-2008

Leroy,
As I have to constantly remind myself, don't worry until you have something definitive to worry about. God bless.

Sent by kathie | 9:02 AM | 6-6-2008

Leroy, Sending good thoughts your way today. We've all been there and you know we're hoping for good news. Try to chill and enjoy your weekend.

Sent by Ann from Michigan | 9:03 AM | 6-6-2008

Leroy,

Prayers and good wishes to you,

Lianne

Sent by Lianne Friedman | 9:03 AM | 6-6-2008

I will be thinking about you today, and hoping that all goes well for you with the scans -

Sent by Dorothy | 9:07 AM | 6-6-2008

May God wrap His loving arms around you and be with you at this time Leroy. One day at a time...

God bless you.

Judy

Sent by Judy Voller | 9:08 AM | 6-6-2008

Good luck Leroy!

Sent by Judy | 9:09 AM | 6-6-2008

Best to you today Leroy and Laurie.... There never seems an easy day.

To all I hope you have a restful weekend.

Sent by Sue Chap | 9:14 AM | 6-6-2008

Dude, we're thinking about you today. Just like everyday. All the best.

Dave

Sent by Dave Somers | 9:16 AM | 6-6-2008

Leroy and all, your always in my prayers and never far from my thoughts! Have a peaceful weekend!

Sent by Laurie Hirth | 9:17 AM | 6-6-2008

Leroy

I DESPISE scans days...I'm sure everyone here does as well. Just try to keep your head up; I know it's hard. I'll be thinking and praying for you and Laurie, especially today. Hoping for good news...hugs!!!

Sent by Tess from KY | 9:26 AM | 6-6-2008

I am lifting up clear karma and heartfelt prayers for you today, your scan day. We are with you always. Love from Sherri in TX, BC dx 4-06

Sent by Sherri Eggleston | 9:31 AM | 6-6-2008

Hoping and praying you get good results, Leroy! Dad had his scans last Monday and we'll be getting results this Monday, and he also has his long, all day chemo drip this Monday--first day of 4th cycle of total of 6 cycles, then no further treatment. He has stage 4 small cell carcinoma. Have a great weekend Leroy, and everyone here!

Sent by Linda Lee | 9:36 AM | 6-6-2008

My thoughts are with you and Laurie and this always stressful day - scan day.

Sent by Marcia | 9:38 AM | 6-6-2008

Dear Leroy,
I've never posted before but have been following your blog and just wanted you to know that you are always in my prayers.

Sent by Donna G. | 9:48 AM | 6-6-2008

We live our lives from scan to scan. Even when we're symptom free, scan day and the days following are filled with anxiety until we get the report. May your report have only good news.

Sent by Dave Jenkins | 9:53 AM | 6-6-2008

I wish you as much peace as possible as you move through this day.

Sent by Beth S. , Louisville, Ky | 9:59 AM | 6-6-2008

Good luck Leroy. I'll be thinking about you all day.

Sent by Lisa | 10:02 AM | 6-6-2008

Addibg my best wishes for a painless day and an attention diverting week-end...waiting for results can sometimes harder than dealing with them!

Peggy

Sent by Peggy | 10:08 AM | 6-6-2008

Hi Leroy,
I hope the scans come back showing no noticeable changes, no increase, no new lesions. I'm sure you hope the same thing of course...and I continue to hope your discomfort goes away

Sent by Alycia Keating | 10:13 AM | 6-6-2008

Time for nail biting. Spread some chocolate on them to make it more bearable.

As always, I join everyone in hoping for good news. Breathe slowly in the meantime and enjoy the hot, humid summer weekend the best way possible.

Sent by Sara (MD) | 10:21 AM | 6-6-2008

Good Morning Leroy, Laurie and All,

Leroy, I just want to add my voice to all the others in wishing and praying that you will get the best of news from your scans! We are all here with you and Laurie.

