From Farai

Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones Has Died (Updated)

Stephanie Tubbs Jones

hide captionU.S. Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones makes a statement at the headquarters of the Democratic National Committee in Washington, D.C.

Alex Wong, Getty Images

UPDATE: Ohio Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones, 58, Dies

Stephanie Tubbs Jones made history as the the first black woman to represent Ohio in Congress. She died today at the age of 58.

A report from the Associated Press describes what happened as she was driving yesterday:

The congresswoman had been driving erratically and her vehicle crossed from the northbound lanes across the southbound lanes, according to a statement from police.
An officer pulled a cruiser across the roadway to warn oncoming traffic. The officer reached her vehicle and found Tubbs Jones in medical distress, the statement said.

The apparent cause: a ruptured aneurysm, or a hyperextended blood vessel, in her brain.

We have been lucky enough to speak with the congresswoman several times, and we will remember her on tomorrow's show.

Among our conversations: Tubbs Jones and I spoke last year about what was, at the time, her new role as head of the House Ethics Committee. It was part of our series on the movers and shakers in the Congressional Black Caucus.

Comments

You need to update the post- over an hour ago, CNN confirmed Congresswoman Tubbs passed.

Sent by Moji | 3:18 PM | 8-20-2008

I resented and yet respected her almost "tomish" enthusiasm and support for Hillary Clinton. We should all have someone to champion our causes the way she did Hillary. It is sad to see such a vibrant human being meet such a tragedy. May the gods and ancestors be with Stephane Tubbs Jones.

Sent by massai | 3:26 PM | 8-20-2008

Sorry News and Views, I'm seeing CNN is retracting its original report of Tubbs condition.

Sent by Moji | 3:40 PM | 8-20-2008

Stephanie Tubbs Jones (and her loved ones) is in my heart & prayers today... I didn't know who she was until I saw her campaigning for Clinton, and I enjoyed every interview I've seen and heard from her. Her smile always lit up my day -- we need more representatives like her, and I hope she either recovers fully or suffers no pain. Thank you for your attention to who she is.

Sent by Heidi Brooks | 4:09 PM | 8-20-2008

This nation should mourn such a tenacious bulldog for the little guy. Tubbs Jones stood for egalitarianism at its best. I shall mourn her.

Sent by Sue Hudson | 9:52 PM | 8-20-2008

My prayers go out to Stephanie Tubbs Jones family. Remain strong in your grief as she would want you to be.

June Watson

Sent by June Watson | 9:54 PM | 8-20-2008

Welcome home Stephanie, thank you for a job well done. CSPAN is also replaying a great interview with Rep. Tubbs-Jones. Her refreshing integrity and enthusiastic dedication to public service are just what is needed now. She will be missed.

link: http://www.qanda.org/Program/?ProgramID=1112

Sent by Rhesa J | 2:06 PM | 8-21-2008

You will be missed - that big, bright smile and forceful way you spoke up and out on behalf of the poor and working class people of Cleveland.May your soul rest in peace.

Sent by Mae Jackson | 5:52 PM | 8-21-2008

Who would have thought when we were just third graders at Miles Standish Elementary that you were destined for greatness!! God bless you Stephanie for, "fighting a good fight" and keeping the faith. Rest in peace, my friend, with your beloved husband. Toni

Sent by Antoinette Grayson | 1:31 AM | 8-22-2008

Ms. Tubbs Jones moved me with her intelligence, passion and spirit. It's a sad day for my party and our country...

Sent by Sharon Marzano | 11:13 AM | 8-22-2008