VEEPstakes

McCain Picks Palin as VEEP

Sarah Palin made history in November '06 when she was elected governor of Alaska. Palin was the first woman to win that office, and, elected at the age of 42 (she's now 44), she is the youngest governor in the state's history.

When Palin was first elected, reporter Elizabeth Arnold described her on NPR as "a moose-burger-eating, snow-mobile-riding maverick who's not afraid to take on fellow Republicans she disagrees with."

— Michael Olson

UPDATE: The McCain campaign's press release on Palin is after the jump.

ARLINGTON, VA — U.S. Senator John McCain today announced that he has selected Alaska Governor Sarah Palin to be his running mate and to serve as his vice president.

Governor Palin is a tough executive who has demonstrated during her time in office that she is ready to be president. She has brought Republicans and Democrats together within her Administration and has a record of delivering on the change and reform that we need in Washington.

Governor Palin has challenged the influence of the big oil companies while fighting for the development of new energy resources. She leads a state that matters to every one of us — Alaska has significant energy resources and she has been a leader in the fight to make America energy independent.

In Alaska, Governor Palin challenged a corrupt system and passed a landmark ethics reform bill. She has actually used her veto and cut budgetary spending. She put a stop to the "bridge to nowhere" that would have cost taxpayers $400 million dollars.

As the head of Alaska's National Guard and as the mother of a soldier herself, Governor Palin understands what it takes to lead our nation and she understands the importance of supporting our troops.

Governor Palin has the record of reform and bipartisanship that others can only speak of. Her experience in shaking up the status quo is exactly what is needed in Washington today.

Comments

I kind of think McCain's pick of Palin for VP, looks like a last-ditch effort to gain the female vote.

Sent by Dan Presson | 11:10 AM | 8-29-2008

McCain's VP pick completely goes against him saying Obama doesn't have enough experience because he is younger.

Sent by Crystal | 11:30 AM | 8-29-2008

She's gonna get destroyed in the VP debates.

Sent by Jeremy | 11:40 AM | 8-29-2008

The right call at the right time for McCain. The race for the White House just got more competitive. Looks like a late night for November 4th.

Sent by GC | 11:41 AM | 8-29-2008

A pro-lifer with a lifetime NRA membership that MIGHT bring McCain those awesome Electoral College juggernauts of Idaho, Alaska, and Utah.

I don't see real feminists buying it, nor do I see this as a legitimate challenge to Obama/Biden.

Republican voters might be patting themselves on the back for such a controversial move, but the Independents they are looking for are not likely to be swayed.

Sent by CGF | 11:53 AM | 8-29-2008

McCain's pick is certainly is a stroke of genius. No wonder he decided to confer with his wife, and a good thing he did. Just reading up I see more and more how this is an effective ticket.

First, he quells the potential Conservative Christian and Fiscal Conservative GOP exodus by putting up a woman who embodies pro-life ideals and the sanctity of marriage. 5 kids, and the last one she knew would have Down's Syndrome. Booyah. Nailed it. That and her dedication to cut wasteful spending, lower taxes, and limited goverment (which Alaska is famous for anyways).

Second, and evidently, she is a woman, and a member of Feminists for Life (yeah they exist), and embodies female leadership by means of her experience in politics. Sure a play on the Hillary-Obama fallout, but nevertheless effective. A way to put salt in the wound of the final 'unity' scar of the Democratic party.

Third, as the report indicates, she has a track record of government reform and transparency (especially regarding public records and monies), as well as commitment to bipartisanship (a McCain cornerstone) which adds to the Maverick ticket, surely and appeal to Independents.

Fourth, she brings about the dispelling of a potential characterization of the GOP as a party of senile white men, as the youth, energy, and new blood helps reemphasize the lively and thriving nature of the GOP, even with the fracas of the Bush Administration.

Fifth, a military mother and a military hero speak volumes to the dual nature of civil service, of course especially military service.

Lastly, her record of policy is impressive, particularly her dealings with Big Oil, Conservancy, Civil Unions and civil rights for all regardless of sexual orientation, and bureacratic reform (even going after corruption in her own party)show great promise. Oh and this keeps the other potential veeps open for incumbency and seat chasing options.

All in all, a good pick.

Cheers.

Sent by platonicform | 11:58 AM | 8-29-2008

I get the whole appeal to the Hilary voter thing. But, less than two years in a statewide role? No experiance on a national level? Are we ready for one of the oldest President's ever paired with one of the least experinaced VPs?

Sent by Tod Pleasant | 12:00 PM | 8-29-2008

As a woman, I am seriously disapointed in McCain's pandering for my vote--just one more example of "not getting it."

Sent by Kitty | 12:18 PM | 8-29-2008

McCain's selection speaks mostly to what he already had...NRA supporters and pro-lifers. She is woefully lacking in experience which is what McCain has repeatedly hammered Obama over. My goodness, her deepest experience stems from being mayor of a town of less than 10,000 people. Beyond that, even Alaska, in terms of population, ranks barely on par with a middling-sized US city! Yes, she has potential but one could hardly call her experienced, at least at anything approaching a national or international level.
I think I smell desperation in the air.

Sent by rosebud | 12:27 PM | 8-29-2008

McCain is blithering fool. He just alienated every slightly to overtly green person in America. Alaska's governor is a jack-booted thug when it comes to the environment. This was an obvious ploy to appease those who want to drill in ANWR.

Then he alienated every woman in America for a variety of reasons mostly becasue he said, "any woman can get the female vote -- they won't notice she's a Piker that I can control." Further any woman who believes in abortion is now irritated.

THEN he eliminated his reliance on the "Obama has no experience" tirade. I certainly don't wasn't a small-town mayor running this country in the case of his demise. What was he smoking!!!

Sent by John J. Sabuco | 12:35 PM | 8-29-2008

As an early childhood educator, I question how a mother of a 4 month old child with Downs Syndrome can even consider a life/career move that would take her away from the daily routines of his life. I don't know about Alaska, but here in Virginia, a developmentally delayed child begins occupational, physical, and cognitive therapy around six months. These critical interventions set the stage for life-long gains for children with challenges such as his.
While I applaud her and her husband for their decision to bring this child into their family, birth doesn't end the responsibility that comes with that commitment to providing the highest quality of life for their son. The parents I know who face similar circumstance are devoting their lives to meeting the challenges every day of their children's lives.
Perhaps Governor Palin has a future in national politics but now appears to not be the time.

Sent by Gail P | 12:36 PM | 8-29-2008

Gratuitous selection at best.

Sent by maria | 12:46 PM | 8-29-2008

I think she will out shine McClain and make his age more a factor. He thinks we are stupid that any woman will do.

Sent by Shirley A Whyte | 12:49 PM | 8-29-2008

What a joke.....When Bush Sr. picked Quayle as his running mate, he certainly didn't pick anyone who was qualified.....but McCain outdid even that pick today. It is an insult to every American that his pick is such an unqualified and obvious desperation pick. Shame on you John McCain and Shame on the Republican Party. Up unitl now.....I was leaning towards Obama, but hadn't quite made up my mind----it's made up now! Obama all the Way!

Sent by Lynn | 12:49 PM | 8-29-2008

It was appropriate that McCain introduced his running mate in a basketball arena. He could have made "swisher" with Romney or another safe pick. Instead he cast up an "air ball."

Sent by DM | 12:51 PM | 8-29-2008

Wow, what a condescending speech by McCain. As a woman I am appalled at the pandering and the basic throw away on Palin. Once again-it is not to just have any woman, but the right woman. Missed the mark big time.

Sent by Tiffany Campbell | 12:51 PM | 8-29-2008

I find this choice hypocritical. It certainly appears to be a pale, sexist attempt to pick a woman for the sake of being a woman. Appealing to Hillary supporters who supported Hillary degrades the values of those voters. And why does NPR have Ralph Reid as a commentator. Isn't he a criminal? So much for dissing Obama's 'lack of experience'.

Sent by Matt | 12:52 PM | 8-29-2008

It is important to note that the Nutter Center is about one mile from Wright-Patterson Airforce Base. Once again, the Republicans are afraid to go anywhere they don't have a military audience. This, incidentally, clearly explains why there were so many 30-somethings available in the middle of the day.

Make no mistake: Obama will win Ohio this time.

Sent by John McNay | 12:55 PM | 8-29-2008

Last ditch effort might be right. I was ambivalent after Hilary Clinton lost the democratic nomination. The last thing I expected was for R party to select a woman as VP running mate. Just when I am all ready to vote for Obama....It's going to be interesting for me.

Sent by L. Voss | 12:59 PM | 8-29-2008

It will be very intereting to watch the VP debate, it might be more intertaining than Saturday Night Live! If McCain dies can she really lead the country??

Sent by HF | 1:00 PM | 8-29-2008

Great pick -- she has had more political experience than Obama (16 years vs 8); She is a true member of the middle class; her husband is in the USW; she is a mom; her son is in Iraq... she has been effective shaking up politics as usual in Alaska.

And, think about it -- do Obama or Biden have any relatives or friends or neighbors who are actual working members of the USW? People they have pizza with next door on a Friday night? Does anyone in either of their families even have a union card? I think not.

Sent by M Taglieri | 1:02 PM | 8-29-2008

as a resident of Alaska i can say not every citizen in Alaska supports Palin. not when she was the mayor of a VERY small town in Alaska or as the governor for the last year. if Hillary's disgruntled supporters vote for McCain because of Palin, they have no idea what Hillary stood for and why she was running for president. this is a slap in the face to every thinking woman in this country. McCain has a trophy wife, now he has a trophy vice president. figures.

Sent by valerie mittelstead | 1:06 PM | 8-29-2008

As an Alaskan, I am very frustrated. Sarah has done a good job for Alaska in light of how corrupt and backward the state was, but not in comparison to true progress. All told, she's a moron, and her alliances such as her husband working for an oil company, taint her integrity. I hope America can see through this ploy for the rouse that it is.