Laurie, I know this is yet another anxious day for you. But let your fears rest on our shoulders, we are here!

To All, My prayers are always with everyone in this community as we move forward together. May we live in HOPE, rejoyce in LAUGHTER and grow strong through LOVE! God Bless!

Eileen Pruyne
Charlotte, NC

Sent by Eileen Pruyne | 10:26 AM | 6-6-2008

Now you've made me nervous again! We'll all be anxiously waiting to hear.

Sent by Susan | 10:28 AM | 6-6-2008

Dear Leroy,
I don't write often but read your blog every day. What a comfort to be able to read what you have to say about your journey and then to read the comments from others on this journey. I think about you often and pray for you daily. You are always close at heart. Keep Breathing!

Sent by Beth | 10:33 AM | 6-6-2008

Scanxiety creeps up on me sometimes. I find myself getting irritable when really, I'm worried. I rationalize that after so many scans, I'm not nervous anymore. At least I get benadryl before since I am allergic to the CT contrast. That takes a bit of the edge off.
I wish you only the very best: If not shrinkage, than stability. May your MRI be clean and you get your results quickly. Big hug of support and have a nice weekend.

Sent by NancyGM | 10:35 AM | 6-6-2008

I'm right with you Leroy, I have a pet scan tomorrow. After RFA, lung surgery and chemoembolization (these just since January) I was down to one small lung tumor, which couldn't be RFA'd because of its location. We haven't done anything since then so we will see what surprises we have tomorrow. Good thoughts and positive energy go with you today. dos

Sent by Dona | 10:38 AM | 6-6-2008

With all my heart, I'm hoping and praying that today's scans will bring good news, Leroy.

Sent by Doris | 11:05 AM | 6-6-2008

Dear Leroy,

Love and prayers are with you and Laurie. I HATE these scan days! My best to you, always.

Sent by Connie | 11:19 AM | 6-6-2008

Leroy,

Been there done that. May you take comfort in knowing that many, many people are praying for you. It'll all be good :)

LiveStrong,

Lisa Majors

Sent by Lisa Majors | 11:21 AM | 6-6-2008

Leroy,

LiveStrong,

Lisa Majors

Sent by Lisa Majors | 11:21 AM | 6-6-2008

Leroy,

I'm hoping for the best possible outcome. Hang in there, friend.

Sent by Diana Kitch | 11:21 AM | 6-6-2008

My wishes and prayers are joined with those of so many others, today and every day, for YOU, friend Leroy. May this day be, as our kids would say, "... all good".

Kim Forester

Sent by Kim Forester | 11:22 AM | 6-6-2008

Hey Leroy
Good luck with the tests. Hope everything goes ok and you get the outcome you hope for.
Let me ask you a question to ponder this weekend. If you were to find that the C was gone completely and you were cured. Knowing what you now know, how would your life going forward be different, or would it?
peace and love to you and yours and everyone else on this board who is suffering.

Sent by Fay | 11:23 AM | 6-6-2008

Dear Leroy,
I've been reading your posts since my husband was diagnosed with bladder cancer last year. You've been an amazing inspiration and I wish you all the best.
You are a hero to me and to so many others as well.
I wish you all the best and you are in my thoughts.

Sent by Ilene Davidson | 11:30 AM | 6-6-2008

Leroy and Laurie, I think of you both often, and I will think of you extra today and over the coming days. May your scans go smoothly and your news be as good as possible.

Sent by Leslie | 11:33 AM | 6-6-2008

Leroy and Laurie - wishing you peace for your mind, body and soul.

Sent by Patte | 11:55 AM | 6-6-2008

I'll be thinking of you today, Leroy, hoping the news will be encouraging.

Sent by Sharon | 11:57 AM | 6-6-2008

I had scans last month on a Thursday morning. The head office nurse who usually makes the call was leaving for a long weekend so before she left the office late Thursday afternoon she called to say the scans were fine thereby relieving me of three days of anxiety. Very thoughtful. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Leroy.

