News Headlines

All The DNC News That's Fit To Print

Lots of Democratic National Convention news happening today. Here's the lowdown:

Hillary Clinton's name will be put into nomination at the convention. "The move is seen as a bid to heal the wounds of the bitter primary season."

Despite rumors to the contrary late yesterday, Colin Powell says he is not attending the Democratic National Convention and "ended the conversation without entertaining any more questions about whether he might endorse Obama."

The Obama campaign is denying House Ways and Means Chairman Charlie Rangel a speaking role at this month's Democratic National Convention — "a move those close to the powerhouse Harlem congressman view as a spiteful snub."

Jesse Jackson won't have a speaking role either. But he tells Essence magazine he will, however, be in attendance.

Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick definitely won't have a formal role at the DNC, but during a hearing this morning, a judge lifted travel restrictions for Kilpatrick to attend the DNC and removed his tether.

I can only imagine how he's going to be received.

Comments

I CANNOT UNDERSTAND HOW BARACK DECIDED TO PERMIT BOTH HILLARY AND BILL TO SPEAK AT "HIS CONVENTION". IT'S QUITE EVIDENT THAT TO THEM(THE BILLARYS) IT'S ALL ABOUT THEM. I WOULD LOVE IT IF THESE PEOPLE WOULD CREATE A PARTY OF THEIR OWN. WE OWE THEM NOTHING! WE(BLACKS) CAUSED HIS RE-ELECTION AFTER MONICA. HILLARY HAS ALREADY MADE HISTORY. SHE'S THE WIFE OF AN FORMER GOVERNOR AND PRESIDENT; A FORMER FIRST LADY; HELPED TO BECOME A SENATOR (BY A BLACK CONGRESSMAN) AND RUNNER-UP IN A PRESIDENTIAL RACE AND LOST!! AT LEAST TRY TO WALK AWAY WITH DIGNITY, GRACE, RESPECT,GRACIOUSNESS AND HUMILITY. RATHER THAN THE SABLE RATTLING COMING FROM MARK PENN,TERRY MCCOLLOUGH, LANNY DAVIS AND GERALDINE FERRARO. THESE ARE 'BITTER' PEOPLE FOE WHATEVER REASON, AND DON'T KNOW HOW TO MOVE ON AND GET A LIFE OF THEIR OWN. I'M SURE THEY MUST HAVE OTHER "SKILLS" FOR EMPLOYMENT.

Sent by BETTY NICKERSON | 7:24 PM | 8-14-2008

YES! Betty, I'm with you! NEVER has the winner had to reach back & kiss so much tail. But they can't get over it or admit they ran a horrible campaign. Can't give Barack his due...considering how far back he was..it was a major historical upset.

The move is to appeal to her '18 million' who are threatening to hold hostage their vote unless Barack kisses the Billary ring. Now I don't think ANYTHING can apeal to them he'll end up giving concessions and they may still not vote for him because that bitterness runs deep into their identity. The Obama campaign is doing this for a 'united party' but shouldn't it be on Clinton to unite the party and not display sour grapes? Not All of the 18 million will switch over or stay home and as for the rest...f'em, let them become the Ralph Nadar of 2008 and play spoiler and we'll get what we get. If that happens, I'll bet the media won't frame them as spoilers, the way they haven't personified as racist those who flat out say they won't vote for a Black man. Instead of personifying them as racist they're called 'working class, blue collar' and then pose the question: 'what's wrong with Obama.'

I honestly believe that Hillary wants Barack to lose so she (and supporters) can say: I told you so.

Sent by Jon J | 9:18 PM | 8-14-2008

what do Obama campaign stars Eric Holder and Susan Rice (among others) have in common besides Barack?

being given the opportunity to hone their leadership skills inside a Bill Clinton administration.

where is the love?