Sent by ML | 1:14 PM | 8-29-2008

I would like to point out that if the goal of women and minority activists in this election is to put behind us all the days of discrimination, the idea that gender matters more than substantive, qualified record has to be abandoned. McCain's choice for VP is an obvious grasp at disenfranchised feminist supporters of Hillary Clinton. Feminism is, to my mind, not a sexist perspective, yet there is some feeling that the only way to be represented, is by someone who looks like yourself, there is a similar feeling within the Obama support base founded on race rather than sex. Politics is not a simple contest, it is a serious choice of who will represent your interests in binding law, and public/foreign policy. McCain is, I believe, strongly mistaken if he thinks that this particular choice will appeal to any but the most conservative voters. Governor Palin's primary qualification, politically speaking, has been that her lack of corrupt activities has been somewhat unique in her home state of Alaska. Obviously, a good first step, but does nothing to soften her hard line right wing politics, which are patently hostile toward progressive policy.

Sent by Riordan D | 1:16 PM | 8-29-2008

I am impressed, excited, encouraged and elated at the fact that John McCain choose this intelligent, knowledgeable, smart young, politically attractive female for his running mate. I am a democratic supporter who admires Barack Obama's policies, ideas and strength but as a woman, a business owner and a mother, I know feel as though the vote that I had to cast for Hillary Clinton can now be placed with someone who I can identify with...someone such as Mrs.Palin. I consider this an ground breaking selection that John McCain made.

Sent by Michelle Longmore | 1:17 PM | 8-29-2008

She sold the rights to bulid a oil pipeline to a Canadian company. 26 billion. Way to support our country.

Sent by giv | 1:23 PM | 8-29-2008

I have to ask who will be taking care of her 4-month old baby with special needs, while she is busy campaigning? She has no business running as VP. This is an insult to mothers across the country. She clearly has no regard for the responsibilities of being a mother.

Sent by Beth | 1:25 PM | 8-29-2008

I found it interesting in listening to NPRs coverage of the announcement that Linda Wirtheimer (sp.) actually laughed condescendingly at this choice. The comments by the women on this blog are interesting. If Obama would have picked a female running mate they would be praising him up and down. But McCain picks a qualified (more qualified than Obama) running mate and the feminists attack one of their own. The great thing about this pick is that the Republican ticket looks more down to earth and reflective of America and the Democratic ticket looks more aloof and disconnected from the American people.

Sent by Mike Cloghessy | 1:31 PM | 8-29-2008

Insignificant impact... no one is going to be concerned with 2nd fiddle come the nov 4th symphony....

Sent by jim cassin | 1:36 PM | 8-29-2008

It is a very strategic move by McCain. He made the race more competetive now.

Sent by Kiran Kavoori | 1:37 PM | 8-29-2008

She is no Hillary Clinton! Does McCain really think women will fall for this?

Sent by Penny | 1:39 PM | 8-29-2008

McCain picked one someone who is everything he is not: intelligent, young, a woman, ultraconservative on certain issues like abortion. I don't think that the Hillary voters are going to swing over to McCain's side because her take on the abortion issue is too extreme.
I think the country will see it for what it is: a desperate ploy to get more votes. He would'nt need to do this if he were a strong enough candidate himself, but he's not -- old ideas, nothing new to say, keep the status quo. Obama could have done the same thing, but he picked the person he felt was right for the job. Kuddos to Obama for once again standing up for what he believes in.

Sent by Lana | 1:50 PM | 8-29-2008

I agree with Mike Cloghessy's comment. Its interesting that liberals do not give Republican women any credit or recognition. Just like they don't give any credit to Colin Powell, Condi Rice, or Clarence Thomas.

Sent by M Taglieri | 1:55 PM | 8-29-2008

Does anyone here really believe "Michelle Longmore" is real?

More like Stan. A lonely single 58 year old pro-lifer from Skokie, IL who is in favor of the death-penalty.

I wished I was a hired goon to post fake comments on poitic threads.

I was sad, today I had to tell my father that the Replublican party does not care about him anymore. They changed ,... he didn't. He's now in the hands of the pro-life nazis.

Sent by daniel | 1:56 PM | 8-29-2008

Wow! I am finally excited about the Presidential race. I have turned off everything to do with the campaigns since Clinton left the race; Obama's flip flopping platform just turned me off - especially in Iraq. As a lifelong Democrat I kept thinking "could I really vote for McCain? No." Well, I just changed my mind.

Sent by Lily | 2:03 PM | 8-29-2008

While I've been sitting on the fence for quite awhile in this campaign, I must admit that Sarah Palin is a motivating force to swing me to the McCain camp. She represents the compassionate conservatism and across-the-aisle ideals that I believe are needed to redirect how politics occurs in our country. Personally, I also believe there is a lot to be said for someone who is steeped with experience in local politics. It is this type of everyday person that is needed to shake up these campaigns.

Sent by Joseph | 2:26 PM | 8-29-2008

Let me say this once.

Wouldn't her situation with her child mean more to you if she was pro-choice?

I'm not saying that to discredit her. It's just that this point of view seems to be lost in the thought than anyone pro-choice must be pro-death.

Where are these fake women keep popping up from? Mike Savage I'm looking at you!!

Sent by daniel | 2:31 PM | 8-29-2008

As a conservative woman from a conservative state (KY), not even I am fooled by this pathetic choice. Give me a break - Obama's got my vote for sure.

Sent by Amy | 2:57 PM | 8-29-2008

My first thought was "Well, she's no Dick Cheney." Then I wondered whether this selection shows more about old-line Republican male attitudes toward women than it is a sign of the times. It's early yet, but I hope she's not being used as was Harriet Miers (that is: a head-fake to enable Bush to replace Sandra Day O'Connor with a male).

Sent by Flick Bickerson | 3:00 PM | 8-29-2008

The Palin pick by McCain is THE most telling, lack of judgment choice he has made yet. This is not only a most desperate decision, it is the most transparent, cynical and insulting to women.

Desperate McCain took a big hit this week by the Dem's calling him down on the carpet regarding the facts that his self proclaimed "Maverick" status is a sham. This is refuted by the fact of his voting record in the Senate. He voted with President Bush 90 percent of the time.

This choice by McCain is intended to "prove" he is a maverick. It does not. It only proves yet again, how out of touch he is with the ordinary people. He is insulting all of us by this VP pick. Just because she is a woman, disgruntled Hillary supporters are supposed to flock to McCain? Because Palin is a woman, magically, the 39 percent approval rating among women is somehow going to improve? This is an insult to the intelligence of the voters.

The main role of The Vice President of The United States of America is that in the event of the Death of The President, The Vice President becomes The President.

If you think there is division in the Republican Party over John McCain as The Presidential Candidate, just wait until this pick hits the fan. This ex-Mayor of a remote town of 9,000 in Alaska, now Governor of Alaska for only a year and a half is qualified, to be The President if McCain dies in office? Give me a break. He is 72 and not in the best of physical health. This VP choice calls into question his mental health.

This judgment call proves he is not ready to be President.

Think about it. Would you want Palin to make the decision of whether to go to war with Russia over its decision to invade Georgia, just as one example?

Sent by Richard SS | 3:00 PM | 8-29-2008

As an undecided, independent, female voter who voted for Obama in the primaries I am excited about the choice of Sarah Palin for VP on the McCain ticket. Although I am just learning more about her everything I have read so far highlights that she is about practical change and not partisan politics as usual. I consider myself moderate and I am tired of how both the Republican and Democratic parties talk about change but continue with the same corrupt practices in Washington. Although I still haven't decided I am excited about the McCain/Palin ticket really having experience with creating change and having the ability to bring that to Washington.

Sent by Jem | 3:07 PM | 8-29-2008

it is surprising that mccain would bring somebody who is currently under investigation regarding the firing of a public safety commissioner.

Sent by tin | 3:13 PM | 8-29-2008

The point is that choosing a woman, ANY woman, just because she managed to become Governor recently is doubly insulting to women and is practically anti-feminist. It's saying, "Look at me, I like chicks, see, I picked one. Isn't she pretty?" That's different than truly vetting and selecting one of the many highly qualified Republican women out there because you respect and want to work with them. It's assuming women voters are so stupid they'll vote for a woman over more substantive issues. (I voted for Hillary in the primary and am voting for Obama in the general anyway, but if I were a Republican woman I'd be insulted. As it is, I'm gleeful).

Sent by Lainie | 3:20 PM | 8-29-2008

Obama snubbed Hillary, a potential female vp nominee that had more experience than he. What does that say about his judgement. I think it says that women aren't good enough to help him win the Presidency. What about the womens response on here. Women got slapped in the face when Obama snubbed Hillary. Now you have an opportunity to put a women in the VP spot and you are complaining about it. Besides, that acceptance speech was nothing but a cash register tallying up the federal deficit growing. Did you Obama supporters stop watching him long enough to listen to what was actually being said? He is proposing buying all of you with your own tax money and you are ecstatic about it. "I got dozens of friends and the fun never ends that is as long as I'm buyin'. And to the women that made comments about a 4 month old baby and Palins career choice....you women are always bragging about how much more women can do than men. Not only that but ummmm....doesn't she have a husband to help her? As a father of four, I resent the lack of recognition of a father as a 50-50 partner in raising children.

Sent by Shawn | 3:24 PM | 8-29-2008

The underlying implication behind this choice is that women are interchangeable. I find that incredibly patronizing and offensive. I supported Hillary Clinton because she's smart, strong, capable and compassionate, and I agree with her beliefs and values. I'm now supporting Obama because his stance on the issues closely resembles Clinton's. The thought that women would blindly support McCain/Palin just because Palin is a woman is insulting, and implies that women are only interested in gender and ignorant or oblivious when it comes to issues. Sarah Palin is the polar opposite of Hillary Clinton in every way, and I sincerely hope that people won't fall for this cynical and condescending ploy.

Sent by Kristen | 3:47 PM | 8-29-2008

This selection just cemented my belief that McCain has a sincere disdain and attitude of dismissal towards women voters. How incredibly dumb do they think we are?