Bob A.

Sent by Bob A. | 12:02 PM | 6-6-2008

Leroy & Laurie, I am sending good wishes your way. The waiting for scan results is so difficult as well. Sending huge balloons filled with friendship and care!

Sent by Ann | 12:10 PM | 6-6-2008

Scan Day, always a big day. I sincerely hope your lungs are clear enough to not need treatments. I'm thinking of you, hang on Leroy.
BTW, today is a good day to play the cancer card for good parking!

Sent by Debra in New Hampshire | 12:37 PM | 6-6-2008

Prayers coming your way.

Sent by Wendy | 12:43 PM | 6-6-2008

I said a little prayer for you.
(((Cyber Hugs)))

Sent by LisaAnniePants | 1:37 PM | 6-6-2008

Leroy and Laurie, you will both be in my thoughts and prayers. Try to keep busy over weekend and enjoy as you can.

Sent by dorothy in oregon | 2:36 PM | 6-6-2008

Just wondering with all these treatment modalities if you are in hospice or did you decide against it?

Sent by Cherie Brown, Tucson | 3:03 PM | 6-6-2008

I too am in scan mode these days. We use PET/CT and also brain MRI for me. Still, the fact that your recent posts haven't obsessed over your upcoming scans scheduled for today I hope suggests that you're in a place where it no longer hijaks your thoughts. After a year and a half of living with stage IV cancer myself, I'm finally able to stuff a good bit of the scanxiety between scans. At least for a period of time. And you have truly been an insipiration. I mean that sincerely. Here's hoping and praying for some stability on your scan results. Thank you again for you candor.

Sent by J S M | 3:19 PM | 6-6-2008

Leroy, You have been in my prayers and thoughts throughout today and will continue to be tonight. I hope the scans prove the 'beast' is not active.

Love,

Graham from Sag Harbor.

Sent by Graham G. Hawks | 3:56 PM | 6-6-2008

I don't think there is anything harder than living through the waiting to hear. Time hangs heavy, like a giant immovable cloud.

Still, as someone said, sometimes the results are not as bad as we'd imagine. Sometimes they are even okay, even good.

After we hear the results of the scan we go back to "regular life as we know it." We make our plan with the doctors and we do what we have to do.

But the waiting........... a special kind of torture.

Sent by Nancy Oliveri | 4:09 PM | 6-6-2008

Leroy, Just know that while you are lying there in the scanner and having the other tests done that even though you may feel very alone at those moments you are surrounded by the most positive thoughts and prayers from us. Hang in there.

Janie

Sent by Janie | 4:10 PM | 6-6-2008

Leroy, I am there with you. I hope and pray the results are good. You have a good weekend. Talk Monday. Stan

Sent by Stan Wozniak | 4:52 PM | 6-6-2008

Leroy, I read your blog as often as I can. I will be praying for good results. My little boy Levi was dx with medulloblastoma at age 4 - he had a clean MRI Wednesday, so we will be wishing the same for you. My dad is also a two times colon cancer survivor.

You can see pictures of Levi at his website - www3.caringbridge.org/va/levi

Take care and have a wonderful weekend!

Sent by Melina | 5:25 PM | 6-6-2008

My prayers are with you, today and every day.

Sent by Andi Daschbach | 5:45 PM | 6-6-2008

Scans and waiting for results - what nerveracking times they are. We are all of us with you, dear Leroy and Laurie too.
Love and hugs

Sent by Tina from Alton IL | 5:57 PM | 6-6-2008

May you have a gown that fits, a table that is not too uncomfortable, quick, positive results and a cheese steak to celebrate.

Sent by Theresa Lovin | 6:07 PM | 6-6-2008

Hi Leroy,
Here's hoping the scans and tests come back all in your favor. Scan day is a day I hate, not to mention the days after when you are waiting for results. You just know that we are all here for you no matter what. After all, we are a cyber family. Love to all

Sent by Teresa in WV | 6:21 PM | 6-6-2008

By now you've had your scans but may not know the results. That is in my experience the absolute hardest time. Keeping you in my thoughts.

