DISCUSSION GUIDELINES

Every public forum has its own guidelines. Here are ours. Please keep them in mind while posting a comment.

We welcome comments on any of the columns, but 48 hours after the initial posting of a column, the Ombudsman will leave the conversation. Please keep posts to 200 words or less, as we reserve the right to edit for brevity and clarity, and will not post comments that do not abide by the guidelines.

—Chantal de la Rionda, Office of the Ombudsman

Language If you can't be polite, don't say it. This includes profanity, name calling, slander, comments about someone's family, comparisons to notorious dictators, etc. If there's a question whether the comment is appropriate, it probably shouldn't be posted. And under no circumstances should you post anything that could be taken as threatening, harassing, sexist or racist.

Clarity The goal of this forum is to allow people to express their thoughts regarding NPR- related topics. To ensure this is done in a succinct and clear manner, we are setting a 200-word limit on your comments. We will not censor your posts, but we reserve the right to edit for brevity as well as clarity.

Obscenities We're not going to list the words we object to; you know what they are. Remember, this is a public forum, and we want everyone to feel comfortable participating.

Citation We're not asking for annotated bibliographies here, but should you reference someone else's thoughts, make a note if it. You're welcome to link to relevant content and to quote from other people's work with attribution. But that doesn't mean you can copy and paste wholesale.

Focus Please stay on topic. That way we can all have the best possible discussion and concentrate our energy on the same issue. Think of it this way — if you hosted a book club meeting at your house, you wouldn't want someone to show up and insist on discussing reality TV shows.

Campaigning We know that NPR listeners are intelligent and vigorously interested in many different arenas. Feel free to share your ideas and experiences about religion, politics, and other things. But this is not a place for advertising, promotion, recruiting, campaigning, soliciting or proselytizing.

False Information At NPR, we are always delighted to hear from listeners, and we appreciate the story pitches and your news tips. However, NPR reserves the right not to publicize allegations, conspiracy theories and other information which we know to be false or unsubstantiated.

Privacy We love to learn about new and interesting individuals, but most people will not be happy to have their phone numbers or e-mail addresses published.

Please don't use public forums for private communication. To contact an NPR program or any of our business and technical departments, use the NPR contact form.
In general, please remember that this is a public forum. That means that anyone who visits our site will be able to read your thoughts, including children, coworkers, friends, and even your family. So please keep it clean and relevant.

Comments

Journalism is, as you describe, a very human job, filled with unique brilliance, and also unique flaws. I think using an ombudsman for checks and balances is extremely important in helping make NPR reach its highest potential. NPR is extremely valuable because of the human interaction and in-depth coverage, and your office presents a continuing opportunity for listeners to express valuable opinions. Thank you for your voice.

Sent by Lydia Long | 4:16 PM | 1-10-2008

This is wonderful.

As a former journalist, many people expect the media to be perfect. We strive for excellence and objectivity--nothing short of it. But errors happen. Sad but true.
Thank you for a wonderful article.

Sent by Gemma Puglisi | 6:45 PM | 1-10-2008

I wrote to NPR regarding the amount of air time given to Hillary Clinton's campaign manager before the New Hampshire Primary. It seemed as is almost every time my husband and I turned on the radio, she was talking and talking and talking. We felt she was given way too much leeway and free air time.

Sent by jill chesler | 2:34 PM | 1-18-2008

Your commentators / hosts / are very well versed and express themselves exceptionally well. However, I must mention that some guests have less than exemplary speaking talents. Specifically, those who continually repeat "you know"...."you know"...."you know." Believe Terri had such a guest Tuesday.....could someone devote a few minutes to this annoying habit?

Sent by Eldon Marsh | 9:29 PM | 1-23-2008

At this juncture, I cannot say that I know for whom I will vote, but I can say that I have noticed an incredible amount of grassroots support for Ron Paul in the city that I live (Austin, TX) and over the internet. However, I rarely hear any other media source giving him noticeable coverage, including NPR. I would like to hear all the candidates speak about their stances and views, and would appreciate more coverage of the lesser known and less well-funded candidates. Mr. Paul seems to be doing a great job of appealing to people based on his words and ideas, so why not give him more of a platform so we can hear him out? Thank you.

Sent by Alana | 3:51 PM | 1-24-2008

Like it or not, NPR has a responsibility to serve as a model for our use of the language. What are you folks doing to reduce the number of mixed singular and plural verb/subject combinations used by your commentators?

Sent by John Carter | 2:59 PM | 2-17-2008

I am concerned that NPR has had unbalanced and biased reporting during this democratic presidential primary race. The language, content, and magnitude of support for one candidate (Clinton) is unacceptable for public broadcasting.

Sent by Alex | 2:22 PM | 2-21-2008

I would like to see NPR do more investigative and critical reporting on major issues and less "mainlining" of administration press releases. Embedded reporters can hardly expect to see much more than their minders want them to see. That is not news, it is propaganda.
There are no longer many Ed Murrow-style media reporter/commentators; those who would dig deep beneath the surface of official hype and spin, and who are willing to take some risks. Woodward and Bernstein seemed to be the last of that genre. NPR had it once, but you've turned more to an MTV style of infotainment. Day to Day is little more than cute sophomoric talking-head banter disguised as journalism. Talk of the Nation is challenging, democratic (allowing call-ins commentary), and has journalistic depth, but it is now the exception rather than the rule. I must admit, I have never been so discouraged over the state of NPR. For the first time since I began listening nearly 30 years ago, I am not a contributor, by choice. It simply is not worth it anymore. I can only assume the Bush administration and the extreme right has simply scared you to mediocrity.

Sent by Larry Dennison | 11:37 AM | 3-21-2008

Todays NYTimes outed Gen.Scales who spoke about the status of the Iraq war. He is an operator from the military-industrial complex and supported the Pentagon view. NPR must vet it's "expert" speakers vastly better in future or lose its reputation. I suspected him & sent you an email at the time.

Sent by Morris Foutch | 6:06 PM | 4-21-2008

Must we have a reference to God in every program, every day? If that is the "reporting" I seek I could spin the lower part of the dial to hear preachers preaching all day. Please slack off, at the very least.

Stories I'd like to hear would be:did the country save energy when Pres. Carter was in office (55mph speed limit); is any one investigating Blackwater/all the contractors who got the contract by voting Republican? (see Imperial Life in the Emerald City by Rajiv Chandrasekaran)

Sent by Michele Kelly` | 5:38 PM | 6-19-2008

Garner's Oxford Guide to Legal Usage tells us that 'comptroller' is pronounced identically with controller. The pronunciation of the 'p' is consigned as semi-literate. Prissy of me; I know.

Sent by Ron Earnest | 6:57 PM | 7-1-2008