Sent by na | 3:53 PM | 8-29-2008

Hey Penny,

Not all women support Hillary. Gov. Palin speaks to millions of married women with kids and a career. You should direct your harsh comments at Obama. Afterall, Obama didn't even vet Hillary. Don't chastise McCain because he has the brains to put his EGO aside and choose a woman for the VP slot. Teach the DEMS a lesson and vote for McCain. Or stay home bitter.

Sent by CELTIC TIGER | 3:55 PM | 8-29-2008

Does the Republican Party really believe that women base their vote strictly on gender? To imply that Sarah Palin will give the Hillary supporters an alternative is laughable at best! Palin is an avowed conservative. Hello...Hillary is not!The only thing that would have made her more appealing to the ultra conservative, religious right would have been if she had been "Reverand Sarah Palin." Let's call this what it is...McCain is insulting women by making her his sacrifical lamb and going after the "vagina vote." My husband who has ALWAYS voted Republican made the statement that if McCain picked a female, he would know he was scared. The Democrats should be celebrating this pick, as people like my husband will now vote for Obama!

Sent by Janece Martin | 4:07 PM | 8-29-2008

A parent with 3 children and a 4-month old Downs' Syndrome child has no business running for mayor, let alone VP. Where are the family values here?

Sent by Richard | 4:09 PM | 8-29-2008

McCain does not have any interest or experience to manage the economy (he admitted that himself). Does Palin know how to help the economy?? her solution is lets drill more and give more to the oil companies. She a Dick Chaney clone!

Sent by HF | 4:21 PM | 8-29-2008

very cynical, very calculated and not very subtle.

Sent by Mac | 4:22 PM | 8-29-2008

I find it telling that those criticizing a feminist analysis of the Palin choice are MEN. Not saying that a man can't be a feminist, but please... Get real; we all know you're Republicans.

Sent by Gina | 4:26 PM | 8-29-2008

My first reaction to the Palin pick was wow, that's a great choice...but then I actually thought about it. Why do politicians spend most of their time, money and energy on appealing to people that are already going to vote for them anyway? All the Republican pundits are saying it's a great choice because it's going to "rally the base"--the "base" is already going to vote for you, that's why you call them your "base"!
Palin, as a pro-life, pro-oil drilling, pro-NRA, anti-same sex marriage candidate, doesn't really offer anything new to the ticket that would sway a nonconservative voter over to their side. In fact, it may even drive away a big portion of the moderate independents and Hillary supporters who were seriously considering a McCain vote. And the fact that a mother of a 4 month old baby with Down's Syndrome is willing to put her family duties on hold for a shot at the vice presidency could also ultimately anger a chunk of the Republican conservative family values voters as well.

It also completely takes away the Obama inexperience angle. Every time I read a post from a Republican supporter trying to justify that Palin's record of 4 years on the Wasilla (population 6,500 ) City Council, 6 as Wasilla's mayor, and 1+ year as Alaska Governor is much more credible experience than Obama's service in his state legislature and the US Senate, I laugh out loud.

After closer scrutiny, all in all an extremely weak choice by McCain.

Sent by Angela | 4:41 PM | 8-29-2008

It scares me. We're losing control of our country to someone who is increasing acting like a demagogue. Has he lost his mind? As if it weren't enough to be dragging our country through this Karl Rove mud at a time of great peril, now he leaves it to the populace to decide if this person should be one heartbeat away from the presidency. If she were a mail, everyone would be up in arms over her lack of experience, but she is a female, so we must now watch McCain gamble with the future of our country. The primary value of experience is the increasing levels of responsibility it brings. It's a kind of vetting that takes place, requiring a significant number of years before one should be put in the position of responding to a preemptive nuclear strike. A decision must be made within second to retaliate or not. She is doubtless a good woman, but for her to go so quickly from being Mayor of a town no larger than some public highschools to the youngest governor ever in Alsaka, a state with more reindeer than people, and then be asked to assume this roll. McCain has shown us exactly why we should not make him president. He is indeed a "loose canno: as his own senior Republican peers have said.

Sent by Douglas Dunn | 4:43 PM | 8-29-2008

This whole thing smells rotten. Does McCain really think we are not paying attention?

Sent by Renee Lauzon | 4:53 PM | 8-29-2008

It is clear on this blog that for the most part the women commenting are not really interested in rights for ALL women but only for those who hold to the "liberal" agenda. Perhaps if Sarah Palin had aborted her down syndrome baby the women on this blog would be praising the choice instead of deriding it as sexist. There is no satisfying the feminist liberals.

Sent by Mike Cloghessy | 4:57 PM | 8-29-2008

Hands up all those who think or thought Reagan was a dumb cowboy. You guys do not get it. Gov. Palin is going to appeal to all those who saw Reagan as he was, a clear thinking, thoughtful and principle individual who could use the Office of the Presidency for good purpose. I suspect, though it is still early, that Governor Palin is cut from the same cloth. Somebody found McCain a winner and someone to get all of us traditionalists excited. Of course, most of us don't listen or blog on NPR.

Sent by Bernie | 5:14 PM | 8-29-2008

As an American I am very offended that McCain would pick someone who is under an ongoing Ethics investigation and I am even more offended that the media and Democrats are not discussing this as a problem.

Sent by Christopher Connelly | 5:19 PM | 8-29-2008

I am the single working mother of two teenagers. She is the mother of five. Her oldest son, age 18, is going to Iraq. Her youngest son, 4 months old, has Down Syndrome. She has two teenage daughters, ages 17 and 13, as well as a 7 year old little girl. She will be a heartbeat away from a 72 year old with melanoma in the most stressful and demanding job in the world. Where are the family values in this? Her qualifications? Please. Are they out of their minds?
If Senator McCain wanted my vote, he should have chosen Kay Bailey Hutchinson, Olympia Snow, Elizabeth Dole, Christie Todd-Whitman, or any other number of inspired female choices from the U.S. House and Senate.

This is choice is just insulting to intelligent women; Republicans, Democrats and Independents alike!

Sent by Jane Smith | 5:22 PM | 8-29-2008

Pro-choice doesn't mean pro-abortion.
It's wonderful that she chose to have her baby, but that doesn't mean women shouldn't have the right to get a safe, legal abortion if they so choose.

The fact that Palin claimed to be 'breaking the glass ceiling' in Hillary's stead this morning in her speech was just gross. Palin is NO supporter of women's rights. I was never a big Hillary fan but this is a huge insult to all her hard work.

Hillary worked and campaigned and stood up for women's rights and then this pretty young thing waltzes in from nowhere and claims the title of first women (vice)prez? Not cool.

Sent by Lindsay | 5:44 PM | 8-29-2008

Does McCain really think Palin is qualified to take over the presidency, if needed? His other choices for VP were much more presidential material. Also, the fact that Palin is pro choice will keep Democrats,especially, women from switching to the Republican Party. Obama has a better chance of winning now than ever.

Sent by Mandy | 5:45 PM | 8-29-2008

Shame on NPR for its worshipful coverage of Palin. She may be a "fresh face" who keeps a baby swing beside her desk, but she's also locked in her own corruption scandal that some refer to as "troopergate." I'm also told that her husband works for BP (gosh, it's surprising that she supports oil drilling in Alaska) and that her support of dog racing has made her a target for animal rights groups. Where is the thoughtful investigative journalism that we depend on from NPR?

Sent by Jane Bloodworth Rowe | 5:53 PM | 8-29-2008

Jane Smith do you realize that Barack Obama is not a heartbeat away from the most demanding job in the world he is running for it and with less experience than Palin. Do you also realize that the 66 year old Joe Biden has suffered several brain aneurysms. His health is every bit an issue as you are making McCain's. If Obama is elected we are a heartbeat away from having the most inexperienced candidate in one hundred years alone in the White House.

Sent by Mike Cloghessy | 6:05 PM | 8-29-2008

Since "change" is his slogan, and he wants to "change" Washington ....how come Obama did not pick Hillary or another female? Wouldn't picking a female VP nominee be construed as being consistent with the slogan for "change"?

Sent by Shawn | 6:06 PM | 8-29-2008

Sarah Palin's bio reads a lot like most Alaskans; they hunt & fish, and a large number of them hold a pilots license; and they love to do all of the above with there families.

However, there is one exception; when she was mayor of the borough of Wasilla, she decided to run against and defeated former Governor Murkowski, whom I might add most Alaskans had grown sick and tired of. He doesn't seem to have the skills and grace when it comes to eluding corruption scandals that his sidekick Senator Stevens has. Besides, who else were they going to elect? Tony Knowles? Alaskans were sick and tired of him too.

If elected along with McCain, God forbid the health of this 72 year old man takes a turn for the worst.

Sarah Palin is NO HILARY CLINTON or Chelsea for that matter.

Sent by Monica-Former Alaskan | 6:21 PM | 8-29-2008

One woman is not the same as another! And Michelle, if you truly admire Obama's "policies, ideas, and strengths" how can you even consider voting for anyone- male or female- who so completely opposes them?! Palin is ANTI-CHOICE! For everyone INCLUDING rape and incest victims! She's Big Oil, Big Business, Anti-environment. Sarah Palin oppsoes every single thing Hillary Clinton stands for and has spent her life fighting for!!! Who cares if Palin is a women if she's going to take away our personal freedoms and continue down the Bush/McCain path?! I don't understand people who think that one woman is just as good as another. For the love of God people! Do your RESEARCH!

Sent by LauraG. | 6:22 PM | 8-29-2008

This appears to me to be an act of sheer desperation. Has fear engulfed Mr.McCain?

Sent by Lester Henderson | 6:50 PM | 8-29-2008

The fourth paragraph is an excellent attack on Bush-Cheney and the republicans in congress.

Sent by Charles Phelps | 6:51 PM | 8-29-2008

What a gift to Obama. Once again McCain has displayed that he is no presidential material. What a joke! He will lose this election by biggest margin.

Sent by Gr | 6:54 PM | 8-29-2008

If McCain hopes to attract Hillary supporters with his choice of Palin he's dead wrong. This choice indicates an incredible lack of sound judgment on his part and on the part of his Republican advisers. It shows he is out of touch with what women truly want. He clearly believes that we have no brains and can be hoodwinked to vote for him simply because he put a woman, any woman, on his ticket. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Shame on him!

