Discussion Guidelines

Every website has its own rules, and these are ours. If you break these rules, please don't be surprised if we block your comments.

First things first: If you can't be polite, don't say it. Of course, we don't want to stifle discussion of controversial issues. Some topics require blunt, difficult talk, and we're not always going to agree with each other. Nonetheless, please try to disagree without being disagreeable. Focus your remarks on positions, not personalities. No name calling, slander, comments about anyone's mother, comparisons to notorious dictators, jibes about hair type — you get the idea.

Under no circumstances should you ever post anything that could be taken as threatening, harassing, sexist or racist. Because News & Views deals with questions of race on a daily basis, controversies here can sometimes take on racial, well, coloring, but there is no room in any discussion for hurtful, racial attacks or innuendo.

Similarly, because our online and on air audiences are diverse, lack of information is not a capital offense on News & Views. We've gathered together here from a range of places and backgrounds in order to build community and sharing information. The only dumb question is one intended to harass or denigrate.

Do not under any circumstances use obscenities, this even if the word in question comes out of your mouth ten times a day. We're not going to list the words we object to; you know what they are. This is a public forum and we want everyone to feel comfortable participating ... and besides, your mother might read it!

Anything you post should be your own work. You're welcome to link to relevant content and to quote from other people's work with attribution. But that doesn't mean you can copy and paste wholesale.

Please stay on topic. Think of it this way — if you hosted a book club meeting at your house, you wouldn't want someone to show up and insist on discussing reality TV shows.

Rambling is the kiss of death. We don't want to place a word count on how long your comments should be, but anything beyond a few paragraphs had better be very, very interesting to the News & Views community. We reserve the right to edit for brevity as well as clarity.

Please respect people's privacy. We love to learn about new and interesting individuals, but most people will not be happy to have their phone numbers or e-mail addresses published. If you need to share someone's contact information, please submit it through our Contact Us Privately form.

Feel free to share your ideas and experiences about religion, politics and relevant products or services you've discovered. But this is not a place for advertising, promotion, recruiting, campaigning, soliciting or proselytizing. We understand that there can be a fine line between discussing and campaigning; please use your best judgment — and we will use ours.

We appreciate the news tips members of the public send us. However, NPR reserves the right not to publicize allegations, conspiracy theories and other information which we know to be false or unsubstantiated.

Please don't use public forums for private communication. You're welcome to send private messages to our bloggers through our Contact Us Privately form. Similarly, if you have comments about NPR coverage or policies generally, please don't use the blog discussion threads to air them. For issues regarding NPR editorial content or policies, write to NPR ombudsman. To contact an NPR program or any of our business and technical departments, use the NPR Contact Form.

If you want to know even more information on what is and isn't allowed on NPR.org, please see our very official Terms of Use page.

That's pretty much it. Just follow these guidelines, and comment on!

Comments

Greetings. Let me say that I generally enjoy the program and find the discussions topical and thought provoking. I was dismayed however, while during a recent program on slavery the reference to "slaves" was used repeatedly.

The term strikes me as anonymous and euphemistic -- a way to delicately tip-toe around the reality of a vile and barbaric institution. We can speak of "slaves" in an antiseptic and detached fashion and never get down to the dirty details that many in America try, at all costs, to avoid . Those Africans, human beings, people, who were reduced to chattel and treated worse, in many instances, than farm animals were not "slaves" though they may have been enslaved. To reduce their lives, their hardships, their struggles, their perseverance and their triumphs to a single, "neat and tidy" term not only continues to devalue and deny their humanity, it also does not reinforce how horrible and reprehensible an idea it is that human beings, Africans, were bought and sold in this country for over 300 years. It is my greatest hope that whenever we speak of slavery that we do so in terms that reaffirms the lives and humanity of those who were so abused and, in unquestionable terms, speaks to the absurdity and inhumanity of the institution that made it possible.

Sent by R. Senemeh Burke | 11:16 AM | 5-9-2007

Dear Farai Chideya:
Your "Sex and Sexuality" series (Wednesday's show ??? May 2, 2007) open up Pandora???s Box. If we are fascinated with gender identity disorders and other sexual mental illness then why not talk about all sexualities that go???s on in this worlds.
Sincerely,
Carlos Hamer

Sent by Carlos Hamer | 4:01 PM | 5-9-2007

Farai,

I have enjoyed this program since I first listen when Tavis hosted. I still enjoy it. It's my favorite podcast. When I'm not in my home office, I download your podcasts (thank you sooo much for them) and spend hours catching up while I work. I just wanted to you know that I'm not a casual listener. Now, with that said I have a couple of comments.

1.) I appreciate the interviews and lively discussions, however can you please extend them, edit them to conform to your broadcast times and then also offer the full interview (e.g. John Conners is a slow talker, however he has a lot of insight that would be beneficial Another example would be when you were interviewing Davey D. An extended interview with him would have been very informative. Please consider, longer interviews that disclose more insight to the stories. Also, maybe I missed the short, but what happened to the round table discussions. I also feel that you should offer extended versions of those discussions as well. This would give some of us who are die hard listeners the opportunity of broaden our grasps of the subjects you handle. Thx., keep up the good work and I really appreciate this shows and it's views.

Sean

Sent by Sean Hill | 4:53 PM | 6-15-2007

Your series on Hip-Hop was interesting and I think u did cover as much as u could on Hip-Hop so I am glad the lessons of hip-hop has been learned.

