Your Turn

Talk About Today's Roundtable

Roundtable
iStockphoto.com

Some provocative topics on our bloggers' roundtable today ...

Bloggers Jehmu Greene, Leon Scott, and Casey Lartigue talked about the white residents of Logan, W. Va., apologizing to black residents for the torture of a black woman; comments from presidential candidate John Edwards about the future of black men; and Morehouse College's new president considering a dress code.

[Read Leon's thoughts about his participation in the roundtable.]

If you missed it, take a listen. Here's your space to state your case about the bloggers' positions and your own.

Comments

What did I think? I think Leon Scott is a buffoon. The brother could barely make a cogent comment without saying "I don't know" or "You know what I'm saying." No, Leon, I don't know what you are saying. News and Notes, step your game up. And as for Morehouse, unless you are a current or former student, your opinion doesn't matter. You wouldn't understand anyway.

Sent by JP | 6:14 PM | 10-3-2007

Interesting roundtable. First, I beg to differ with Casey for saying he's not his brother's keeper when it comes to other African-American's actions. I don't care how individual he sees himself, people of other races have a tendency to make an assumption of who you are based on a sample of some folks' actions who look like you. It is a simple law of statistics: you take a sample to make a theory on a population.

Perhaps, Casey could rethink his tactics by enlightening other folks to show there are better examples. I mean do you know how many times I've been asked by some friends and associates of a different race what the heck is going on with a notable black person that committed a stupid offence? How would it look to say I'm not my brother's keeper, judge me by my individual actions? I believe it was Anna Julia Cooper who said "when and where we enter, the whole race enters with us."

Second, about John Edwards' take on the future of black men, I think he just mispoke. There are people of other races who commit crime in the innercity and not just black men. But I'll charge that to his head, not his heart.

Lastly, for all Leon Scott's bluff on his blog, I expected more.

Sent by Moji | 7:21 PM | 10-3-2007

I watched Jehmu on Fox's morning show today and then she showed up on the roundatble. Girl gets around. Sounded like a Republican on tv, like a democrat on your show, but I think she is a democrat. I agree with her that prettyboy Edwards slipped up on the numbers but somebody needed to raise the issue of the alarming numbers of black men in jail. And who cares what Morehouse men wear in class anyways? Impressing people with how you are dressed only matters in the interview. It's college - sometimes you have to wear pajamas to class.

Sent by MNA | 8:13 PM | 10-3-2007

I enjoyed the roundtable today. I listen to get a well-rounded view of the issues I'm concerned about. I appreciate Casey's and Jehmu's viewpoints but they do seem to be a little polarized. I believe most people do not consider themselves wholly democrat, republican, liberal, or conservative but fall on either side of the debate depending on the issue.

I agree with Casey that there is no excuse for the veto of the SCHIP bill. Bush has been begging for more and more money to fuel this conflict in Iraq and picks a children's healthcare bill to draw the line on spending. It's ridiculous.

Especially in light of the growing conflict in Myanmar where citizens are very clearly demanding Democracy and he hasn't said a peep. I thought that was why we were in Iraq. Are we only reaching out to help those who can provide us with an oil fix to calm our consumption addiction.

Sent by Luscious Librarian | 1:27 PM | 10-4-2007

Hi, Luscious Librarian:

I tend not to comment on blog comments about me, because that's just what they are, blog comments.

But I will point out an outright lie, fabrication, or typo suggesting a falsehood. We didn't discuss the SCHIP bill on the bloggers roundtable and I have not commented on it anywhere.

I suppose there was a different show or segment with someone else named Casey commenting on the SCHIP.

Regards,

Casey Lartigue

Sent by Casey Lartigue | 9:17 AM | 10-5-2007

I apologize for the misquote. Please forgive me.

Sent by Luscious Librarian | 11:51 AM | 10-5-2007

Yeah the "not my brothers keeper" statement caught me off guard as well. Other than that I appreciated all the speakers. Its good to have a diverse view on display to show that all Blacks don't think exactly the same.

In regards to the Edward's remarks, if he were Black would there have been this type of response in the media? No. Why, because we hear it all the time from Black leaders who are speaking to the state or condition of the Black family. Could it be that what he said instilled some level of fear in us that what we've been hearing all along is actually true are in deed coming to pass? As far as him possibly implying that he may be the solution, (if he was really trying to do that), that's crazy. Only we can end Black on Black crime and heal the ailments that plague us through acting on sound information and solutions that benefit us and humanity as well.

Anthony Stewart

Sent by Anthony Stewart | 5:39 PM | 10-5-2007

Luscious Librarian,

You are forgiven!

The last thing I need is having my name attached to issues I haven't addressed and opinions I haven't expressed...

I already get enough grief for the things I do actually say...

CJL

Sent by Casey Lartigue | 6:33 PM | 10-5-2007

I enjoyed listening to the diverse comments that were presented. I believe that we as a group of people must address the problems of crime, stats, and how our community is effected in those areas. While the discussion needs to be held among us. I do not fully believe that any president is the one to solve those issues. We are the ones who have to deal with mentalities that drive our actions.
As far as Morehouse is concenred. I do agree that college is a choice made by a student. For some young brothers the image that they will have to project in the workforce is not one that they readily embrace. I have a 33 year old son who declared in his tween years that he'd never work on a job that required a suit or a tie. Economics denoted otherwise. But if "throwback" is the fashion of this era, then that is one that is attempting to recapture the pride that Morehouse Men are known to display. I have a few in my family and they are pretty distinct. I am not for wearing a suit and tie daily on a college campus. I have shown up for class in pajamas myself-at a time when female students didn't do so. But I had to be in my seat and my work turned in, so I do understand. I feel that moderation is the key. Knowing when and how to dress is not just limited to the interview. Dress codes are part of the workplace. It is not difficult to imagine that there will be Morehouse grads who pursue careers that call for them to dress in that manner. If it is a problem to the student-other black colleges are available for enrollment. Or the student body can address the issue with the President of Morehouse.

Sent by D.L.White | 12:03 PM | 10-27-2007

Wow! I'm just getting around to reading this, so I guess I should address "JP" since he decided to resort to name-calling over the internet like some kind of overly-emotional computer geek.

JP: It's really not that serious! I mean, who are you, anyway? Why don't you "Step your game up" and do something noteworthy with your life instead of bashing talk radio panelists? You're making your little soon-to-be jacket-wearing brethren at Morehouse look bad!

@ Moji, I will admit, my first time on radio didn't go exactly as planned...but it's all a learning experience. I can respect your comment, despite that unnecessary "bluff" part, mainly because it wasn't some kind of juvenile attempt at a personal attack like the one I addressed above.

Sent by Leon Scott | 2:16 AM | 11-7-2007