Sent by Celia C | 6:58 PM | 8-29-2008

What a joke! If McCain and his camp think that Palin even distantly compares to Hillary, then I want some of what they are drinking or smoking. I am pretty sure he could have gone out to the street and randomly picked ANY woman (or man) and that person would have been more qualifed for the VP spot. I can't decide if this choice is more pathetic or insulting. This is even more gimmicky than the "gas tax holiday."

Sent by DebraL | 6:59 PM | 8-29-2008

The current structure of the GOP all but demands Senator McCain bow-down to the social conservative base.

(1)Many of the GOP social conservatives believe a woman's place is "in the home." It is doubtful they would vote for a woman.

(2) McCain burned many bridges with the base with his "agents of intolerance" comment.

Senator McCain has put himself in trouble. He's gambling that the number of disgruntled Senator Clinton supporters--that vote for him-- outweigh the number of his base that are turned off by his choice.

Sent by Unamerican | 6:59 PM | 8-29-2008

As an Alaskan and a diehard Democrat, I've witnessed Sarah's rise in our home state with grudging admiration.

I'd like to suggest to fellow Democrats and all Obama supporters to stop comparing her to Quayle though. You know why? The Bush/Quayle ticket WON!!!!!! It didn't matter that Quayle was a rotten Veep choice. He became Veep. Rather than criticizing McCain's choice of Palin, lets focus on why HE won't be a good president and not focus on her.

Seriously folks. I've watched Palin get dismissed time and time again in Alaska politics, and she comes out swinging and on top every time. Now I know we're just a sparsely populated state far from the center of political power, but consider this...Bill Clinton was also the governor of a small state before his rise to power. BTW, opposite parties not withstanding, Palin has a lot in common with President Clinton when it comes to personal appeal and charisma. Many Alaskans expected to see her in national politics someday, it's just a surprise it happened this soon.

Those of you who think Biden will crush her better prepare themselves to be disappointed. Even if he comes across as more knowledgable on foreign issues, experience doesn't always decide the outcome.

Look at our current president. He didn't have foreign experience when he ran, not to mention coming across as willfully ignorant of the rest of the world. It didn't matter in the end. In a perfect world politics should be about substance, but in reality personal appeal is just as important in elections, if not more so.

I will still vote for Obama, but Palin was a brilliant choice by McCain and the Democrats should not underestimate the threat she poses.

Sent by Jennifer | 7:02 PM | 8-29-2008

Shame on Linda Werthheimer for equating Governor Palin's continuuing a Downs' syndrome pregnancy as "proof-positive" of her pro-life/anti-abortion stand. I am pro-choice and a mother and I can guarantee you that not terminating her pregnancy had nothing to do with her pro-life stand and everything to do with her devotion to her family. I REFUSE to be a single-issue voter and will not throw out the incredible contribution she can make to the campaign and the country because she is pro-life. I'm "Pro-choice for Palin"

Sent by KTannon | 7:05 PM | 8-29-2008

I just want to say, based purely on the understanding that she popped one out at 44, this lady is what is wrong with women in the USA. It should have come as no suprise when she found out her infant was to have down syndrome, as the chances are 1 in 100 post forty. She has been commended by pro-lifers for having the child but really she should be condemned for trying to have children so late when she already had four.

This trend of women thinking they can and should put off having children until they are forty is a real problem. Just because it is possible to conceive so late in life doesn't mean you should. Women are meant to have children in their twenties and early thirties, that is when it best for mother and child.

I believe it is only a matter of time before this problem is presented in the schools as the rate of children with disabilities, inflicted upon them by their selfish mothers, increases rapidly.

So way to go sarah palin for championing bad choices.

Sent by melinder | 7:31 PM | 8-29-2008

I am amazed at the description of Sarah Palin as a fiscal conservative. She just got her way when the legislature voted for her "energy plan" that takes away the gasoline tax, subsidizes energy and gives every Alaskan permanent fund dividend recipient a check for $1200.00. In the stroke of a pen she gave away $975,000,000. This was her simple solution to the very complex energy problems Alaskans face. This is her political acumen, easy solutions to complex problems. Not a good way to run the country as we have seen with George Bush. As an Alaskan, it is scary for me to think she is involved in such high level politics.

Sent by Jean Stage | 7:34 PM | 8-29-2008

As someone who hasn't been paying attention too closely to the news lately, I heard at some point McCain was considering a woman, and I knew at that moment he would pick her. I didn't know then just how poor a pick she is (let us count the ways): zero foreign policy experience; zero completed state-level experience; sum political experience is on the county board and as mayor and Governor in one of the most rural and unpopulated states; hyper-conservative; new parent of an infant with Down's Syndrome (no mother or father should take on a job of this magnitude in her position, and you can't tell me her blue-collar husband is planning to be a stay-at-home dad); caught in a corruption scandal (although I doubt she can be guilty and have been asked to be VP, considering the report on the investigation will come out days before the election); and maybe worst of all, considering that the obvious reason for the choice was that she is a woman, she is one of the least qualified Republican women he could have picked. I am a liberal and have supported Obama or Clinton, but still, this smacks of plans gone awry. Bad, bad judgment, McCain.

These are four fishy posts, especially the final three...McCain campaign workers, perhaps?

-Michelle Longmore

-Jem

-Joseph

-Lily

Sent by Marie | 7:53 PM | 8-29-2008

Didn't McCain give Obama a hard time about not picking the person who got the 2nd most votes? Slightly hypocritical, I'd say.

Sent by G-Jo | 7:56 PM | 8-29-2008

Considering that choice of either Pawlenty, Romney or Guliano would have been a non-event after all this suspense
MCain had to find more of a surprise.
Putting corruption reform at the front
at this point is next to mother and apple pie,but the 4 normal children and taking care of a chromosome 21 child may
appeal to many voters until Sara finds
she may need more help and training to take care of the Down's syndrome. Have to hand it to McCain for finding a way out of the three non-events.

Sent by Frank Lornitzo | 8:24 PM | 8-29-2008

Let us not forget. If you don't like McCain's policies what does it matter who his VP is. For example, the republicans thought Maryland voters would vote or Michael Steele because he was black. It did not matter that he could do the job; Marylanders just didn't want him for the job. I would like to think Clinton supporters are above this old tactic. I don't understand how anyone that supported Clinton would ever vote of McCain. When you compare Clinton to Palin it's like apples and oranges yes they are both fruit but who wants OJ.

Sent by Karlos | 8:38 PM | 8-29-2008

Linda Werthheimer's astonishing condescension toward Ms. Palin this morning took me back to the Clarence Thomas confirmation hearings and Nina Totenberg's infamous "I wonder if he'll recuse himself now, in cases where those who've testified against his confirmation come before the court" gaffe.

It seems that "the ladies," as they've been known for 30 years, are still not self-aware enough to know how they come off when their partisanship is on their sleeves so, so saliently.

Sent by Scott Marquardt | 8:40 PM | 8-29-2008

I keep reading the comment that Palin as a VP pick will woo female voters, particularly the Hillary supporters. Why? Just because she's a woman? Palin is very anti-abortion, she has zero experience in Washinton, NO foreign policy expertise to speak of, and has been governer of Alaska for all of two terms. The people who supported Hillary didn't support her just because she was a woman, they supported her because of her experience and they agreed with her on major issues. Not just because she's a woman. Give us more credit than that, McCain. We're not just gonna vote for any random person just cause they're a woman. I'm sure she has her qualities, and I look forward to reading about what they are. From from the outset, it seems a surprise and disappointing pick.

Sent by Erin | 8:48 PM | 8-29-2008

This is a joke, right? If not, the man is definitely in the early states of Alzheimers. She is definitely not Hillary Clinton. What a shame...how will she have time to govern?

Sent by sunny123 | 9:07 PM | 8-29-2008

McCain is truly out of touch with the American public just as Obama suggested. He met Gov. Palin one time before picking her as his VP? What does that really say about his judgment and ability to make tough decisions. I agree with others who say that her responsibilities as a mother of five, including a four month special needs infant, should trump her dedication and priorities to a nation of millions of people. Is McCain serious? I would be scared to death with McCain/Palin in the white house, literally scared to death!! This move by McCain was desperate, sloppy, hypocritical and plain stupid!

Sent by Jai Wilkes | 9:13 PM | 8-29-2008

I like her honesty in admitting she has not kept up with what is occurring in Iraq. She shouldn't feel left out because of her lack of knowledge because McCain doesn't either and he's been there a # of times.

Sent by Adamwestiii | 9:15 PM | 8-29-2008

This selection has made a mockery of a critical crossroads in our country. She is clearly not prepared for this.

With all of this nonsense they have already begun distracting us from the important issues. He is just trying to out due Obama.

I am very disappointed that Mc Cain has sunk to such a level. Well, we know that Obama was probably a little surprised too, but I know he has long since moved on from this and is focused again on reaching out to all Americans.

Obama is the voice of America!

Sent by Erika Hirsch | 9:55 PM | 8-29-2008

McCain and Palin? What an awesome pair, their strengths and weaknesses compliment the political balance between them.

Sent by Patty | 9:58 PM | 8-29-2008

Sarah Palin is an "avid" hunter. Even if it is in Alaska it is still not necessary. In such a beautiful country one should advocate for preservation, not hunting and oil drilling. This may be a "small" issue to some but it connects to very big things to all.

Killing is NOT a sport. There are over a million other Americans who feel this way.

Sent by Andie | 10:48 PM | 8-29-2008

I thought McCain had more intelligence than to pick Palin.

Frankly, I am kind of embarrassed for the GOP.

I mean, is that the best they can come up with? What happened to the great right-wing think tanks?

It's like McCain torpedoed his own ship.
Here's a 72 year-old fellow who chooses a gal with no foreign policy experience, and she is one heart-beat away from being THE person that would have to go toe to toe with the likes of Putin, Ahmedinijad, Kim Il Sung.
She is essentially a PTA lady.