Sent by N.R. | 6:40 PM | 6-6-2008

Thoughts and prayers coming at you from Michigan.

Sent by Deb from Michigan | 8:32 PM | 6-6-2008

I hope you get completely unsurprising news on the scans, and nothing that disturbs your sense of well-being and peace. I wish the same for all, and wish you each joy day by day

Sent by Sarah | 9:33 PM | 6-6-2008

I've been only a lurker, but I read your posts every day and admire you greatly. Your continuing to write is courageous and life-affirming.

I am a breast cancer survivor and after four years have discontinued hormone deprivation medication because of declining quality of life. I come from a family that lives too long, into miserable old old age. I'm bargaining with cancer, not fighting it, may actually welcome its return--eventually.

I'm glad you have dropped the battle metaphors. I wish you a full life and a long-enough life.

Sent by joan | 9:35 PM | 6-6-2008

Hi Leroy,

Maybe you can use this for your next question to the group. How do you handle the wait for the next scan and the results? I'll be the first to respond. I expect the worse and then when my Oncologist walks into the room and says, "I have good news" I'm pleasantly surprised. So far it's worked for me. We're planning a month long trip and will return a few days before my next CT scan. I decided that why not be comfortable and pay for an extra seat so my wife and I can spread out and have our dog between us on the 5 hour flights. It may be the last time we can do something like that but if the results are good I'll still be glad we did. In the past I would have been more concerned with saving the money and would have put up with the discomfort. This also may be my way of playing the cancer card.

Leroy, I wish that you are pleasantly surprised with your scan results.

Sent by Walt from Los Angeles | 11:53 PM | 6-6-2008

More prayers and good wishes for the best news possible on this next round of your ongoing fight. You and Laurie continue to be a source of inspiration for so many of us. Dennis Boni

Sent by Dennis Boni | 1:32 AM | 6-7-2008

Fingers crossed....

Sent by Linnea | 5:00 AM | 6-7-2008

Thoughts and prayers are with you..Peace always...

Sent by Julie | 11:28 AM | 6-7-2008

Keep fighting and surviving my friend! Love your attitude and strength. Stay connected to life, give and get as much love as you can.

One Love

Sent by Psiplex | 2:40 PM | 6-7-2008

I am a cancer patient (ovarian, stage 3). I was struck by how futilistic everyone on the blogs are. I am doing very well, my doctor seems surprised at my blood counts and lack of side effects from the IP chemo. I have read and researched a lot on cancer and nutrition and alternative treatments. There is so much you can do through nutrition and suplementation. It is very important to be active in the fight and I don't believe it is in vein. Having changed my diet, using daily juicing regime and supplements has, I believe, treated my cancer, but I know it has diminished the side effects of chemo without affecting its function, and I know it has remarkably improved my osteoporsis, and removed my fungal problems and my herpies occurances. I'd be happy to share if you would be interested.

Sent by Michele Lee | 4:14 PM | 6-7-2008

hi leroy i have been following you since your show with ted koppel ,,since then were have lost our son to cancer on nov 2 2007.. i remember making him watch you on t.v. he was so scared as we were never allowed to show any tears in front of him i think your fight made him feel stronger an have less fear ..thank you for making such a private fight a pulic fight as he was only 20 at time of his passing .i would check your blog and he would ask is he still alive and i would say yes and still fighting he seemed to get strenght from that . every test you endure is knowledge they learn on how to beat cancer thank you and keep going on for the ones who no longer can ..respectfully william's mom nov 14/1986--nov/2/07

Sent by christi mariott | 8:03 PM | 6-7-2008

Hi Leroy,
My thoughts and prayers are with you today. Believe you are not alone, because you are not. God is there giving you strength.
Page