Sent by Kenny Jenkins | 5:03 PM | 6-28-2007

I am amazed at do nothing people that sat back and crticize Rev.Sharpton and Rev. Jackson about what they don't do,but all they do is reap the benefits of what thses men have done.If we got half the fairness and equity in edcation,employment,social services and the justice system that Al and Jessie speak of,crime would drop tremendously.Do your research,crime goes down when people have jobs,opportunity and that thing Jessie speaks of all the time,hope.And be for real,there is no money in standing up for black people.But ask Armstrong Williams,there is gold in them thar hills for selling us out.Funny thing when I here faux intellectuals try to rationalize their fear of the establishment,they sound just like Rush, Hannity and the like.You people can't even come up with you own material. You do what you claim Jessie and Al are not doing,no one is stoping you.But then again you would'nt have time to complain.Remember,no one ever built a monuement to a critic.I believe that there are a lot of agent provocateurs out there doing the bidding of the dominate culture as they pretend to have our best intrest at heart.And the biggest double agents I see are people in the media that are black.a lot of them are scared scophants that only end game is to show the dominate culture that "Iam just like you,not the great unwashed other black people".Nathan Mcall spoke of you people.You are alarmist fear mongers that perpetuate the boogerman of crime is under our beds and around every corner waiting to get us when in fact only about 3 to 4.3 percent of the worst neighborhoods are crimanls.About 400 black men graduate form Moorehouse in Atlanta alone last spring,not to mention the thousands that graduated other HBCUs,major universities,junor colleges and trade schools, at or around the same time.Yet all we hear about is the fool or three that up this place ,robbed that place or committed a horrible crime at the other place.You lazy people inundate us with this posion day in and day out and weak minded scared people actually believe there is this wild west thing going on when most black men and women are busting there hump,even asking me about giving them a part time job to go along with the one they already have so they can save up to buy their first home.Stop lying on black people to edify yourselves,that is so weak.Al and Jessie are not afraid to speak truth to power that scares the hell out of those surrogate overseers.

Sent by Ty Ngozi | 1:43 AM | 8-10-2007

Farai,
I listened to what Donna Brazile had to say about Barack Obama yesterday on your program and was especially disturbed by one of her comments. I have e mailed her the following letter.

Ms Brazile,

For a long time I have had a lot of respect for you because of your ground breaking achievement as a campaign manager for Al Gore.

Today, I was deeply disappointed after I heard your comments about Barack Obama. Instead of answering the question you were asked to address whether Romney did a good job explaining his Mormon faith you used the question to jump in to attacking Obama by saying"Romney has done a much better job explaining his faith than Obama has explaining his race" Wow!!
What don't you understand about his race? He said he is black. His father is from Africa where the blackest of the blacks still live.He looks black. He has advanced the black cause as a community organizer.When you and other black "elite" class question the "blackness" of Obama you are questioning the identity of millions of blacks with African heritage whose ancestors do not necessarily share the history of slavery and appears to be an attempt to create a second class of African Americans.
It is insulting to us African Americans who are proud to be Americans and appreciate the black civil rights struggle that made us beneficiaries of the American dream and who like to be counted as equal Americans.

I hope you will Apologize to all of us.

Sent by Mehari | 11:20 AM | 8-16-2007

Hello Farai and crew! I listen and enjoy your show regularly on WNCU in Durham, NC. I listened to your show on Thursday and enjoyed it except for the interview with Marine Maj. Gen. Walter E. Gaskin. I found that interview disturbing because of the incorrect information regarding Sheik Abu Risha. New information came to light within 48 hours, or so, of his being killed. I am not aware if Maj Gen Gaskin knows this but: 1. Sheik Abu Risha wasn???t a sheik. 2. He wasn't actually killed by Al Qaeda. A film produced by journalist David Enders, and BBC photographer Rick Rowley, in conjunction with the Pulitzer Center, documents Abu Risha's activity in Anbar and directly contradicts Maj. Gen. Gaskin. The story can be found at the following sources:
film-Behind the Anbar Success Story

Sent by Haven from DaylightOnDemand.org | 6:52 PM | 9-20-2007

Spineless Progressives must act and stop waiting for the Democrats in Congress

We have no other choice. Now is time for Spineless Progressives to act and stop business as usual.

I am calling for a ???Global Call-in Sick Day & Shutdown the Global Economy!??? -- A coordinated event for all, especially the liberal-progressive people, to halt commerce ??? no work, no consuming, etc, ??? Shutdown the Economy Day, a week or however long.

Garret Keizer suggest we call a general strike on Election Day, November 6, 2007, for the sole purpose of removing this regime from power.

A general strike means that We The People, as many of us as possible, would disobey the inept, corrupt, undemocratic system by withholding our presence at for least one day.

Don't go to work. Stay home. Better yet, take some political action. Also, don't go to the mall, the supermarket, or the bank; don't use your credit card or make any commercial transaction. This would be the ultimate affront to the corporate president who so pathetically told us after 9/11 that our highest patriotic response to the attack was to "go shopping." So don't fly, use your cell phone, watch TV, or otherwise participate. Sometimes, silence is the loudest sound of all.

As Keizer says, "As long as we're willing to go on with our business, Bush and Cheney will feel free to go on with their coup."

Sent by Judith L. Wible, M.D. | 2:40 PM | 10-25-2007

Your programming is wonderful - I acutally feel as if I know a world out there beyond the US!
It's difficult for me to watch or listen to most media regarding the presidential race. The media seems to be trying to MAKE the news all of the time. And, the POLLS!! - Please!! Why do we have to listen to the spins and the attempts to manipulate what we think? Yes, some people's (& I fear even most American's) opinions can sway in the daily bombardment of words and immages that we call news. And I know there is a need for some drama, and I understand the role of the media in promoting itself, but shouldn't there be a balance? Watching the campaign is like watching Insider Edition or one of those other programs about movie personallities. Let's hear about education, business, legislation, energy options as much as we hear the hype and rhetoric

Sent by mary dunlavey | 12:09 PM | 7-25-2008