Well, at least it ensures the GOP will carry Alaska.
Oh, wait, that's already a red state.

Sent by UncleVinny | 10:50 PM | 8-29-2008

Sorry, McCain, I won't vote for you just because you picked a woman for VP, any more than if you had picked an African-American, or Latino. The reason many of us supported Hillary Clinton is because we consider her eminently qualified. The fact that she was a woman was a bonus, not the primary reason for our support. Palin fails the test at every level. She doesn't have the education, experience or knowledge to become VP, much less president of the USA and leader of the free world.

Sent by Celeste | 10:59 PM | 8-29-2008

It's not about the candidate(s), it's about what they stand for. McCain's choice should be insulting to all women if they think we're that stupid. I can not wait until November. Calgon, take me away....

Sent by MB | 11:28 PM | 8-29-2008

As a feminist I'm concerned at the slights aimed at Sarah Palin because she is a woman. If McCain had picked a man of the same experience level would we have said "Oh he only picked him because he's a man?" Or, "He was picked because McCain's going after the male vote."

I think we need to examine our prejudices. Every time the Obama campaign trots out the "because she's a woman" charge, let's look at what we are really saying and where our biases really are.

And as far as why would the Hillary supporters vote for a pro-choice candidate? Maybe because in working our way through the nastiness aimed at her in the primary some of us have decided that this election is about more than one issue. I have a number of friends who are pro-choice and we have respectful conversations, we may disagree, but we can do so with civility.

Yes, there may be Supreme Court choices which we hear every election, but there will be many issues that I'll try to balance as I pick my way through my new Independent voter status and decisions.

Sent by Annetta Forrer | 11:32 PM | 8-29-2008

This clearly epitomizes McCain's detachment from the real world. He would have been better off reaching across party lines and asking Hillary to help him out. A very very inexperienced "politician", soccor mom, NRA member who governs over a state with a population of a metropolitan city, whose demographics include the White as the majority and the remainder Alaskan natives. What about the rest of the country? She has no idea or can relate to issues that deal with the majority of the country or the world for that matter. I also read an article that stated that she was the head of the Alaskan National Guard. Yes the Governor is ceremoniously head of the military organization charged with protecting the state it resides in. But if anyone knows anything about the National Guard it is the TAG who runs the show, the Governor stands by. Foreign policy experience.....please and two ethics investigations to boot. I am sure there are better qualified individuals out there.....Mitt Romney for instance.

Sent by Dorsey | 12:05 AM | 8-30-2008

I have absolutely no issue with Sarah Palin because she is a woman; I have huge issues with her as McCain's VP choice. She has less than 2 years experience as the governor of a state with only 670,000 population. The City of Chicago has 2.8 million people in it and the state of Illinois has 12.8 million population. Being President of the United States is the most complicated, most difficult job in the world. If the Democrats had put anyone on the ticket with as little experience as Sarah Palin the GOP would go nuclear with their attacks. This is a reckless decision, and one that should alarm people of all political persuasions.

Sent by David Bergmire-Sweat | 12:39 AM | 8-30-2008

"I just want to say, based purely on the understanding that she popped one out at 44, this lady is what is wrong with women in the USA. -melinder"
WOW! I'm morbidly curious what other complete nutjob thoughts are running though your head.

Sent by Ryan | 1:12 AM | 8-30-2008

Generally, women who voted for Hillery are pro-choice and not really into guns. Policywise, no real gain there. Conservatives were not going to vote for Obama anyway. No real gain there. This was a pick that was intended to be the lesser of evils. Unfortunately, the experience thing ends up being a minus for the campaign instead of the plus it would have been with a different choice.
Grasping at straws.

Sent by Jack Perkins | 3:11 AM | 8-30-2008

Perfect choice by McCain. Palin has more experience and better qualifications than Obama. She will help solidify the republican voters and attract the Hillary supporters.

Sent by Eliel | 5:31 AM | 8-30-2008

I am extremely insulted by all of the comments that being the Vice President will make her a bad mom. It has never been an issue when a man runs for office! The children do have a FATHER! Do you not think that he is capable of helping to raise his own children?

Sent by Erica | 7:01 AM | 8-30-2008

I might have voted for Hillary, REFUSE to vote for Obama (him as Prez along with those horrible, do nothing nit wits Pelosi/Reid, who have congress at historic lowest levels of approval, is just plain SCAREY), and I HATE McCain, so his veep choice was very important considering his age, and he failed, she is not going to get the Hillary women as she is WAY too extreme against abortion, including in cases of rape or incest or the health of the mother! That is WAY overboard the wrong direction. So, she had better not count on those 18 million votes. If she was more moderate, maybe, but she is way too extreme. She also seems to be like both candidates, willing to give this country over to hordes of invading illegal aliens, so, my vote won't go to anyone who doesn't support border security ASAP.
As for experience, her experience is IMO more than Obamas as being a Gov is a full time job, he spent like what, 145 days in the Senate? The Senate under the Dems has become about a 1/3 of the year job, just part time!
Now, like about 50% of the Americans, I have to hope some viable third party candidate will magically appear for us to vote for, as I feel we have no choices once again!

Sent by Bev | 8:14 AM | 8-30-2008

I am personally insulted by McCain's pick of Palin, does he think we are morans? We need some sense of intellect, some sense of national experience...I would be scared if she god-forbid became President. She recently asked a reporter in an interview, "What does the VP do?" OMG. Women are not stupid, they will not just vote for her because she is a woman, it has to be someone you agree with on ideology, not because of her gender.

Sent by Jill | 9:29 AM | 8-30-2008

McCain has proven beyond all doubt that he is terrified he will lose in November. He is grasping at straws and is just adding a bit of fluff to his campaign to detract voters from his lack of understanding what is needed in this country, Typical Republican thinking theat Americans ar stupid sheep that can be lead anywhere they want us to go.

Sent by Gary | 9:36 AM | 8-30-2008

Barack Obama has proven that he is a great orator and make many big promises, but has not said how he will achieve them, and what has he done to prove his executive skills? Barack has 120 days on thehe congress floor and most of his time has been spent runing for the posistion of president, unlike Gov. Sarah Palin who has actually had experience runing a government and has proven to be non-partisan and is one of the most popular governors in the country proving that she is an able executive that is ablt to get things done by her actions, unlike Obama that has proven he has a lot of hot air but no action.

Sent by trueblueamerican | 9:38 AM | 8-30-2008

Palin endorses animal abuse, including the Iditarod. This sled dog race has a long, well-documented history of dog deaths, illnesses and injuries. What happens to the dogs includes: death, paralysis, frostbite where it really hurts (you know where!), bleeding ulcers, bloody diarrhea, lung damage, pneumonia, ruptured discs, viral diseases, broken bones, torn muscles and tendons, vomiting, hypothermia, sprains, fur loss, broken teeth, torn footpads and anemia. For more facts about this cruel race, visit the Sled Dog Action Coalition website. Most women care deeply that animals are treated humanely. Something is terribly wrong with Sarah Palin.

Sent by Margery Glickman | 10:14 AM | 8-30-2008

I find it hard to believe that Palin could draw Hillary supporters just by being a woman, with none of Clinton's experience, ideology and record. I am deeply hurt at what seems like objectification of women which I see in the choice of placing a woman without sufficient credentials on the ticket, and then expecting her to draw votes based on gender...shades of Clarence Thomas and his token African American-ness. Palin is more likely to _patch_ the cracks that Hillary made in the glass ceiling!

Sent by Margaret | 10:51 AM | 8-30-2008

I'm afraid Palin as real appeal:
1. the christian fundamentalists, 2. the pro Hilary camp who care more about a woman winning than about her politics, 3. those who'd vote for a chipmunk over having black people in the white house.

Sent by HK | 11:22 AM | 8-30-2008

Palin looks like good balance,this is going to be the most exciting election ever. The scare tatics from either party aren't going to work anymore. There will be real issues and their answers. We will all benefit from this.

Sent by Carol | 11:53 AM | 8-30-2008

It seems McCain's VP choice is not necessarily what America needs, but what McCain needs to be president.
All I can say is good luck with that!!!

Sent by Pam | 11:55 AM | 8-30-2008

Hey Mike--

We're not buying it.

You have not even a clue what it means to be a woman--or what women's rights include.

Palin is just a feather in McCain's hat. That's a feminist analysis.

Any person with two synapses to fire together would come to the same conclusion.

Sent by Gina | 12:43 PM | 8-30-2008

As a woman and a mother I am disappointed that a woman with a six month old child would chose to put ambition before a child with down syndrome. Yuck. Double Yuck.

Sent by Sez | 12:46 PM | 8-30-2008

As an independent working mom with a very demanding professional job, I'm thrilled with McCain's choice - certainly not 4 more years Bush! I'll trust a Mom of 5 not to ignore health care, education and the financial future of her children over any male politician with or without experience or children!

You don't hear anyone saying "How dare O'Bama run for VP with 2 little girls at home!"

Sent by Karen | 12:51 PM | 8-30-2008

I think McCain just jumped the shark.

Some people will try to deny and paint a rosy picture but deep down inside how many people are going to feel comfortable with her in the VP spot? Maybe the evangelicals but not too many other people including non-evangelical republicans.

Sent by Sandra | 1:19 PM | 8-30-2008

To all of you saying that Palin has more experience than Obama, please check the facts.

Obama has served in the United States senate for 2 years. He has been senator for Illinois for 8 years.

Palin has been governor of Alaska for 20 months. Prior, she served as a mayor of Wasilla, Alaska (population 8,471), for 2 years.

Whatever our leanings, can we at least agree on facts?

I know very little of Palin and, like everyone else, I cannot predict her successes and failures in office, but this isn't about Palin.

John McCain's own campaign has said he had spoken to Palin only once prior to choosing her (in February), and changed his mind about his VP pick only after Obama named Biden. Now I don't care whether you are conservative, liberal, feminist, etc., but if you have any common sense whatsoever, it is clear that something other than this woman's credentials suddenly prompted McCain to change his mind and pick her, a SHE, a woman. But apparently, McCain thinks very little of American women and their common sense.

