News Headlines

NAACP Buries the N-Word, Darfur Conf. Called

NAACP buries the N-word.

A mock funeral to symbolically bury the "N-word" is held at the 98th Annual NAACP National Convention in Detroit, Michigan. Bill Pugliano, Getty Images hide caption

itoggle caption Bill Pugliano, Getty Images

Chicago Tribune: NAACP Buries the Hated N-Word — "In a symbolic move to erase the controversial N-word from the English vocabulary, the NAACP held a mock funeral in Detroit on Monday, complete with a horse-drawn carriage and a pine box coffin that will be buried in a city cemetery and marked with a headstone."

Howard Kurtz of The Washington Post: A Question of Bias — "If voters are so color-blind, why have only two African-Americans since Reconstruction won governor's offices? And only three been elected to the Senate?"

The Associated Press: Darfur Conference Called for Mid-July — "The U.N. and African Union envoys trying to promote a political solution to the four-year conflict in Darfur are inviting key regional and international parties to a mid-July meeting to discuss ways to get new peace talks started."

More Headlines:

Republicans Cool to NAACP Presidential Forum

Zimbabwe Crisis 'Threatens Lives'

Talk about today's headlines: Do you agree with the NAACP's efforts to symbolically bury the N-word?

Comments

I applaud the NAACP's efforts to bury this word. Though, I do agree with many of the people mentioned in the article who say that, unfortunately, many young people will see this as a futile effort by an old-fashioned organization that is out of touch with them.

However, I disagree with Professor Boyd who called the funeral an "incredible waste of time." While I agree that there are many, seemingly larger issues that face the black community, the reality is that at the root of many of these issues are attitudes of self-hatred. We need to start addressing how we think of ourselves, how we see ourselves and what we call ourselves if we want to make real changes to how we live.

In the article, rapper Lex Louch says, "When you are happy to see a friend, the first thing that comes out of your mouth is my [n-word]. What can you use to substitute for it?"

I can think of a long list of substitutes for the n-word in that situation. But the best one I can think of is, Man.

Sent by Julie | 3:51 PM | 7-10-2007

again the NAACP wastes another opportunity to connect with young people. thank you guys for widening that already wide generation gap.

Lex Louch is an idiot.

Sent by Brother Omi | 5:01 PM | 7-10-2007

I'm not casting any aspersion on what the NAACP did by burying the N-word. However, like I said to a mentor last night; "how's this going to stop the use of the word?" People have the freedom of speech and no picketing, mock funeral is going to stop them from exercising that right. Now do I agree with the use of the word? Absolutely not! And I detest folks who think all young people have a certain romance with the N-word due to rappers who choose not to expand their vocabulary. But the NAACP can't change a generation's mindset about the use of that word by just doing something a lot of folks think was a chance at photo-ops when there are grave issues in our communities such as disparity in quality education, AIDS and the lack of healthcare to name a few.

Sent by Moji | 6:43 PM | 7-10-2007

The NAACP is nothing if not irrelevant. A funeral? The next time I see some 16-year-old on the NY City subway saying "Ni**a," I'll remind him that the NAACP buried it. Oh, and then I'll tell him that C. Delores Tucker once steamrolled his gangsta rap CDs, because that was effective too. Give me a break.

Sent by Jamal Davidson | 1:18 AM | 7-11-2007

This roundtable also featured a brief discussion of Michael Moore's Sicko. I was shocked that every single one of the commentators parroted CNN's unfounded assertion that Moore "got the facts wrong." If anything, it has been demonstrated that CNN got many facts from (fair.org and others). Moore is opinionated, but his facts were largely correct in this case, and CNN largely wrong. Maybe NPR really does stand for National Propaganda Radio.

Sent by Ansom | 5:59 PM | 7-11-2007

I just listened to a comment by one of your guest regarding Michael Moore's appearance on CNN. Your guest indicated that college educated people do not listen to Michael Moore and then went on to say that comparing the health insurance coverage of the 11 million people in Cuba to 300 million people in USA is like comparing apples and oranges. That to me is an uneducated statement; your guest completely missed the point. To simplify it for him, I suggest he compares Cuba to any state in the USA with a population around 11 million people. As far as I know, there isn't a state in the USA that offers health coverage for all her citizens.

P

Sent by Paul | 9:15 PM | 7-11-2007

I thought I may have been the only one shocked by the comments from the "bloggers" regarding Michael Moore.
But considering the direction that News and Notes has decided to go in, perhaps I should not have been surprised.

I agree with Paul and Ansom...
Paul made an excellent point about Cuba.. The Blogger being interviewed obviously missed the point...

I posted my thoughts here http://mirroronamerica.blogspot.com/2007/07/nprs-farai-chideya-talks-with-black.html

Sent by The Angry Independent | 6:30 AM | 7-12-2007

NAACP or NWA:
What's Worst the "N" Word or the "C" Word?
check out the article

Sent by Min. Paul Scott | 8:03 PM | 7-12-2007

Though I'm of a generation that is not ready to completely write off the NAACP, I do believe that its leaders and its rank-and-file members have seen the best days, and that they are now unable to be effective in a way that's relevant and influential.

I try not to evaluate my actions based upon what White people will think. But I think that today, the folks to whom the Association is trying to appeal, aren't listening anymore. They haven't listened in decades.

That's not influence. And to be influential, you must be relevant.

Sent by Ron Baker, Jr. | 8:59 AM | 7-13-2007

I love News & Notes; it's the rest of the news I never get to hear. I do have a comment about the roundtable on Michael Moore's appearence on CNN. Jasmyne Cannick stated that he should just refuse to go on CNN. Mr Blitzer stated himself during the interview that Mr Moore had been invited numerous times to appear and has declined. In this instance it was clear to me during the interview that Mr Moore's appearance was prompted this time because of a highly derogatory and factually inaccurate attack on him by a guest the night before. It seems that most of the criticism I have seen about Sicko has been focused on Mr Moore personally with little open discussion about the subject of health care and whether or not there really is a problem. And what's this about people with college degrees don't do what? Well people with college degrees usually avoid generalizing.
Sorry for the mispellings

Sent by Frank Donnellan | 9:29 PM | 7-14-2007

Young people are not going to be Hip-hoppers for life. When you leave childest things alone, thier is suppose to be some growth. I am convinced that some African-Americans do not now all of our history and if they they did this not a name that Kings and Queens have. It is a difference between a fad and just plainly ignorant. Every group of people who have been oppressed would dare not make allowances to controversal names that their oppressors gave them! What is so confusing is that some white youths also use the N-word (Go figger) I think that because the "younger generation have not had to walk through the fire ( if you will). The message being received is that it is okay for people of cultures to use the N-word and that you can not challenge me when my skin is not like yours because you use it everyday so I can too " In my opinion, We let or guards down so quickly that we forget and it is not just the N-word. I am 57 years old and when do young people realize when respect comes into play. I am in college, I do not curse in front of them. I do not talk about sex freely in front of them. But yet they can come to a table that I was sitting at first and tell me if I do not like the language, then I need to move! How crazy is that? are you not worried about another "profilling" be established for our youth?

Sent by Joyce Dorsey | 11:35 AM | 10-13-2007

I agree with joyce, but what are we going to do about it. If you and I put our foot down and say no more. When iam confronted with disrespectable youth and start preaching to them , they intently listen and I get the feeling that all they are wanting and needing id attention. they have no parents that spend time with them to teach them because their parents are so busy overcompesanting and wanting to be their friend that our children are looking for directions.
It's time for the village to raise the child promotions.

Sent by sandra crenshaw | 9:32 PM | 11-27-2007