Sent by rhesa | 4:24 PM | 8-15-2008

It doesn't matter what we think. Hillary Clinton will never be happy no matter what Obama does. As far as I am concerned, he is standing tall and if her bratty supporters won't support him, they deserve what they get. Reminds me of the sandbox in kindergarten. Hillary Clinton is an embarrassment to womanhood everywhere

Sent by sunny123 | 6:30 PM | 8-15-2008

I am so disheartened by tactics the Clinton's are using to get their way. Their actions are proving who they are and what they think they are entitled to because they can not get over the fact that someone else came in and won the nomination that they had been planning for since when? Their is no graciousness in bullying tactics. Did she want to be president because she thinks she is entitled to it? I trust her less and less. Poor losers do not make good leaders.

Sent by Carol Dabney Ross | 9:56 PM | 8-15-2008

Obama supports you are a bunch of brats! I'm from Illinois, Obama has done nothing for us. Showing up Black and Democrat is not enough...stop playing the race card, some of know history...Blacks stop selling guilt, whites stop buying it...Blacks were selling each other at the dock in Africia and fool youself not, Obama will sell you guys again...The Clintons gave 36 years of their lives to the disadvantaged and minorities. But hey, everything has a silver lining, if Obama does get elected, at least there will be no more Affirmative Action programs which will save taxpayers billions, and seeing how Hillary Clinton got dumped on, at least Title 9 will get a big boost.

Sent by kitsue | 10:24 PM | 8-16-2008

Barack Obama is being extremely gracious
and it remains to be seen how gracious
Hillary and Bill Clinton, and her many
die-hard supporters will be. They should be observing the Olympics and
noting how true athletes, who concede their defeat and congratulate the winner, are still held in respect, and how those who throw temper-tantrums are stripped of their medals. There is no
disgrace in losing, only in how one accepts his/her loss.

Sent by Judith McCarthy | 2:50 AM | 8-17-2008

Obama did not have a landslide victory and the Clinton's are not being asked to concede and disappear from the campaign. Hillary and Bill have real supporters and Obama needs those supporters to win the election. Don't act like we are obliged to vote for Obama just because we supported Hillary. We have the right to make an informed decision about the two candidates now in the race for the White House and Obama realizes, and so should you, that Hillary and Bill can influence those supporters in his favor. Obviously, if he didn't need them they would not be speaking at the convention so don't tell me he is being gracious at all and I won't tell you how to vote if you don't tell me.

Sent by MOrms | 8:16 AM | 8-18-2008

As an Obama supporter with 50 years of presidential political experience, I can assure you that it is normal for the runner up to get a speaking spot and it is even more normal for a recent ex-president to get a speaking spot. Not to worry. This will be an Obama convention and no one can take that away.

Sent by Tomas | 5:31 PM | 8-18-2008

As a Clinton backer I can see where many of the Obama supporters might be upset, but this Democrat will be voting Republican on this ticket, along with many of my friends and family. I personally do not think Obama has the experience needed to effectively run this country. He always seems to have the right answer, which makes me even more openly against his campaign. You can never satisfy all of the people on all issues, he makes it sound a bit too good; I have learned that if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. I think the best move for the Democratic party would have been to have Hillary as Vice-President on the ballot. Just my humble opinion.

Sent by L Towell | 5:39 PM | 8-18-2008

I think that America is totally off the point here.
We are NOT putting Billary up for anything.This motion of here appearence
is merely a showing of unification.
It was the raving republickers screaming
'blasphemy-adulterers',that were screaming bloody murder with Bill& Monica.
What about their guy in the airport restroom?Is he a standard for morals?
Or the wars that the Bush administration
has involved America in?
With the current Russian conflict,Afganistan seeming to never see resolvment,the quagmire in Iran(that seems to benefit ONLY his campaign contributors),this makes the job situation seem not what it really is.
So,is this the ultimate path that America should follow?We are pissing away our last bit of respect.

Sent by Richard Milhaus Narlian | 1:27 AM | 8-19-2008