I love my country enough to ask that important decisions like who will govern and protect it are not based solely on targeting a demographic to get an easy vote. It's an insult. Women and men of this country deserve more than this.

Sent by MW | 1:27 PM | 8-30-2008

Sarah Palin was a brilliant choice. She certainly reinforces the "independence" of McCain. Palin solidifies the Republican base since she is ardently pro-life, pro NRA and fiscally conservative. Palin is a woman and can potentially identify with women who are disgruntled with Clinton's loss. Finally, it must be stated that she is inexperienced. But do Democrats want to make this a central issue? For obvious reasons this would undermine their ticket. In other words Palin contributes in a plethora of ways...and even her apparent weakness could strangely expose her opponent.

Sent by Paul | 1:56 PM | 8-30-2008

Am I the only one who first thought: "who's going to take care of her children?"

Sent by christy | 2:02 PM | 8-30-2008

I have heard women say, "I don't know anything about her, but I like her." And I want to vomit. Then again it doesn't surprise me that American society has dumbed itself down into choosing someone based on the color of their skin or gender. What scares me the most is that people actually buy into it.

Sent by Candee | 2:43 PM | 8-30-2008

I am offended at McCain! In case he hasn't noticed women actually vote on issues. Palin is as far right wing as he could possibly have chosen and if he thinks that disgruntled Hillary fans will vote for them because he has a woman on the ticket is utterly preposterous. She's against abortion rights, believes in Creationism, an NRA fanatic and has literally no experience? How in the world could he possible think that we would vote for him/her just because the only thing she has in common with Hillary is that she is a woman? We're much more intelligent than that McCain! Obama/Biden 08.... all the way to the White House.

Sent by Donna in Texas | 2:45 PM | 8-30-2008

McCain has proved that he puts himself before his country, Obama hit a home run with Biden as VP, McCain has thrown a Hail Mary pass, and has shown his contempt of women at same time

Sent by E. Michael | 3:08 PM | 8-30-2008

I thought about it Christy. I have a son that's had Type I juvenile diabetes since the age of 11 and a grandson with cancer; it's a full-time job. -- Which reminds me, will the ex-maveric flip-flop on embryonic stem-cell research next? It's looking that way to me with this hard-core right-wing pick. I know several people who said as long as McCain passed embryonic stem-cell research they would be okay with him or Obama.....I think McCain just lost those people too.

Sent by Sandra | 3:32 PM | 8-30-2008

Where are Governor Palin's priorities? She is described as a conservative right-to-life mother. Yet, if elected she will have young children at home that need a mother. At her age, she could become pregnant anytime during her term. Also, at any time after the election, McCain, a 72 year old cancer survivor, could be gone. What then? Running this country is a full-time job. Being a mother is a full time job. Pick one Governor Palin!

Sent by M from North Carolina | 3:38 PM | 8-30-2008

1) why can't a woman have children - even special needs - and a career? I think voters concerned about equal rights should consider that this is a man willing to invest in raising the kids. He's just as capable as caring for a special needs child as a woman is - right?
2) why can't a woman have both intelligence and beauty? I've heard multiple compliments about Michelle Obama's style and brains. So voters should be consistent in their thinking: there's nothing wrong with having both leadership skills and photogenic looks. Don't discriminate against someone based on their looks.
3) voters who want executive experience need to line up time spent at respective desks: during her governorship, Palin spent hard hours leading - more hours, in fact, than the presidential nominee Obama who spent two of three senatorial years campaigning.
4) voters who suggest that this shows a shallow appeal by McCain to swing voters should consider that he's no stranger to women in leadership: his wife runs a large, successful company, has been involved for years in humanitarian causes around the world, and brought home a new baby of her own volition.
5) the problematic nature of "lack of experience" does not actually cut both ways: not only does Palin have more hours logged in executive experience, in contrast to the oft-campaigning Obama, but she is the VP nominee, not the nominee for President. You cannot equate the two and be consistent.
6) all women should be gracious enough to applaud a competent woman being chosen as VP nomination; as, in fact, Palin was, when she acknowledged the trailblazing work accomplished by Ferraro and H. Clinton. Ladies, sharpening claws does not make us look well-thought, but simply petty. Disagree with her positions, not her lifestyle choices leading to health or her choices in lipstick.

Sent by Elizabeth | 4:18 PM | 8-30-2008

There are pros and cons, but the deal-breaker for me is that, for all her positive qualities, this woman is NOT qualified to be President.

Sent by J in Des Moines | 4:23 PM | 8-30-2008

Sent by Sohada Francis | 5:17 PM | 8-30-2008

My 2 cents: Already Alaskans are writing in to say that they thought she was close to incompetent as their Governor. The vast majority of Hilary supporters are pro-choice and won't vote for this woman if you held a gun to their heads - so throw out that logic. I'm betting McCain knows he has no chance in hell of winning and is simply pandering to the Right-wing. Either that or he's gone senile.

Sent by Julie in San Pedro | 5:26 PM | 8-30-2008

Kitty said it, "As a woman, I am seriously disapointed in McCain's pandering for my vote--just one more example of 'not getting it.'"
McCain is just proving beyond the shadow of a doubt that he does not get it. Sure, Palin is a woman, young, and a decent speaker, but that's about it. She represents nothing that I stand for, has nothing to show for women and children's interests, nothing to show that she understands what is need to fix our economy. She's just a cheerleader for the usual conservative agenda, with enough sincerity to come across as fresh and inspiring. I'm pretty insulted that McCain would think that choosing a woman just because she's a woman is going to win my vote.

Sent by Erin | 5:39 PM | 8-30-2008

It's as if he thought women Clinton supporters were interested in CHROMOSOMES and not ISSUES. I am deeply insulted by the Palin choice. And I really can't imagine McCain actually listening to her ideas anyway.

I too suspect the "Michelle" Longmore who commented above is a McCain staffer.

Sent by Pamela | 5:46 PM | 8-30-2008

after hours of pondering this pick, I am still mind boggled. does anyone else here lose sleep over the state of this nation? I hear Rome was in a similar state before it collapsed.

Sent by rudy | 6:21 PM | 8-30-2008

Palin experienced!? give me a break. There are mayors with larger populations to govern, and they don't get chosen for VP. She has been in office less than two years and has zero foreign policy experience.
Let's face it, she was picked because she is a female George Bush. A good ole girl who will appeal to all those gun totin, anti-choice, fundamentalists who don't give a damn about foreign policy and will do anything to keep an African/American out of the Presidency.
This Nation will be in deep trouble if McCain/Palin win. Can you say "President Palin"?

Sent by Rich S | 9:15 PM | 8-30-2008

Face it...if Palin's CV were evaluated without information of her gender, her qualifications would not have landed her in the top 100 of Republican candidates.

Sent by Tom Naypauer | 9:32 PM | 8-30-2008

I'm 60 years old. I am a democrat. I am a feminist who marched in the 1970's for passage of the ERA, gay rights, and the right to chose safe, legal abortions. (BTW, one of the first protests was against beauty contests!!)

I remember all too vividly the years of having to work twice as hard, be twice as smart and twice as dedicated to gain half of the recognition in the workplace and earn 60% of every dollar earned by a man!

How dare John McCain pick as his running mate a woman with less than half of the experience needed to run this country should something happen to him. I am outraged and terrified that this candidate could potentially be the next president.

I get the political benefits of selecting a female VP and had wondered if he might do that. There are females in the Republican party -- think Senator Elizabeth Dole of North Carolina -- who would have been considered strong candidates. Had he done so, I doubt that feminists would be weighing in with such anger. The insult is not just that he chose a woman for such an obvious political reason, but that he chose a woman with so little to bring to the table. He must truly have had a senior moment to pick Governor Palin. And, where were his advisors? Couldn't someone have pulled him aside to suggest that this might not be a great pick?

Women certainly can be mothers and hold positions of power. However, let me be clear. It is not creating support for families to assume that we can drop babies and keep right on truckin'! True support of families comes from a recognition on the part of government and business that having and raising children takes commitment and time. I still have a vision for a world in which both mothers and fathers can adjust their work hours in the months following the birth of a child. We fought to bring about a world where mothers and fathers could nurture and care for children. To take on a task of this enormity just 4 months after the birth of a child with Downs Syndrome doesn't sit well. Yes, women CAN do anything, but do we have to?? Can't we balance our lives and the lives of our families a bit better than this?

Sent by Maggie Martin | 9:38 PM | 8-30-2008

It is truly refreshing to have a candidate that is non partisan, that has the guts and courage to even go against her own party when they are corrupt, like the corrupt congress that has a 9% popularity rating.

Sarah Palin is the only one that is not a part of the DC insider clic and her fight to keep transparency in politics and her dogged determination to do what is right is the reason she has such a high popularity rating.

All the rantings about this honest and fair govenor betrays the fear that many are expressing, the fear that she will shine a light on a big government, egocentric Obama, that is left of liberal.

Sent by trueblueamerican | 9:47 PM | 8-30-2008

Yes, many of us lose sleep over the state of our nation and this world and know we need to change direction on numerous critical issues. I will lose even more sleep to think of McCain and Palin being elected and our nation having an unqualified VP one heartbeat away from a 72 year old President who has had multiple recurrences of melanoma, a deadly cancer.

Sent by Bev | 12:05 AM | 8-31-2008

It's bad decision of McCain pick Palin ;She isn't match for Hillary Clinton,is going to cost the White House to republicans,
PD:I'm Republican but i'm in doubt to vote for McCain to pick an person with non experience ....
Thanks

Sent by Manny Leon | 1:04 AM | 8-31-2008

I think McCain has really lost his marbles. Until yesterday I worried that he might have a chance in the campaign if he made the right choice for his VP. Phew! The worrying is over. Like a soldier wanting his ticket home, he shot himself in the foot. What would make him want to take a fall like this? Whatever the answer, he can start thinking about it tomorrow or wait until Nov 4 when the voters send him the message loud and clear -- war hero, yes, fit and ready for duty as president -- don't make me laugh.

keep fighting the good fight friends and treat your fellow Americans and citizens of the world with more respect than has been shown us by the Republicans over the past 8 long years. No more being lied to by political hacks good old boys who think they are above the law and know better as to what's right and wrong. They've poured the good name of this country in the toilet and chuckled as the water swirls in the bowl. Take note that they are not in the bowl with the rest of us, of course.

Let's all send McCain the message he deserves in November, 8 years is enough and your no maverick, your just another John looking for a cheap trick.

Sent by Christian | 1:56 AM | 8-31-2008

If John McCain's sole purpose behind choosing Palin as his running mate was to instill knee-knocking, gut-wrenching fear into the liberal, leftist, Obama-worshipers, I tip my hat to him.
Brilliant, Capt. McCain, brilliant!

Sent by Chief Hinely | 9:44 AM | 8-31-2008

Wow! I'm shocked to hear the following terms used to criticize McCain's selection of Palin as his running mate; to whit: "unqualified", "sex discrimination", "affirmative action" "preferential treatment". Okay, just kidding! No such denunciations have been uttered. Obviously his selection of Palin isn't to engage the term "affirmative action", or is it? Looks like a duck, walks like a duck...

Given the arguments used by critics of equal employment opportunity I'm amazed there's no such denunciation from this segment of the populace regarding McCain's interesting (senior moment?) decision, or are they deferring to McCain in order to appear nondiscriminatory?

Trust me--I'm in my dotage and recognize age discrimination when it's in front of me. It's ugly. I'm sure McCain can tell when he's being patronized because of his 72 years.

Knowing his temper can be hair-trigger at times, I'll wager none of the people around him want to get hit with a bowl of prunes, or cold oatmeal knowing they can keep their mouths shut and stay in his graces instead of asking him if he knows what the heck he's done.

Hmm, most of them have future jobs riding on their ability to let the emperor wear his stylish new clothes with confidence, and for that reason one would think they would overcome their fear. Maybe they'll figure out they should draw straws to see who explains how bad his decision was for the party.

Sent by George Edward | 9:56 AM | 8-31-2008

Who is Sarah Palin? Here's some basic background:

She was elected Alaska's governor a little over a year and a half ago. Her previous office was mayor of Wasilla, a small town outside Anchorage. She has no foreign policy experience.1

Palin is strongly anti-choice, opposing abortion even in the case of rape or incest.2

She supported right-wing extremist Pat Buchanan for president in 2000. 3

Palin thinks creationism should be taught in public schools.4

She's doesn't think humans are the cause of climate change.5

She's solidly in line with John McCain's "Big Oil first" energy policy. She's pushed hard for more oil drilling and says renewables won't be ready for y ears. She also sued the Bush administration for listing polar bears as an endangered species--she was worried it would interfere with more oil drilling in Alaska.6
How closely did John McCain vet this choice? He met Sarah Palin once at a meeting. They spoke a second time, last Sunday, when he called her about being vice-president. Then he offered her the position.

Sent by Mark Barrera | 10:08 AM | 8-31-2008

"Have your reporters really listened to themselves when they criticize Gov. Palin? Exactly what foreign policy experience does Barack Obama have? A whirlwind trip just after the primaries? I cannot even listen to NPR and get some objective perspective on what is going on during this election season? Where is your sense of fairplay? WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO JOURNALISM IN THIS COUNTRY.

Sent by Sohada Francis"

He's on the foreign relations committee and has worked on nuclear nonproliferation. Governor Palin says she has no stance on Iraq because she "hasn't given it much thought."

Whatever Obama lacks in foreign policy is reinforced by Biden, who shares a similar foreign policy worldview. However if something were to happen to McCain (he is 72 and a 4 time cancer survivor), Palin will be at the top of the ticket and as far as I know she doesn't have developed foreign policy ideas... which leaves her open to being shaped easily by the hawks on McCain's team.

Sent by Phi | 10:13 AM | 8-31-2008

Interesting that McCain made an "affirmative action" choice when the Republicans decry such behavior in others.

Sent by Dr. Suzanne Schmidt | 10:18 AM | 8-31-2008

Slight of hand is the prime trick of the deceiver. How many times has McCain deceived the public already? It is the Republican modus operandi. Alaska has oil fields that the Republicans have wanted to tap and have fought fiercely in Congress to do just that as well as GWB, without budging the Democrats to decimate the wilderness and its preservation. Palin is their inside card, so obvious that it is amazing that more have not made this connection. This issue apparently overrides any inexperience the woman has in world affairs (which should have been of paramount importance given the utter chaos America's reputation currently has in the world!). Of course they want a woman there in the second most powerful office of the land who will not give the warmongers and industrial war complex any grief over continuing the illegal war in Iraq and AND waging war on Iran! without having won any war at all in Afghanistan and now for all tense and purposes ignoring the complicity of Pakistan. Is it rhetorical to ask how blind can we be?

The women issue here on this thread regarding Mrs. Palin's motherhood by noticeable Republican women, and men, and Democrats alike is mere smokescreen and really a non-issue. We are here talking about qualification for Vice President of the United States. The woman is comparatively and precisely unqualified in preparation for that office. The only qualification she has is two years as governor of a state where oil is once again coveted except not in another country this time in ours.

Sent by Shenonymous | 10:49 AM | 8-31-2008

McCain has really shot himself in the foot picking Palin for VP. He way underestimates the intelligence of women.

Sent by David Snorsna | 10:56 AM | 8-31-2008

JUST SAY NOBAMA !!!
Oh stop whining Democrats ... for the past 1 1/2 years, you've been trying every trick in the book to shove an inexperienced, empty suit, Barack Hussein Obama, down the throats of Americans. Sure, maybe you sweetened the bad taste by adding pretty speeches, big swooning crowds, and fireworks ... but, you still tried to shove him down our throats, at every opportunity. Democrats, it was a lot easier to highjack the primary election than it's going to be with the general election. Looks like America is going to elect McCain/Palin for President and V.P.. And, that means: No Wright, no Farrakahn, no Ayers, no Rezko, no mean Michelle, and, NOBAMA !!!

Sent by Howard | 11:18 AM | 8-31-2008

McCain VP pick is an insult to any thinking woman. Does he really think that the Hillary supporter are going to vote for Palin? Perhaps the Rusch Limbaugh women voters who voted for Hillary in his operations chaos campaign will vote for her but a woman who believes in what Hillary stands for .... not a chance.

Of the 18 million women who voted for Hillary in the primaries I wonder how many are the result of Limbaugh's "Operations Chaos?"

McCain's VP pick is pathetic and desperate.

My vote is with the Obama/Biden ticket.

Pat

Sent by Pat | 11:18 AM | 8-31-2008

What is he saying here? Does he seriously think that women are interchangeable accessories? That he can wave this relatively unknown, inexperienced female politician at us and we're not going to notice the difference between her and Hilary? As a woman I find that notion incredibly insulting. Hilary didn't accomplish what she did because she's a woman, she did it in spite of that fact. Good luck, McCain if you think we're too stupid to know the difference or that all these women were voting on the sex of the candidate alone.

Sent by Tina Henry | 12:00 PM | 8-31-2008

My Vote goes to Barry Obama & Joe Biden ~~How can Mc Cain pick a woman who is no comparison with Hillary Clinton what an insult to Hillary suporters How Stupid do they think we are ~ I really wanted to see Hillary win ~ she didn~t this time ~ I`m sure she will be standing by Obama & Biden all the way Girls ~ One day I believe She will be President / One thing at a time History is in the Making It is time for a Black & white American with a Heart for Unity ~ which we need desperatly as we are all created equal ~We all have rights to The American Dream . We must stand for change not another 4 years of the same !!!!!!

Sent by Gloria | 12:05 PM | 8-31-2008

Her nomination fills me with excitement and trepidation. I embrace her commitment to "doing the right thing" and to expect Americans to be personally accountable -- a Presidential position that has not bee nwell-prsented since the Reagan era. However, this MUST be done without marching behind a cross. Personal faith can be a great motivator, so long as you recognize there are other parts of the world that feel just as strongly about thier beliefs. If she justifies action with religious content, global angst will only grow more against us.

Sent by Robert Bittner | 12:20 PM | 8-31-2008

She's another religious nut-job that will take this country further down the road of insanity. She's NOT an average citizen, and definietely NOT an average mother! She's a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Sent by Rick | 12:35 PM | 8-31-2008

My take: John McCain choose Palin for the obvious quest for Hillary votes. I predict that IF he wins the election with Palin as his running mate, he will dump her or she will resign (all of this had been worked out before he made his choice of Palin). She knows about it and agrees with it. There are certainly a lot of outs for Palin--her youngest child's problems, biting off more than she could chew, etc... In the end, if this works for McCain, he will get the Veep that the GOP really wants and will have hoodwinked all those vulnerable women. It will be impossible for anyone to prove this, so the whole plan is hellishly brillant. I do hope that the American people will see this obvious ploy and remember that the Republicans will do anything to stay in power.

Sent by Douglas Dunaway | 12:58 PM | 8-31-2008

Well, interesting to know that women were only constitutionally allowed to vote in 1920. And now 88 years later - we think we've come a long way, baby? I don't think so...
Hillary Clinton, age 60 years old, attorney who graduated from Yale, State Senator, long history in politics, former first lady gets pummeled by upstart Obama. Oh yes, I'm a woman, I'm an underdog, I have to be a democrat - even if the democrat party nominee betrayed us 50% or so of the population by going with a man - over an experienced woman for his VP -Hillary had 18 million or more of the population on board supporting her - but that wasn't enough for him - don't get me wrong - I think Joe Biden is great - I always liked him - for a presidential candidate though - Hmm, question -if Hillary can run again in 8 years she will be 68 - will that be too old for a woman to be president considering most women nowadays live well into their 80s??? And usually live longer than the average man? Point is, Obama could have waited till 2016 - he'd still be in his 50s but he could not even give Hillary the VP nomination - why? I'll tell you why... Bill Clinton. For someone who is purported to be a the great diplomat, Obama the unflappable; something or rather someone got under Obama's skin, that someone who stuck in his craw was Bill Clinton. Oh Bill, why'd you have to f- it up for Hillary?

So now here comes McCain. We waited and waited... when is McCain going to pick his VP? He was waiting. He knew he was in a weak position and in a reactionary position so he found the way to stick it to Obama and in some ways his own party that believe women are better off at home. I never heard of Sarah Palin - so like everyone else in the country I had to "look her up". "Hey, Sarah P... what say you?" All I know is that she is a super over acheiver!!! She makes me feel like eeeks such a layabout!! She's 3 years older than me but has 5 children. Her eldest child is 18 and being deployed to Iraq, her youngest is only 4 months old and has Down's syndrome. She looks fantastic for someone who just had a baby. Motherhood aside, she was Mayor of town outside of Anchorage and the first woman Governor of Alaska. She was the ethics commissioner on Alaska's Oil and Gas Conservation Commission. This is HUGELY important when we are in a time where oil prices, supply and the international issues associated with oil are effecting Americans like no other time in history (even the Carter era can't compare to this time). So, sure we could say this woman doesn't have the experience. Ah, but there's the mud in your eye - you say she's not old enough or experienced enough and oops, didn't a bunch of people say that about Obama??? She's the mirrored image of Obama in the form of oh no, a woman!!!
chantal hachem

Sent by Chantal Hachem | 5:47 PM | 8-31-2008

They couldn't get anyone the any real gravitas accept. She's clearly the third round pick.

Also, Per NPR's wedsite:

"A Hint Of Scandal?

When McCain introduced Palin, he described her as "squeaky clean." She is under investigation, however, to determine if she used undue influence in trying to fire a state trooper. He happened to be going through a messy divorce from her sister at the time."

Wonder why this wasn't mentioned in the broad cast either Friday Saturday AM. Oh, right it was Simon and Inskeep they only read GOP press released and recite GOP talking points.

Sent by Grumpy Demo | 6:25 PM | 8-31-2008

After reading all the wonderful skewed comments on this page I can almost smell the fear, the fear that this way too honest governor from Alaska will expose Obama for the big govenment, left of liberal Washington insider that he really is.

Sent by trueblueamerican | 8:38 PM | 8-31-2008

When growing up in Alaska in the 60's and 70's there was the expression, "We (Alaskans) don't give a damn how they do it in the Lower 48 (the rest of the United States). My concern is that Sarah Palin has grownup to embody those those same feelings towards everything outside of Alaska. Alaska is a remote location and you have a tendency to focus your life on it because of your remoteness. (the only practical way to exit the state is by plane)

Standing up to Big Oil sounds like a big deal, but is it anything to standing up to Countries like Russia, Iran or China? Being Mayor of a small town in Alaska or the Governor of a very small state in terms of population is a world away from being Vice President of the United Sates, or God forbid President of the United States should something happen to John McCain early in his presidential term, should he be elected.

Sent by Joe Loudermilk | 9:11 PM | 8-31-2008

I can't agree that Palin will attract women voters that wouldn't have voted Republican in the first place. She is just another conservative hypocrite -- aggressive and self-serving, compensating for her C average intelligence. Who would make a speech after her water broke--then get on a plane for 8 hrs to birth a child in Alaska? That is irresponsible to the baby's, as well as her own, health. That act alone makes me question her ability to make good decisions. Then I think, would she have done that if the baby wasn't down syndrome? If McCain died in office, this woman would destroy this country! Ole John is insane--our lives, our country should matter more than a "fun gamble for a billionaire."

Sent by barbiv72 | 10:05 PM | 8-31-2008

When Palin refers to herself as a "hockey mom", or "soccer mom", she is lying.
A "soccer mom" (or other such moniker)is nothing but a euphemism for a stay-at-home mom who has given up her carrer, or pur her career on hold, to take care of the kids, which happens to include driving them to soccer or hockey practice, and taking the primary responsibility of raising the kids. Palin is exactly the opposite! She has decided to take on a full-time job and leave the kids at home.

Sent by A real soccer mom | 10:35 PM | 8-31-2008

Phi
Ignorance is really bliss. I do not involve in arguments with ignorant people. Please read a little more on your candidate. He has been so busy running for President that he has not even had a chance to hold a meeting of his foreign relations sub-committee. 'Nuff said.

Go do your usual and bully others. It is what you do best. :-)

Sent by Sohada | 3:16 PM | 9-1-2008

MCCAIN HAS REALLY LOST IT. PALIN SHOULD BE TAKING CARE OF HER FAMILY. SHE OBVIOUSLY HAS NOT BEEN DOING A VERY GOOD JOB AT HOME. HER 17 YR OLD DAUGHTER IS PREGNANT. MAYBE IF MOM SPENT MORE TIME AT HOME THIS WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED. HOW WILL SHE RUN OUR COUNTRY WHEN MCCAIN TAKES PHYSICALLY ILL. THIS IS NUTS.

Sent by BARBARA JUAN | 7:59 PM | 9-1-2008

I was never "big" on politics until I met and married my husband (who has introduced me to NPR), we have watched the debates, read the articles and had or discusions. Before meeting my husband I was a working mother of two and with him had a third child. My husband has written a blog about 50/ 50 parenting and about why a woman could not do both parenting and work, which I kindly thanked him as a remark about me. My husband as also brought up in a in home discusion, about minding the til and woman wanting fair share yet when a woman canidate is chosen, we still complain. Well it is obvious that in Palins case she could not mind her til, did she expect her husband to discuse the bird and the bees with her daughter? Maybe how to handle the monthly issues that teen girls and woman have? Also does McCain really think the Bull Dog will ease up on Palin because she is a woman, if she wants it fair I say go after her like any other canidate. People need to do their own research about what is going on then jumping on the band wagon, find out about the issues at hand and decide for yourself. And when did looks have anything to do with who is qualified to run the country, I mean we have had some good looking Presidents but they were also "qualified and exprienced". This is not Holly Wood and our country is breaking apart and frankly the candidates we have to chose from are not the best. I think we have to ask ourselves not who is going to be a good president but who won't screw it up worst in the next four years so that Hilary and Bill can get back into the office and fix it yet once again.

Sent by Amber | 9:38 PM | 9-1-2008

John MCCain is crazy Poor thing he cannot think .See a lady and say she will be my nunning mate both of you keep running. It wont work .You made a change that no one wont.

Sent by sent by Veoria ---12:31am----9--2--08 | 1:33 AM | 9-2-2008

The most serious charge against Palin, apart from her nearly total lack of the experience a vice president needs if she's to step into the presidency, isn't her flip-flop about The Bridge to Nowhere, her membership in an off-the-wall secessionist organization fourteen years back, her husband's long-ago drunk driving episode, or her apparent failure to provide her daughter with a chastity belt in lieu of sex education and birth control. It's that she seems to have used her position as governor to fire a capable public servant for refusing to fire a bad-news ex-family member. We already have a v.p. who doesn't give a damn about the law, ethics, or principles and uses his office for the vindictive persecution of personal enemies. The idea of having another should frighten Americans of all political stripes, male or female.

Sent by Dona | 10:00 AM | 9-2-2008

I don't know if I remember hearing her name on McCain's list of canidates. It looks to me that he wants to lose this race. My prayers goes out to Mrs. Palin and her family, because a lot of families have gone throught the same thing with their children and have been victims themselves. I don't feel he (McCain) chose Gov. Palin for her abilities and capabilities and I do hope I am wrong about this, I actually feel he is using her because she is a woman.

Sent by Janice Holmes | 1:26 PM | 9-2-2008

I think Trig is Bristol's baby, also if Sarah Palin don't want her children scrutinized by the public, why then do she bring them out in the public? I see Willow signing autographs, and what about the article about her trying to get marijuana legalized in Alaska, and how dare she say babies should be born from rape and incest, and the world in such a mess now because of young mothers, Mothers having to work and be away from theie children, Mothers not nuturing and taking time with their children, and it stands to reason why her daughter have one child and is pregnant again there's to much going on in her household, and why don't her husband have a job? John McCain shame on you, You are truly out of touchwith reality.

Sent by Audrey Bailey | 3:06 PM | 9-3-2008

If she was a man, we won't even ask whether she was able to take care of her kids and do her job. What about OBAMA and staying home to take care of his kids!!! It is amazing to me that people are that weak and simpled minded to think a women can not handle this job. There is nothing wrong with being a great mom and having a job. Also, so what if she is unknown, I for a fact lived in Alaska and it is a wonderful state and I'm glad she not from the inner circle. Please wake up and see the light. Sarah Palin is an amazing mom and person.

Sent by steph | 11:09 PM | 9-3-2008

I think Sarah Palin is the breath of fresh air that America has been waiting for. After hearing her speach last night I felt like we have someone out there fighting for the blue collar people again. She is so down to earth and classy...almost like Jackie Kennedy.

Sent by Kandy Nanfito | 9:29 AM | 9-4-2008

1. Does Gov. Palin have ambition and drive - yes
2. Does Gov. Palin have experience - NO
3. Does Gov. Palin have integrity, let's see how the abuse of power plays out
4. Is Gov. Palin comparable to Hillary, Obama, etc --absolutely not.
5. Do I question her ability because she is a woman and Republican - NO, I question her ability due to less experience than Obama, and even other more qualified Republican women and men!
Remember - she was free to make her choice to keep her baby - her choice, others deserve the right to make a choice on abortion.
Let the defensible facts speak for themselves: No experience, possible abuse of power, and minimal education (yes, education gives one perspective).

Sent by CHF | 6:48 PM | 9-5-2008

Let's see...
I'm a mother of 3.
I have an Autistic-special needs child.
I help run a family business.
I am a christian independent.
I am a conservative w/ a liberal cause close to my heart.
I felt Sarah Palin's speech was nasty and condescending.
I am angry at McCain for choosing Palin over several better qualified women.
I'm disapointed that McCain thinks just any woman could step into the VP role and we would vote for her.
I will not vote for McCain because I do not trust Sarah Palin. She reminds me of what is so wrong in the white house right now.

Sent by hayley | 12:08 AM | 9-6-2008